True Detective **BEWARE OF SPOILERS**

RutgersJetFan

As an actor I think Farrell's a LOT more like Mcconaughey than people give him credit for. He's taken a ton of jobs just for the check, but it's not even up for debate that the guy's got the chops when he decides to flex them. In Bruges, Minority Report, Intermission...etc. Hopefully this show gets him back on track. I think he's great when given the opportunity.

Agreed. 

Also, Tigerland.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, wouldn't be surprised if Vince's character was the one who orchestrated the entire rape in the first place. 

I still think this holds. 

Michael Madsen as Frank would be kick ass. 

I thought that scene between Frank and his GF/Wife/whatever was god awful. The dialogue between the two wasn't at all fluid, and each line was trying too hard to be smart or guarded or an answer to the universe. It was as if it were written by a pretentious hippy 9th grader spouting off his metaphysical thoughts on dualities of an apple.

Other than that, I thought it was a fun episode. Farrell is slayin it, as per usz. 

I still think this holds. 

Michael Madsen as Frank would be kick ass. 

I thought that scene between Frank and his GF/Wife/whatever was god awful. The dialogue between the two wasn't at all fluid, and each line was trying too hard to be smart or guarded or an answer to the universe. It was as if it were written by a pretentious hippy 9th grader spouting off his metaphysical thoughts on dualities of an apple.

Other than that, I thought it was a fun episode. Farrell is slayin it, as per usz. 

That woman's eyes look like they are metling right off her face.  I swear every episode they get lower and lower. 

Just caught up. Agree with a lot of the sentiments above. People are giving this episode a little too much credit, though. Yes, it's nice that it finally showed some forward momentum, and they gave us a nice little Avengers Assemble/ Basil Exposition moment with the DA woman in the street, but the show still suffers when Vaughn and McAdams have to carry a scene. Which is 75% of the time. I've got my fingers crossed for one of the leads getting clipped next week. Maybe in one of those scintillating scenes where McAdams struggles to look like she knows what to do with a cigarette she can set her head on fire and produce a real emotion.

I'll tell you who they should have cast as Frank; Michael Madsen. He'd have all you ******* whiners eating out of the palm of his hand. Imagine Madsen saying "sometimes your worst self is your best self." Go on. IMAGINE IT! If that didn't make it move then you can just go to Hell.

Madsen would have been amazing. You know who would have been good in McAdams' role? Maggie f'in Gyllenhall

On another subject, I turned to my wife in the 1st episode and immediately said that Vaughn was using Farrell's distressed state to take someone out, that isn't the guy that raped his wife. That sh*t was about as predictable as it gets.

I figured this out midway through season 1.

I watched the first four over the weekend.  I don't disagree with much said here, but I don't think it is so bad.  Kept me interested enough to watch the next.  Can't believe nobody commented on Remo Williams telling his son he has no grit.  Was totally hoping that would be Val Kilmer to be reprising his role in True Romance, but the guy they used couldn't even pull off Mac Davis. I don't think Vinci Vaughn is so bad, but they sure aren't pulling off the Tony and Carmella thing too well.

Rachel killlled it this episode. And sooooo hot. The "a little old" line probably adds pedophilia to the already criminal aspects of the party. 

Also, Farrell just doing True Detective Farrell things last night. Another fantastic showing. 

Just like GoT, hopefully this third to last episode of the season turns it around. I've still got hope. 

I watched the first four over the weekend.  I don't disagree with much said here, but I don't think it is so bad.  Kept me interested enough to watch the next.  Can't believe nobody commented on Remo Williams telling his son he has no grit.  Was totally hoping that would be Val Kilmer to be reprising his role in True Romance, but the guy they used couldn't even pull off Mac Davis. I don't think Vinci Vaughn is so bad, but they sure aren't pulling off the Tony and Carmella thing too well.

repped for Remo Williams 

Honestly the past two episodes have been really ******* good. Anyone still holding onto the unconditional cynic bit because they miss Wooderson waxing philosophical needs to pop a Xanax and chill the sh*t out.

Agreed.

The commentary surrounding this show reminds me about how fans complain about a great band, when it's second album doesn't mirror the first album track for track. Personally, I want reinvention, change, and risk in new art. When an artist figures out what sold well, and tries to re-create it, they stop being an artist and start being a product manager.

People complained when Paul's Boutique wasn't Licensed to Ill. It's been my favorite rap album since the day I heard it. Nothing has ever come close, imo.

Agreed.

The commentary surrounding this show reminds me about how fans complain about a great band, when it's second album doesn't mirror the first album track for track. Personally, I want reinvention, change, and risk in new art. When an artist figures out what sold well, and tries to re-create it, they stop being an artist and start being a product manager.

People complained when Paul's Boutique wasn't Licensed to Ill. It's been my favorite rap album since the day I heard it. Nothing has ever come close, imo.

I really really like you in a semi non-gay way and enjoy reading your posts.  So please, don't ever compare TD season 2 to Paul's Boutique again.  Paul's Boutique is a friggin masterpiece.  TD2 is ok entertainment.  It's better than just about everything on TV at this moment......but not Paul's Boutique. 

I really really like you in a semi non-gay way and enjoy reading your posts.  So please, don't ever compare TD season 2 to Paul's Boutique again.  Paul's Boutique is a friggin masterpiece.  TD2 is ok entertainment.  It's better than just about everything on TV at this moment......but not Paul's Boutique. 

I was going for the "it may not please the critiques, but it could one day become the best of all of the seasons, you never know" angle.

I was tentative about using this comparison though, and understood the risk... perhaps I should have gone with Beck's first album versus Odelay or something l ike that. :)

I was going for the "it may not please the critiques, but it could one day become the best of all of the seasons, you never know" angle.

I was tentative about using this comparison though, and understood the risk... perhaps I should have gone with Beck's first album versus Odelay or something l ike that. :)

I know what you were going for lol.  I think it's a reverse analogy.  License To Ill was awesome, but it was kind of childish fun.  Paul's Boutique may have lost the simple minded MTV crowd, but musically it was a masterpiece and permanently cemented them as true artists.  I would say PB is TD1, LTI is season 2. 

I know what you were going for lol.  I think it's a reverse analogy.  License To Ill was awesome, but it was kind of childish fun.  Paul's Boutique may have lost the simple minded MTV crowd, but musically it was a masterpiece and permanently cemented them as true artists.  I would say PB is TD1, LTI is season 2. 

As a total sidetrack- B Boy Bouillabaise while on acid during my college years.......  Dude I almost didn't come back from that one.

Agreed.

Ah yes, it's a lot like "Star Trek: The Next Generation". In many ways it's superior but will never be as recognized as the original.

Nitpicker.

How about S1= RATM s/t, S2 = Evil Empire.

You're British?

Agreed.

Rep'd because Paul's Boutique is the greatest sh*t ever made. 

As a total sidetrack- B Boy Bouillabaise while on acid during my college years.......  Dude I almost didn't come back from that one.

Great track and that album was one of my top choices in that condition but or me it was Car Thief.

Back to the show.  Definitely getting better.  Last 2 episodes were solid.

However, I cant get on the McAdams is killing it bandwagon.  She makes me cringe.  She's just not good.  That scene with her being a bad ass and practicing her knife skills?  Oh man.  She's terrible.

It's picking up steam though.  I'm diggin the last few episodes. 

Archived