Official NFL Free Agency Transactions Thread

JoeC36

@AdamSchefter: Saints still haven’t released RB Darren Sproles and now plan to trade him due to heavy interest, per ESPN source. Not being released, though

Probably not here.

Considering the deal McCluster got, I'm not surprised. Sproles is probably a bit better, $1M less and no guarantee.  That is worth something.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what this points out.  ESPN lists him as a FS, but that is traditionally a role that is depicted by the deep man in a Cover-1 scheme.  As I mentioned, Rex likes his safeties to have the versatility to "switch" pre-snap to add an element of confusion to the offense, but I've yet to see Allen be the deep man.  

Yeah, idk. Rex's defenses are unique and its true that Byrd did great under Petine, so it probably would have translated here. I'm going to put the trust in Rex/Idzik that he wasnt worth the money.

His coverage is a work in progress. Athletically, once he gets his technique down, he should be able to play FS. Either way, I dont want to pay a safety 8 million a year.

He was basically a cover LB at SC. He really neither has the speed, hips or skill set you want in a cover free safety. It's why he lasted so long in the draft. I like him a lot and became a great asset vs more traditional pro set covering larger TEs but can be a liability in spread sets. Also playing in space is something he's never done and really isn't something that can be teach, it's all feel and angles. Landry was asked to play a lot more deep half a which he was getting beat over the top due to age and speed which is why they got Reed. Looked like Landry lost a step last year but really he's also more of a traditional SS.

Yeah, idk. Rex's defenses are unique and its true that Byrd did great under Petine, so it probably would have translated here. I'm going to put the trust in Rex/Idzik that he wasnt worth the money.

Not so fast, hombre. 

Byrd flew to New Orleans for a looksie.  At the time of this post the Saints have around $2M in cap room, ranked 31st out of 32.  His not being signed yet isn't an indication that we've given up on him.  Who knows, maybe he just wanted to be wined and dined in the french quarter for a weekend; get away from the rain. 

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/

He was basically a cover LB at SC. He really neither has the speed, hips or skill set you want in a cover free safety. It's why he lasted so long in the draft. I like him a lot and became a great asset vs more traditional pro set covering larger TEs but can be a liability in spread sets. Also playing in space is something he's never done and really isn't something that can be teach, it's all feel and angles. Landry was asked to play a lot more deep half a which he was getting beat over the top due to age and speed which is why they got Reed. Looked like Landry lost a step last year but really he's also more of a traditional SS.

My understanding was that Allen lasted until the 7th because he was not asked to play cover safety in college and no one knew for sure if he could. Not that he did not have the ability to do so, once taught. 

FWIW

Cromartie says S Antonio Allen has "freakish" talent, could be the next Ed Reed. Whoa, come back to us, Cro. #Jets

Just because the market sets a price doesn't make him worth it.  We have other needs, $8M for a safety just isn't worth it.

That's his worth not sure what else to tell you but to repeat what I already stated. Bryd getting $8 mil sounds right whether you want to do it or not is another thing.

I did too until I saw that he's still yet to be cleared from the concussion he sustained last season. 

Still prefer to Vick

We will wind up with Shaun HIll think about it last season we had David Garrard for a backup QB.

Fine by me.  Why put $10M up for a guy we don't want to see the field?

My understanding was that Allen lasted until the 7th because he was not asked to play cover safety in college and no one knew for sure if he could. Not that he did not have the ability to do so, once taught.

FWIW

Rich Cimini@RichCimini Mar 10

Cromartie says S Antonio Allen has "freakish" talent, could be the next Ed Reed. Whoa, come back to us, Cro. #Jets

You've quoted wiki and Cimini. Do you accept defeat?

Strief is a 30 year old right tackle who has played 41 games for the Saints. A good pass protector Strief could be an important cog in any offensive line and could certainly come in and play from the get go. This is one that I really like, and would welcome someone of Strief's ability to this line.

PFF ranked Strief as the 7th best offensive tackle in the league last year. He allowed 3 sacks and 4 hits and just the 4 penalties on the season.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/3/11/5498210/free-agency-jets-inquire-about-zach-strief

You've quoted wiki and Cimini. Do you accept defeat?

lol. Cro's quote was the point. Sometimes safeties look slow when they are indecisive. We will see. My feeling is that Allen improves by leaps and bounds this offseason. Playing LB at SC means nothing. Spurrier has LB's that are smaller and faster than Darren Sproles playing for him.

lol. Cro's quote was the point. Sometimes safeties look slow when they are indecisive. We will see. My feeling is that Allen improves by leaps and bounds this offseason. Playing LB at SC means nothing. Spurrier has LB's that are smaller and

faster than Darren Sproles playing for him.

It means everything that he's never played FS in college or the pros where's he's had success covering TEs in a Cover 1 press, he's runs 4.7s and is 6'1 210 lbs.

He's not a traditional roaming over the top back half FS.

It means everything that he's never played FS in college or the pros where's he's had success covering TEs in a Cover 1 press, he's runs 4.7s and is 6'1 210 lbs.

When Ed Reed was signed he took plays away from Allen. Allen will be Ed Reed;s replacement. Period. You can call it whatever you want. FS, SS or whatever. Allen will be the Ed Reed of this defense. That being said, there was no reason to ever like Byrd. He was overrated anyway. 1/4 of his picks were against Geno or Sanchez.

When Ed Reed was signed he took plays away from Allen. Allen will be Ed Reed;s replacement. Period. You can call it whatever you want. FS, SS or whatever. Allen will be the Ed Reed of this defense. That being said, there was no reason to ever like Byrd. He was overrated anyway. 1/4 of his picks were against Geno or Sanchez.

Reed moved Landry to his more traditional spot.

It's not like you can't just watch the games and see for yourself.

But yeah totally agree the free and strong thing is overrated these days due to offenses playing more spread 3-4 WR sets and less traditional pro style.

Safeties need to be much more versatile. Allen is a keeper and should probably start.

Reed moved Landry to his more traditional spot.

It's not like you can't just watch the games and see for yourself.

But yeah totally agree the free and strong thing is overrated these days due to offenses playing more spread 3-4 WR sets and less traditional pro style.

Safeties need to be much more versatile. Allen is a keeper and should probably start.

We agree on the most important part. We havent had a good safety on this team since Victor Green.

Hell yes we need a #1 WR

I agree but I would much rather get the #1 in the draft and sign a Tate or Jones in FA.  Hakeem is a big ? and I would hate to take a chance on the Giants garbage and ruin the opportunity to grab someone healthier. 

I agree but I would much rather get the #1 in the draft and sign a Tate or Jones in FA.  Hakeem is a big ? and I would hate to take a chance on the Giants garbage and ruin the opportunity to grab someone healthier. 

Only guy I like more than Nicks is Boldin but hes getting older and Decker will demand way too much money.

Archived