Jets all over Vick

F.Chowds

I just think it's ironic and amusing that some lives are considered food and some aren't.

Foer argues that point actually. That it really doesn't make much sense if we keep dogs as pets and eat pigs, especially considering that pigs can be more intelligent. Dogs, however, do not produce bacon.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think it's ironic and amusing that some lives are considered food and some aren't.

I think you are missing the point entirely, people are not up in arms that chinese eat dog and cat meat. People are up in arms because this guy tortured animals for pleasure.

It's a combination of both for sure. I think if a wizard granted a broiler chicken the ability to speak, they would certainly voice their displeasure with the extraordinarily lengthy process that they're put through during slaughter.

I also imagine that this chicken would have a British accent.

tumblr_li6egpMxcQ1qzftdso1_500.gif

I think you are missing the point entirely, people are not up in arms that chinese eat dog and cat meat. People are up in arms because this guy tortured animals for pleasure.

My personal beef with the whole thing isn't so much my love of dogs as it is the simple ability to do what dog fighters do. It has absolutely nothing to do with the species. Anyone that's capable of hanging a living being from a tree and maiming and burning it's face, and the countless other horrendous things that happen all in the interest of entertainment, (not food, entertainment), can go die in traffic.

My personal beef with the whole thing isn't so much my love of dogs as it is the simple ability to do what dog fighters do. It has absolutely nothing to do with the species. Anyone that's capable of hanging a living being from a tree and maiming and burning it's face, and the countless other horrendous things that happen all in the interest of entertainment, (not food, entertainment), can go die in traffic.

Exactly

Well, that's the other half of the point I've made.  Why do we tolerate some criminals and not others in the league?

Well, that's the other half of the point I've made.  Why do we tolerate some criminals and not others in the league?

I think there is a level of intentional cruelty and sadism that you seem to be dismissing in your attempts to point out hypocrisy in others. This wasn't a one time thing, this wasn't heat of the moment, this wasn't unintentional or accidental. This was repeated behavior committed over years and years of acts so vile an cruel that any normal person couldn't imagine them. I am quite certain that if Donte Stallworth would be perceived much differently if proven to be a serial torture/murderer vs some guy who made a terrible decision that led to a terrible outcome.

I think there is a level of intentional cruelty and sadism that you seem to be dismissing in your attempts to point out hypocrisy in others. This wasn't a one time thing, this wasn't heat of the moment, this wasn't unintentional or accidental. This was repeated acts committed over years and years of acts so vile an cruel that any normal person couldn't imagine them. I am quite certain that if Donte Stallworth would be perceived much differently if proven to be a serial torture/murderer vs some guy who made a terrible decision that led to a terrible outcome.

I'm thinking less Stallworth and more Big Ben.

No idiot, there is no form of torture that is acceptable. People may choose to be willfully ignorant to the inhumane treatment animals receive on factory farms, but understood that the ultimate purpose is feeding humans which makes it a lot more palatable for most.

What Vick did had no purpose other then sick entertainment, and I'm certain there'd be an outcry if anyone was sadistically torturing cows with no purpose in mind other then the act of doing it. In fact, I've seen people react to hidden videos of animal torture in these factories and the reaction if near universal repulsion.

You think you are making a point with this nonsense about people only caring because dogs are cute, but you are not

So do you lecture the guy trying to sell you camoflauge at Dicks? Or is shooting dumb animals more palatable to you because its a "sport"?

So do you lecture the guy trying to sell you camoflauge at Dicks? Or is shooting dumb animals more palatable to you because its a "sport"?

I think it's sick, but it's not torture, it serves a purpose, and to my understanding, most hunters make use of what they kill.

I think it's sick, but it's not torture, it serves a purpose, and to my understanding, most hunters make use of what they kill.

Yeah they decorate their dens with the decapitated heads of the losing team. Problem is I don't think Bambi knew he was playing.

Yeah they decorate their dens with the decapitated heads of the losing team. Problem is I don't think Bambi knew he was playing.

hunter are always so impressed with themselves....as if spraying deer piss around to hide your scent and then hiding for hours so you can shoot an animal that has no chanceto defende it itself is somehow an impressive feet. i'd be impressed if they waited up in the tree and then, when the deer walked by they pounced down and beat the deer in melee combat.

so NFLN just reported the jets talks with vick "stalled" because the jets were only willing to go as far as "you can compete for the starting job", and wouldn't hand it to him

please be true

That's encouraging if true. I don't mind Vick competing in camp if we were to sign him, but Geno showed enough to at least compete for another year. No QB that will be available should be handed the job without beating Geno out.

That's encouraging if true. I don't mind Vick competing in camp if we were to sign him, but Geno showed enough to at least compete for another year. No QB that will be available should be handed the job without beating Geno out.

I'm not a Smith guy but I agree.  If Smith can beat him out, it should be his job.  I can'

t imagine any one is just going to guarantee Vick a starting job.  

so NFLN just reported the jets talks with vick "stalled" because the jets were only willing to go as far as "you can compete for the starting job", and wouldn't hand it to him

please be true

**** vick. i really hope this is true. idk why they'd want to sign him. crap qb and sh*t person

No question the discussion has been civil, but "If the Jets sign Vick I quit the team" surely falls under "moral outrage," no?

The bottom line is that Mike Vick is everything that Tim Tebow was, but add onto that list constant ending injuries, no blind hope that he's "still improving" (quite the opposite is true actually), and generally not being particularly well-liked as a person, you can't be too shocked to see this kind of reaction to this potential move.

I think this move would be just as idiotic, but wouldn't require me to concede that he seemed like a nice enough young fellah to an endless clan of fellators.

please be true

If that's true then good for the Jets (at least on a relative scale) and Vick can thoroughly go **** himself.  If the Jets were to make such an agreement, and actually stick to it, all of those who were in on that decision would need to be told to start getting their resumes ready.  There is literally absolutely no reason that Vick deserves to be blindly handed a starting job for any team in the NFL, regardless of the circumstances.  If he's as good as he apparently thinks he is, then earning it shouldn't be such a problem.  What an a$$hole.

If that's true then good for the Jets (at least on a relative scale) and Vick can thoroughly go **** himself. If the Jets were to make such an agreement, and actually stick to it, all of those who were in on that decision would need to be told to start getting their resumes ready. There is literally absolutely no reason that Vick deserves to be blindly handed a starting job for any team in the NFL, regardless of the circumstances. If he's as good as he apparently thinks he is, then earning it shouldn't be such a problem. What an a$$hole.

I so wish I was one of those southern preachers!

Can I get an AAAAAMEN!

According to the NFL Network, talks between the Jets and free agent Michael Vick have hit a "roadblock."

The roadblock is reportedly Vick wanting a starting job. That's interesting, because it suggests either the Jets have a stronger commitment to Geno Smith than they've let on, or Vick doesn't want to fight for snaps. If Vick thinks he's going to be handed a starting gig at this point in his career without competing for it, he's kidding himself. Reporter Kim Jones says the two sides could revisit a deal in the future. Right now, Vick's best landing spot looks like the rudderless Raiders.

According to the NFL Network, talks between the Jets and free agent Michael Vick have hit a "roadblock."

The roadblock is reportedly Vick wanting a starting job. That's interesting, because it suggests either the Jets have a stronger commitment to Geno Smith than they've let on, or Vick doesn't want to fight for snaps. If Vick thinks he's going to be handed a starting gig at this point in his career without competing for it, he's kidding himself. Reporter Kim Jones says the two sides could revisit a deal in the future. Right now, Vick's best landing spot looks like the rudderless Raiders.

This is great news.  Geno should be the starter.

I have never seen such vitriol for any man, ever. It's really incredible.

What Vick did was reprehensible, but not unique. Humans have been abusing animals, to varying degrees, for millennia. We have genetically engineered animals to perform specific functions, to do work... thereby increasing human productivity, and human profits. Generally, we have inflicted some form of pain on the animal in order to get it to obey our command, and to perform. Intimidation. Whether it's hauling bricks across the ancient desert, digging vermin out of holes, racing around a track, plowing the fields, or performing in a circus ring. Or, unfortunately, fighting to the death. If an animal doesn't perform its designed function very well, historically... it has been killed. If it no longer produces milk, or gets sick due to poor living conditions (which we provide), it is often slaughtered. Considered useless.

Hell, we have a long history of forcing HUMANS into labor, war, and organized fights to the death. It's a human fascination. We have had human cleansing campaigns, for goodness sake. Mass slaughter of our OWN SPECIES, for no good reason. Additionally, since the last time Michael Vick "murdered" a dog, there have been some 5 million HUMAN murders worldwide. Why is everyone still so hung up on Michael Vick? I guess because he also happens to possess world class athletic ability.

In our modern society, we like to think we are above bloodsport... but, sadly, we aren't. There will continue to be war, genocide, and crime. There will continue to be box-office movies glorifying battle. We will continue to have the Hunger Games. We will always find creative ways to pit two men (or two women) against each other, in combat. We glorify the big hits, the knockouts. The blood on the canvas, and teeth on the ice. We playback the injuries in slow motion, and watch people get "jacked up!". We are bloodthirsty. It's our nature.

Vick took it too far, but I do believe he was at least partially a product of his environment. Sometimes when you grow up around something, that something is just a part of the culture. An accepted practice that just... Is. The smartest might question it's merits, but most will just follow along. Dog fighting is a fact of life in parts of the country. It just is. Maybe you hate dog fighting, but have a strong affinity for your twice daily triple bacon cheeseburger habit and taxidermy. What if Vick doesn't eat pork because he owns a pet piglet? Who's the better person in this instance? You cannot force anyone to agree with your personal set of morals as it pertains to protecting one animal and savagely stuffing another species in your mouth, or mounting one above your fireplace. Everyone values animal life differently.

Michael Vick paid a price arguably greater than ANY single animal abuser in the history of mankind. This is significant, and should be recognized. The same people who call Vick the most disgusting human scum would often like to see a bunch of dogs rip him apart for the world to see. So much for your moral superiority there!

Oddly, people think the man shouldn't be allowed to play football anymore, which is in itself the modern American bloodsport. Who plays football? Mostly poor kids looking to get out of the ghetto, while in the process risking life, limb, early Alzheimers for the sake of your ENTERTAINMENT from the comfort of your couch or luxury skybox. Modern day gladiators, in many respects.

If you're so morally superior to Michael Vick, and you love animals so damn much, then you'd better not be caught dead eating a Big Mac, taking medication, wearing stylish leather shoes, doing up your hair using animal-tested products. If you really believe we are one with all animals, that we aren't at the top of the food chain, then go live in the woods with no clothes, no shelter. Hang out naked with a bunch of wild bears and compete for food and territory the way nature must have intended. Give up your home, your human everything, and oh yeah, your pet animals too. You know, the ones that you OWN, because you are the species with the bigger brain.

Leave Michael Vick alone. He broke the law, and paid his debt. In our society he is now free to earn back his life and his reputation. It will take work. It will likely take the rest of his life in the eyes of many. Just remember, he didn't harm his fellow man, not did he kill your darling Fluffy. Though your pet does vaguely resemble the animals he brutalized, insofar as they are both canines, they are not the same thing.

I have never seen such vitriol for any man, ever.  It's really incredible.

What Vick did was reprehensible, but not unique.  Humans have been abusing animals, to varying degrees, for millennia.  We have genetically engineered animals to perform specific functions, to do work... thereby increasing human productivity, and human profits.  Generally, we have inflicted some form of pain on the animal in order to get it to obey our command, and to perform.  Intimidation.  Whether it's hauling bricks across the ancient desert, digging vermin out of holes, racing around a track, plowing the fields, or performing in a circus ring.  Or, unfortunately, fighting to the death.  If an animal doesn't perform its designed function very well, historically... it has been killed.  If it no longer produces milk, or gets sick due to poor living conditions (which we provide), it is often slaughtered.  Considered useless.

Hell, we have a long history of forcing HUMANS into labor, war, and organized fights to the death.  It's a human fascination.  We have had human cleansing campaigns, for goodness sake.  Mass slaughter of our OWN SPECIES, for no good reason. 

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain...Time...to die.

I have never seen such vitriol for any man, ever. It's really incredible.

What Vick did was reprehensible, but not unique. Humans have been abusing animals, to varying degrees, for millennia. We have genetically engineered animals to perform specific functions, to do work... thereby increasing human productivity, and human profits. Generally, we have inflicted some form of pain on the animal in order to get it to obey our command, and to perform. Intimidation. Whether it's hauling bricks across the ancient desert, digging vermin out of holes, racing around a track, plowing the fields, or performing in a circus ring. Or, unfortunately, fighting to the death. If an animal doesn't perform its designed function very well, historically... it has been killed. If it no longer produces milk, or gets sick due to poor living conditions (which we provide), it is often slaughtered. Considered useless.

Hell, we have a long history of forcing HUMANS into labor, war, and organized fights to the death. It's a human fascination. We have had human cleansing campaigns, for goodness sake. Mass slaughter of our OWN SPECIES, for no good reason. Additionally, since the last time Michael Vick "murdered" a dog, there have been some 5 million HUMAN murders worldwide. Why is everyone still so hung up on Michael Vick? I guess because he also happens to possess world class athletic ability.

In our modern society, we like to think we are above bloodsport... but, sadly, we aren't. There will continue to be war, genocide, and crime. There will continue to be box-office movies glorifying battle. We will continue to have the Hunger Games. We will always find creative ways to pit two men (or two women) against each other, in combat. We glorify the big hits, the knockouts. The blood on the canvas, and teeth on the ice. We playback the injuries in slow motion, and watch people get "jacked up!". We are bloodthirsty. It's our nature.

Vick took it too far, but I do believe he was at least partially a product of his environment. Sometimes when you grow up around something, that something is just a part of the culture. An accepted practice that just... Is. The smartest might question it's merits, but most will just follow along. Dog fighting is a fact of life in parts of the country. It just is. Maybe you hate dog fighting, but have a strong affinity for your twice daily triple bacon cheeseburger habit and taxidermy. What if Vick doesn't eat pork because he owns a pet piglet? Who's the better person in this instance? You cannot force anyone to agree with your personal set of morals as it pertains to protecting one animal and savagely stuffing another species in your mouth, or mounting one above your fireplace. Everyone values animal life differently.

Michael Vick paid a price arguably greater than ANY single animal abuser in the history of mankind. This is significant, and should be recognized. The same people who call Vick the most disgusting human scum would often like to see a bunch of dogs rip him apart for the world to see. So much for your moral superiority there!

Oddly, people think the man shouldn't be allowed to play football anymore, which is in itself the modern American bloodsport. Who plays football? Mostly poor kids looking to get out of the ghetto, while in the process risking life, limb, early Alzheimers for the sake of your ENTERTAINMENT from the comfort of your couch or luxury skybox. Modern day gladiators, in many respects.

If you're so morally superior to Michael Vick, and you love animals so damn much, then you'd better not be caught dead eating a Big Mac, taking medication, wearing stylish leather shoes, doing up your hair using animal-tested products. If you really believe we are one with all animals, that we aren't at the top of the food chain, then go live in the woods with no clothes, no shelter. Hang out naked with a bunch of wild bears and compete for food and territory the way nature must have intended. Give up your home, your human everything, and oh yeah, your pet animals too. You know, the ones that you OWN, because you are the species with the bigger brain.

Leave Michael Vick alone. He broke the law, and paid his debt. In our society he is now free to earn back his life and his reputation. It will take work. It will likely take the rest of his life in the eyes of many. Just remember, he didn't harm his fellow man, not did he kill your darling Fluffy. Though your pet does vaguely resemble the animals he brutalized, insofar as they are both canines, they are not the same thing.

Some people do not want to cheer someone who strangled "man's best friend" with his own two bare hands.  I do not care that he paid his dues.  He paid his dues for one reason only, he got caught.  If he did not get caught, he probably would be strangling dogs to this day.

I own a business and I would never want and hire someone who is cruel enough to strangle a dog in my office, even if he paid his dues.  I would suggest the guy to work at 7 eleven, not to be a face of my business.

The guy would be a distraction.  He is still getting protesters to this day, thousands just a month ago.  People want this for our games and locker room?

He is not the kind of role model I would like to be around Geno.  I do not care to have Geno's big lesson to learn from Vick to be: " Be careful, Don't get caught"

Archived