What is our # under the cap on free-agency eve?

TaborJet

Neat article:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46432/59/team-by-team-salary-cap-notes

Teams can now carry over cap dollars.

An addition implemented in the 2011 collective bargaining agreement, teams can now roll over unused cap space from one year to the next.

Teams must adjust their books based on past player performance.

NFL contracts include Likely To Be Earned (LTBE) bonuses as well as Not Likely To Be Earned (NLTBE) bonuses. LTBE bonuses count against the cap for a given league year; NLTBE bonuses don’t. If a LTBE is not earned, teams are credited cap space for the next year. If a NLTBE bonus is earned, cap space is subtracted.

2013 was the beginning of the newly implemented “minimum spending requirement.”

Another addition to the most recent CBA, the minimum spending requirement says that the amount of cash that teams spend must be at least 89% of the total salary cap from 2013-2016. Teams can spend less than 89% in one given season, but the cumulative spending from 2013-2016 must be at least 89%.

Now let's examine where each NFL team stands as free agency begins, ranked in order of available salary cap room.

7. New York Jets
Available Cap Space — $31,775,558

The Jets’ $31,775,558 in cap space is actually misleading. Gang Green, who just cleared $9.5 million off the books with the release of Antonio Cromartie, will clear more than $16 million when they inevitably cut Mark Sanchez andSantonio Holmes. Look for GM John Idzik to make these moves in the coming days. In the meantime, expect the Jets to evaluate the wide receiver market, which is their biggest position of need.

Updated at 3:35 pm ET on 3/10/14: Holmes, officially released today, propels the Jets into the top five of "available cap space."  They now have $39,185,558 to work with in free agency.

Sanchez release puts us at like $47mil right?

Can buy a whole new everything with that.

I wonder if this happens tomorrow.  I guess it's not a huge rush as we can still make a number of sizeable moves even without the Sanchez money.  But also, if they're going to do it, what's the wait?

I wonder if this happens tomorrow.  I guess it's not a huge rush as we can still make a number of sizeable moves even without the Sanchez money.  But also, if they're going to do it, what's the wait?

they are talking with his agents to re-sign him

Dam, if we cut Sanchez, we could do some heavy damage in FA.

Dam, I'd like Decker and Edelman if we could pull that off.

We could but why would we want him? Replacing Wes with Edelman proved that is all offensive system production, and Decker will not be worth the money and years he will get on the open market. I think we sign Byrd and/or Verner and build the offense through the draft and maybe sign Nicks or Tate, although both their injury histories scare me.

We could but why would we want him? Replacing Wes with Edelman proved that is all offensive system production, and Decker will not be worth the money and years he will get on the open market. I think we sign Byrd and/or Verner and build the offense through the draft and maybe sign Nicks or Tate, although both their injury histories scare me.

Our DBs aren't great, but our defense as a whole is good. Our offense is the worst in the league by far. 3 and out ****ery all over the place.

Sanchez $8.3 m

Nick Bellore $1.4m

Goodson $1.3m

Currently at $40mil, but that number will be about $50mil once the expected release of Sanchez and Goodson take place. I also think Nick Bellore will be let go and signed back at vets minimum.

Besides trolling, I don't know why anyone would believe this... Because, it's not only the wrong move for the Jets... But why in the world would Sanchez want this?

it's just battered jets fan syndrome.

cro will be all pro with the pats* next year, and sanchez will lead the browns to their first playoff win in 27 years

Besides trolling, I don't know why anyone would believe this... Because, it's not only the wrong move for the Jets... But why in the world would Sanchez want this?

then why in the world is Sanchez not gone ?

Larz whether Im for Sanchez or against him you have to take feelings out of the equasion there is a real good chance Sanchez is a jet this season at a reduced salary

Larz whether Im for Sanchez or against him you have to take feelings out of the equasion there is a real good chance Sanchez is a jet this season at a reduced salary

why would sanchez take a pay cut to be the whipping boy on a team that runs the ball ?  he wants to be on the left coast

Best guess is that they don't want to release him until just before his bonus.

The reality is, the Jets owe him nothing, including his availability at the beginning of free agency.

It's not like they'll run out of dollars with roughly 40M right now.

Jason_OTC ‏@Jason_OTC · 1h

The #Jets will pick up $1.775 million in cap room from a grievance they had last season which ended up not counting

Makes our new total around $42 mil

Add Sanchez and you're @ over $50 million dollars

Maybe "the courtesy" extended to some players by cutting them before FA starts isnt being extended to Sanchez after the rumored bitchfit he threw in the trainers room on Idzik...just a thought.

Jason_OTC ‏@Jason_OTC · 1h

The #Jets will pick up $1.775 million in cap room from a grievance they had last season which ended up not counting

Makes our new total around $42 mil

Add Sanchez and you're @ over $50 million dollars

Bloodclot, thats a lot of money!

I trust Idzik puts it to good use...I have a sneaking suspicion he is the real deal.

In all seriousness though that signature is pure gold. Well done my friend, well done.

Our DBs aren't great, but our defense as a whole is good. Our offense is the worst in the league by far. 3 and out ****ery all over the place.

Oh i totally agree we need to upgrade the offense, i just dont think that this WR free agency class is worth breaking the bank for, id rather build the defense in FA and the offense through the draft.

In all seriousness though that signature is pure gold. Well done my friend, well done.

My 3 teenage sons and I were having a big laugh on that signature.

The fact that he runs away after throwing reminds me of when I'd throw snowballs at cars and then take off with my friends when the drivers got out to kick our little runt asses!!

Too funny!

Maybe "the courtesy" extended to some players by cutting them before FA starts isnt being extended to Sanchez after the rumored bitchfit he threw in the trainers room on Idzik...just a thought.

Do you really think Idzik is holding it against Sanchez that he blew a fit getting hurt in a meaningless game ? Sanchez has to feel he can still start for this team and Idzik knows that. There does not seem to be any bad blood between Sanchez and the Jets and since they have already talked to his people you would think something is in the works or Sanchez would have been gone a month ago. if the Jets wanted to cut ties 100 %,  no way Sanchez is still hanging around something must be in the works.

Sanchez $8.3 m

Nick Bellore $1.4m

Goodson $1.3m

Currently at $40mil, but that number will be about $50mil once the expected release of Sanchez and Goodson take place. I also think Nick Bellore will be let go and signed back at vets minimum.

Who expects them to cut Goodson?  I sure don't.  I've heard plenty of speculation from fans, but I have not even heard a peep from our media which does nothing but speculate.  AFAIK, Bellore was an RFA.  If they just tendered him, why would they cut him?  He is probably the  best special teamer they have.

Do you really think Idzik is holding it against Sanchez that he blew a fit getting hurt in a meaningless game ? Sanchez has to feel he can still start for this team and Idzik knows that. There does not seem to be any bad blood between Sanchez and the Jets and since they have already talked to his people you would think something is in the works or Sanchez would have been gone a month ago. if the Jets wanted to cut ties 100 %,  no way Sanchez is still hanging around something must be in the works.

It would be smart to get a veteran QB in the fold before releasing Sanchez. Who knows how much money will be thrown at Vick and others. 

Archived