Eric Decker SIGNED - and other WR news as it hits

Integrity28

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know they don't. It doesn't change the fact that they should. They'd win more often. The numbers don't lie.

Except for that those numbers are based upon entirely different specialized scenarios than the ones which would exist if a team went for it on 4th down every single time and thus the opposing team and its players had advanced awareness of that reality.  It would impact the entire opposing game plan and approach, not just on 4th downs, but on all earlier downs as well.  You cannot blindly assume that the numbers would hold true under different circumstances, that's not how it works.

In an interview late Wednesday night with the Denver Post, Decker explained his thought process on picking the Jets and the unproven Smith. 
"I did research. I didn't go into our meeting today blind," he said. "When you go from a Hall-of-Fame quarterback, no one else -- no matter who it is -- can be on the same level. Talking to the offensive coordinator Marty [Mornhinweg], who has had a good track record in San Francisco and Philadelphia, he really believes in this kid. When you look at the statistics, yeah, he got off to a slow start, but he was hurt early on and he finished the season strong. He improved all season long in a tough market. That's pretty impressive."

Could be all lip service, but it certainly fits with all the interviews and everything Marty's said about Geno.  They still want to give him competition, but all signs point to the FO wanting to give him every opportunity to win this job and think he has the ability to.  

In an interview late Wednesday night with the Denver Post, Decker explained his thought process on picking the Jets and the unproven Smith. 
"I did research. I didn't go into our meeting today blind," he said. "When you go from a Hall-of-Fame quarterback, no one else -- no matter who it is -- can be on the same level. Talking to the offensive coordinator Marty [Mornhinweg], who has had a good track record in San Francisco and Philadelphia, he really believes in this kid. When you look at the statistics, yeah, he got off to a slow start, but he was hurt early on and he finished the season strong. He improved all season long in a tough market. That's pretty impressive."

Could be all lip service, but it certainly fits with all the interviews and everything Marty's said about Geno.  They still want to give him competition, but all signs point to the FO wanting to give him every opportunity to win this job and think he has the ability to.  

Idzik: "I'm telling you Eric, Geno can be vicktorious in this league. He plays with real convicktion. We believe in him and do not plan to evickt him from the position. He has grit and when he makes a mistake, he doesn't sulk and make himself out to be a vicktim. You're a smart kid. I think you understand."

The best part about this is that he isn't going to understand it at all.

I honestly couldn't care less about Howard's pass-blocking ability. No matter how much the NFL tries to make the NFL a passing league with their defenseless player rules and their pussification of the QB position ("oh, the DE almost touched you? 5000 yard penalty and 100 points"), I still believe that you win games by running the ball.

I mean, you literally only need 2.5 yards per carry. If you ran the ball every single play, chances are you would STILL get that, even if the defense stacked the box with 11 players. In my opinion, passing should only be used on 3rd and long (and you shouldn't even have a third and long). It's just a wasted play. 2/5 of the time, you waste an entire down when you could've ran it for 3-5 yards.

This should always be the go-to formation:

wedge-play.jpg

Ever heard of this?

http://www.advancednflstats.com/

keanue-reeves-mind-blown.jpg

Decker got an extra 500,000 on his contract to sell seats for next fall with that line.

>Implying we won't still start Geno for the next 5 years no matter how much he sucks, like Sanchez

LOL

If we bring in Vick, we'll tell him he'll compete to be the starter, Vick will win the competition, but Geno will still start.

They started Sanchez for 5 years?  I thought they started him for 4 and then intentionally had him killed so that they wouldn't have to suffer through any more. 

from cimini

A close look at Eric Decker's five-year, $36.25 million contract shows a fair deal for both sides. Let me explain:

Decker received $15 million in guarantees and an average per year of $7.25 million, according to ESPN data. The APY is tied for 17th in the league among receivers, according to overthecap.com -- pretty good for a player of Decker's ilk.

The deal works for the Jets because they can get out of it after two years with minimal cap damage if they decide he's not worth it. Basically, it's a two-year, $15 million contract. The cap charges balloon in the third year, which means he has two years to prove himself as a very good No. 2 receiver or a lower-tier No. 1. This is by far the largest contract general manager John Idzik has handed out to a veteran player.

The yearly breakdown:

Signing bonus: $7.5 million

Base salary: $2.5 million

Cap charge: $4.0 million

Base salary: $5.0 million (guaranteed)

Cap charge: $6.5 million

Base salary: $6.5 million

Cap charge: $8.0 million

Base salary: $7.25 million

Cap charge: $8.75 million

Base salary: $7.5 million

Cap charge: $9.0 million

Why is this Decker signing so significant? This isnt about #1 receiver jargon. Let me give you a stat that I just came across. 

Geno Smith completed 55% of his passes his rookie year. His best and most talented receiver was Jeremy Kerley. However, if you remove the numbers from the games that Kerley was out due to injury and you recalculate the percentages, Geno was a QB who completed 60% of his throws on the year.....with J.K. being his top target.

This is yet another reason why Idzik is making a smarter move than these "flash in the pan" Jet fans are giving him credit for. It isnt about #1 receivers, its about putting talent on the field for Geno Smith. Now having Decker will spread the opposing defense that much thinner. Idzik is bulding a football team and Decker is just the first piece. 

I cant wait to see what Morningwheig (I killed his name, I know. To lazy to spell check) does with the talent. 

Why is this Decker signing so significant? This isnt about #1 receiver jargon. Let me give you a stat that I just came across. 

Geno Smith completed 55% of his passes his rookie year. His best and most talented receiver was Jeremy Kerley. However, if you remove the numbers from the games that Kerley was out due to injury and you recalculate the percentages, Geno was a QB who completed 60% of his throws on the year.....with J.K. being his top target.

This is yet another reason why Idzik is making a smarter move than these "flash in the pan" Jet fans are giving him credit for. It isnt about #1 receivers, its about putting talent on the field for Geno Smith. Now having Decker will spread the opposing defense that much thinner. Idzik is bulding a football team and Decker is just the first piece. 

I cant wait to see what Morningwheig (I killed his name, I know. To lazy to spell check) does with the talent. 

Yea and wait till Idzik finally finds a QB......Super Bowl! 

It's going to be painful for you when the Jets draft Mettenberger or Garoppolo. 

Archived