Official NFL Free Agency Transactions Thread

JoeC36

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@fbgchase: The Jets reportedly offered Austin Howard a 5-year, 30M deal. Don't know what the guaranteed $ was from Jets but that's what he got from OAK

Whatever, it's almost a trade. They got Austin Howard, we now get to rename Florham Park the Black Hole. I'm going to bed, I can't wait to see who doesn't return our phone calls tomorrow

Ok lets play best case scenario.  Revis signs with the Jets giving us the best CB in football and mentors Milliner.  We sign a RT (there are a number still out there as good as Howard).  

We draft a stud safety like Pryor or Ha Ha Dixon (mentored by Ed Reed), a stud guard like Sua-filo , sign Emanule Sanders, Miles Asutin, and draft a nice tall fast WR (Moncreif), sign an accomplished QB like McCwon, Vick. Draft a developmental QB like Garrapolo, Murray, Matthews, etc,  Draft a good blocking TE like C.J. Fiedorowicz.  We would be better, younger, and deeper.  Would just need a scat back and a rushing LB.  See how easy that was.    

With the number of available quality free agents dwindling, do we really think Idzik is going to now outbid somebody for a player he wants?

It's reported that Idzik wasn't in the ballpark for Verner, who signed for under $7 and wasn't offering Howard enough who just signed a $6 year deal, so all this tells me is that he's not going to overpay for talent that he doesn't deem worth it.  I don't know how he operates, but from all reports and what I've observed, I just think he'd rather pay someone like Breno $4.5 million and get the same play compared to paying someone like Howard $6.  This is all speculation, but I'm certainly not upset at Idzik for not throwing crazy money at Davis, Talib or signing Howard for more than he's worth.  

The quality of free agents is dwindling at #1 CB and starting LT, considering we came into the off-season needing WR help and none of them have signed, I'm still okay.  Howard was a JAG, I'm not worried about replacing him. Same goes for Cromartie: he was a bottom five CB in terms of his play last year, we don't need Davis or Verner to get better play.

my eyes tell me a totally different story. there is a reason Denver went after a pricey corner and will let this bum walk

He graded out as one of the best CBs in the league, he's not a bum.  He's not as consistent as you'd like, but he's still a heck of a player.  Truth be told, I'd probably rather have Munerlyn, seems like he's got his head on a bit better than DRC.  

It's reported that Idzik wasn't in the ballpark for Verner, who signed for under $7 and wasn't offering Howard enough who just signed a $6 year deal, so all this tells me is that he's not going to overpay for talent that he doesn't deem worth it.  I don't know how he operates, but from all reports and what I've observed, I just think he'd rather pay someone like Breno $4.5 million and get the same play compared to paying someone like Howard $6.  This is all speculation, but I'm certainly not upset at Idzik for not throwing crazy money at Davis, Talib or signing Howard for more than he's worth.  

The quality of free agents is dwindling at #1 CB and starting LT, considering we came into the off-season needing WR help and none of them have signed, I'm still okay.  Howard was a JAG, I'm not worried about replacing him. Same goes for Cromartie: he was a bottom five CB in terms of his play last year, we don't need Davis or Verner to get better play.

Yeah, I need to come off the ledge a little. I had my heart set on Verner.

I think the contracts that these guys signed plus the fact that we have tons of cap space and no clue about who is going to play opposite Milliner (who is no guarantee of anything himself) makes people a little antsy. The reports of us being interested in every single free agent that was available didn't help much either.

Well I thought from day one those reports were complete nonsense and put no stake into them at all, so that probably has something to do with it not bothering me.  As far as the CBs, there seemed to plenty of people who were more than interested in the prospect of keeping Cro on at a reduced contract and yet now we're supposed to believe that even despite him and multiple other options still being on the market, it's a disaster that they didn't get one of the top guys.

As far as the safeties go, anyone who thought the Jets were making any big moves at that position clearly haven't been watching this team for the past 5 years.  This team started Eric freakin' Smith at the position for crying out loud.  What does that tell you?  Like it or not, the position is the single lowest priority on this defense, if not the entire team.  Besides, they still have both of last year's opening day starters on the team.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm far from giving this team any sort of free pass about this offseason, but I guess I feel like it's a little early to be making any judgments, and certainly to be throwing the kind of fits some seem to be.  There's still tons of work to be done, but I'm not convinced that a top FA CB was ever anywhere near this teams biggest concern.

So the reports are that Idzik is drawing lines in the sand, and if players won't sign for that much, he moves on. Don't wanna set the market. Sounds great, right?

Until players start saying no and heading elsewhere. Then what?

Then you're left with a boatload of cap room and only a few free agents left that will noticeably improve the team. You still gonna draw the line in the sand, risk going into the 2014 season without any upgrades and with $40 million in wasted cap room?

So the reports are that Idzik is drawing lines in the sand, and if players won't sign for that much, he moves on. Don't wanna set the market. Sounds great, right?

Until players start saying no and heading elsewhere. Then what?

Then you're left with a boatload of cap room and only a few free agents left that will noticeably improve the team. You still gonna draw the line in the sand, risk going into the 2014 season without any upgrades and with $40 million in wasted cap room?

eWhPSer.gif

risking going into the 2014 season without any upgrades and with $40 million in wasted cap room?

It's not wasted.  

An addition implemented in the 2011 collective bargaining agreement, teams can now roll over unused cap space from one year to the next. Another addition to the most recent CBA, the minimum spending requirement says that the amount of cash that teams spend must be at least 89% of the total salary cap from 2013-2016. Teams can spend less than 89% in one given season, but the cumulative spending from 2013-2016 must be at least 89%.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46432/59/team-by-team-salary-cap-notes

So, even if we don't do any heavy lifting this off-season we can still set ourselves up for a big rake in next year's FA after building depth in the draft. 

He graded out as one of the best CBs in the league, he's not a bum.  He's not as consistent as you'd like, but he's still a heck of a player.  Truth be told, I'd probably rather have Munerlyn, seems like he's got his head on a bit better than DRC.  

I do like the captain, so much that I mocked him to the jets in my mock offseason. needless to say I would not be upset if the jets sign him. given the choice between cro & DRC, I would take cro every day of the week and twice on sundays. and cro was eaten alive last year

You're welcome by the way.

I'll have my people get with you're people regarding your royalty

Well I thought from day one those reports were complete nonsense and put no stake into them at all, so that probably has something to do with it not bothering me.  As far as the CBs, there seemed to plenty of people who were more than interested in the prospect of keeping Cro on at a reduced contract and yet now we're supposed to believe that even despite him and multiple other options still being on the market, it's a disaster that they didn't get one of the top guys.

As far as the safeties go, anyone who thought the Jets were making any big moves at that position clearly haven't been watching this team for the past 5 years.  This team started Eric freakin' Smith at the position for crying out loud.  What does that tell you?  Like it or not, the position is the single lowest priority on this defense, if not the entire team.  Besides, they still have both of last year's opening day starters on the team.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm far from giving this team any sort of free pass about this offseason, but I guess I feel like it's a little early to be making any judgments, and certainly to be throwing the kind of fits some seem to be.  There's still tons of work to be done, but I'm not convinced that a top FA CB was ever anywhere near this teams biggest concern.

Hmm...I think this probably agrees with what I've said today but....

tl;dr

It's not wasted.  

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46432/59/team-by-team-salary-cap-notes

So, even if we don't do any heavy lifting this off-season we can still set ourselves up for a big rake in next year's FA after building depth in the draft. 

Interesting, I didn't know that. Looks like that will happen then, because how else are we supposed to spend this money with all of the top guys off the board? It's actually pretty difficult to spend 40, at this rate we might not even spend 30 or even 25.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Looks like that will happen then, because how else are we supposed to spend this money with all of the top guys off the board? It's actually pretty difficult to spend 40, at this rate we might not even spend 30 or even 25.

we could have 60m next year that idzik wont spend. good times

we could have 60m next year that idzik wont spend. good times

We can't rule out the ability for Idzik to trade picks for players.   Having money in free agency is dandy, but doesn't mean we have to spend it on free agents. 

He comes from a FO that has spent big on player acquisition outside of free agency (Lynch, Harvin) and has shown through Ivory that he's willing to part with picks to get players he deems worthy.  

Perhaps our greatest asset this year will be the 12 picks we have, to get guys we covet. 

There were whispers that DeSean Jackson was tradeable.  Perhaps a 3rd round pick, or a later round pick + Stephen Hill gets it done.  Adding a Jackson and a first round WR improves our offense, and doesn't prevent us from ponying up some cash for Revis or Ware. 

Basically, Idzik entered free agency with a top 5 budget and he let almost every top defender and all of the top offensive linemen fly off the board while he did nothing. Big fail. He better pull something big off tomorrow.

Good thing next year's free agent crop looks pretty good, gotta spend that money some way...

Not exactly a big upgrade there.

Howard is a JAG, if you can get equal play and pay less, that's a good thing.  He's not Phil Loadholt or Anthony Davis who's play is going to be impossible to replace.  Cromartie had one of the 5 worst seasons of a CB in the entirety of the NFL, we're not going to struggle to replace that.  Hell, we could resign Cromartie and I doubt he plays that poorly or even worse.  We didn't lose anyone even remotely irreplaceable this year, I just assume Idzik works on signing guys like Tate, Sanders, Jones or Nicks than chasing another CB or RT.

Howard is a JAG, if you can get equal play and pay less, that's a good thing.  He's not Phil Loadholt or Anthony Davis who's play is going to be impossible to replace.  Cromartie had one of the 5 worst seasons of a CB in the entirety of the NFL, we're not going to struggle to replace that.  Hell, we could resign Cromartie and I doubt he plays that poorly or even worse.  We didn't lose anyone even remotely irreplaceable this year, I just assume Idzik works on signing guys like Tate, Sanders, Jones or Nicks than chasing another CB or RT.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand how you sit there and do nothing while you have $40+ million in cap room. Makes no sense to me. The Giants had about $18 million if I recall correctly, and they found a way to upgrade 3 positions on day 1.

You would figure there would be at least 1 guy that they really liked, so they go out there and lock him up fast. If they chose not to spend decent money on tackle, guard, safety and cornerback then where exactly do they spend the money?

For example, I'm glad that most of the receivers are still out there but it wasn't exactly a great group to begin with. It's not like there's a guy in that group that you can toss $10 million at, not at all. What are they gonna do anyway, sign a Tate and Sanders and then have Tate, Sanders and Kerley? So no draft picks there? Or you put your 1st/2nd round WR pick 4th on the depth chart? What exactly do you do when Detroit signs Tate? Decker now?

You gonna throw money at a crappy tight end class? No thanks. The big money to be spent was on tackle, safety and corner mostly. Not too much else to use it on.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand how you sit there and do nothing while you have $40+ million in cap room. Makes no sense to me. The Giants had about $18 million if I recall correctly, and they found a way to upgrade 3 positions on day 1.

You would figure there would be at least 1 guy that they really liked, so they go out there and lock him up fast. If they chose not to spend decent money on tackle, guard, safety and cornerback then where exactly do they spend the money?

For example, I'm glad that most of the receivers are still out there but it wasn't exactly a great group to begin with. It's not like there's a guy in that group that you can toss $10 million at, not at all. What are they gonna do anyway, sign a Tate and Sanders and then have Tate, Sanders and Kerley? So no draft picks there? Or you put your 1st/2nd round WR pick 4th on the depth chart? What exactly do you do when Detroit signs Tate? Decker now?

You gonna throw money at a crappy tight end class? No thanks. The big money to be spent was on tackle, safety and corner mostly. Not too much else to use it on.

I can. First, it's only day 1. Plenty of quality free agents still out there. Two, this is usually the day a lot of days goes crazy and overpays for a player that doesn't deserve the money. Third, this team is still has a lot of holes, so there's no need to go on a spending spree and panic to try and fill those holes. Bad teams do that. See the Redskins and Raiders. Good teams build through the draft and supplement their roster in free agency. The teams that usually "win free agency" don't go very far. Fourth, it's not surprising it was a very quiet first day given the history of Idzik. Dude is patient as hell, so he is not going to make any brash signings for the sake of signing someone. And the free agency class is mostly filled with second tier players to begin with. The top name was a safety for god sakes. There's still plenty of time for the Jets to make moves. But they have to be smart ones. 

Archived