Eric Decker SIGNED - and other WR news as it hits

Integrity28

Is it that hard for you to compute lawyer boy?

If we stop at Decker and are relying on him to be our #1, then this move sucks. But if we draft Marqise Lee with an eye toward him being the franchise #1, and supplement both of those guys with another solid FA like Jones, then suddenly the corps is not only NFL caliber, but somewhat dynamic.

Aren't you a little rambunctious in the morning, will have to make sure you get tummy time later.

Decker will be the number one next year no matter what we do next. So if you think he is soft, why would that opinion change? He is either soft or he is not.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is zero way, shape or form that this move sucks. The Jets had the worst WR's in the league last season and they just signed the best FA WR on the market for a bargain.

WTF is wrong with you people?

OVERPAY!!!!!!!!!

There is zero way, shape or form that this move sucks.  The Jets had the worst WR's in the league last season and they just signed the best FA WR on the market for a bargain.

Dude I am usually waving the banner about moves the Jets make.  95% of the time I'm very content. 

I just think Decker is overrated.  Period.

Like I said, it's not really an overpay.  The thing that's keeping me far away from the ledge on this one is the money.  Low guarantee and (eh) decent AAV.  We could have done much worse.

Which WR that was available did you prefer?

Dude I am usually waving the banner about moves the Jets make.  95% of the time I'm very content. 

I just think Decker is overrated.  Period.

Fine, you think he's overrated.  I think if you have the worst WR core in the league and you add a player thats gone for over 1,000 yards and 10 TD's in back to back seasons...overrated or not, its a good thing for a team desperate for WR's.

This isnt a trade.  The Jets done lose anything for signing FA's, other than money they have to spend. 

Totally agree, and am very happy with the deal. Just amused because as I said early on, Jets were either going to suck for letting him get away or suck for overpaying him. Just like they suck because the CB from the Bucs is now on the Pats.

Remember that time the Pack ****ed up and let Favre go to the Vikings and got nothing in return? 

It'd be great to have a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, but those guys have something in common... No championships. Just like most of the big name WRs in the league today and recently. I may be forgetting someone, but I think the best WR with a ring in recent history is Reggie Wayne.

Harrison was better.  James Jones?

JGB and i are part of the undistinguished frat ;)

Yay us. 

MJD is MJDone. You posting 1,000 times you want him won't make it so. He offers nothing more than what we already have in Powell and Ivory. Period.

I agree with this. MJD is not a pass catching threat. He will cost big bucks. Money better spent elsewhere like the OL. We were 6th in rushing behind a half azz line.  Powell is young and coming into his own. Ivory will run stronger behind a better line. Say no to MJD.  

Like I said, it's not really an overpay. The thing that's keeping me far away from the ledge on this one is the money. Low guarantee and (eh) decent AAV. We could have done much worse.

Bro he can't be both overrated and not overpaid. Are we paying him what he is worth? Than we are not overrating him.

Bro he can't be both overrated and not overpaid. Are we paying him what he is worth? Than we are not overrating him.

IS THIS A LOGIC GAME??? AHHHHH

I think Decker is overrated by fans.  His big numbers were a product of playing in the offense he played in.

But, given 1) some of the contracts that we've seen fly around so far this FA, 2) our cap room, and 3) what we were just paying Santonio Holmes.... I don't think this contract is that bad.    

There is zero way, shape or form that this move sucks.  The Jets had the worst WR's in the league last season and they just signed the best FA WR on the market for a bargain.

Nope. I'd much rather have kept trotting out street free agents each week instead of fielding a legit NFL WR. We're like a starving homeless person turning down steak if it's not filet mignon. My god.

I agree with this. MJD is not a pass catching threat. He will cost big bucks. Money better spent elsewhere like the OL. We were 6th in rushing behind a half azz line.  Powell is young and coming into his own. Ivory will run stronger behind a better line. Say no to MJD.  

he's had 40 catches a year every year of his career except twice: one year he caught 38, and the other he only played 6 games. he is more than good enough to catch passes out of the backfield.

None, really.  That's the counter argument.  I think if Nicks is healthy he's head and shoulders above Decker, but that's a different story.

Again, if we keep building the position and don't stop here, I'm fine with the move.

This makes zero sense...but they're rumored to be targeting James Jones too.  Does that make you happy?:

IS THIS A LOGIC GAME??? AHHHHH

I think Decker is overrated by fans.  His big numbers were a product of playing in the offense he played in.

But, given 1) some of the contracts that we've seen fly around so far this FA, 2) our cap room, and 3) what we were just paying Santonio Holmes.... I don't think this contract is that bad.    

so he is both overrated and fairly rated. got it.

He's not?  He's caught over 40 passes almost every single year of his career.

I dont want MJD either but thats not an accurate assessment.  He can catch.

Th bigger story is that Idzik was able to sell the unsaleable to a receiver with other options.

Idzik: Hey Deck, join us. Although our QB sucks and you wont be catching more than 1 or 2 balls a game, I can STILL pay you 7 million a year. We did have Joe Namath on this team once.

Deck: 7 million huh, uhhhhhh (Deck's wife... "take the money you idiot")  uhhhh uhhh can I catch at least 3 balls a game? 

Idzik: Sure sure maybe.

Deck: Uhhh Uhhhh ok what the hell

Nope. I'd much rather have kept trotting out street free agents each week instead of fielding a legit NFL WR. We're like a starving homeless person turning down steak if it's not filet mignon. My god.

Nelson, Hill, Gates, Kerley.  FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idzik: Hey Deck, join us. Although our QB sucks and you wont be catching more than 1 or 2 balls a game, I can STILL pay you 7 million a year. We did have Joe Namath on this team once.

Deck: 7 million huh, uhhhhhh (Deck's wife... "take the money you idiot")  uhhhh uhhh can I catch at least 3 balls a game? 

Idzik: Sure sure maybe.

Deck: Uhhh Uhhhh ok what the hell

Fail

he's had 40 catches a year every year of his career except twice: one year he caught 38, and the other he only played 6 games. he is more than good enough to catch passes out of the backfield.ok you got me

ok you got me.....but he's so short.  And wouldn't he cost a fortune.

JGB and i are part of the undistinguished frat ;)

Did someone say lawyer boy? I am also from that frat as well...

As far as Decker goes, when the cupboard is bare and you sign the consensus best available FA WR for less than what people thought he could get (8-9MM is what the talk was) then you applaud Idzik's approach. He did not panic and we have upgraded the WR corp. Now we need another WR (hopefully Jones) and possibly another TE. I can see the Jets getting a WR though the draft in round 1 or 2 and getting the TE in round 1 or 2.  

Would a combo of Jones in FA and Ebron (TE) in the draft look good for Idzik or maybe Marquis Lee in rd 1 of the draft and Amaro (TE) in round 2 look better.

Either way, whoever ends up being the QB (Geno or some other FA QB), they will have way better offensive tools than last year's mish mosh of mediocre tools.

LL

Decker + 1 WR in FA means we don't have to feel obligated to reach on a WR in the first round when this is a deep WR class. If we do happen to go WR in round 1, it means for one time in I don't know how long we wouldn't be forced to play a draft pick right away, regardless if they are ready, because we have no depth or other options. It gives us flexibility to actually go BPA, which means I won't want to necessarily gouge my eyes out if they go corner again.

As far as Decker goes, when the cupboard is bare and you sign the consensus best available FA WR for less than what people thought he could get (8-9MM is what the talk was) then you applaud Idzik's approach. He did not panic and we have upgraded the WR corp. Now we need another WR (hopefully Jones) and possibly another TE. I can see the Jets getting a WR though the draft in round 1 or 2 and getting the TE in round 1 or 2.  

Would a combo of Jones in FA and Ebron (TE) in the draft look good for Idzik or maybe Marquis Lee in rd 1 of the draft and Amaro (TE) in round 2 look better.

Either way, whoever ends up being the QB (Geno or some other FA QB), they will have way better offensive tools than last year's mish mosh of mediocre tools.

LL

good post lawyer boy

LL

decker is a stellar pickup and is going to be a fan favorite almost from the beginning (especially after his wife goes on the jumbotron a few times

good post lawyer boy

Thx. I haven't been on the site much as I have been kinda following the FA madness but I can see that Jet fans were panicking as the day progressed yesterday. I like Idzik, I honestly think he takes a very careful and thoughtful approach to the longterm health of the team.  

As far as Decker goes, we replace Santonio with Decker. Holmes was a nightmare for the team, he was a clubhouse cancer....we can only hope that Decker will be a leader of men and that they place his wife on the Jumbotron many many times.

Archived