True Detective **BEWARE OF SPOILERS**

RutgersJetFan

Back to the show.  Definitely getting better.  Last 2 episodes were solid.

However, I cant get on the McAdams is killing it bandwagon.  She makes me cringe.  She's just not good.  That scene with her being a bad ass and practicing her knife skills?  Oh man.  She's terrible.

It's picking up steam though.  I'm diggin the last few episodes. 

That's the thing JIF, she's NOT a badass. 

She's scared little girl that was molested as a child. Everything about her is a facade, driven by fear and defense mechanisms. Her career choice, her fixation on never allowing a man to gain the upper hand on her again... she puts out the "hard boiled" exterior, but she functions out of fear. She's a wreck. I think the way she's played the last 2 episodes has been great... and perhaps its her bad acting that gives the feel of her being uncomfortable in her own skin.

Earlier in the show I talked about the unifying attributes of these characters... talked about booze and self-destructive behavior. I think the commonality in all of them is that they hate themselves. Not one of them likes who they are, or is comfortable with who they are. I'm very curious to see where this goes... to see if whatever this is building towards becomes their salvation. 

Kitsch hates himself for his sexual curiosities.

McAdams hates herself for having been a victim.

Farrell hates himself for failing his wife, for not being able to protect her.

Vaughn hates himself for because he'll always be the thug kid that will never be able to "succeed" legitimately and be viewed as an equal by wealthy peers.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She's scared little girl that was molested as a child. Everything about her is a facade, driven by fear and defense mechanisms. Her career choice, her fixation on never allowing a man to gain the upper hand on her again... she puts out the "hard boiled" exterior, but she functions out of fear. She's a wreck. I think the way she's played the last 2 episodes has been great... and perhaps its her bad acting that gives the feel of her being uncomfortable in her own skin.

Earlier in the show I talked about the unifying attributes of these characters... talked about booze and self-destructive behavior. I think the commonality in all of them is that they hate themselves. Not one of them likes who they are, or is comfortable with who they are. I'm very curious to see where this goes... to see if whatever this is building towards becomes their salvation. 

Vaughn hates himself for because he'll always be the thug kid that will never be able to "succeed" legitimately and be viewed as an equal by wealthy peers.

How shallow is that façade?  One of her first little convos with Farrell she was talking about what it was like working that job when you could be overpowered by any man.  She didn't seem to be pretending to be a tough guy. Not like she did with the baggie comment.  There was an escalating tooth theme over a couple of those episodes. 

Yeah, I get that...but the show gives you the feeling that people buy her tough guy act.  And when you see her in those moments (her opening scene the way she treated that guy, the robot dick comment, the tons of cocks comments, her practicing with a knife)...she awful.  It's not convincing me but it convinces everyone in the show?

IDK - she just cant act IMO.  

How shallow is that façade?  One of her first little convos with Farrell she was talking about what it was like working that job when you could be overpowered by any man.  She didn't seem to be pretending to be a tough guy. Not like she did with the baggie comment.  There was an escalating tooth them over a couple of those episodes. 

I'd say it's pretty darn shallow. 

I think people see right through it, including Farrell's character,  that smelly slob cop that is working with them, and her sister even. Definitely her father. I think characters indulge her. I mean, in real life, you don't call out the defense mechanisms of the people you are around every day. Not if you have to work with them and/or care about them. You accept it about them, and know that they are most likely compensating for something.

Yeah, I get that...but the show gives you the feeling that people buy her tough guy act.  And when you see her in those moments (her opening scene the way she treated that guy, the robot dick comment, the tons of cocks comments, her practicing with a knife)...she awful.  It's not convincing me but it convinces everyone in the show?

IDK - she just cant act IMO.  

I don't get the impression that people buy it at all. 

But I agree, like I said above, it may be that she's doing an amazing job... or she's doing a terrible job and I'm just seeing the bad acting as something unconvincing that ties back to what her role is supposed to be about... a damanged chick who is unconvincing hiding her baggage.

Vaughn going all Joe Pesci over not having a cavity before... what the heck was that

He was there because he took the club back.  Considering the way he got it back, I think he was pointing out that he had all his teeth, plus some extras.  You know, the proper way to greet the world.   

How shallow is that façade? One of her first little convos with Farrell she was talking about what it was like working that job when you could be overpowered by any man. She didn't seem to be pretending to be a tough guy. Not like she did with the baggie comment. There was an escalating tooth them over a couple of those episodes.

Pretty sure it's just a mid season reversal by the writer like last year. Realized her acting was shaky and gave her an out. To have placed her history 3/4 of the way into the show lends nothing to character development...would've been useful info weeks ago imo

Pretty sure it's just a mid season reversal by the writer like last year. Realized her acting was shaky and gave her an out. To have placed her history 3/4 of the way into the show lends nothing to character development...would've been useful info weeks ago imo

I have no idea what you mean.  There are like 8 episodes.  I don't think anyone is changing sh*t mid-stream. Polizzato is not directing and I don't think Polizzato is letting anyone **** with the character's history.  It is more likely that the different director's from episode to episode cause the differences you see. Besides, the two scenes I mentioned were in the first couple of episodes.  Maybe episode 4 was the bit with the teeth baggie, but the story about being overpowered was from one or two. What did they change last year?  It certainly wouldn't have been due to shaky acting in season one.

The fact that she was molested at her fathers commune was implied early on, especially in the scene she was talking to her dad and/or sister and said all the other girls from there had killed themselves, and she became a cop. Tie that together with the narrative that she has problems with "sex" and you can draw the conclusion.

This week's episode took a known and used it to exposed her vulnerability. It wasn't about building her character, it was about taking what they've already given us about the character and peeling it back to make it relevant to the story. I mean, she killed a dude at a billionaire sex party... how do they use what they found at the party in their investigation without placing her there? I'm curious to see how it unfolds.

The fact that she was molested at her fathers commune was implied early on, especially in the scene she was talking to her dad and/or sister and said all the other girls from there had killed themselves, and she became a cop. Tie that together with the narrative that she has problems with "sex" and you can draw the conclusion.

This week's episode took a known and used it to exposed her vulnerability. It wasn't about building her character, it was about taking what they've already given us about the character and peeling it back to make it relevant to the story. I mean, she killed a dude at a billionaire sex party... how do they use what they found at the party in their investigation without placing her there? I'm curious to see how it unfolds.

Had a lot of powerful men there, including the Venci policy chief. That's why Vaccaro gave her that look when she said she killed someone, because he knows how delicate an investigation this already was. Now a death of a wealthy oilman in company like that?

Also, this exchange tho:

Where you going now?

To see about killing a man.

You sit back down with a gun on me again... don't let me see you coming.

I'd like to avoid that, Frank.

Good. You might be one of the last friends I got.

Wouldn't that be ****ed up?

Had a lot of powerful men there, including the Venci policy chief. That's why Vaccaro gave her that look when she said she killed someone, because he knows how delicate an investigation this already was. Now a death of a wealthy oilman in company like that?

Also, this exchange tho:

Where you going now?

To see about killing a man.

You sit back down with a gun on me again... don't let me see you coming.

I'd like to avoid that, Frank.

Good. You might be one of the last friends I got.

Wouldn't that be ****ed up.

Colin Farrell is killing it.

Only two episodes left and they have so much left to tie up.

Well, sh*t.

lol, I can't believe I was right about the ginger assistant to vince vaughn... also can't help but watch this show and think of it as a car careening down the highway, in the dark, on black ice, going 150mph

Well, sh*t.

lol, I can't believe I was right about the ginger assistant to vince vaughn... also can't help but watch this show and think of it as a car careening down the highway, in the dark, on black ice, going 150mph

Yeah, but they have 90 minutes to wrap everything up.

Yeah, but they have 90 minutes to wrap everything up.

I think everybody dies. How much buzz would the show get with a predictable ending vs. wiping out the whole cast and leaving the audience with no ******* clue at all who committed the crimes?

Great episode. It's picked up incredibly over the last two episodes. Still think they're suffering a little from the overwhelming amount of minor characters with no obvious purpose that have been introduced earlier, obviously trying to leave options for the viewer to guess as the mystery killer/s, but I don't think it's worked and left too much ambiguity as to who's who and what they're doing.

The Frank/Blake scene was absolutely brilliant. He made a great slimy villain and was more believable than some of the others. Wish he actually had more exposure. The payoff of him bleeding out worked a lot more than it had any right to considering he's been basically a background guy. Vaughn was a legit boss in that scene though.

I've thought since the Farrell shooting that birdman is more vigilante than villain. If he's the orphan kid then there's plenty of motive for why he's taking the corruption guys out and it looks like his sister, the secretary is already involved. Assuming that is definitely her. My money's on the camera dude from the set.

Caught up a couple obs:

1. The Caspare murder is now the 22n most important plot point.

2. People hating Vince Vaughn- what show are they watching? He's been great playing a real gangster and is having fun with it.

3. Blakes death cleared up ALOT

I think everybody dies. How much buzz would the show get with a predictable ending vs. wiping out the whole cast and leaving the audience with no ******* clue at all who committed the crimes?

Vaughn will get whacked and his wife is behind the Caspare murder. Velcro and Bezerides survive, get exonerated and start a family together.

Caught up a couple obs:

1. The Caspare murder is now the 22n most important plot point.

2. People hating Vince Vaughn- what show are they watching? He's been great playing a real gangster and is having fun with it.

3. Blakes death cleared up ALOT

He was great in this show and has been generally good to very good.  My only issue is with him is dropping 10 syllable words every other sentence early on.  I get the writers wanting to convey he is trying to come off as smarter than he is, but they over did it.

I am with I28, I could see a blood bath in the end.  No idea where it is going, but could see it wrapping up similar to Sons of Anarchy where the main character goes out by their own choice.

I could see that happening, Kitsch dying was predictable , as soon as the shootout started I knew he wasn't getting outta there.

I could see that happening, Kitsch dying was predictable , as soon as the shootout started I knew he wasn't getting outta there.

And that is another example of poor writing.

He does all the proper tactical stuff underground.  Then once going out the door he does not clear and is dropped from behind.

Ok so that was beyond a shadow of a doubt the most depressing thing I've ever seen…horrible…God awful.

Yeah. Though I admit, I applaud them for not giving the audience what they wanted in the end, which was for everyone to live happily ever after.

If the first season was a social commentary male archetypes... then this one was like a study of taboo sexual topics... homosexuality, child molestation, rape, and the inability to conceive. I like that they took 4 damaged individuals and gave them this confluence of events to sort of get right with themselves. Ultimately I think the whole show was really about taking McAdams character "out of the woods" so to speak. I talked about it with JIF at one point in the thread, about how she her tough-chick facade was just that... and that I saw her character as nothing but a scared girl stuck in the woods with her predator. I think by letting Valcoro in, she found her way out. 

There were aspects of the show that were good, and aspects that were bad.... at the end of the day, I just appreciate that we have shows like this, that try to have the depth, symbolism and meaning of a good novel... we get to watch this show and talk about it like art, interpret it. You don't get to do that with Marishka Hargitay crime dramas. 

Also, after all the talk of who acted in their role the best and worst... I've got to say, the woman that played Frank's wife was the pits... she delivered every line like a "dame" in a Dick Tracy cartoon, as a result all his scenes with her had Vaughn doing the same, but he didn't do that with any other cast-member. Horrid. The rest of the cast I think found ways to shine. Farrell especially.

Damn.

I think it was a good season overall but thought it was a pretty underwhelming finale, solely because Birdman's reveal was so disappointing, not so much in terms of who he was rather than what. He just turned out to be an emotional fool hell bent on revenge. Was hoping he'd be a more formidable character considering the mysterious build up around him.

Loved the shootout with the Russians. Pretty good payoff on that storyline but I knew it was setting up the fall coming so early in the episode. Crime doesn't pay kids.

Frank and Rays deaths were heartbreaking, Frank's was especially brutal and Vaughn acted the hell out of it. It was pretty obvious the Mexicans would come calling though, some pretty horrendous oversight on his part.

Ray was always going to die, his dream was prophetic as I expected it would be. They couldn't even let his message deliver, **** sake.

Feminism won the day though. Very unsatisfying ending, which I guess they were going for. Would have been nice to see the fallout of the story breaking rather than just seeing McAdams giving it up.

Decent season. I much preferred the last one overall but this was really compelling towards the end.

The major disappointment was not that Ray died, but that he did not shotgun the big eared freak lieutenant that shot Klitsch.  I was hoping that Remo Williams would at least go and Jack Ruby that guy.  I think that Frank did expect the Mexicans to come, that is why he was carrying the million in the case and the diamonds in his suit   OTOH, he showed horrific situational awareness letting his car get boxed.  I don't even do that when I am driving a 140,000 mile car through downtown Baltmore.  Always leave an out.  OPSEC baby.

EDITED because he is not Buckaroo Banzai!

Archived