Alterraun Verner to replace Cromartie?

NYJetsVets91

Well, there's goes every NYJ fan's pipe-dream.

Honestly, I think we should put almost all of our focus in both FA and the draft into the offense. I'd like to see us go after Greg Jones, Edelman, Nicks, and Schaub in FA, and a TE and then G in the draft.

Do we have the money for those FAs? I think we do.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there's goes every NYJ fan's pipe-dream.

Honestly, I think we should put almost all of our focus in both FA and the draft into the offense. I'd like to see us go after Greg Jones, Edelman, Nicks, and Schaub in FA, and a TE and then G in the draft.

Do we have the money for those FAs? I think we do.

Literally the worst possible free agent haul that one could even conceive.

How? A great blocking FB, two starting-caliber WRs, and a QB that is lightyears ahead of Geno.

I mean, we have to be realistic. The top-tier FAs probably don't want to come to a team as terrible as ours. 

Is he not aware of The Rex Effect?

And what's that exactly?   He is a great defensive mind, but even in Baltimore, when he was the DC,  the Ravens never won anything.  He came to the Jets and his first two years were great, but he hasn't had a winning season in 3 years.    The Rex Effect is pretty much make some avg players great and turn that team into a 8-8 juggernaut that never really gets better.  They just overachieve.      

Will the Jets be better this year?  Who knows.  They were closer to 6-10 than 10-6.   And if Geno doesn't make huge strides and they can't sign or draft some top talent on offense, it'll be another 8-8 team with a bad offense.

i don't agree that it's the worse, but it's one of those so overpaid it's not funny, that they will wind up like the Eagles a few years back who spent a boatload of money and wound up with back to back terrible seasons.    

The sad reality is Schaub, Nicks, Edelman are far better than anybody the Jets have right now.

And what's that exactly? He is a great defensive mind, but even in Baltimore, when he was the DC, the Ravens never won anything. He came to the Jets and his first two years were great, but he hasn't had a winning season in 3 years. The Rex Effect is pretty much make some avg players great and turn that team into a 8-8 juggernaut that never really gets better. They just overachieve.

Will the Jets be better this year? Who knows. They were closer to 6-10 than 10-6. And if Geno doesn't make huge strides and they can't sign or draft some top talent on offense, it'll be another 8-8 team with a bad offense.

Cimini, when Rex was hired, said that there would be a "Rex Effect" where players would give up money to play for Rex Ryan. Shockingly, it's never materialized.

How? A great blocking FB, two starting-caliber WRs, and a QB that is lightyears ahead of Geno.

I mean, we have to be realistic. The top-tier FAs probably don't want to come to a team as terrible as ours.

I'm teasing. But, you don't pay for a blocking fullback, Schaub is a weenie, Edelman does what Kerley does, and Nicks is an injury-prone quitter not unlike Holmes.

"I would feel more obliged to go to a team that paid me $6 (million) or $7 (million) and made me one of the highest-paid players on the team," Verner explained, "than go to a team that paid me $8 (million) or $9 million and I wasn't one of the highest-paid players on the team."

I believe this guy is, in fact, mentally retarded.

Cimini, when Rex was hired, said that there would be a "Rex Effect" where players would give up money to play for Rex Ryan. Shockingly, it's never materialized.

It doesn't matter who the coach is, it's about winning.   Coughlin won 2 Super bowls, but does anybody really want to jump to the Giants this season?  Yeah for the right money, but most won't take a pay cut.     People take pay cuts to jump to the Patriots because that team always wins.  

People will play with the Broncos because Manning is on that team and they are a contender.    You could say the same about the 49ers and Seahawks.   A few years back, after Rex's first season,  there were a few people like LT, who jumped to the Jets.    You could say it was because of Rex, but it was also because people thought that team would surpass the Pats and be legit contenders.

The Jets are under .500 the past 3 seasons under Rex,  so any effect he had was lost a long time ago.  The only players who would jump for Rex are guys nobody else really wants or a guy who the Jets would overpay for.   But again,  I never buy the "coach" effect because it only works when teams and coaches win.    When the teams aren't winning,  the only effect is that star players or great players probably won't sign.

No thanks

Read the sub-text. He'd be a good fit for us, assuming Milliner moves outside - we sign someone else to play the other side - and Wilson gets supplanted by Rogers in the slot. 

The slot, where Rex's defense is historically burned badly. 

$2-3 million for a 1 year deal until we find someone to supplant Wilson permanently is a good investment.

It doesn't matter who the coach is, it's about winning. Coughlin won 2 Super bowls, but does anybody really want to jump to the Giants this season? Yeah for the right money, but most won't take a pay cut. People take pay cuts to jump to the Patriots because that team always wins.

People will play with the Broncos because Manning is on that team and they are a contender. You could say the same about the 49ers and Seahawks. A few years back, after Rex's first season, there were a few people like LT, who jumped to the Jets. You could say it was because of Rex, but it was also because people thought that team would surpass the Pats and be legit contenders.

The Jets are under .500 the past 3 seasons under Rex, so any effect he had was lost a long time ago. The only players who would jump for Rex are guys nobody else really wants or a guy who the Jets would overpay for. But again, I never buy the "coach" effect because it only works when teams and coaches win. When the teams aren't winning, the only effect is that star players or great players probably won't sign.

Word.

And yet...possibly immune to it?

The kid is going to go where the money is, regardless of what he's saying right now. All reports are that he's not going to make any visits once FA hits and will sign quickly, which means he doesn't particularly care about the facilities or area, so long as he's paid. I don't think Rex has very much to do with it at all and if he does, it's probably way down the list of why Verner signs with us.  However, him mentioning it as a positive is better than nothing.

That's a pretty horrific butchering of the actual article...

--

Already connected to the New York Giants and Jets, Verner said the Denver Broncos "would definitely be a good situation for me" and the New England Patriots are "definitely a possibility."

This is interesting, since La Canfora said there's "every expectation" that Vontae gets a new deal with the Colts done today.

Apparently, the Davis camp is saying that Davis is working on a deal...but not with the Colts............but there's still time

This is interesting, since La Canfora said there's "every expectation" that Vontae gets a new deal with the Colts done today.

Apparently, the Davis camp is saying that Davis is working on a deal...but not with the Colts............but there's still time

For what it's worth: Profootballtalk reports free agent Vontae Davis is expected to sign a contract on Tuesday, but "not with the Colts."

Reporter Mike Florio does allow that it's "not over yet, though." Either way, it directly contradicts CBS' Sunday report that Davis was "nearing a deal" with the Colts, and that there was "every expectation" an accord would be hammered out by Monday. One of the market's top free agents, Davis should have a new deal/home by tomorrow evening. Mar 10 - 5:47 PM Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter

Not sure how in the know Florio is, but that's the latest that I could find.

I think Vontae Davis is the best option available for OUR system...HOWEVER; being from Miami I know his background. I dont want the player who shows up to practice drunk/hungover from the club the night before. He was able to put it together in Indy because lets be honest...its not South Beach or NYC...No on Davis and Id throw Verner a couple more dollars just knowing this.

I think Vontae Davis is the best option available for OUR system...HOWEVER; being from Miami I know his background. I dont want the player who shows up to practice drunk/hungover from the club the night before. He was able to put it together in Indy because lets be honest...its not South Beach or NYC...No on Davis and Id throw Verner a couple more dollars just knowing this.

Verner is the better player but Davis might have to do especially if they plan on signing Byrd.

Archived