Decker meeting with the Jets

Joe Jets fan

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What FA did we miss out on that would "vastly" improve our team?  If we pull a Cleveland and sign Dansby and Whitner, are we suddenly a contender?  Hell no.

no, i was mocking people acting like the sky is falling if we "overpay" for decker. the alternative might be much worse.

The devil lies in the details. We just got rid of one overpaid WR and if we just replace him with another overpaid receiver not sure if it helps us become that much better.

yeah you're right. don't let the market push you around idzik! if you think a price is too high you can always find next years david nelson and feel great about not overpaying.

Decker is WAY overrated but I think Idzik will sign him to a ridiculously over priced contract. Yeah, just what Geno needs, a slow white boy to throw to while he is busy getting sacked since he has no RG or RT. I am seriously reconsidering what I think about John Idzik. He does NOT have a feel for pro personnel. The Jets are back to full f@ck up mode and I am in full midseason pissed off mode.

"Slow white boy" that put up 612 yards and 8 touchdowns in his 2nd year with Orton and Tebow throwing to him. Then put up consecutive 1,000 yard seasons with Manning.

Yeah, he sucks. Anyone can do that.

What FA did we miss out on that would "vastly" improve our team?  If we pull a Cleveland and sign Dansby and Whitner, are we suddenly a contender?  Hell no.

I'm disappointed that Verner and Davis both got away.

yeah you're right. don't let the market push you around idzik! if you think a price is too high you can always find next years david nelson and feel great about not overpaying.

Decker is not a difference maker. If you overpay to sign a difference maker it might be another story.

Heck if David Nelson had Peyton throwing to him he might be putting up similar numbers as Decker.

Decker is not a difference maker. If you overpay to sign a difference maker it might be another story.

Heck if David Nelson had Peyton throwing to him he might be putting up similar numbers as Decker.

I think you need to define difference maker. Jeremy Kerley last year, was a "difference maker".

I'm disappointed that Verner and Davis both got away.

This is mostly it for me. Rex is going to get his CB fix somehow, I'd much prefer he just invested money and cap space into it instead of taking another corner early in the draft in lieu of other positions. This draft is deep at so many need areas for us, that for once I just hope they try to upgrade our skill positions on offense.

Well again, look at his college career... productive. Look at his 2nd year when he finally got playing time: 612 yards, 8 TDs. It was Orton and Tebow throwing to him that year. Again, productive. Peyton Manning for 2 years: 1,000 yard seasons each. Productive. Besides his rookie year where he didn't get much playing time, there's never really been a time when he wasn't productive.

I don't think all of that production (college, Orton/Tebow) goes out the window just because of those 2 years with Manning. How about this. Let's assume that Decker really is a good WR. What would he have had to do with Peyton Manning to prove that to you?

He's basically a #2 receiver that can line up on the outside. That's cool. We need one of those.

Eric Decker worries me. He's a product of Manning and will be Santonio Holmes V2.0 without the constant bickering, thats about it. He's going to ask for #1 type money and will give us production of a #3 WR with our QB situation.

Well again, look at his college career... productive. Look at his 2nd year when he finally got playing time: 612 yards, 8 TDs. It was Orton and Tebow throwing to him that year. Again, productive. Peyton Manning for 2 years: 1,000 yard seasons each. Productive. Besides his rookie year where he didn't get much playing time, there's never really been a time when he wasn't productive.

I don't think all of that production (college, Orton/Tebow) goes out the window just because of those 2 years with Manning. How about this. Let's assume that Decker really is a good WR. What would he have had to do with Peyton Manning to prove that to you?

He's basically a #2 receiver that can line up on the outside. That's cool. We need one of those.

That's the issue. He's a #2 but will command #1s money. If we can get him for $7mil per, that would be about what his market should be. I doubt he takes that unless its like 75% guaranteed, or 5 yrs 35 mil, 25 mil guaranteed.

Decker is WAY overrated but I think Idzik will sign him to a ridiculously over priced contract. Yeah, just what Geno needs, a slow white boy to throw to while he is busy getting sacked since he has no RG or RT. I am seriously reconsidering what I think about John Idzik. He does NOT have a feel for pro personnel. The Jets are back to full f@ck up mode and I am in full midseason pissed off mode.

More like "full retard mode".  It's been one day.  One ******* day.  Pure idiocy on this site this time of year.

That's the issue. He's a #2 but will command #1s money. If we can get him for $7mil per, that would be about what his market should be. I doubt he takes that unless its like 75% guaranteed, or 5 yrs 35 mil, 25 mil guaranteed.

I don't know where this idea comes from that he will demand #1 money. Of course any receiver will want #1 money, that's all of them, not just him. But what reason do we have to think that he expects to be paid as a #1 and won't settle for less than that? Just media reports? Fan speculation? So what?

Look, if you want a healthy, young and proven receiver, there aren't that many out there. Decker, Tate, Sanders. Who else?

Tate is already in Detroit, he might get signed today. If the Jets let Decker walk, that means someone else will sign him. That leaves us with Sanders or bust. If we fail on Sanders, we're bringing in risky guys like Nicks, Britt, etc. Now maybe you're happy with a guy like Nicks. I might be too, IF we had done something else in free agency. But considering that we haven't done anything else, give me the young, healthy, productive receiver over the higher upside but far riskier guy in Nicks.

number one, a "difference maker" is one who makes a difference on the team in question, not in some hypothetical situation. decker would absolutely make a sizeable "difference" on the Jets' offense. some of that is due to him, and some of that is due to the fact that there is no direction but up possible for our WR corps.

number two, i would love to hear more about how david nelson would put up similar numbers as decker with manning throwing to him. i will point out that decker's production the last two years with manning compares very favorable to the numbers put up by reggie wayne when he played with manning opposite to marvin harrison. and wayne has done just fine as a #1 since, including nearly 1,000 yards with curtis painter under center and harrison long since retired.

number one, a "difference maker" is one who makes a difference on the team in question, not in some hypothetical situation. decker would absolutely make a sizeable "difference" on the Jets' offense. some of that is due to him, and some of that is due to the fact that there is no direction but up possible for our WR corps.

number two, i would love to hear more about how david nelson would put up similar numbers as decker with manning throwing to him. i will point out that decker's production the last two years with manning compares very favorable to the numbers put up by reggie wayne when he played with manning opposite to marvin harrison. and wayne has done just fine as a #1 since.

Agreed. Why doesn't anyone else see this? Is it because of the "slow white boy" stereotype?

Hey idiots, remember when you said the same thing about Danny Woodhead? Rather have him or Joe McKnight now? Him or Mike Goodson?

Eric Decker worries me. He's a product of Manning and will be Santonio Holmes V2.0 without the constant bickering, thats about it. He's going to ask for #1 type money and will give us production of a #3 WR with our QB situation.

decker would do fine in ny, he had 8 tds w/ kyle orton and tim tebow..

he's a hall of famer compared to what we have.

I have an opposite view.  With all due respect to Peyton's prodigious football brain, he has lost the zip on his passes.  In my opinion guys had to be more open to receive his passes.  Yes he has great vision and great football instincts, but his arm is not what it was.  They have a good system and an expert running it.  Anytime you have a QB with average arm strength (or even a little less), your receivers have to do a better job.  So maybe Decker is more than we think?  He certainly has YAC ability. 

I don't know where this idea comes from that he will demand #1 money. Of course any receiver will want #1 money, that's all of them, not just him. But what reason do we have to think that he expects to be paid as a #1 and won't settle for less than that? Just media reports? Fan speculation? So what?

Look, if you want a healthy, young and proven receiver, there aren't that many out there. Decker, Tate, Sanders. Who else?

Tate is already in Detroit, he might get signed today. If the Jets let Decker walk, that means someone else will sign him. That leaves us with Sanders or bust. If we fail on Sanders, we're bringing in risky guys like Nicks, Britt, etc. Now maybe you're happy with a guy like Nicks. I might be too, IF we had done something else in free agency. But considering that we haven't done anything else, give me the young, healthy, productive receiver over the higher upside but far riskier guy in Nicks.

Decker is a long term commitment. I don't want anything to do with Sanders or Tate. They are #3 WRs. I like Nicks because it will be a one year rental with a small budget, but great upside if healthy. Is he better than Decker? Maybe, maybe not, but we wouldn't be committed to him for 5 years like Decker.

Decker must be slow.  He is big and white.  Let's not judge him on how fast he ran which is basically identical to Dez Bryant, Jordan Shipley, Riley Cooper and Brandon LaFell. 

Based on this list, I have now determined that Dez Bryant and Brandon LaFell are slow and unathletic. The rest were givens... duh!

I honestly think the difference between Decker and Edelman on the Jets is minor in terms of how their stats will compare, and I'm not just saying this because both are white. I think Decker is a better receiver, but on this team, right now, I don't think Decker's stats would be so much better than Edelman's to warrant a much bigger contract than what we might give to a lower tier receiver like Edelman who also happens to be a good punt returner.

I have an opposite view.  With all due respect to Peyton's prodigious football brain, he has lost the zip on his passes.  In my opinion guys had to be more open to receive his passes.  Yes he has great vision and great football instincts, but his arm is not what it was.  They have a good system and an expert running it.  Anytime you have a QB with average arm strength (or even a little less), your receivers have to do a better job.  So maybe Decker is more than we think?  He certainly has YAC ability. 

This post is a joke right? I mean, you can't be serious about Manning losing a step and still being the MVP...yet again breaking all those records. If you're right, Im glad he lost step, otherwise can u imagine the chaos he would've caused? He just had his best season of his first ballot hall of fame career.

Archived