NBCsports.com: Jets expressing interest in James Jones

BroadwayJets

Report: Jets expressing interest in James Jones

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 13, 2014, 3:40 AM EDT
james-jones.jpg?w=177AP

Even before the release of Santonio Holmes, the New York Jets were in serious need of help at the wide receiver position. They made a splash by picking up the top free agent receiver on the market Wednesday night in former Denver Broncos receiver Eric Decker.

However, the Jets may not be finished adding to their receiving corps.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets have also expressed a serious interest in former Green Bay Packers wide receiver James Jones.

Jones has put together very strong seasons for the Packers over the last two years. He caught 54 passes for 817 yards and three touchdowns for Green Bay last season after compiling 14 touchdowns in 2012.

The Jets had not yet scheduled a visit with Jones and the deal with Decker may soften the team’s interest in bringing him to New York. But with the teamfrustrated with Stephen Hill, adding Decker and Jones could be a nice boost forGeno Smith to take into his second season under center with the Jets.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love it.  Plenty of nice WR's out there in addition to Decker but I think I like him the best.

decker is the exact kind of player jets fans rally behind. and no it has nothing to do with his skin. he will be a fan favorite this year. bank on it.

decker is the exact kind of player jets fans rally behind. and no it has nothing to do with his skin. he will be a fan favorite this year. bank on it.

If anything, at least he's someone I'd give some consideration to drafting in my fantasy leagues...which typically I stay as far away from Jets offensive players as possible.  lulz

a lot depends if Jets think they will go WR in 1st round,,w/Decker and WR at 18 ,Jones money can be spent elsewhere on Jets,,If they get Jones (and now Decker) then maybe they dont need WR at 18

They might go TE w/ Ebron (if he's there when we pick).  Though I hope we go D in the first round.

Like Jones, however I do not get Idzik's lack of interest in Nicks.

For starters, I think it's the other way around. Nicks is on record saying he wants to go somewhere with proven QB play and listed the Colts, Chargers, and Panthers as likely landing spots.  

But also, (and don't get weird on me), I think Idzik is valuing players character in his (long-term) acquisitions this year. 

a lot depends if Jets think they will go WR in 1st round,,w/Decker and WR at 18 ,Jones money can be spent elsewhere on Jets,,If they get Jones (and now Decker) then maybe they dont need WR at 18

They might go TE w/ Ebron (if he's there when we pick).  Though I hope we go D in the first round.

USC WR Marqise Lee met privately with high-level Jets personnel before and after his Pro Day Wednesday.

It's a sign the Jets are interested in Lee at No. 16 overall, or could even try to snag him in the second round. The 2012 Biletnikoff Award winner measured in at just 5-foot-11 3/4 and ran a disappointing 4.52 at the Combine. GM John Idzik is not done at wide receiver after signing Eric Decker Wednesday.
Related: Jets

Report: Jets expressing interest in James Jones

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 13, 2014, 3:40 AM EDT

james-jones.jpg?w=177AP

Even before the release of Santonio Holmes, the New York Jets were in serious need of help at the wide receiver position. They made a splash by picking up the top free agent receiver on the market Wednesday night in former Denver Broncos receiver Eric Decker.

However, the Jets may not be finished adding to their receiving corps.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets have also expressed a serious interest in former Green Bay Packers wide receiver James Jones.

Jones has put together very strong seasons for the Packers over the last two years. He caught 54 passes for 817 yards and three touchdowns for Green Bay last season after compiling 14 touchdowns in 2012.

The Jets had not yet scheduled a visit with Jones and the deal with Decker may soften the team’s interest in bringing him to New York. But with the teamfrustrated with Stephen Hill, adding Decker and Jones could be a nice boost forGeno Smith to take into his second season under center with the Jets.

Can we stop using Mehta as a real source around Jetnation, we all know he makes up 50% of his stuff.

USC WR Marqise Lee met privately with high-level Jets personnel before and after his Pro Day Wednesday.

It's a sign the Jets are interested in Lee at No. 16 overall, or could even try to snag him in the second round. The 2012 Biletnikoff Award winner measured in at just 5-foot-11 3/4 and ran a disappointing 4.52 at the Combine. GM John Idzik is not done at wide receiver after signing Eric Decker Wednesday.

We could use a #16 pick. Because the player we really really want would be picked at #17. Happens every year.

Nicks had one good year really

Which one?  His really good year or the year he put up nearly identical stats?

For starters, I think it's the other way around. Nicks is on record saying he wants to go somewhere with proven QB play and listed the Colts, Chargers, and Panthers as likely landing spots.  

But also, (and don't get weird on me), I think Idzik is valuing players character in his (long-term) acquisitions this year. 

Character is important when you are dumping long term money.  It is also important when you are dealing with a QB that is not accomplished and may be a little delicate.  It is one thing to add a head case to a top D, but to add a guy that missed meetings and acted up with Eli as his QB may be asking for trouble. 

The Jets may be interested in him at No.16 overall, but I sure hope they remember they are picking 18th. 

Like Jones, however I do not get Idzik's lack of interest in Nicks.

From what I've been gathering of Idzik is that he seems to have a long-term plan, which doesn't involve one year flyers on players who will take the money and run #eaglesbaby, unless of course it's a stopgap like Colon. Nicks has pretty much stated from the get-go that he wants to sign a one year, prove-it deal with someone like the Broncos, Panthers, Pats or Ravens and then go into free agency the following year with his stock up.  If Nicks were coming off his 2011 season, he would have been the best free agent on the market, but he knows he has to remake his image and I don't think Idzik wants to be a stepping stone for anyone.  I could be completely wrong and he has interest in Nicks, but my gut tells me he wants to sign guys for a minimum of a few years that fit into his long-term blue print.

From what I've been gathering of Idzik is that he seems to have a long-term plan, which doesn't involve one year flyers on players who will take the money and run #eaglesbaby, unless of course it's a stopgap like Colon. Nicks has pretty much stated from the get-go that he wants to sign a one year, prove-it deal with someone like the Broncos, Panthers, Pats or Ravens and then go into free agency the following year with his stock up.  If Nicks were coming off his 2011 season, he would have been the best free agent on the market, but he knows he has to remake his image and I don't think Idzik wants to be a stepping stone for anyone.  I could be completely wrong and he has interest in Nicks, but my gut tells me he wants to sign guys for a minimum of a few years that fit into his long-term blue print.

don't think it matters if idzik is interested in not. 1 year show me deal WRs are not coming to the NYJ

Character is important when you are dumping long term money.  It is also important when you are dealing with a QB that is not accomplished and may be a little delicate.  It is one thing to add a head case to a top D, but to add a guy that missed meetings and acted up with Eli as his QB may be asking for trouble. 

I agree completely.  

The Jets may be interested in him at No.16 overall, but I sure hope they remember they are picking 18th. 

But are they, Dom?  Are they?

But that's not what I want Nicks to do.

Archived