Official NFL Free Agency Transactions Thread

JoeC36

Patriots signed WR Brandon LaFell to a three-year, $11 million contract.

LaFell will give the Patriots another receiver to compete with Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins. A disappointing four-year player, LaFell posted 49 catches, 627 yards, and five touchdowns with Carolina last season. LaFell won't be higher than the No. 3 wideout in New England and will struggle for consistent snaps. The Panthers have now lost their top-four receivers to free agency and currently have Tavarres King and Marvin McNutt atop their depth chart.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giants signed CB Walter Thurmond III, formerly of the Seahawks, to a one-year, $3.5 million contract.

The Giants are arguably having the best free agency period, not that that necessarily means a whole lot. Thurmond, 26, has good size at 5-foot-11 and 190 pounds and can play the slot and outside. We'd tentatively expect him to start opposite Prince Amukamara. Trumaine McBride will be the No. 3 corner. Thurmond's market was likely affected by his November suspension.

They still have Thompkins, Amedola and Edelman. They're better than what the Jets have.

Ask any Carolina fan -- LaFell blows.  Amendola can't stay healthy.  Kenny Britt, if signed, is a shell of the shell of his former self at best.

Thompkins definitely showed flashes last year though...and Edelman fits the need well.  He's nothing super special, but he works hard, stays relatively healthy (I don't remember him missing games, but could be wrong), and catches the ball.  With Brady throwing to you, that's basically all you need.

I don't know if I'd call LaFell and Britt "solid" anything. They should go get Cotchery. He could be Troy Brown for them.

Excellent point.  Cotch is much better receiver overall and a better fit with Brady to boot.  He could have a second resurrection of his career in NE.

Patriots signed WR Brandon LaFell to a three-year, $11 million contract.

LaFell will give the Patriots another receiver to compete with Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins. A disappointing four-year player, LaFell posted 49 catches, 627 yards, and five touchdowns with Carolina last season. LaFell won't be higher than the No. 3 wideout in New England and will struggle for consistent snaps. The Panthers have now lost their top-four receivers to free agency and currently have Tavarres King and Marvin McNutt atop their depth chart.

That's a good, solid Pats-like signing that's really only good and solid b/c they have Tom Brady. As a Jets fan I'd want no part of LaFell but I can see him have a very Jabar Gaffney-esque couple seasons in NE. Solid starting vet who doesn't break the bank. *pukes

That's a good, solid Pats-like signing that's really only good and solid b/c they have Tom Brady. As a Jets fan I'd want no part of LaFell but I can see him have a very Jabar Gaffney-esque couple seasons in NE. Solid starting vet who doesn't break the bank. *pukes

How sad is it that we can say a player will be Jabar Gaffney-esque and it NOT be an insult?

H8Brady

So if the only time smart organizations spend is when they are on the verge of a Super Bowl, does that mean the giants are contenders or did they become stupid overnight? Anyone that's watched that team the past 2 years should know that they aren't contenders so I guess they are running their franchise the wrong way all of the sudden?

So if the only time smart organizations spend is when they are on the verge of a Super Bowl, does that mean the giants are contenders or did they become stupid overnight? Anyone that's watched that team the past 2 years should know that they aren't contenders so I guess they are running their franchise the wrong way all of the sudden?

I don't think a 1 year, $3.5M deal to a borderline starting corner is something to get upset about.  That's the same amount of money the Colts just gave Hakeem Nicks. 

Sidney Rice draws interest of Jets, Saints, Seahawks
  • _Hanzus_2-65x90.jpg
  •  

print.png
    g-plus.png
    share-button.png

• By Dan Hanzus
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: March 17, 2014 at 12:49 p.m.

The New York Jets locked up one notable free-agent wide receiver in Eric Decker. They're not done yet.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that the Jets are interested in acquiring formerSeattle Seahawks wide receiver Sidney Rice. The New Orleans Saints are also interested, as are theSeahawks, who cut Rice last month in a cap-related move.

Standing 6-foot-4 and 202 pounds, Rice would give the Jets another big receiver to play opposite the 6-foot-3, 214-pound Decker. Health is the biggest question mark: Rice has battled knee issues for several years -- he traveled to Switzerland to undergo platelet-rich plasma therapy in August before suffering a torn ACL in October.

Rice would give Drew Brees a big-bodied red-zone target in the Marques Colston mold. The Saintshave an opening at wideout with Lance Moore set to visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers this week.

Rice's best season came with the Minnesota Vikings in 2010 (better known as The Good Brett Favre Year) when he posted 83 receptions for 1,312 yards and eight touchdowns.

That gives you an idea of the ceiling here. The question is durability, and whether the 27-year-old Rice has entered a premature state of physical decline.

The "Around The League Podcast" breaks down all the free-agency moves and hands out a fleet ofhigh-octane sandwiches.

So now a 'meh' signing is reason to get up in arms?

No. The fact that we're a week into free agency, most of the top 100 players (especially at positions of need) are gone and besides a nice upgrade at WR, all we have done is gotten worse or made lateral moves while sitting on $30+ million dollars---that is supposed to get you up in arms.

No. The fact that we're a week into free agency, most of the top 100 players (especially at positions of need) are gone and besides a nice upgrade at WR, all we have done is gotten worse or made lateral moves while sitting on $30+ million dollars---that is supposed to get you up in arms.

Lateral moves, while increasing your cap space is a positive move. Knowing how self-admittedly poor you are with money, I'm not sure you'll understand that.  

How have we gotten worse? By losing the single-worst starting player from our secondary, who was one of the bottom 5 ranked CBs in the entire NFL? That's how we got worse?  Or by losing Ed Reed? Please, enlighten me, how exactly have we gotten worse?

Lateral moves, while increasing your cap space is a positive move. Knowing how self-admittedly poor you are with money, I'm not sure you'll understand that.  

How have we gotten worse? By losing the single-worst starting player from our secondary, who was one of the bottom 5 ranked CBs in the entire NFL? That's how we got worse?  Or by losing Ed Reed? Please, enlighten me, how exactly have we gotten worse?

Agreed, it's hard to get worse when you don't have much talent to begin with.

I would say that we've gotten worse in the secondary: there is now no quality veteran amongst our corners, and our safeties still blow. Even though Cro had an awful year, I don't expect a trio of Milliner, Wilson and Walls will perform much better together---especially with no one to help them at safety.

Other than that, it's just been lateral at best. When you have an up and coming team with plenty of picks and $40m in cap space, I would expect more than 1 upgrade. But as of yet, we have upgraded at only one position. True or false?

I would say that we've gotten worse in the secondary: there is now no quality veteran amongst our corners, and our safeties still blow. Even though Cro had an awful year, I don't expect a trio of Milliner, Wilson and Walls will perform much better together---especially with no one to help them at safety.

Other than that, it's just been lateral at best. When you have an up and coming team with plenty of picks and $40m in cap space, I would expect more than 1 upgrade. But as of yet, we have upgraded at only one position. True or false?

We've upgraded at WR, that is true.  Having the third youngest team in the league, I fully expect a majority of the players to take a big jump, which is not an unreasonable expectation.  More likely than not, we'll be rolling with Cro or another veteran in that 2nd CB spot, which will give you your veteran presence.  

This season is going to go how Geno Smith goes, which is not hinged on CB play. If he sucks, I'd just assume not have $9 million per year locked up in a 2nd CB and wait for those types of moves when we're sure he's the real deal or not.  If I were to spend big on FA it would have been to surround Geno with the players to succeed and evaluate him, getting Rex another CB was at the bottom of my list.  I love Rex, but if he wants to lay claim to being a defensive genius, he can suffice without two #1 CBs.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 22m

Their misses get a lot of publicity. But the #Raiders have quietly signed OT Austin Howard, Justin Tuck, Woodley, & now James Jones. Solid.

They overpaid for a RT and signed a bunch of 30 or soon to be 30 year olds? Not sure how these are solid moves.

Look at what the Raiders did--Tuck, Woodley, James Jones, etc--is that really what you wanted the Jets to do?

Archived