Jets all over Vick

F.Chowds

I don't think many of the people declaring they are done with the Jets (I realize you didn't) are done with restaurants that serve meat.

That's a fairly broad generality. It's 2014, we have places serve meat and grocers who sell meat that kill animals humanely. Big difference between breeding cows and chickens for food and killing them humanely and hanging a dog by it's legs and torturing it with a cattle prod, or burning the skin off of an animal's face. Are there companies like Tyson and Yum! that do horrible things to animals? Sure, absolutely. That those companies exist and do what they do certainly doesn't make it excusable for any person to do whatever one wants to do to animals at any given time.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I respect that.  You walk the walk.

But I think you're in the minority.

While I understand the point you're making, I think that a large majority of it has to do with the fact that the meat industry is not performing their actions out of a sense of sadistic pleasure or for sport. That's probably where the biggest backlash is from.  If he were butchering the meat and actually eating it out of some sort of cultural heritage, I doubt as many people would care. I'll still root for him, but I'll feel dirty doing so.

While I understand the point you're making, I think that a large majority of it has to do with the fact that the meat industry is not performing their actions out of a sense of sadistic pleasure or for sport.

Sadistic pleasure? In most cases no. Sadistic negligence? Definitely. Learning how companies like Tyson slaughter their animals turned me into a vegetarian for a solid year.

That's a fairly broad generality. It's 2014, we have places serve meat and grocers who sell meat that kill animals humanely. Big difference between breeding cows and chickens for food and killing them humanely and hanging a dog by it's legs and torturing it with a cattle prod, or burning the skin off of an animal's face. Are there companies like Tyson and Yum! that do horrible things to animals? Sure, absolutely. That those companies exist and do what they do certainly doesn't make it excusable for any person to do whatever one wants to do to animals at any given time.

I never heard that Vick specifically engaged in the the torturing of the dogs.  My understanding is he was more of a figurehead - which in and of itself is still despicable.

If it's true that he "burned off dogs faces" I might feel a little differently..  I'll give you that.

No one is saying that it's ok to do whatever they want to animals..  I've just never heard a good reason why it's ok to slaughter and consume the ones that taste good, or worse yet go sit in the woods with camo on and shoot them for cheap thrills.

I never heard that Vick specifically engaged in the the torturing of the dogs.  My understanding is he was more of a figurehead - which in and of itself is still despicable.

If it's true that he "burned off a dogs faces" I might feel a little differently..  I'll give you that.

No one is saying that it's ok to do whatever they want to animals..  I've just never heard a good reason why it's ok to slaughter and consume the ones that taste good, or worse yet go sit in the woods with camo on and shoot them for cheap thrills.

someone testified at his trial that he strangled a dog with his own hands

While I understand the point you're making, I think that a large majority of it has to do with the fact that the meat industry is not performing their actions out of a sense of sadistic pleasure or for sport. That's probably where the biggest backlash is from.  If he were butchering the meat and actually eating it out of some sort of cultural heritage, I doubt as many people would care. I'll still root for him, but I'll feel dirty doing so.

I'm not saying your point is totally invalid but Dicks does have an entire section of their stores dedicated to products used by those who get sadistic pleasure out of killing animals.

I never heard that Vick specifically engaged in the the torturing of the dogs. My understanding is he was more of a figurehead - which in and of itself is still despicable.

If it's true that he "burned off a dogs faces" I might feel a little differently.. I'll give you that.

No one is saying that it's ok to do whatever they want to animals.. I've just never heard a good reason why it's ok to slaughter and consume the ones that taste good, or worse yet go sit in the woods with camo on and shoot them for cheap thrills.

These are just not good comparisons, Pac. Vick, at the very least, funded a dog-fighting program run by his garbage thug Va Beach scumbag friends. Regardless of his level of active participation, he ****ed up huge. That said, it's been a long time, he's gone to jail, there hasn't been a single indication that he's lacked contrition or has been a bad citizen since that time. If people want to hate him because of what his homies (and, maybe, he) did to dogs, that's their right.

These are just not good comparisons, Pac. Vick, at the very least, funded a dog-fighting program run by his garbage thug Va Beach scumbag friends. Regardless of his level of active participation, he ****ed up huge. That said, it's been a long time, he's gone to jail, there hasn't been a single indication that he's lacked contrition or has been a bad citizen since that time. If people want to hate him because of what his homies (and, maybe, he) did to dogs, that's their right.

I'm not saying they're wrong.  I'm genuinely just trying to understand it.

But what if he ends up playing for the Jets? Doesn't that immediately absolve him of all wrongdoing?

Didn't you just try to chastise me of judging others? When in fact I hadn't done so at all?

Hypocrite.

Anyway, I rooted for us to lose games this whole season. I wanted a higher draft pick. At least I'm willing to admit it.

what i was trying to say (if perhaps inarticulately) was everyone agrees that vick is a POS--by acting morally superior because we don't take it one step further and stop rooting for the jets is ridiculous.

oh no not hypocrite--the number one most meaningless insult of all time. a synonym for parent is "hypocrite," it means you grew up.

The report also states in mid-April of 2007, Vick, Peace and Phillips hung approximately three dogs who did not perform well in a "rolling session," which indicates the readiness of a dog to fight. According to the report, the three men hung the dogs "by placing a nylon cord over a 2 X 4 that was nailed to two trees located next to the big shed. They also drowned approximately three dogs by putting the dogs' heads in a five gallon bucket of water."

Vick initially told authorities "while he assisted Phillips and Peace in the killing of the dogs, he did not actually kill the dogs," but "helped Phillips toss several dogs to the side," according to the report.

However, the report says Vick took back that statement when he failed a polygraph test. "Vick failed the examination as it related to the killing of the dogs in April 2007. Ultimately, Vick recanted his previous statement wherein he said he was not actually involved in the killing of six to eight dogs. ... Vick admitted taking part in the actual hanging of the dogs."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3718304

I realize we're dealing with a high degree of discretion with something like this, but I personally do not feel that sh*t like that is remotely on the same level as putting a deer down with one shot, or humanely slaughtering a cow to feed people.

Sadistic pleasure? In most cases no. Sadistic negligence? Definitely. Learning how companies like Tyson slaughter their animals turned me into a vegetarian for a solid year.

While I think it's terribly inhumane what companies like Tyson do, I personally do not have the luxury to afford free-ranged chicken, beef, eggs or other animal products. This certainly is a goal of mine to change when I have the means to do so, but it's just not feasible for me at the moment.

However, the thing that I don't like to see is when some, and I'm 100% certainly not saying you are one, sit on a throne of judgement and condemn others for their eating habits or supporting someone like Vick and then turn a blind eye to the practice of other companies because losing their products wouldn't fit with their lifestyle. Almost every single person that I've met who lectures others on animal rights/Vick utilizes a cell-phone or computer, but how many of them recognize that the minerals used for said products, are being mined in the Congo and creating one of the bloodiest civil wars that Africa has ever seen?

Now, I'm not trying to compare humans to animals, dog fights to slave mining, or Vick to Mobutu, just that you're going to find someone who morally objects to what you're doing regardless. So as much as I dislike Vick as a person and will feel dirty cheering for him, I can't pretend that I'm some morally superior person just by not rooting for my team any more.

Edit: Before this turns into an ordeal, I'm just pointing out that even though I despise Vick and would hate to cheer for him, I realize that I don't have any moral authority to tell other they're wrong for doing so, seeing as how I do still eat at restaurants that buy from Purdue and don't check how my cell-phone was create.  Not that anyone on here was doing that to anyone else, that was just my thought process while typing

It's not. Pac just sucks at this game. 

Oh give me a break.  I respect his opinion but I disagree.

I don't think there's that much of a gap between hanging a dog or hanging a lamb and jabbing it in the neck with a spike.  A deer suffers longer than both as if you're not a good shot, which I'd imagine most aren't, then the deer gets to die a slow, agonizing death... while the hero hunter follows its blood trail to claim his prize.

While I think it's terribly inhumane what companies like Tyson do, I personally do not have the luxury to afford free-ranged chicken, beef, eggs or other animal products. This certainly is a goal of mine to change when I have the means to do so, but it's just not feasible for me at the moment.

However, the thing that I don't like to see is when some, and I'm 100% certainly not saying you are one, sit on a throne of judgement and condemn others for their eating habits or supporting someone like Vick and then turn a blind eye to the practice of other companies because losing their products wouldn't fit with their lifestyle. Almost every single person that I've met who lectures others on animal rights/Vick utilizes a cell-phone or computer, but how many of them recognize that the minerals used for said products, are being mined in the Congo and creating one of the bloodiest civil wars that Africa has ever seen?

Now, I'm not trying to compare humans to animals, dog fights to slave mining, or Vick to Mobutu, just that you're going to find someone who morally objects to what you're doing regardless. So as much as I dislike Vick as a person and will feel dirty cheering for him, I can't pretend that I'm some morally superior person just by not rooting for my team any more.

People can eat what they want, not my place to judge. The best thing anyone can do is read up on how the industry works and try to find what works for you. It's actually not hard to make it work financially once you figure out how local markets, online retailers, and certified humane products work. For me personally it wound up being a win/win situation because I felt comfortable eating animals again and I had a ton more energy simply from eating cleaner products. Doesn't mean I'm flawless and probably don't eat something that went through a lot of pain when I'm out and about, but I do what I can.

P.S. The free-range label is bullsh*t.

I don't think there's that much of a gap between hanging a dog or hanging a lamb and jabbing it in the neck with a spike.  A deer suffers longer than both as if you're not a good shot, which I'd imagine most aren't, then the deer gets to die a slow, agonizing death... while the hero hunter follows its blood trail to claim his prize.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, a dude who tortures a deer and doesn't put it down right away is a jackoff also.

You really compare hunting and raising cattle for food with torturing and beating dogs and training them to fight?

You're sick. 

People can eat what they want, not my place to judge. The best thing anyone can do is read up on how the industry works and try to find what works for you. It's actually not hard to make it work financially once you figure out how local markets, online retailers, and certified humane products work. For me personally it wound up being a win/win situation because I felt comfortable eating animals again and I had a ton more energy simply from eating cleaner products.

P.S. The free-range label is bullsh*t.

not saying free range is bad but there is no way you could feed the entire planet with these techniques. there is enough to go around to keep all the yuppies well-fed but much of the world is more concerned with finding any food, period.

not saying free range is bad but there is no way you could feed the entire planet with these techniques.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. History played out the way it did and we've become dependent on factory farming, but that system didn't just magically fall out of the sky. It happened deliberately and in a particular sequence that had nothing to do with nature. I have absolutely no clue whether we're too far along to change things, but there's been a surge in first world countries in awareness and action very recently, which is a start.

You really compare hunting and raising cattle for food with torturing and beating dogs and training them to fight?

You're sick. 

Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing.  If I do 10 hail marys will you forgive me?

I don't know if that's necessarily true. History played out the way it did and we've become dependent on factory farming, but that system didn't just magically fall out of the sky. It happened deliberately and in a particular sequence that had nothing to do with nature. I have absolutely no clue whether we're too far along to change things, but there's been a surge in first world countries in awareness and action very recently, which is a start.

we're dependant on it because there are 7 BILLION of us running around, and there still isn't enough.

Archived