Official NFL Free Agency Transactions Thread

JoeC36

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because it puts the Pats in the running for Revis. Who, by the way, we're not even sure yet that he will become a free agent. They might end up trading him for a 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, whatever.

This is very disappointing. No guards. Tackles: with Howard leaving, we now have to rebuild the right side of the offensive line (which we can no longer do well in FA). We didn't get a good safety, and there's no great corners left either because we don't know that Revis will become available. So... wow.

If they trade for him, they're paying him $16M, which they won't do.  If they do, though...then awesome.  Would suck to see the Pats actually get a productive player in the second round for one, though.

I can see it now: "Patriots brilliant to trade for Revis, worth every penny of $16M per" vs "(fill in all other 31 team names) stupid to pay Revis $16M per.  Grossly overpaid"

Let me see if I understand this. The Saints started the off-season way over the cap. They go out and get Byrd, and somehow they still hang on to Sproles in an attempt to trade him.

We start out with about $30 million under the cap, cut 2 big contracts, can't re-sign a mediocre right tackle and sit back and watch while almost all of the noticeable corners, safeties, tackles and guards sign elsewhere.

Is this making sense to anyone?

Let me see if I understand this. The Saints started the off-season way over the cap. They go out and get Byrd, and somehow they still hang on to Sproles in an attempt to trade him.

We start out with about $30 million under the cap, cut 2 big contracts, can't re-sign a mediocre right tackle and sit back and watch while almost all of the noticeable corners, safeties, tackles and guards sign elsewhere.

The Saints want to win now.  As do the 49ers, Broncos, Seahawks, and even Patriots.  The Jets seem to be on some 10 year plan.

Very very discouraging. So much hype surrounding us and these big names and we manage to get nothing done. Earlier on in the day I was okay with it but now with all these names coming off the board it's hard to stay positive. They have to do something sooner or later right ??

If they trade for him, they're paying him $16M, which they won't do.  If they do, though...then awesome.  Would suck to see the Pats actually get a productive player in the second round for one, though.

I can see it now: "Patriots brilliant to trade for Revis, worth every penny of $16M per" vs "(fill in all other 31 team names) stupid to pay Revis $16M per.  Grossly overpaid"

Stop thinking about the Patriots for a second and start thinking about the Jets. What I'm saying is that all the top corners are gone, only good option is Revis who we don't know for sure that he will even become available. Might end crying back to Cromartie again. This is bad.

I think the odds of the Jets landing Revis (and at a reasonable price) are about 1%, personally.  Still...DRC, Munnerlyn, couple of serviceable options out there.

We could go after DRC or Munnerlyn. Neither of them should be our #1 next year. Either way, we still miss out on top talent in a year where we will have 40, maybe 50 million to spend. That's ridiculous.

Is there an updated cap picture for all teams out there? I'm wondering if this puts us in a better position to sign those wide receivers. There's not much else left that's all that intriguing.

Just out of curiosity, given all of the names that are off the board, which guys (any position) would you be targeting now?

Stop thinking about the Patriots for a second and start thinking about the Jets. What I'm saying is that all the top corners are gone, only good option is Revis who we don't know for sure that he will even become available. Might end crying back to Cromartie again. This is bad.

LOL.  Did one of the guys whining that Revis would sign with the Pats just tell me to stop thinking about the Pats :rl:

DRC and Munnerlyn are fine and would be considerably cheaper.  Milliner struggled to start the year, got better as the year went on.  Rex is supposed to be a secondary savant, no? Can he not coach a high first round pick up to being a #1?

So was TJ Ward at safety. 5.5m per year. I don't get it man.

There is a difference between being smart and being a pussy. I can't wait to see which one Idzik turns out to be.

You're both right, sitting on the sidelines isnt playing it safe it is only making us worse. Unless he is sure Revis will comeback IF he gets released missing out on Verner or Talib makes no sense at all.

LOL.  Did one of the guys whining that Revis would sign with the Pats just tell me to stop thinking about the Pats :rl:

DRC and Munnerlyn are fine and would be considerably cheaper.  Milliner struggled to start the year, got better as the year went on.  Rex is supposed to be a secondary savant, no? Can he not coach a high first round pick up to being a #1?

I'm asking you, we'll have more than $40M when Sanchez goes. How do you spend that now?

@JasonLaCanfora: Everything I've heard is that Revis would love to be a Patriot, above any other option. Still ample time for that to happen

And it just might with Talib signing with the Broncos. I just am not sure the Patriots are gonna fork over that type of money as Revis is not going to settle for anything less than $11 million and $30 million guaranteed. 

Broncos signed CB Aqib Talib to a six-year, $57 million contract with $26 million guaranteed.
Denver attacked its secondary on the first day of free agency, landing Talib and top strong safety T.J. Ward. Talib, 28, has gotten his act together off the field in recent seasons and when healthy is a top-five press-man corner in the game. Look for DC Jack Del Rio to utilize him in shadow coverage of opposing No. 1 receivers. The Broncos have drafted well under GM John Elway, have a lot of salary cap space to show for it with so many players on cheap rookie deals, and Peyton Manning has 1-2 years left. We can't blame them for going all in.

Edit: Besides the fear-mongering, what makes anyone think that the Patriots would pay for Revis?  They had no intetions of signing talib at $9.5 per, I don't see them ponying up and paying revis $11.5+  Hell, I could be wrong and Revis takes less to play for them, I just don't see it happening. 

Archived