Official NFL Free Agency Transactions Thread

JoeC36

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oakland overpaid for Saffold.

fixed, but point taken

Tate will be gone in your opinion, you don't think we'll get Revis or Decker... OK... the safeties are gone, the tackles are gone, the tight end market is weak. You're optimistic because?

Well first off I haven't said I'm optimistic once, lol.  I'm just not doom and gloom like most in here.  Like I said, I never felt like we were going to get any of those guys so why would I be upset right now?  I thought we had a shot at Verner, so that's a bit of a bummer but it's not end of the world.  I'd not be shocked to see them sign Sanders, who fits the young criteria you were referencing earlier.

Next, just because I don't think they'll get them doesn't mean the Jets FO agrees.

The tackles aren't all gone..Striefs numbers in comparison to Howard have already been shown.  He'd actually be a pretty good signing IMO.  He's not 25, but he doesn't have to be.

Finally, the TE market was always weak...why is that in this discussion?

And just curious -- if the Jets were to sign Decker, DRC, and Strief what would your feelings be then?  What if they stunned everyone and snagged Decker, Revis, and Strief?

If FA's wont come here, that's on Idzik IMO.

Poor recruiter. Would never make it in the SEC.

Plenty of players should want to come to a team with an ascending defense,

That would be my #1 criteria, too.

lots of cap room,

Everyone has lots of cap room.

tons of draft picks

Veteran players despise their team having draft picks. It compromises their job security.

in the biggest market and the biggest city in the country.

This is worthless.

The Raiders and Jets literally cannot give their money away.

Dude, you know how the game works. The only people who pay in the beginning of free agency are those who think they're a player or two away from a SB and those who are desperate that they have to: e.g. Broncos and the Dolphins. It hasn't even been 24 hours year and you're out there with the doom and gloom.  Denver just signed Talib to big money, would you be upset if we ended up signing DRC to a moderate deal and got Strief as a plan B to not overpaying Howard? This is also not to mention none of the top WRs have signed yet, so we still have the whole pool to fill our biggest need.

Can somebody text me when Revis is officially a Patriot? I'm having trouble finishing.

Why would the Patriots pay Revis $11+ when they wouldn't pay Talib $9.5?  Not saying it's out of the realm of possibilities, but overspending for FAs doesn't seem like the Patriots' MO.

DRC is still on the market as well as a handful of other guys who would instantly be upgrades over Walls, Wilson or last years Cro.  Davis got away and the Jets weren't real suitors for Verner, not sure why everyone is so damned close to the ledge.  Idzik has shown that he's going BPA come draft time and if it's a CB , he's going to pick him regardless of whether we need a new one or not, point in case with drafting Sheldon last year. 

Because we had a lot of ways to improve the team and for some reason (presumably the 'build through the draft' mantra) chose not to? It would be like if they called you to make your 1st round pick and you were too busy to be bothered.

It's just a weird day. It's odd when you spend a week prior to free agency clearing a ton of cap space, and then the GM's best move on the first day of free agency is not overpaying a marginally average right tackle. It's a long offseason, but the first 24 hours are weird as all hell.

Can't disagree with you there.  I'm actually surprised they haven't come away from today grossly overpaying for someone just for the sake of spending money.

Because we had a lot of ways to improve the team and for some reason (presumably the 'build through the draft' mantra) chose not to? It would be like if they called you to make your 1st round pick and you were too busy to be bothered.

Yes, not signing T.J. Ward is analogous to forfeiting a first-round pick.

Dude, you know how the game works. The only people who pay in the beginning of free agency are those who think they're a player or two away from a SB and those who are desperate that they have to: e.g. Broncos and the Dolphins. It hasn't even been 24 hours year and you're out there with the doom and gloom.  Denver just signed Talib to big money, would you be upset if we ended up signing DRC to a moderate deal and got Strief as a plan B to not overpaying Howard? This is also not to mention none of the top WRs have signed yet, so we still have the whole pool to fill our biggest need.

So we get Strief---why? To avoid overpaying Howard by $1-2m per year? So we can use that extra $1-2m to do nothing with it? We've got $40 and we're not using any of it, why would he be worried about $1 or $2?

Raiders land Austin Howard

Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2014, 12:19 AM EDT
howard1.jpg?w=213Getty Images

The Raiders let left tackle Jared Veldheer leave for Arizona in part because they thought he was better suited to playing right tackle.

And so the Raiders have signed both a left tackle and a right tackle to replace him.

Joining Rodger Saffold as the Raiders’ new left tackle will be former Jets right tackle Austin Howard.  Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Raiders have a deal in place for Howard, who started every game in 2012 and 2013 at right tackle for the Jets.

The moves will consume just a small piece of millions in cap dollars held by the Raiders, who still have plenty of needs — but also plenty of cap space to address them.

Tj Ward is the signing that's bothering me. 5.5 million Idzik seriously? Make a move.

Ward is going to the team that just participated in the SB, and still has Manning under center with a relatively young roster. Teams with winning power have a tendency to attract lower costing (high talent) types.

It's just a weird day. It's odd when you spend a week prior to free agency clearing a ton of cap space, and then the GM's best move on the first day of free agency is not overpaying a marginally average right tackle. It's a long offseason, but the first 24 hours are weird as all hell.

It's still a possibility that Idzik didn't want to pay $9.5 million to Davis or Talib and is working on a deal with DRC for less as we speak and figures if he has to spend on a RT, he might as well spend it on someone like Strief who's actually worth the money.  I know it seems odd that we haven't made moves, but Idzik doesn't strike me as someone who's going to make rash moves or zero moves at all.  

A lot of this sky is falling will look rather silly if Idzik is able to bring in one of Munerlyn/DRC, Strief/Campbell/Britton and Jones/Tate/Sanders, without having to overpay.  

Dude, you know how the game works. The only people who pay in the beginning of free agency are those who think they're a player or two away from a SB and those who are desperate that they have to: e.g. Broncos and the Dolphins. It hasn't even been 24 hours year and you're out there with the doom and gloom. Denver just signed Talib to big money, would you be upset if we ended up signing DRC to a moderate deal and got Strief as a plan B to not overpaying Howard? This is also not to mention none of the top WRs have signed yet, so we still have the whole pool to fill our biggest need.

Why would the Patriots pay Revis $11+ when they wouldn't pay Talib $9.5? Not saying it's out of the realm of possibilities, but overspending for FAs doesn't seem like the Patriots' MO.

Because I don't believe this is an intentional effort on Idzik's part to sit tight with the money and wait it out. I think this is a reflection of how the Jets are viewed in NFL circles. The buffoon owner halwaying it with the buffoon coach, resulting in a buffoon franchise. There is no plan here. This is an overly involved dipsh*t owner porking the ORG chart, turning his franchise into Oakland East.

Being backed into a corner where you can't use your excess cap space effectively is. It's losing an opportunity.

So we get Strief---why? To avoid overpaying Howard by $1-2m per year? So we can use that extra $1-2m to do nothing with it? We've got $40 and we're not using any of it, why would he be worried about $1 or $2?

It's been 8 f*cking hours guy, relax.  Howard is a JAG, and I was advocating paying Strief the same contract as Howard, because if you have to fork over the cash you should do it to someone who was worth it, like Strief.  Besides age, he's an upgrade to Howard in pretty much every facet.  Again, it's been 8 hours, every single one of the offensive skill position players that we were all fawning over have still yet to be signed:  Tate, Sanders, Jones, Decker, MJD, Nicks,  Pettigrew, Chandler, Dickson etc.  Is it possible Idzik is working on improving other positions besides #1 CB and OT?  Just let things unfold and at least wait more than 24 hours.

Ah, gotta love the good ole Jets fans.  We've heard non-stop for months how the Jets priorities need to begin, end, and be nothing else but WRs, and most certainly not continue to waste their time and money on this defense nonsense.  Day 1 of FA comes and the first wave of signings is almost entirely DBs, while absolutely no WRs are signed, yet somehow the Jets are forever doomed by it.

Now don't get me wrong, the Jets suck and I freely admit that, but them not prioritizing DB in FA just because a bunch of other teams decided to do so could not possibly have less to do with any of the reasons why.

Ah, gotta love the good ole Jets fans.  We've heard non-stop for months how the Jets priorities need to begin, end, and be nothing else but WRs, and most certainly not continue to waste their time and money on this defense nonsense.  Day 1 of FA comes and the first wave of signings is almost entirely DBs, while absolutely no WRs are signed, yet somehow the Jets are forever doomed by it.

Now don't get me wrong, the Jets suck and I freely admit that, but them not prioritizing DB in FA just because a bunch of other teams decided to do so could not possibly have less to do with any of the reasons why.

Shhhh...details

Because I don't believe this is an intentional effort on Idzik's part to sit tight with the money and wait it out. I think this is a reflection of how the Jets are viewed in NFL circles. The buffoon owner halwaying it with the buffoon coach, resulting in a buffoon franchise. There is no plan here. This is an overly involved dipsh*t owner porking the ORG chart, turning his franchise into Oakland East.

It's been eight hours man, it'll be fine.  When Idzik flips Howard and Cro for Giocomini and DRC, this will all have looked extremely foolish.

Archived