Revis being shopped

aec4

I would love Revis back. Verner would be solid too, but I wouldn't mind paying for Revis. If Revis signs in the neighborhood of $10m or $11m a year I would be in. The CB market is strong this year so you would have to think that hurts his value a bit. It'd be nice to put my Revis jersey back on and our D would be potentially nasty next year with a shutdown corner again.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relax

I didnt say you did. Im simply saying that if the Pats picked up Revis and passed on Talib it would be good for them because they will more than likely have Revis for the year. Talib will miss on average a quarter of the season. I didnt wrongly inform you of anything, I was exaggerating given that Talib is bound to miss significant time on average. 

My bad for misinterpreting. Either way, my point remains, the Patriots signing Revis does not improve the play of their secondary to a degree that would have compensated for their other losses.  He's without a doubt a great player, but his incremental improvement of play over Talib would not have done much for the Pats this past season or next, at least in my opinion.

Think about it. You wouldn't pay Revis an extra 2 million than Verner or Davis?

That's the thing though, it's $2 million now, but what about the following year or the year after? With the cap set to increase about $17 million over the next couple of years, do we really want to have to deal with the headache of someone getting a larger contract than him year in and year out?  The only thing he's consistently shown is that all he cares about is getting the most money, regardless of where or how.  If he doesn't hold out, sure, I'd give him $11-$12 for four years and call it a day, I just don't trust him to honor his contract.

What the heck would this mean for our 3rd round pick? Thats the only thing that matters to me. I loved Revis when he was here, but he's no longer a Jet. How will this affect us? 

It means you have to re-up on your prescription of Prozac. We now get a 4th instead of a 3rd if he is cut or traded.  

Verner and Davis have nothing on Revis. Bring him back for $13 mil per with $25 mil in guarantee or Probably have it 12, 12.5, 13.5, 15 & 16 million (salary in a 5 year contract) with $10 mil signing bonus and $15 mil in guarantee.

Hell no. Be done with it. He skedaddled outta here faster than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking competition. 

Verner and Davis have nothing on Revis. Bring him back for $13 mil per with $25 mil in guarantee or Probably have it 12, 12.5, 13.5, 15 & 16 million (salary in a 5 year contract) with $10 mil signing bonus and $15 mil in guarantee.

Look, I really want Revis but for that money, absolutely not. I'd rather sign a young Vernee AND another player.

you know i laughed when i first heard the news but then i realized the reality of the situation. I also believe he will get scooped up by Pats for sure...

The one thing I will say about the Pats is that they always preach the team first mentality.  Revis going there would throw that mantra out the window.  Yeah, like Brady will just sit back while Revis holds out every other year for more $$$?  I really don't think they get him just based on that alone.  Then again, Satan runs that team so who knows anymore.

That's the thing though, it's $2 million now, but what about the following year or the year after? With the cap set to increase about $17 million over the next couple of years, do we really want to have to deal with the headache of someone getting a larger contract than him year in and year out? The only thing he's consistently shown is that all he cares about is getting the most money, regardless of where or how. If he doesn't hold out, sure, I'd give him $11-$12 for four years and call it a day, I just don't trust him to honor his contract.

I don't trust him to honor his contract either, but I would trust Idzik to give him a contract that prevents him from holding out. Revis can still ball!

Think about it. You wouldn't pay Revis an extra 2 million than Verner or Davis?

Mevi$ pre-injury?  Sure.  But I am not sure he is the same guy.  I am not even sure he would be the best of the three on the field in 2014.  Plus, the contract antics are always part of the package with him.  

I hear what you're saying, but Darrelle Revis put together the best season for a CB that I've ever seen in my life. NO, im not saying go get him, but Verner and a lower tier guy isnt better than Darrelle Revis. The problem with Revis is actually what you wrote, he will hold your cap hostage for as long as he's on your team. 

If Revis would play for 10 million flat for the rest of his life the Jets would definitely consider. 

I look at this as: Revis best season has already happened.

Why pay a guy for what he has done already - I'd rather pay guys to fill out the whole roster, and potentially for the best years ahead  of them. Football games are rarely won by 1 guy. Especially when he isn't a QB.

My logic around this hasn't changed now that there is a glimmer of hope Revis can come back. If he can fit in at a salary that allows us to build a WHOLE team, fine. Otherwise he can piss off. No CB is worth compromising a whole season over.

I will be souped out of my mind if Idzik gets Revis back in here next year for less than 10mil.  If Milliner plays next year like he did the last few games PLUS Revis on the other side.......nuts

not to mention, we basically got Richardson for renting out (to rehab his knee) Revis like a used whore for a season.....

Fixed.  LOL

Mevi$ pre-injury?  Sure.  But I am not sure he is the same guy.  I am not even sure he would be the best of the three on the field in 2014.  Plus, the contract antics are always part of the package with him.  

+1

He's 29 in July, coming off an ACL injury that is key to this positions skill set.

For me, I go Vontae or Alterain.

Then there's this little tid-bit that just came out. This could be doable for a NE or Denver

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Revis contract gives team unilateral power to restructure

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

RevisAP
As the Buccaneers look for a potential trade partner for cornerback Darrelle Revis, an obvious impediment comes from his $16 million cap number for 2014.

His contract provides an easy out. As recently explained by Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune (as part of an item pooh-poohing the idea that Revis could be traded), the Revis contract contains a provision allowing the team to unilaterally convert his $13 million base salary into a signing bonus.

If, for example, the team shifted $12 million of the base salary to a signing bonus spread over the remaining life of the contract, the device would create $9.6 million in cap space for 2014, pushing his cap number down to $6.4 million.

Of course, having the power to restructure the deal is meaningless. Revis, like most players, should want to do it. If he doesn’t, then he doesn’t want to be traded. Which creates a separate problem for the team that may be acquiring him.

That’s perhaps the biggest question mark for any team that is considering a move for Revis. Does Revis want to be traded to the team in question? Or does he prefer another team?

Ultimately, does he want to simply be cut so that he can start from scratch as a free agent?

If the answer to the last question is yes, it’s going to be very hard for the Buccaneers to trade him to anyone.

I'd be surprised if the Jets were actually interested in getting involved with Revis again. If anything, I'd hope that Revis getting dropped onto the free agent market will serve as a diversion while the Jets grab Verner - or whoever they really like.

And allowing the condition on that conditional pick being whether or not Revis was on the Bucs roster tomorrow was dumb.

I'd be surprised if the Jets were actually interested in getting involved with Revis again. If anything, I'd hope that Revis getting dropped onto the free agent market will serve as a diversion while the Jets grab Verner - or whoever they really like.

And allowing the condition on that conditional pick being whether or not Revis was on the Bucs roster tomorrow was dumb.

Yeah, I'm hoping that Revis's impending availability makes all the CB-needy teams (except us) balk at signing anyone until they know if they have a shot at Revis.

If he ends up back here, it'll be worth the LOL - and it's no question he'll make our secondary better, but I am very skeptical about what he does to team chemistry. I'd rather see all of the secondary upgraded, not just one CB spot.

How do you know that the deal gets done otherwise?

I look at this as: Revis best season has already happened.

Why pay a guy for what he has done already - I'd rather pay guys to fill out the whole roster, and potentially for the best years ahead  of them. Football games are rarely won by 1 guy. Especially when he isn't a QB.

My logic around this hasn't changed now that there is a glimmer of hope Revis can come back. If he can fit in at a salary that allows us to build a WHOLE team, fine. Otherwise he can piss off. No CB is worth compromising a whole season over.

You pay free agents, guys currently in the NFL based on what they've already done. You pay rookies based on their potential. Football is almost never won by one guy, but I dont see the NFL spreading out the cap evenly amongst all the players. Peyton manning would have never thrown 7 TD's without an offensive line in front of him, yet look at his paycheck, a pay check he earned for things he had already done. 

Archived