Official NFL Free Agency Transactions Thread

JoeC36

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Free agent RB Maurice Jones-Drew is visiting the Steelers Wednesday.

The Steelers have a gaping hole behind Le'Veon Bell, where Alvester Alexander is currently listed as the backup. Jones-Drew looked completely out of gas last season as he averaged 3.43 yards per carry, but he'll turn just 28 years old later this month. A role as Bell's change-of-pace would fit nicely. Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Steelers "are not the only interested team." MJD has previously been linked to the Jets.

Panthers agreed to terms with WR Jerricho Cotchery.

Cotchery chooses the Panthers over the Steelers, likely because he's sees a bigger opportunity in Carolina. He now heads a barren receiving corps that also features Marvin McNutt and Tavarres King. Of course, the 32-year-old (in June) Cotchery is best suited as a No. 3 option and we still expect GM Dave Gettleman to add talent to the position through the draft or trade market. It's not a very sexy signing. Even Steve Smith, who was the Panthers' No. 1 option last year, could only manage a 64-745-4 line.

FOX Houston reports free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick is visiting the Texans on Thursday.

It's Fitzpatrick's first visit since he was cut loose by the Titans last Friday. It's a sign the Texans are finally getting ready to make a move with Matt Schaub. Fitz would arguably be an upgrade on Schaub, and should come cheaper. He'd be an ideal caddie for a rookie first-rounder.

This might impact a potential Sanchez to Houston trade. 

Why? Is it still "too early" in free agency? Still plenty of players out there to improve the team? Get real.

Most GMs have been on record saying that the beginning of free agency is usually the period where teams overspend on players and it's when all the dust settles that the good GMs and execs improve their team.  Despite what you may have been conditioned to believe based off of years playing fantasy football or madden, but the other 60% of the roster really matters outside of the starting 22. 

are we are better team yet?

We've made lateral moves all over, kept 7 of our own players and upgraded at the most important position, so I'd say yes, we are a better team. The only player that we've lost and have yet to externally replace is Cromartie, who happened to be the weakest link of our secondary. It's a very real possibility that we could want Walls to compete for that job, who did happen to grade out better than Cro in his spot starts. This is all not to mention we still have 12 draft picks and the "mini draft" yet to happen.  

All of this aside, the only thing that matters is Geno's development. If he develops and turns into an average to above average QB this year, that will in and of itself make up for not signing a second #1 CB.  Bear in mind that we were 7-1 last year when we scored over 20 points...7-1.  If Geno doesn't develop, that second CB is not going to make the difference.  Couple this to the fact that we are one of the youngest teams and our entire Dline should be making a pretty significant leap forward in their play and yes, I do think we are a better team.

Rich Cimini @RichCimini 2h

Rex/Idzik call is over. I think the Jets just lost two more free agents during the call. #nyj

I keep hearing that Jet fans should not be worried that we have not signed anyone because Izdik builds through the draft, not free agency.

Although, obviously Izdik does not believe this to be true as he keeps trying to sign players.  He just keeps losing them. 

I do not know if I should be more worried that Izdik cannot sign anyone, or that we have so many holes that the draft will not filll them all.

I keep hearing that Jet fans should not be worried that we have not signed anyone because Izdik builds through the draft, not free agency.

Although, obviously Izdik does not believe this to be true as he keeps trying to sign players.  He just keeps losing them. 

I do not know if I should be more worried that Izdik cannot sign anyone, or that we have so many holes that the draft will not filll them all.

I'd say both concerns are equally valid. His offer to DRC in comparison to what the Giants offered shows that he's not in touch with reality. At the same time, we have the following needs currently heading into the draft: both safety spots could be upgraded, outside linebacker, wide receiver, tight end, potentially running back, offensive line depth, cornerback... think that about covers it.

I'd say both concerns are equally valid. His offer to DRC in comparison to what the Giants offered shows that he's not in touch with reality. At the same time, we have the following needs currently heading into the draft: both safety spots could be upgraded, outside linebacker, wide receiver, tight end, potentially running back, offensive line depth, cornerback... think that about covers it.

forgot safety

Big difference between placing specific values and setting ceilings on players and "not being able to sign" them. 

Big difference between placing specific values and setting ceilings on players and "not being able to sign" them. 

I definitely understand what you are saying, but we have alot of money and alot of holes, so many holes that I am wondering if we will even go 8-8 next year, unless Izdik can draft a starting number one reciever, starting safety, and starting cornerback, and that does not cover all of our holes.

Here's to another rebuilding year

I definitely understand what you are saying, but we have alot of money and alot of holes, so many holes that I am wondering if we will even go 8-8 next year, unless Izdik can draft a starting number one reciever, starting safety, and starting cornerback, and that does not cover all of our holes.

Here's to another rebuilding year

Idzik signed less players last year, we started a rookie QB who had zero experience taking a snap from under center in a brand new offensive system, we had 13 new starters on both sides of the ball combined, had no wide receivers, Cro had his worst season as a Jet and yet we were somehow able to go 8-8.

Now, after a year where we've upgraded the receiving corp, our entire young defensive line will see improvement, our QB has familiarity in the system, our roster is bringing back the majority of the starters and this is all before we've even added our 12 draft picks, yet we're going to suddenly be worse?  How is this possible? The only player we've lost and have yet to replace is Cromartie and he had one of the worst seasons by a Jet last year. So outside of irrational fear, what exactly makes us so much worse? I'm really struggling to find a reason.

Idzik signed less players last year, we started a rookie QB who had zero experience taking a snap from under center in a brand new offensive system, we had 13 new starters on both sides of the ball combined, had no wide receivers, Cro had his worst season as a Jet and yet we were somehow able to go 8-8.

Now, after a year where we've upgraded the receiving corp, our entire young defensive line will see improvement, our QB has familiarity in the system, our roster is bringing back the majority of the starters and this is all before we've even added our 12 draft picks, yet we're going to suddenly be worse?  How is this possible? The only player we've lost and have yet to replace is Cromartie and he had one of the worst seasons by a Jet last year. So outside of irrational fear, what exactly makes us so much worse? I'm really struggling to find a reason.

You might be correct, as I did say I wonder if we will be 8-8, but I do not see any reason why would we would be better next year, other than a hope that Geno will be better with another year under his belt.  Other than that, we are pretty much the same team.  I was told we were stuck with last year's team because we had no money and crappy contracts and that this year will be different.

I just had hopes that this year we were going to improve the team.  We will probably improve with draft picks, but so does every team in the NFL

You might be correct, as I did say I wonder if we will be 8-8, but I do not see any reason why would we would be better next year, other than a hope that Geno will be better with another year under his belt.  Other than that, we are pretty much the same team.  I was told we were stuck with last year's team because we had no money and crappy contracts and that this year will be different.

I just had hopes that this year we were going to improve the team.  We will probably improve with draft picks, but so does every team in the NFL

The thing we have going in our favor is that all of our best players from last year are young and will only continue to get better e.g. Sheldon, Mo, Snacks, Davis, Allen, Coples and Dee towards the end of the year.  If Sheldon and Coples make the same jump that Mo made, this unit will be one of the top, if not the top dline in the NFL, that is reason we could be better. 

However, it still all hinges on Geno. As I mentioned before, we were 7-1 when scoring more than 20 points, if Idzik can build an offense that can be competent and consistent, this team will make the playoffs.  It's far more important to surround Geno and our offense with talent right now that adding a big named #2 CB.  

I hope you are right broadwayjoe.  I have not seen any indication that we will be better on Offense, other than signing Decker ( who I personally did not think was the best signing as I thought his numbers were inflated due to Manning).

without doing much improvement on the team, it all relies on Geno's shoulders.  Geno flops, so does the Jets

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 1h

Backup QB money is unreal RT @McClain_on_NFL: Ryan Fitzpatrick gets 2 years, 7.5 mil, 4 mil guaranteed.

Wonder what Vick is looking for if that's what Fitz got?!!!

Don't worry Jets fans.... Idzik will offer a 6 month show me deal for $600,000 with a $75 signing bonus.

Archived