The proper perspective on Revis

Integrity28

Darrelle Revis' "one-year," $12 million contract with the Patriots includes a club option for a second year.

USA Today's Tom Pelissero reports the Patriots would have to pay Revis a $12 million roster bonus on April 1 of 2015, before a $7.5 million base salary plus $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses in order to keep him for a second season. Rather than exercise the option, New England would likely negotiate a long-term deal with Revis if he meets their standards of on- and off-field performance in 2014. But it's clear this could be more than a one-year marriage.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here it is in better light:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Revis gets $12 million this year, $20 million or free agency next year
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 13, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
x3505-e1371836489288.jpg?w=200AP

As it turns out, Darrelle Revis’s contract with the Patriots isn’t actually a one-year, $12 million deal. It’s actually a two-year, $32 million deal. But the second year will probably be voided.

Revis gets a $10 million signing bonus, a $1.5 million base salary and $33,333.33 for the first 15 games he’s active for in 2014. So assuming he plays at least 15 games, Revis gets $12 million.

Then the Patriots have the option to pick up the second year of Revis’s contract and pay him a $12 million roster bonus on April 1, 2015, plus a $7.5 million base salary and the same $33,333.33 for the first 15 games he’s active for in 2015. That would total $20 million for the 2015 season.

Realistically, it’s almost impossible to believe the Patriots would pick up that option. Even for a player as great as Revis, that $20 million is too much. After all, the Bucs couldn’t find any team even willing to give up a seventh-round draft pick to acquire Revis under his old contract, and that’s because no team wanted to pay Revis the $16 million a year that his old contract paid him.

So Revis will almost certainly hit free agency again next year, and because there’s a second year on the deal the Patriots can’t use the franchise tag on Revis. They have to either pay him the $20 million next year or cut him.

One thing that helps the Patriots, as Albert Breer of NFL Network pointed out, is that the two-year structure of the contract allows the Patriots to prorate the $10 million signing bonus over the two years of the deal. In other words, Revis counts just $7 million against the Patriots’ salary cap this year. In 2014, he’s a great deal.

The bill comes due in 2015, however, when the other $5 million of Revis’s 2014 pay would count toward the Patriots’ salary cap — even if they’ve already released him and he’s playing for someone else next year. (And that means if they did keep him under his current deal, Revis would count a whopping $25 million against the Patriots’ 2015 cap.)

But the Patriots will worry about next year next year. This was a deal to get a great cornerback on the Patriots this year. That’s what the Patriots have in Revis, even if it’s only a one-year rental.

I completely agree. Unless Revis was willing to sign on for 8-9MM, it made no sense to have him eat so much cap space. From a long term perspective, we are better off continuing to improve in each one of our open positions. We want the Jets to be competitive each year...it wasn't as if Revis is the missing piece from the team winning the SB. The Pats just dealt their ace card, they have very little to acquire players. If Edelman leaves, they will be relying on Amedola who is often referred to as a "china doll"...aka fragile. So look at the Pats..yes they have Gronk but he has become a walking injury, they have Amendola but he also is a walking injury...who else do they have on the O side except for Brady?

We are good and I have all the confidence in the world in Idzik and Ryan, we will get better and better...watch it this year!

LL

he would never have come back to the Jets for less than he was making when they unloaded him.  That would be like returning with your tail between your legs if you were a dog.  And he is no dog.  He has a very high opinion of his talents and an exaggerated sense of self worth.  Jets did the right thing.

This “proper perspective” would have been laughed at here if the Jets had signed him. I agree with not signing a player for the sake of keeping him from another team, no matter who they are. But it does sicken me a little to think he’ll be playing for the Pats, and sickens me even more to think he might be back to his best.

If we’d have signed him we’d have all been lauding the genius of the move, how we got him for cheaper than we would have before, and acquired the best player in the previous draft as a result. The only way to assure that it doesn’t come back to bite us is to actually spend the remaining cap space wisely and bring in the right players. I’ll take us improving along with the Patriots over us stagnating along with the Patriots every day of the week. 

The Pats stay on top because of Brady.  BB's whole head coaching reputation is tied up in Tom Brady.  When Brady goes, or another knee injury forces him to go, BB will run out the door on this team, because stagnation will be the order of the day.

The Pats stay on top because of Brady.  BB's whole head coaching reputation is tied up in Tom Brady.  When Brady goes, or another knee injury forces him to go, BB will run out the door on this team, because stagnation will be the order of the day.

yeah cause when Brady was out for the year we all Imagined that 11-5 season :P with a QB who can't settle in anywhere

yeah cause when Brady was out for the year we all Imagined that 11-5 season :tongue: with a QB who can't settle in anywhere

I think the opinion that BB is a big zero without Brady was a bit overreaching, but I don't think the current team would go 11-5 with Matt Cassell again.  This team doesn't have Welker & Moss anymore, nor is the D as good.

Put away the crock of sh*t and enjoy the facts -

The Pats had one shut down corner last year and we beat them.

The Pats still have a shut down corner and 7 million less dollars to spend on glaring needs.

If they want the same shut down corner next year the price of poker goes up even more.

Who lost here? 

Put away the crock of sh*t and enjoy the facts -

The Pats had one shut down corner last year and we beat them.

The Pats still have a shut down corner and 7 million less dollars to spend on glaring needs.

If they want the same shut down corner next year the price of poker goes up even more.

Who lost here? 

that depends on revis's contract. they can franchise tag him if that wasn't eliminated.

ie. I didn't read about his contract or this thread, so I don't know if the franchise tag is a possibility

that depends on revis's contract. they can franchise tag him if that wasn't eliminated.

ie. I didn't read about his contract or this thread, so I don't know if the franchise tag is a possibility

It was. 

So Revis will almost certainly hit free agency again next year, and because there’s a second year on the deal the Patriots can’t use the franchise tag on Revis. They have to either pay him the $20 million next year or cut him.

One thing that helps the Patriots, as Albert Breer of NFL Network pointed out, is that the two-year structure of the contract allows the Patriots to prorate the $10 million signing bonus over the two years of the deal. In other words, Revis counts just $7 million against the Patriots’ salary cap this year. In 2014, he’s a great deal.

The bill comes due in 2015, however, when the other $5 million of Revis’s 2014 pay would count toward the Patriots’ salary cap — even if they’ve already released him and he’s playing for someone else next year. (And that means if they did keep him under his current deal, Revis would count a whopping $25 million against the Patriots’ 2015 cap.)

So Belichick got Bonilla'd.

"But the Patriots made a lateral move in bringing in Revis, a player older and more injury prone than Talib. Revis isn’t substantially better than Talib — at best they’re even."

So the proper perspective on Revis includes deluding ourselves into thinking Talib is better then Revis?

even funnier is that they mentioned injury concerns pertaining to revis and not talib? there is no lateral move here. talib signed with the broncos. if revis doesn't sign with the pats, they are left with a huge hole in the secondary that wasn't nothing to write home about, to begin with

You guys didn't read the article.  The contract cleverly avoids any possibility of NE franchising Revis.  They have to renegotiate or cut him.

Yupp.  Revis' is clearly holding the cards against the Patriots come 2015, and this explains how the Pats are able to continue shopping. 

I think the opinion that BB is a big zero without Brady was a bit overreaching, but I don't think the current team would go 11-5 with Matt Cassell again.  This team doesn't have Welker & Moss anymore, nor is the D as good.

I don't think BB is a zero as a coach.  Just as a championship coach.  He got his first by cheating and his next two by Brady.  Brady has been getting him to the dance.  So what do we know about him?  He was a great assistant.  He knows defense.  He has smart guys on his staff.   Think Rex might have won a few SBs with his team and Brady at the helm?  Just saying......

I don't think BB is a zero as a coach.  Just as a championship coach.  He got his first by cheating and his next two by Brady.  Brady has been getting him to the dance.  So what do we know about him?  He was a great assistant.  He knows defense.  He has smart guys on his staff.   Think Rex might have won a few SBs with his team and Brady at the helm?  Just saying......

He's definitely a cheater.

Not sure why this even matters or is in the equation?

The Jets shouldn't make moves based on what makes NE better or worse. The Jets should make moves on what makes them better. Short and long term.

They are mutually exclusive

I'm not sure either, I am not the Op, I didn't title my thread "put things in the proper perspective", and i didn't list Talib being better then Revis as one of the reasons why this was good

Exactly.

Dude wanted nothing to do with us. He called Idzik a liar publicly. Whatever, he's not worth worrying about unless he regains pre-ACL form.

All I know that is fact about Revis is that he signed yesterday, and today they are already talking about re-negotiating his deal for a longer term... and that in the past 3 seasons, by the end of each season, the teams he played for had all been lost by the team leadership. Twice with Rex and once with Schiano.

Revis may not be 100% to blame, but as far as I can see, he is the common denominator. It'll be interesting to see if New England can be impervious to the effects of his me-first presence.

Excellent point, he hasn't proven he is back to form, and may never get there, he is a cancer

because of his greed. He went to war with Jet fans after the trade to TB, which shows he is

mentally weak off the field, Greed Revis will be a disaster for the Pats.

only jets fans would denigrate a coach for 5 SB appearances and 3 SB championships in 12 years. not to mention what 11 out of last 12 AFCE titles? belly is a great coach. as in all time great. did he spy and is he fortunate to have brady? of course. but getting to a SB is incredibly difficult. winning even more so. i hate the man but let's not kid ourselves. he is in a class by himself.

only jets fans would denigrate a coach for 5 SB appearances and 3 SB championships in 12 years. not to mention what 11 out of last 12 AFCE titles? belly is a great coach. as in all time great. did he spy and is he fortunate to have brady? of course. but getting to a SB is incredibly difficult. winning even more so. i hate the man but let's not kid ourselves. he is in a class by himself.

I am not going to waste my time arguing about BB.  I don't even like talking about Revis any more.  But you are right.  He is in a class by himself.  What that class is, has not yet been scientifically classified.

Here you idiots go again, making every freaking excuse why we shouldn't sign revis, yet if idzik signed revis, you would have been saying what a great move and idzik is a genius.

Is every freaking jet fan a moron hypocrite?

mrsryan

Here you idiots go again, making every freaking excuse why we shouldn't sign revis, yet if idzik signed revis, you would have been saying what a great move and idzik is a genius.

mrsryan

I want to climax on your toes. 

mrsryan

Only on Sundays.

I am not going to waste my time arguing about BB.  I don't even like talking about Revis any more.  But you are right.  He is in a class by himself.  What that class is, has not yet been scientifically classified.

i will grant you that being a scumbag doesn't preclude you from being a great coach

mrsryan

My 'Promo splash side of brain would be happy', but my 'cap friendly, build perennial contender' side of brain would have been pissed if we spent 37% of the LONG awaited cap available cash on hand went on one player, on the side of the ball where we are pretty solid already. We have to score points even if D dominant. 

So Belichick got Bonilla'd.

Best contract in the history of baseball, he absolutely fleeced the Mets. I forget the exact numbers but didn't he turn something like $7 million dollars into $30 million by taking it in installments + interest? And here I was, thinking you were the forward thinker of the group.  

What's even crazier, is to think that 1990 was 24 years ago and his 5 year 30ish million dollar deal was one of the highest ever.  Now you got the Kershaw's of the world making $30 million per.  Knew I should have been a lefty.

Best contract in the history of baseball, he absolutely fleeced the Mets. I forget the exact numbers but didn't he turn something like $7 million dollars into $30 million by taking it in installments + interest? And here I was, thinking you were the forward thinker of the group.  

What's even crazier, is to think that 1990 was 24 years ago and his 5 year 30ish million dollar deal was one of the highest ever.  Now you got the Kershaw's of the world making $30 million per.  Knew I should have been a lefty.

don't forget the best part of the story--wilpon made the deal because he calculated he would make money off the deal because he was getting such huge returns through madoff! yes you can't make this sh*t up.

yeah i was about to make this point exactly, These players are not even close to even. 

the thing that makes me the most angry is the Jets sign Decker while the Pats sign Revis. How many catches will Decker get against the Patriots? It's like the Decker signing is only gonna pay off when they aren't paying the Pats. 

Revis can only take away one guy.  THose will just be the games that Kerley or whoever we get in the draft run rampant.  It's only bad if this is the only move we make at WR

Archived