Jets all over Vick

F.Chowds

Not that I agree with what Vick did... But can you please logically differentiate it for me from eating a cheeseburger?

The simplest answer is: some people need to kill animals to eat (even though in an idealistic sense, they don't), but NO people need to kill animals for fun

I'm not here to split hairs over how vegan you have to be in order to not sound full of sh*t for not wanting Vick on the team. I love dogs. I love animals. These days, I have a minimal amount of humanely raised meat protein in my diet, it's the best I can do, given my concerns about not knowing how to appropriately supplement my diet with the nutrients you get from meat. 

At the end of the day, I'll go back to what I said initially. Vick becoming a Jet is an embarrassment if it happens.

Why?

Vick turns the ball over as much as Sanchez, Geno, Favre and the Pennington/Clemens combo have for us each of the past what ... 8 seasons? This team needs a QB that doesn't lose games with turnovers. That is the OPPOSITE of Mike Vick. This would be SOJ by making believe they solved the perpetual issues of not having a QB, by repeating the same mistakes that have lead to us not having a QB.

Vick happens to also come with the baggage of being hated by a huge contingency of fans, for being a sociopath who killed dogs for fun. That sh*t makes me sick, but as far as how it effects this team... it brings debate, polarization and a sideshow... just like Tebow did. 

I've really got nothing else to add relative to the eating meat vs. killing dogs side of this. It's irrelevant to what concerns me. Signing Vick would be a circus act... and embarrassment. I'll leave it at that, because most of this thread has become absurd anyway.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL.  Go to an actual slaughterhouse and not the marketing version where happy cows live wonderful lives and then are humanely euthanized.

The distinction isn't all that different.  Pac's point about the "cute ones" is spot on. 

Never said anything of the sort in this thread, and certainly never made a point painting factory farmed slaughterhouses in that light. The post you quoted literally said the exact opposite.

You really compare hunting and raising cattle for food with torturing and beating dogs and training them to fight?

You're sick. 

Dead lives either way.

In the end, don't care to defend Vick, he's a monster... just think the outrage is a tad hypocritical, considering how we all subjugate animals and other people on a moment to moment basis.  That, and we still cheer for plenty of drunk drivers, drug dealers, murderers, and rapists...

FWIW, as far as "feeding people" we could end world hunger tomorrow if we stopped breeding 'meat,' and used all the grain we feed the animals to feed cows.

Meat is a luxury and nothing more.

or

the leaders of the poorest countries could just stop stealing the aid we are already sending

If Woody loses ECurb, he loses the war.

I can see the humor but we actually did talk about it and we will not support the Jets if Vick is a part of the team. Our dog is a pit mix from a rescue my Mom runs. That should be enough explanation.

I'm sure even the animals would say the method of killing isn't the issue, it's spending what they do have of a life in miserable conditions that's the issue

heck, they de-beak chicks so they don't peck each other to death

that can't be a nice way to spend your 6 weeks on earth

The moment you turn on your computer to make a post about your outrage, you are doing so with technology that began it's life by being mined for by slaves.

Outrage is so fun.

LOL

Yep

Can't help but wonder how many outraged people have bought their ladies blood diamonds in the last 20 years or so.

I can see the humor but we actually did talk about it and we will not support the Jets if Vick is a part of the team. Our dog is a pit mix from a rescue my Mom runs. That should be enough explanation.

I was being serious. You're the archetype of the customer that Johnson simply can not afford to alienate.

I'm sure even the animals would say the method of killing isn't the issue, it's spending what they do have of a life in miserable conditions that's the issue

It's a combination of both for sure. I think if a wizard granted a broiler chicken the ability to speak, they would certainly voice their displeasure with the extraordinarily lengthy process that they're put through during slaughter.

I also imagine that this chicken would have a British accent.

It's a combination of both for sure. I think if a wizard granted a broiler chicken the ability to speak, they would certainly voice their displeasure with the extraordinarily lengthy process that they're put through during slaughter.

I would also imagine that this chicken would have a British accent.

The very thought of this sermonizing chicken terrifies me.

I would also imagine that this chicken would have a British accent.

lol

while the chickens have it pretty bad, veal is so bizarre it's like a bad science fiction short story

It would be pretty hilarious if the wizard turned his body into a rubber chicken too. So now you've got this talking rubber chicken yelling at everyone in a British accent to stop strapping him into the electricity bath. And then of course he realizes that since he's now rubber, he can't be electrocuted, so he starts gloating.

The simplest answer is: some people need to kill animals to eat (even though in an idealistic sense, they don't), but NO people need to kill animals for fun

I'm not here to split hairs over how vegan you have to be in order to not sound full of sh*t for not wanting Vick on the team. I love dogs. I love animals. These days, I have a minimal amount of humanely raised meat protein in my diet, it's the best I can do, given my concerns about not knowing how to appropriately supplement my diet with the nutrients you get from meat. 

At the end of the day, I'll go back to what I said initially. Vick becoming a Jet is an embarrassment if it happens.

Why?

Vick turns the ball over as much as Sanchez, Geno, Favre and the Pennington/Clemens combo have for us each of the past what ... 8 seasons? This team needs a QB that doesn't lose games with turnovers. That is the OPPOSITE of Mike Vick. This would be SOJ by making believe they solved the perpetual issues of not having a QB, by repeating the same mistakes that have lead to us not having a QB.

Vick happens to also come with the baggage of being hated by a huge contingency of fans, for being a sociopath who killed dogs for fun. That sh*t makes me sick, but as far as how it effects this team... it brings debate, polarization and a sideshow... just like Tebow did. 

I've really got nothing else to add relative to the eating meat vs. killing dogs side of this. It's irrelevant to what concerns me. Signing Vick would be a circus act... and embarrassment. I'll leave it at that, because most of this thread has become absurd anyway.

This is all fine.  I disagree about the NEED to kill animals to eat, but you even acknowledge that.

I just think it's silly to make killing animals the distinction of immorality and the line where we can't support the team or their decision.  Considering pro sports is filled with all kinds of other awful criminals, including and perhaps especially rapists.

Argue against him the ball player all you want.  I'm good with that.  My hope is that if we do bring him in, Geno still starts.  Not ready to give up on him yet.

Like I said earlier, at not point did I act or say I'm morally superior to anyone. If that is what you are picking up, then you are potentially projecting your own issues or grudges onto me. If that's what you are going to run with, you should at least know enough not to weigh in with a character judgement about me in every response. 

Simply put, the Jets adding Vick would be an embarrassment, to me. I don't care what you think of it, just as I understand most people don't care what I think.

Seem to care enough to respond over and over

If you're arguing that death is death, that's fine. However, we have farms that attempt quicker and cleaner methods even in the face of higher costs, there's a reason for that.

The reason is essential to assuage our dissonance.  It's not really all that important, again, I just think moral outrage should be consistent if it's to be used at all.

I also imagine that this chicken would have a British accent.

family-guy-chicken-gif.gif

The reason is essential to assuage our dissonance.  It's not really all that important, again, I just think moral outrage should be consistent if it's to be used at all.

Who said anything about moral outrage? This has been a fairly civil discussion. Is there a particular reason you're being so pithy?

It would be pretty hilarious if the wizard turned his body into a rubber chicken too. So now you've got this talking rubber chicken yelling at everyone in a British accent to stop strapping him into the electricity bath. And then of course he realizes that since he's now rubber, he can't be electrocuted, so he starts gloating.

Are you ok?

LOL

Yep

Can't help but wonder how many outraged people have bought their ladies blood diamonds in the last 20 years or so.

I'm sure I did... twice when you consider for the wedding she "needs" an eternity band.

Where's that smiley that shoots himself in the face?

Who said anything about moral outrage? This has been a fairly civil discussion. Is there a particular reason you're being so pithy?

No question the discussion has been civil, but "If the Jets sign Vick I quit the team" surely falls under "moral outrage," no?

This is all fine. I disagree about the NEED to kill animals to eat, but you even acknowledge that.

I just think it's silly to make killing animals the distinction of immorality and the line where we can't support the team or their decision. Considering pro sports is filled with all kinds of other awful criminals, including and perhaps especially rapists.

Argue against him the ball player all you want. I'm good with that. My hope is that if we do bring him in, Geno still starts. Not ready to give up on him yet.

I made all aspects both football and social, which I pointed out, of Mike Vick the reason is be embarrassed of this team. I never said I'd abandon them. I said I'd root for failure, so we can maybe fix the problems the right way.

No question the discussion has been civil, but "If the Jets sign Vick I quit the team" surely falls under "moral outrage," no?

Meh, not really my place to judge. If someone isn't comfortable being told they have to accept what he did just because he went to prison, that's fine, I get it. Doesn't mean that if that's their stance, they're required to justify why they're apathetic towards 25 cent wing night.

Meh, not really my place to judge. If someone isn't comfortable being told they have to accept what he did just because he went to prison, that's fine, I get it. Doesn't mean that if that's their stance, they're required to justify why they're apathetic towards 25 cent wing night.

I just think it's ironic and amusing that some lives are considered food and some aren't.

I'm trying to understand why certain forms of animal torture are socially acceptable, even encouraged, while others set off a firestorm.

But I didn't expect to get the answers I was looking for.  There's really not an easy answer.

No idiot, there is no form of torture that is acceptable. People may choose to be willfully ignorant to the inhumane treatment animals receive on factory farms, but understood that the ultimate purpose is feeding humans which makes it a lot more palatable for most.

What Vick did had no purpose other then sick entertainment, and I'm certain there'd be an outcry if anyone was sadistically torturing cows with no purpose in mind other then the act of doing it. In fact, I've seen people react to hidden videos of animal torture in these factories and the reaction if near universal repulsion.

You think you are making a point with this nonsense about people only caring because dogs are cute, but you are not

Archived