Official NFL Free Agency Transactions Thread

JoeC36

I can. First, it's only day 1. Plenty of quality free agents still out there. Two, this is usually the day a lot of days goes crazy and overpays for a player that doesn't deserve the money. Third, this team is still has a lot of holes, so there's no need to go on a spending spree and panic to try and fill those holes. Bad teams do that. See the Redskins and Raiders. Good teams build through the draft and supplement their roster in free agency. The teams that usually "win free agency" don't go very far. Fourth, it's not surprising it was a very quiet first day given the history of Idzik. Dude is patient as hell, so he is not going to make any brash signings for the sake of signing someone. And the free agency class is mostly filled with second tier players to begin with. The top name was a safety for god sakes. There's still plenty of time for the Jets to make moves. But they have to be smart ones. 

I'll concede that some of this is my own impatience and thus irrational.

But I'll give you an example of something that troubles me here. The offensive line is in shambles. We had problems at both guards and at right tackle. If you re-sign Austin Howard, you may still be looking for upgrades at both guard spots, but at least your maintaining some continuity at LT, C and RT. If we had upgraded RT significantly, you might be able to overlook the lack of continuity somewhat. But now we can no longer make a significant upgrade at RT, nor can we re-sign Howard. At the same time, we can't make significant upgrades at guard either. So now we're faced with this prospect: a new RT that isn't leaps and bounds better, a new RG (where's he coming from?) and either sticking it out with Brian Winters who had an awful season, or making a switch at LG too. If we make the switch, we're changing up 3 spots on the offensive line in one year, and probably without any of them being significantly better than their predecessors unless we find someone early in the draft. Put that in front of an inexperienced 2nd year QB, with an improved (hopefully) but still quite mediocre offense... and good luck.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can. First, it's only day 1. Plenty of quality free agents still out there. Two, this is usually the day a lot of days goes crazy and overpays for a player that doesn't deserve the money. Third, this team is still has a lot of holes, so there's no need to go on a spending spree and panic to try and fill those holes. Bad teams do that. See the Redskins and Raiders. Good teams build through the draft and supplement their roster in free agency. The teams that usually "win free agency" don't go very far. Fourth, it's not surprising it was a very quiet first day given the history of Idzik. Dude is patient as hell, so he is not going to make any brash signings for the sake of signing someone. And the free agency class is mostly filled with second tier players to begin with. The top name was a safety for god sakes. There's still plenty of time for the Jets to make moves. But they have to be smart ones. 

This is usually true, except it wasn't like some of these guys broke banks for their contracts.  Who thought the Titans overpaid for a CB?  That move there just makes the Jets and Idzik look like he was asleep.  Or it makes it look like none of the guys with options wants to even visit the Jets.  

Talib and Denver was far to much money. And the Jets were never in those conversations anyway.  I can understand that story.  But when Verner signs with the Titans for money nobody thinks is overpaying,  it just means the Titans were smarter or had a better sales pitch.

This is usually true, except it wasn't like some of these guys broke banks for their contracts.  Who thought the Titans overpaid for a CB?  That move there just makes the Jets and Idzik look like he was asleep.  Or it makes it look like none of the guys with options wants to even visit the Jets.  

Talib and Denver was far to much money. And the Jets were never in those conversations anyway.  I can understand that story.  But when Verner signs with the Titans for money nobody thinks is overpaying,  it just means the Titans were smarter or had a better sales pitch.

Verner signed with Tampa Bay. Cover 2 scheme.

Or it ccould be the post just below yours   :biggrin:

I just hope they don't overpay for him if this is true

I hope they dont overpay too. He hasn't gotten as much attention as I thought he would. And he is a good WR.

Eric Decker was just seen on a plane from Denver to Newark.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2014/03/eric-decker-spotted-on-flight-from-denver-to-newark

Eric Decker visiting Jets today.

Or it ccould be the post just below yours   :biggrin:

I just hope they don't overpay for him if this is true

I hope they dont overpay too. He hasn't gotten as much attention as I thought he would. And he is a good WR.

I don't understand giving Decker big $$$$$$, the Jets could just draft the same exact type of player, but with better hands in the 2nd round in Jordan Matthews.  And this new rumor of limiting Smith to 20 passes per game then why waste big $$$$ on a WR?  Shouldn't you be investing in run mauling offensive lineman?

I don't understand giving Decker big $$$$$$, the Jets could just draft the same exact type of player, but with better hands in the 2nd round in Jordan Matthews.  And this new rumor of limiting Smith to 20 passes per game then why waste big $$$$ on a WR?  Shouldn't you be investing in run mauling offensive lineman?

Rookie WR's tend to take a few years to develop. With Decker you are getting a young enough WR who knows how to play in this league already. You can still get Mathews and put him on the other side. We wont see the money until he signs. I'm guessing Decker has had to come down off his initial demands because of a lack of interest. Just a guess though and the lack of interest seems to be among all WR's thus far.

Rookie WR's tend to take a few years to develop. With Decker you are getting a young enough WR who knows how to play in this league already. You can still get Mathews and put him on the other side. We wont see the money until he signs. I'm guessing Decker has had to come down off his initial demands because of a lack of interest. Just a guess though and the lack of interest seems to be among all WR's thus far.

Decker - Matthews - Kerley - Ebron: sounds pretty good to me.

I don't understand giving Decker big $$$$$$, the Jets could just draft the same exact type of player, but with better hands in the 2nd round in Jordan Matthews. And this new rumor of limiting Smith to 20 passes per game then why waste big $$$$ on a WR? Shouldn't you be investing in run mauling offensive lineman?

Theres nothing that indicates Decker is going to get overpaid...why are you convinced he will be?

If he gets a #2 money contract...wouldnt that be spot on?

Really, are there any signs telling you Idzik is going to overpay?

Decker is not going to have the production with Smith, that he had with Manning.  Not by a far cry.  They will over pay for him, he's the big FA name WR.

I get the funny feeling they won't overpay. He deserves #2 money and hopefully he'll get exactly that, or leave the building. Kerley produced 523 yards while missing a few games, Nelson produced 423 last year. I get the feeling Decker can perform above those numbers, and hopefully Kerley continues to improve. If they don't overpay, its totally worth a shot.

How are some people not getting that paying Verner 6 mil dollars to play MAN COVERAGE would be a result of getting a 3 million dollar corner in our scheme?

Like Nnamdi when he went to the Eagles

Like Revis to the Bucs

Why are some people insistent that square pegs go into round holes and everything just works...Madden stylllle!

Talib...Davis...these are guys that would have had the most success here.

And they both happen to be f'n knuckleheads!

You give those guys long money and you have to keep your fingers crossed...NO THANKS!

And anyone thats on a holier than thou trip when Vick is concerned, but is getting pissy cause we missed out on Talib and Davis...ure a doosh.

Let's see what day 2 brings.  The team needs a CB.  Revis, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Captain Munnerlyn, Tarell Brown, and Walter Thrumond are still available.  All of the top Free Agent WR's are out there.  Maurice Jones-Drew and Ben Tate are available and both would upgrade the running game. The OL needs to be fixed and Anthony Collins formerly of the Bengals is available.  It's going to be interesting to see what Idzik has up his sleeve.

Because I don't believe this is an intentional effort on Idzik's part to sit tight with the money and wait it out. I think this is a reflection of how the Jets are viewed in NFL circles.

really? We hadn't noticed you pushing that narrative in 100s of posts a day joewillie78

The buffoon owner halwaying it with the buffoon coach, resulting in a buffoon franchise..

, exclaimed the buffoon fan!

Decker is not going to have the production with Smith, that he had with Manning.  Not by a far cry.  They will over pay for him, he's the big FA name WR.

he put up pretty good numbers with tebow. much better then what we have had the last few years. we get decker, one of the remaining cbs, Giacomini at tackle in FA i will be happy. then we can draft another wr, a te, safety, cb and olinemen

Archived