Austin Howard.

BurnleyJet

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet a other hole

Too easy.

It's not as pronounced as in the NBA, but it holds true in the NFL as well that having nothing is better than carrying toxic assets. Not having a RT is an easy problem to fix. Draft one, sign one, whatever. Having Austin Howard on the books for 6M a year is a whole different story. Look at what it's already costing Oakland. They could have kept Veldheer for another 1M per.

Too easy.

It's not as pronounced as in the NBA, but it holds true in the NFL as well that having nothing is better than carrying toxic assets. Not having a RT is an easy problem to fix. Draft one, sign one, whatever. Having Austin Howard on the books for 6M a year is a whole different story. Look at what it's already costing Oakland. They could have kept Veldheer for another 1M per.

Lewan, Matthews on the Jets board?

GOOD F#$%^&*&^ JOB IDZIOT

Howard will now go on to a Pro Bowl career much like Farrior and some of you here are going to say well Im glad they didnt spend too much of our money on him

oh and BTW good luck attracting any other good FA if he is going to low ball everyone.

So now we only have to replace half of the offensive line. Cool. Not to mention LG is a question mark and our two best lineman are aging and regressing.

On the surface it looks sh*tty, but if we hired the right guy in Idzik at least one of the two guys we drafted last year can play.

Jets lost Howard to the Raiders. Bad move by the GM on that one. Howard was one of the few players I felt the Jets HAD to re sign. Now with losing Colon the Jets have to rebuild the right side of the OL. Terrible move Idzik. Gonna change your name to Id-iot pretty soon.

I sometimes think the fans here are the idiots.  He is a right tackle not a left. Worth much less,  and a 15 mill guarantee?  He tweeks his knee this year and 10 mill in dead cap space for the next few years.  We just got out of Cap hell and you want to jump back in again.  It seems the trend to over 1/2 the contract or more as guaranteed and it will bite someone in the ass soon.  We will find another RT who will fill the hole.  Worry about CB and WR.

GOOD F#$%^&*&^ JOB IDZIOT

Howard will now go on to a Pro Bowl career much like Farrior and some of you here are going to say well Im glad they didnt spend too much of our money on him

I agree. WTF does Idzik think? If the guy doesn't sign that Idzik gets to keep the money? The guy was graded out as a solid RT..a position that the Jets have had trouble with but was seemingly solved by Howard's production. Makes NO sense, yet Idzik will probably overpay for a slow white WR like Decker who was a product of Peyton Manning and had Demaryius Thomas opposite him. Also the Jets are looking at Maurice Jones-Drew? Really? A RB who hasn't been healthy in two years now and they are seriously considering him? Jets go for names NOT real players. They have done that through the years going for guys with names but not the numbers to match the dollars they spent on him.

Too easy.

This ^^^

Anyone here who is picking up where that boob Beningo is leaving off with the "the Jets really missed the boat, they screwed up, yada yada yada..." because they didn't waste a ton of money on Howard is nuts.

This ^^^

Anyone here who is picking up where that boob Beningo is leaving off with the "the Jets really missed the boat, they screwed up, yada yada yada..." because they didn't waste a ton of money on Howard is nuts.

I'm not losing sleep over missing Howard. Our O-line overall was pretty mediocre last year and he's a JAG. I don't get the sudden love for him outside of the fact that we trotted Wayne Hunter out there for an entire season because somehow that seemed like a good idea. 

I agree. WTF does Idzik think? If the guy doesn't sign that Idzik gets to keep the money? The guy was graded out as a solid RT..a position that the Jets have had trouble with but was seemingly solved by Howard's production. Makes NO sense, yet Idzik will probably overpay for a slow white WR like Decker who was a product of Peyton Manning and had Demaryius Thomas opposite him. Also the Jets are looking at Maurice Jones-Drew? Really? A RB who hasn't been healthy in two years now and they are seriously considering him? Jets go for names NOT real players. They have done that through the years going for guys with names but not the numbers to match the dollars they spent on him.

no doubt I think his next "accomplishment" will be a running back that will have no holes to run through.

I'm not losing sleep over missing Howard. Our O-line overall was pretty mediocre last year and he's a JAG. I don't get the sudden love for him outside of the fact that we trotted Wayne Hunter out there for an entire season because somehow that seemed like a good idea. 

It is typical of the affliction of being a Jets fan. They want everyone fired, everything changed to make it "better", but then the minute we get rid of anyone it becomes... "OH NOES NOT HIMS!!!" 

To much for an average player, Jets don't have Tanny and won't over pay for JAGS.

Depending on how we spend have Idzik may choose to extend players we have, and pay them bonus front end contracts, if we don't go crazy in Free agency?.

from everything that I am reading,idziks offer was mere dollars away from his asking price,drew a line in the sand, and told him to take it or leave it. another report I read was that idziks offer was the same as oaklands. doesn't sound smart to me. screams of stubbornness and inexperience

$6M per year for Austin Howard with 2.5 years of that guaranteed.

lol

This is one of those moves (or rather, non-moves) where people say we were terrible for not making this deal.

But had we overpaid like Oakland did, then a year or two into the deal Idzik is an idiot for overpaying for such a mediocre RT.

Basically the only winning move was getting him to re-sign for $4M/year or less.  He's a below average tackle; not someone you throw gobs of big (and guaranteed) money at.

somewhat agree, but from what I heard, locking up howard was his number 1 priority, so he definitely thought of howard as the best option. plan A, essentially. he just didn't get it done. lets just hope his plan B works out for the best

Locking up Howard being a top priority doesn't mean locking up Howard at any price is his #1 priority.

Personally I think Idzik offered him too much as it was.  I'm glad we "lost" out on this. 

Locking up Howard being a top priority doesn't mean locking up Howard at any price is his #1 priority.

Personally I think Idzik offered him too much as it was.  I'm glad we "lost" out on this. 

if by "at any price" you mean over a coupla million on a 5 year 30m contract, in nfl terms "a few dollars" then you, sir, are right

If we had tagged Howard, what was his price? Seems silly to use it on Folk and then sign him a week later no?

I think the tag for howard would have been way out of line. something like 11m. they should have locked up howard last year

If anything, the real issue happened when we let Slauson go for cheap and decided to fill the gap with Ducasse and a draft pick (Winters) instead. 

Maybe, but crying over Slauson seems silly.  He doesnt change the situation the Jets are currently in. 

If Winters becomes a legit starter, then it was worth it to give him a wash season to get acclimated to the league and not pay Slauson.

Archived