Titans make Chris Johnson available for trade

joewilly12

Profootballtalk.com reports the Titans will "soon begin attempting to trade" Chris Johnson.

It's essentially the same report as Saturday's from the Nashville Tennessean. The Titans are trying to salvage something, anything, for the player they blew a six-year, $55.26 million contract on back in September of 2011. The deal included $30 million guaranteed, and Johnson has never been the same. Going on age 29 with an $8 million base salary, Johnson has little or no trade value.

so his deal is 4 years, $53 million, $30 million guaranteed

and we need to give them picks for the privilege of taking this contract off of their books for them ?

there is a reason we had to cut cro,  LOL

the player won't accept less money, they want to be cut so they can create a bidding war on the open market

so his deal is 4 years, $53 million, $30 million guaranteed

and we need to give them picks for the privilege of taking this contract off of their books for them ?

there is a reason we had to cut cro,  LOL

the player won't accept less money, they want to be cut so they can create a bidding war on the open market

Good example of when false information is used for ones agenda. Johnson is only sign for three more years so I'm not sure why the 4 year $53 mil figure is being brought up. He was given a $10 mil bonus that he's already has in the bank. He was guaranteed $13 mil with $9 mil given to him last season. With the other $4 mil probably due this September. If we were to trade for him his remaining prorated would be on Tenn. dead money.

2014, $8 mil base salary

2015, $8 mil base salary

2016, $7 mil base salary, $2 mil roster bonus

And out of those years above he can be cut anytime and wouldn't account for any dead money onto our cap. That essentially a 3 year - $25 mil contract.

Good example of when false information is used for ones agenda. Johnson is only sign for three more years so I'm not sure why the 4 year $53 mil figure is being brought up. He was given a $10 mil bonus that he's already has in the bank. He was guaranteed $13 mil with $9 mil given to him last season. With the other $4 mil probably due this September. If we were to trade for him his remaining prorated would be on Tenn. dead money.

2014, $8 mil base salary

2015, $8 mil base salary

2016, $7 mil base salary, $2 mil roster bonus

And out of those years above he can be cut anytime and wouldn't account for any dead money onto our cap. That essentially a 3 year - $25 mil contract.

[-X

If we can get Chris Johnson to restructure his entire contract sign this beast or trade a late round pick to Tenn for him.

why would he do this ?

he will tell tenn to go **** a goat, and they have to either pay him or cut him

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports Chris Johnson is now willing to rework his contract to expedite a trade out of Nashville.

Johnson knows he's on the brink of being released, and teams are going to run out of money before he hits the market with all of the signings going on. If he redoes his deal and gets dealt, he'll have a chance at a bigger 2014 payday. We still expect he'll be cut, but this at least helps the chances of Tennessee getting back some compensation, very likely a late-round draft pick.

I wouldn't write this off as impossible.  Tennessee is a hair away from having to cut him outright so the draft pick they get shouldn't be high. Depends on how much he lowers his $ to.  Don't see him having a long career from September on forward.  Figure 1 year where he's still starter-worthy, maybe 2.  After that don't plan on him being more than a 3rd down back.  What's that worth? 

He's a complete knucklehead and always was.  Meanwhile last I saw he's still got wheels and can catch, so I pick him up for a 5th and $4M/year if it's possible.  I have serious doubts he'll drop his salary that low, and $8M is patently ridiculous for him, but will he drop it to that $4-5M range or will he only come down to the $6-7M range? The lower he makes his salary, the higher the pick to Tennessee (or so I'd expect).

I don't like trading draft picks for RBs who turn 29 in September, but if it's one of our lower picks one has to be pragmatic and realize that 12 draft picks from this year are not making the roster. If I'm Idzik, and had any serious interest in MJD, I'm certainly keeping my eye on how this unfolds.  

I wouldn't mind signing CJ after he is cut. Hold a gun to his head to see if he signs at a bargain price -- otherwise, pass. Re-negotiating his current deal will be tough IMO.

CJ better be careful agreeing to a pay cut to facilitate a trade--that's how people find themselves in Cleveland

I wouldn't write this off as impossible.  Tennessee is a hair away from having to cut him outright so the draft pick they get shouldn't be high. Depends on how much he lowers his $ to.  Don't see him having a long career from September on forward.  Figure 1 year where he's still starter-worthy, maybe 2.  After that don't plan on him being more than a 3rd down back.  What's that worth? 

He's a complete knucklehead and always was.  Meanwhile last I saw he's still got wheels and can catch, so I pick him up for a 5th and $4M/year if it's possible.  I have serious doubts he'll drop his salary that low, and $8M is patently ridiculous for him, but will he drop it to that $4-5M range or will he only come down to the $6-7M range? The lower he makes his salary, the higher the pick to Tennessee (or so I'd expect).

I don't like trading draft picks for RBs who turn 29 in September, but if it's one of our lower picks one has to be pragmatic and realize that 12 draft picks from this year are not making the roster. If I'm Idzik, and had any serious interest in MJD, I'm certainly keeping my eye on how this unfolds.  

Well, these are the inherent problems with him.  He is far too risky a player to get loose on the contract with.  Sproles would have been a different story.  The only way Idzik seriously considers CJ is on the cheap.  But like you said, he's too much of a bonehead to get this.

Bottom line this offense needs playmakers. Ivory was 3rd string in New Orleans  all of a sudden he's a top 5 RB here to many. He played well last season but missed games due to injuries. Chris Johnson would come here with a chip on his shoulder looking to regain to form. Ivory-Johnson-Powell  turn loose the scrubs Goodson-Allen. Johnson is a chance to solidify the position for at least 3-4 years.

Well, these are the inherent problems with him. He is far too risky a player to get loose on the contract with. Sproles would have been a different story. The only way Idzik seriously considers CJ is on the cheap. But like you said, he's too much of a bonehead to get this.

Wait CJ is too much if a bonehead to take a cheap deal from the jets? That would mean he got offered more elsewhere, making him a buffoon for taking our deal. This may shock you but even 99% of current jets players will leave your beloved team for more money

Chris Johnson is the RB we need on this roster he can break off long runs and catch out of the backfield. When was the last time the Jets had a breakaway RB?

You are like a cat chasing a laser pointer this free agency period

Chris Johnson is the RB we need on this roster he can break off long runs and catch out of the backfield. When was the last time the Jets had a breakaway RB?

Agreed, especially now that he's reportedly open to a pay cut. If you could get him at a discounted price, he'd be the perfect RB to pair with Ivory. The possibility of those two pairing up reminds of when Chris Johnson and Lendale White played together, we could use a dynamic running game.

Archived