Decker meeting with the Jets

Joe Jets fan

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schefter said on NFL Live Decker is in New York and is looking for similar money to Tate. added that #Jets trying to get deal done now.

If it's similar money to Tate then that's reasonable.  Time to get this deal done.

If he's asking for $7M that's still reasonable.  If Tate money or $7M is the asking price, then there's no excuse to let him leave the building without getting a deal done. 

It's just a lot of money for a team that won't be able to do anything with him.

I'd like every signing to be a great value, but the bottom line is that if youre unwilling to outbid other teams for the top free agents, you're gonna lose out on them. Are the Jets better off with Decker or another $8M in cap space?

I didn't expect the Jets to pursue Decker, and I think the only reason they are is that they missed on the CBs they intended to pay very well. Not paying Davis the roughly $10M/year they were willing to spend freed up a lot of money. One expensive piece at a position of critical need wouldn't be the worst move in the world.

Your example would be very valid for a one year deal. But if they sign Decker for a multi year deal and overpay him this has repercussions on the cap for quite a few seasons.

Archived