NBCsports.com: Jets expressing interest in James Jones

BroadwayJets

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

decker is in the long term plans. if the jets plan on adding another wr, I would like to believe it to be more of a one or 2 year stop gap. it no secret that the jets will be drafting at least one wr in this years draft. makes sense to ease the young wr in to the line up

So from what i'm hearing the line up mite be

WR - erik decker. Marquise lee

TE - brandon pettigrew. Jeff cumberland

Qb - Geno. Vick

WR - james jones. Jeremy kerley

RB - chris ivory. MJD

What a motley crew that is.  Everyone in that lineup runs a 4.55 forty. 

I never thought about it from that perspective. I too do not want Nicks to do that.  I would like him to sign with the Jets long term and for Idzik to take into consideration not paying him too much money.

and if idzik puts one of those chompers under his pillow tonight maybe the toothfairy will come and give him the $9M a year minimum it would take to get nicks to sign a long term deal.

512x.jpg

to me it is simple: nicks thinks he is worth more than any team is willing to shell out on a long term deal after his last two seasons. the solution? one year show me deal. NYJ not in the cards.

I never thought about it from that perspective. I too do not want Nicks to do that.  I would like him to sign with the Jets long term and for Idzik to take into consideration not paying him too much money.

Might I add that I would also like him to play well after not paying him too much money.

If we grab jones theres no way were drafting a wr at #1

I'd tend to agree, but it depends on how much Jones costs and how much is guaranteed. I'd have to believe it won't be insignificant since he'll be signing on to be the #2 WR on the Geno Smith Jets.

But it depends on who falls to us.  Keep in mind WRs don't show all they're going to be right away.  And Jones could always be traded if a #1 pick really started showing he belongs on the field every down.

Minnesota drafted Moss in round 1 when they already had two giant pro bowl WRs on the team.  Decker & Jones aren't Carter & Reed either.

The point is to leave the option open to take the best player we can get.  Leaving one WR position as a gaping hole forces that hand a bit, and further it forces one to start using him instantly whether he's ready or not (like with Hill).

But I agree it would be less likely.  If his demands are reasonable I think Pettigrew is a decent pickup.  Wouldn't prevent us from taking Ebron early either if he fell to us and if he was the best player available.  Would be quite an arsenal, to say nothing of the magnitude of improvement from '13 to '14.

***edit - ok, Pettigrew is now a Jet.  Looking good.

I'd tend to agree, but it depends on how much Jones costs and how much is guaranteed. I'd have to believe it won't be insignificant since he'll be signing on to be the #2 WR on the Geno Smith Jets.

But it depends on who falls to us.  Keep in mind WRs don't show all they're going to be right away.  And Jones could always be traded if a #1 pick really started showing he belongs on the field every down.

Minnesota drafted Moss in round 1 when they already had two giant pro bowl WRs on the team.  Decker & Jones aren't Carter & Reed either.

The point is to leave the option open to take the best player we can get.  Leaving one WR position as a gaping hole forces that hand a bit, and further it forces one to start using him instantly whether he's ready or not (like with Hill).

But I agree it would be less likely.  If his demands are reasonable I think Pettigrew is a decent pickup.  Wouldn't prevent us from taking Ebron early either if he fell to us and if he was the best player available.  Would be quite an arsenal, to say nothing of the magnitude of improvement from '13 to '14.

Sperm, if we sign Jones, I'm wondering if we skip WR at 18 and do a package to get Ebron. pettigrew skillset wont stop getting Ebron.. He is like a #1 WR aka Jimmy Graham..

I'm pretty much going by what we've seen from rex. I'm no way against Evans or Lee if available at 18

Sperm, if we sign Jones, I'm wondering if we skip WR at 18 and do a package to get Ebron. pettigrew skillset wont stop getting Ebron.. He is like a #1 WR aka Jimmy Graham..

Setting up good WR ahead of the draft, setting up the line, and hopefully getting a corner, basically leaves Idzik with no real need for anything. They can draft the BPA and nobody will have any real tell on what we're trying to do. Like I have been saying, Idzik is absolutely crushing this FA period. 

Setting up good WR ahead of the draft, setting up the line, and hopefully getting a corner, basically leaves Idzik with no real need for anything. They can draft the BPA and nobody will have any real tell on what we're trying to do. Like I have been saying, Idzik is absolutely crushing this FA period. 

I'm very happy with it as well.

Same free agency period that had people screaming that it was grounds for his instant firing less than 24 hours ago. 

Any of our recent acquisitions really have no baring on the draft, Idzik has stated that numerous times. Free agency is for need and draft is for value. Additionally, you have to remember that Kerley and Nelson are both UFAs after this season and if they are not resigned, as they may want to maximize their value, we're back down to Decker, Jones (if he signs), Hill and then a bunch of nobodies. In addition to drafting BPA, if you want elite talent at WR, you usually have to draft it, very rarely does it hit the open market.  Signing Jones wouldn't make WR as dire a need as it was before free agency, but I would still argue that it's our #1 need or at the very least a 1b or 1c. 

USC WR Marqise Lee privately met with "high-level Jets personnel" before and after his pro day workout.

This is "a good indication that the team will seriously consider him with the No. 18 overall pick," according to beat writer Manish Mehta. The team did just sign Eric Decker, but they need to add more offensive talent around geno Smith. Lee had a down year compared to the 2012 season, including a 12 percent drop rate, but he has plenty of talent.

What does this mean? If it was up to Rex we would have gotten into a bidding war to sign Revis for 1 season.  Rex isn't the GM.

He certainly has an influence, and the last time we drafted offense in the first round was Sanchez, I know it doesn't mean we wont take offense 1st round, but if we were to sign jones i would put my money that were going defense

We're drafting whoever they feel is the best available player regardless position, like last year and marquise lee will be there most likely and many coaches have said they believe he's the best receiver in the draft.

He certainly has an influence, and the last time we drafted offense in the first round was Sanchez, I know it doesn't mean we wont take offense 1st round, but if we were to sign jones i would put my money that were going defense

Things done under a different GM do not extend to this one.  If anything is clear, it's that they have completely different approaches to bringing in new players (or retaining existing ones).

Archived