Official NFL Free Agency Transactions Thread

JoeC36

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes. So maybe Idzik did have a plan but it just fell through and he didn't have a backup plan.

This is my concern.  First day is a very volatile day and you need to have backup plans to your backup plans.  It sounds like he whiffed.  Not insurmountable but concerning if true.

Shefter also said The Saints will be holding on to Sproles and look to trade him. This is probably going to piss Sproles off since I think hes only making 3.8 mil on the saints contract and would have gotten more via FA. If Sproles and Decker join the Jets offense it gives us instant credibility and explosiveness.

This is my concern.  First day is a very volatile day and you need to have backup plans to your backup plans.  It sounds like he whiffed.  Not insurmountable but concerning if true.

Did Vontae Davis get 10 mil per ? if so you add a mil or 2 and bring Revis back. Theres your back up plan

I don't understand giving Decker big $$$$$$, the Jets could just draft the same exact type of player, but with better hands in the 2nd round in Jordan Matthews.  And this new rumor of limiting Smith to 20 passes per game then why waste big $$$$ on a WR?  Shouldn't you be investing in run mauling offensive lineman?

I doubt the rumor about 20 passes a game is real though. 

Did Vontae Davis get 10 mil per ? if so you add a mil or 2 and bring Revis back. Theres your back up plan.

Realistically, he's not getting 16 per from anyone like he did in Tampa. I would go as high as 12, and that's probably higher than you need to go.

Realistically, he's not getting 16 per from anyone like he did in Tampa. I would go as high as 12, and that's probably higher than you need to go.

Im with ya Stoic you basically said the same thing I did ...I would not go over 12 mil and as with all FA's it might come down to the guaranteed money

Im with ya Stoic you basically said the same thing I did ...I would not go over 12 mil and as with all FA's it might come down to the guaranteed money

If they can creatively structure a "holdout proof" contract, I'd say pay him, sign Decker, cut Sanchez and early FA would be an enormous win.

Decker is not going to have the production with Smith, that he had with Manning.  Not by a far cry.  They will over pay for him, he's the big FA name WR.

Well no sh*t he won't have the same production, that would go for any WR in the history of the NFL.  That said, he actually had himself a pretty good season before Manning showed up with Tim freakin' Tebow of all people as his QB.  It was hardly All Pro, but was only his second year and still better than anything we've seen from a Jets WR in ages.  So while I agree he should hardly be paid like one of the top WRs in the league, he's not some completely unproven nobody either and certainly has earned at least high-end #2 type money.

If they can creatively structure a "holdout proof" contract, I'd say pay him, sign Decker, cut Sanchez and early FA would be an enormous win.

"If Player does not report on time for each day of training camp and in-season activities (excepting Manager-approved absences), Player must write 'Richard Sherman is better than me' on the team whiteboard 1,000 times and post an Instagram photo standing in front of it".

Done.  Next problem?

I've read Denver flat out told him they think he's a #2 and they'll pay him as such. But that they would try to match his best offer.

actually supposedly Mike Martz has thier OC's ear and thinks Decker is no better then a #3

If Revis ends up in New England its going to be completely deflating as a Jets fan. This is not a typical NE move, until you consider the fact that Belicheck loves to stick it to the Jets.

Agree...Maybe one of the most deflating things I will have experienced yet..

Plus seeing Bitonti make a complete reversal on his opinion of Idzik would be a sight to behold.

Don't be silly, he'd just be sure to let us all know how that proved he was right all along.  Probably even credit himself for Revis being back on the team.  The fact that the initial trade itself was the only reason the Jets now have the reigning DPOY would of course be conveniently deleted from every post he quoted.

Decker is not going to have the production with Smith, that he had with Manning.  Not by a far cry.  They will over pay for him, he's the big FA name WR.

We already know Idzik has been low balling FA's so far ( or we've heard) Why would Decker need to visit if the contract talks weren't in the appropriate ball park? The Broncos just spent the whole week before the Super Bowl at Atlantic Health training center. 

There is more to this than just a visit. 

We already know Idzik has been low balling FA's so far ( or we've heard) Why would Decker need to visit if the contract talks weren't in the appropriate ball park? The Broncos just spent the whole week before the Super Bowl at Atlantic Health training center.

There is more to this than just a visit.

Agreed... Decker's firsr and last visit is probably here. And I say we go straight for Sanders or Tate if they aren't signed by the time we snag Decker. ]

I can't post a link but just some food for thought.. Saints are looking to sign Sproles back. I kinda want him more then MJD

In an ideal world I agree Sproles would be the better choice, but MJD himself is still a pretty damn good receiver (which would be the #1 job for either of these guys) and if the Saints are asking for a lot via a trade, the difference between the two probably isn't worth it.

My reaction at first was the same. Even a slight overpay here would be ok. You were probably thinking about the Super Bowl like I was. But the Seahawks completely dominated the whole Denver offense that day, not just Decker. I'm more concerned about the Seahawks OT that is visiting. He looks kinda sh*tty.

Giacomini is this year's Colon. They'll bring him in and hope he gets beat out by Aboushi.

In an ideal world I agree Sproles would be the better choice, but MJD himself is still a pretty damn good receiver (which would be the #1 job for either of these guys) and if the Saints are asking for a lot via a trade, the difference between the two probably isn't worth it.

From the Rotoworld blurb:

There wouldn't seem to be much trade interest in a 31-year-old gadget running back, but in a world where Blaine Gabbert fetches a sixth-rounder, anything is possible

Ok lets play best case scenario. Revis signs with the Jets giving us the best CB in football and mentors Milliner. We sign a RT (there are a number still out there as good as Howard).

We draft a stud safety like Pryor or Ha Ha Dixon (mentored by Ed Reed), a stud guard like Sua-filo , sign Emanule Sanders, Miles Asutin, and draft a nice tall fast WR (Moncreif), sign an accomplished QB like McCwon, Vick. Draft a developmental QB like Garrapolo, Murray, Matthews, etc, Draft a good blocking TE like C.J. Fiedorowicz. We would be better, younger, and deeper. Would just need a scat back and a rushing LB. See how easy that was.

You know there's position coaches on the team right?

If we sign MJD this offseason is a farce 

Meh, it depends on what they spend on him. A team this young does need some veteran leadership, and you won't over-pay for a veteran RB, so it's not a bad position to target with regards to adding veteran leadership via FA.

Sproles requires good spacing to operate.  And last year proved that just about anyone can do what he does in New Orleans' system.  Even though MJD is old he can still probably do a better job of creating on his own than Sproles can.  I imagine he'll be a pleasant surprise like LT was in his old age.

Archived