Austin Howard.

BurnleyJet

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cart and horse.

AFTER the cap was raised the Jets offered $5.5M. Before that I think the offer would have been less. You're assuming it would be identical and arguing under that premise.

It really doesn't matter. Austin Howard is not worth the $5.5M that's supposedly been offered. He isn't that level player. He may be worth overpaying a tad just because of continuity or whatever, but I'm not going to cry over losing Austin Howard.

He is fine, nothing more. Like Slauson.

and you are arguing under the premise that the offer would have been less before the cap increase. tit for tat. do I think that the 5.5m was a fair offer? maybe. do I think it was a little on the low side? after seeing what some of the other tackles received, I think so. do the jets now have a gaping hole on the right side of the line after reports stating that howard was idziks priority signing? its looking that way. im not saying howard was an all pro, but continuity is important on the oline and the fact that the jets have enough holes, don't need another one. hey, if idzik signs a comparable tackle or a better takle, all is forgiven. if not, there could be disastrous results. with 1 priority signing on the entire team, this should have been handled differently and a long time ago

So you have chosen to completely dodge my question.

What contract would you offer Austin Howard?

I don't think it's the what or the how much, it's the when. the Jets had all offseason to make this happen. They low balled him all winter and here we are. 

You said he's fine and nothing more like Slauson. Just my preference, it's better to overpay for fine than to underpay for garbage. 

Then don't. Live your life angry because someone undeserving has way more than you ever will. I'm sure it will serve you well and get you far.We once before were in a great cap situation like this. Then it was gone and the team collapsed. No one gives a rat's ass about Woody Johnson's checking balance.The fastest way to turn a great situation into a crappy one is by following your prescribed rationale.

Oh don't be silly, I never said I was mad...is ok go ahead and create another spreadsheet.

Truth be told I have about 3000 imagined depth charts for jets

I don't think it's the what or the how much, it's the when. the Jets had all offseason to make this happen. They low balled him all winter and here we are. 

You said he's fine and nothing more like Slauson. Just my preference, it's better to overpay for fine than to underpay for garbage. 

Right, because clearly the only option is that Idzik low-balled him and it's completely out of the realm of possibilities that Howard is just asking for more than he's worth...

Right, because clearly the only option is that Idzik low-balled him and it's completely out of the realm of possibilities that Howard is just asking for more than he's worth...

Howard is worth precisely whatever contract he ends up getting and not a cent more or less. #FreeMarket

Howard is worth precisely whatever contract he ends up getting and not a cent more or less. #FreeMarket

(Bit shops for a car)

Bit: Excuse me sir, how much is this 2005 Civic?

Salesman: Uhhh, $40,000?

Bit: Great! I'll take it!

(High fives all around)

I have a feeling howard is going to sign a 5 year, 32.5m contract. on the lower end of what the other tackles signed for

I have a feeling howard is going to sign a 5 year, 32.5m contract. on the lower end of what the other tackles signed for

Except all those other tackles are being signed to play on the Left side. Paying Howard $6.5 million doesn't seem like a smart move. I imagine Idzik worked the numbers, knew how many tackle-needy teams there were, knew the number of players available and figured he would have been happy paying someone like Strief instead of Howard if things shook out that way.  

Except all those other tackles are being signed to play on the Left side. Paying Howard $6.5 million doesn't seem like a smart move. I imagine Idzik worked the numbers, knew how many tackle-needy teams there were, knew the number of players available and figured he would have been happy paying someone like Strief instead of Howard if things shook out that way.  

your right. the smart move would be paying howard the 5 year, 27m contract. but idzik couldnt close that deal. imo, they should have gotten that deal done last year, not just before free agency started, considering it was supposed to be a priority signing for idzik. if idzik pulls off plan b with strife and it works out, great. if not, then what?

your right. the smart move would be paying howard the 5 year, 27m contract. but idzik could close that deal. imo, they should have gotten that deal done last year, not just before free agency started, considering it was supposed to be a priority signing for idzik. if idzik pulls off plan b with strife and it works out, great. if not, then what?

We have no idea what Idzik did or did not offer Howard and we have no idea what Howard is asking for. I can't sit here and put blame on anyone when we don't know a single detail.  I know that's popular to do on here, but I don't feel like getting into that.

Once again, you've dodged the question. It's a very simple question and a very simple answer. You want to be critical of the amount offered without saying how much you'd have offered, which differs from the one you're critical of.

You've made it known that you think $5.5M/year is low-balling him, and that this is an example, in your opinion, of the Jets being unwilling to pay market price for a supposedly valuable player.

How much would GM Bitonti offer Austin Howard? In dollars, not in philosophy.

and you are arguing under the premise that the offer would have been less before the cap increase. tit for tat. do I think that the 5.5m was a fair offer? maybe. do I think it was a little on the low side? after seeing what some of the other tackles received, I think so. do the jets now have a gaping hole on the right side of the line after reports stating that howard was idziks priority signing? its looking that way. im not saying howard was an all pro, but continuity is important on the oline and the fact that the jets have enough holes, don't need another one. hey, if idzik signs a comparable tackle or a better takle, all is forgiven. if not, there could be disastrous results. with 1 priority signing on the entire team, this should have been handled differently and a long time ago

There is no right & wrong on this, but I think continuity is overrated. It's not valueless, and it's better to have it than not if all other things are equal. But if there's a replacement who isn't terrible it won't be any more of a tragedy than when Howard was thrown into the starting RT job. And all other things are rarely equal anyway.

I don't think it's such a slam dunk to lock up a mediocre RT to huge money before the combine, in a year that the team has a dozen draft picks.

Unless it's the Jets that pay it. Then we overpaid.

Like with the draft. Anyone we drafted, by definition, was passed up on by everyone who selected before us. From this point of view, everyone we took was a reach that no one else wanted.

There is no right & wrong on this, but I think continuity is overrated. It's not valueless, and it's better to have it than not if all other things are equal. But if there's a replacement who isn't terrible it won't be any more of a tragedy than when Howard was thrown into the starting RT job. And all other things are rarely equal anyway.

I don't think it's such a slam dunk to lock up a mediocre RT to huge money before the combine, in a year that the team has a dozen draft picks.

somewhat agree, but from what I heard, locking up howard was his number 1 priority, so he definitely thought of howard as the best option. plan A, essentially. he just didn't get it done. lets just hope his plan B works out for the best

Once again, you've dodged the question. It's a very simple question and a very simple answer. You want to be critical of the amount offered without saying how much you'd have offered, which differs from the one you're critical of.

You've made it known that you think $5.5M/year is low-balling him, and that this is an example, in your opinion, of the Jets being unwilling to pay market price for a supposedly valuable player.

How much would GM Bitonti offer Austin Howard? In dollars, not in philosophy.

I believe they would have just sat at a desk together with big piles of money, and bit would have kept pushing more across saying "is this enough?" as Howard kept looking around nervously before going "um... no?", all while the pile continued to grow near 9 figures.  Because, you know, Howard wanted that much so... yeah.

Keep in mind, this is the same guy who carried on for months that Revis was absolutely under no circumstances in any way ever possibly looking for $16 million / year, and then when Revis got exactly that, proceeded to go on a similar one of these non-committal, "this is why everything completely wrong that I say is actually right" lectures.

NFL free agency 2014: Jets right tackle Austin Howard signs $30 million deal with Raiders, per report

new york jets oakland raiders austin howard.jpg

Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger By Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on March 12, 2014 at 1:06 AM, updated March 12, 2014 at 1:13 AM

The Jets have lost their top free agent, right tackle Austin Howard, after being unable to reach a contract agreement with him before Tuesday afternoon's start of the free agency signing period.

Just after midnight Wednesday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Howard had reached an agreement to join the Raiders. The contract, according to Schefter: five years and $30 million, with $15 million guaranteed.

In Oakland, Howard will join Tony Sparano, the Raiders’ offensive line coach. Sparano, who has a long history coaching offensive linemen, was the Jets’ offensive coordinator in 2012, Howard’s first as a starter. Sparano was fired after just one year as coordinator.

Schefter also reported the Jets have a visit scheduled Wednesday at their facility with Seattle’s unrestricted free agent right tackle, Breno Giacomini. The Jets’ general manager, John Idzik, is familiar with Giacomini, because Idzik worked in Seattle under general manager John Schneider before coming to the Jets following the 2012 season. Schefter reported that the Jets are making a “strong push” to sign Giacomini.

Giacomini, 28, joined the Seahawks in 2010 after debuting with the Packers as a fifth-round draft pick in 2008. Seattle signed him off the Packers’ practice squad. He did not become a starter until 2011. He started 33 games over the past three seasons. He was limited to nine games last season because of arthroscopic knee surgery to repair cartilage damage, but returned and helped the Seahawks win the Super Bowl.

Howard’s career got off to an even more modest start than Giacomini’s. Howard entered the league as an undrafted free agent with the Eagles in 2010 and spent most of 2011 on the Ravens’ practice squad. A 6-7, 333-pound player with a long reach, he started for all of 2012 and 2013. He is coming off his best year, and will turn just 27 years old later this month.

Now, Howard will cash in after playing last season on a one-year, $2.023 million contract – a restricted free agent tender.

Giacomini, who is 6-7 and 318 pounds, is on the free agent market after completing a two-year $6.5 million contract with Seattle that included a $1.5 million signing bonus. His base salary last season was $3.5 million.

The Jets probably also will need to replace their starting right guard from last season, Willie Colon, who is recovering from a torn biceps. He is an unrestricted free agent, and as of late last week, the Jets had not reached out to his camp to begin negotiations.

Last season, the Jets also debuted two new starting offensive linemen: Colon and rookie left guard Brian Winters, though Vladimir Ducasse (another new starter) initially started at the left guard spot.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN · 5h
New Raiders RT Austin Howard's deal was for 5 years, $30M with $15M guaranteed, source confirms. Jets now looking for new RT & RG #nyj

That's a lot of dough!

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN · 5h

New Raiders RT Austin Howard's deal was for 5 years, $30M with $15M guaranteed, source confirms. Jets now looking for new RT & RG #nyj

That's a lot of dough!

Look at what the other early OL signed for.  Most 7+ million.  A lot of those guys aren't any better then Hunter,  The cap went up 10 million.  The players, and their agents want it.

With out an OL WR's and RB's don't really mean much.  The big early run was on OL.  

Archived