Rapaport: Wilfork asks for release.

RSJ

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they can have the turd

Turd is the word. 

I'm just saying I bet he ends up there. I could see him lighting it up with Brady throwing him the ball. I hated him and wanted him gone since since '11, but I could see this happening. 

He is an instant upgrade on most of the teams in the NFL at that position right now. 

No arguments.  However, do you really see a team giving him that much money in 2014?  Maybe, a team will do a Revis' type deal, surprisingly legal, where you can have a poison pill that the player will never see.  I doubt it

The last (recent) report I read was he just started running.  Someone is going to pay him no doubt, but I do not see him getting 7 million.

The difference between the salary and the cap figure are the millions money you guys are paying him no matter where he plays.

I know.

Which makes me wonder how much of a pay cut they asked him to take? 

His salary is 7.5 million.  I would assume they offered to extend, turn more of that 7.5 into a bonus, etc. etc etc.

Unless a team comes in with more than 7.5 million up front, he is not going to see that money again. 

No arguments.  However, do you really see a team giving him that much money in 2014?  Maybe, a team will do a Revis' type deal, surprisingly legal, where you can have a poison pill that the player will never see.  I doubt it

The last (recent) report I read was he just started running.  Someone is going to pay him no doubt, but I do not see him getting 7 million.

You guys made Revis the highest paid player on your team.  Brady, Mayo and the such all in the 9k range.  Hell of a message of a message to send. . 

You guys made Revis the highest paid player on your team.  Brady, Mayo and the such all in the 9k range.  Hell of a message of a message to send. . 

I am sure they would be thrilled if they let Aquib walk and brought in another draft pick. Brady has time for the nexy guy to develop. :hand:

For the record Brady's cap number is 14.8 million. Vince, Mankins and Mayo all have bigger caps hits than Revis.

Again, the Patriots might not say it, but they made a move for the now. And they did it with arguably one of the top 2 or 3 corners inthe game. While he is in the prime.

I get why Vince is mad, but I am sure all of the other plyers under contract love this signing. Especially the other 52+ without rings.

I am sure they would be thrilled if they let Aquib walk and brought in another draft pick. Brady has time for the nexy guy to develop. :hand:

For the record Brady's cap number is 14.8 million. Vince, Mankins and Mayo all have bigger caps hits than Revis.

Again, the Patriots might not say it, but they made a move for the now. And they did it with arguably one of the top 2 or 3 corners inthe game. While he is in the prime.

I get why Vince is mad, but I am sure all of the other plyers under contract love this signing. Especially the other 52+ without rings.

Works great if the Pats were the difference between Talib and Revis away from winning a title.  You traded in a newer model for an older one that you can never trust to a long term contract.  Might be a better idea to sign Talib to a long term deal with less money up front and get Brady some receivers.  But Im glad everyone but Vince is happy.  **** fat people!!

Works great if the Pats were the difference between Talib and Revis away from winning a title.  You traded in a newer model for an older one that you can never trust to a long term contract.  Might be a better idea to sign Talib to a long term deal with less money up front and get Brady some receivers.  But Im glad everyone but Vince is happy.  **** fat people!!

First, Talib is all of 6 mos. younger.

Second, Talib is a little over a year away from his drug suspension for Adderall. He was traded away with a 7th round pick for a 4th round pick. A shutdown corner in his prime was traded for a 4th round pick.

I do not believe the Patriots are going to win another with Brady/Belichick. Seattle and San Francisco are better.

However, in order to have a chance of "any given Sunday" happening like it did 13 years ago, they need to win the AFC. Are the Broncos that much better today?

After listening to Eric Davis on NFL AM, I am not sure they are. Will Caldwell fill Decker's shoes? Will Talib and Ware do better than Cromatie and Phillips? The Broncos are no doubt still the best team in the AFC, but the Patriots are a better team. Give them some NFL health for the next season and I like their chances.

Pats are better this year?

They are about to lose Edelman.

They are about to lose Wilfork.

Brady is one year older.

Your top two receiving threats are china dolls (amendola and Gronk).

Your best player is Brady. Revis is a shut down corner but if Wilfork leaves, every team will know that to beat the Pats you just need to run the ball.

Run the ball and keep it away from Brady = a win.

How are the Pats better? Revis is slightly better than Talib.

Brady is one year older.

Your best player is Brady. Revis is a shut down corner but if Wilfork leaves, every team will know that to beat the Pats you just need to run the ball.

QFT

Brady is one year older.

Manning is like 18 mos. older than Brady, how is he handling getting older? Up until the SB, he looked good.

As far as the offense goes, I feel better about Brady's tools this year going into the season then last year when Gronk was unknown, Amendola, Edelman, Vereen and two rookies. Gronk is again unknown and Amendola is well Amendola, but Thomplins and Dobson now have a year under their belts.

As far as the defenses goes, while Wilfork, if cut, will be a loss the Patriots also lost Tommy Kelley and Mayo last year. Yes, the Run D suffered when Wilfork went down, but the also lost two other big pieces of the center D as well. Hopefully, Vellano and the other Jones have been fattening up to beff up the middle of the D. As undrafted rookie.street free agents, they did a decent job in the middle despite being undersized.

I do think the Patriots are better.  I am not saying they are 16-0 order ring number 4 better.  Denver is still the clear favorite in the AFC.  Seattle and San Fran are even above them. 

Brady is one year older.

Pats did not improve, Revis replaces Talib - that's a wash, Revis is better, but how much better?

Edelman is back so the Pats escape that possible issue but if they lose Wilfork, that will be a tough loss. You can't feel too comfortable with Gronk and Amendola....they are always breaking/pulling/tearing something. Outside of Edelman, the Pats have to hope dobson or Tompkins play much better in year two.  

Have to hand it to the Pats though, that Revis contract was a master stroke.

Edelman is back so the Pats escape that possible issue but if they lose Wilfork, that will be a tough loss. You can't feel too comfortable with Gronk and Amendola....they are always breaking/pulling/tearing something. Outside of Edelman, the Pats have to hope dobson or Tompkins play much better in year two.  

Have to hand it to the Pats though, that Revis contract was a master stroke.

Improving the secondary allows the Pats to do what they did last year; win with the short passing game.  Teams aren't going to blow up the scoreboard against them so they'll win a lot of 23-17 type games.  But with the window closing with Brady, I can't imagine them being a title contender.  They need more than Brandon LaFell.

Improving the secondary allows the Pats to do what they did last year; win with the short passing game.  Teams aren't going to blow up the scoreboard against them so they'll win a lot of 23-17 type games.  But with the window closing with Brady, I can't imagine them being a title contender.  They need more than Brandon LaFell.

I agree teams can't blow up the scoreboard, but Pats should have a tougher time stopping the run.  I don't remember the exact number, but the YPC averaged against the Pats the past X years when Wilfork isn't on the field is absolutely atrocious.  If, then, Revis goes down...

My point really is that for the first time there's someone in addition to Brady that the Pats absolutely cannot afford to lose. 

I agree teams can't blow up the scoreboard, but Pats should have a tougher time stopping the run.  I don't remember the exact number, but the YPC averaged against the Pats the past X years when Wilfork isn't on the field is absolutely atrocious.  If, then, Revis goes down...

My point really is that for the first time there's someone in addition to Brady that the Pats absolutely cannot afford to lose. 

Yeah, if you can gash the Pats with the run game all day long they'll be in trouble.  Revis and Browner only help you if you're leading.

Yeah, if you can gash the Pats with the run game all day long they'll be in trouble.  Revis and Browner only help you if you're leading.

With a bunch of RB's that like to fumble and your two best receivers (Amendola and Gronk) severely injury prone, that's not a good thing.  

Look, they'll win the AFC-east.  Not questioning that at all.  This isn't a Super Bowl team though, too top heavy (talent wise) and fragile.

Yeah, but those numbers are skewed by last year when Tommy Kelley was lost in the game after Vince.  Mayo the game after that.

I am not trying to minimize Vince's loss last year or going into the future if he indeed is cut.

He is a valuable player, but he is not the only significant player in the middle that was lost.

Geno overthrows Decker, Revis intercepts it and takes it to the 5 yard line where Decker tackles him and tears his ACL

With a bunch of RB's that like to fumble and your two best receivers (Amendola and Gronk) severely injury prone, that's not a good thing.  

Look, they'll win the AFC-east.  Not questioning that at all.  This isn't a Super Bowl team though, too top heavy (talent wise) and fragile.

Reminds me of the Jets AFCCG runs. Top heavy, but a couple of injuries would've ended the entire season.

Yeah, but those numbers are skewed by last year when Tommy Kelley was lost in the game after Vince.  Mayo the game after that.

I am not trying to minimize Vince's loss last year or going into the future if he indeed is cut.

He is a valuable player, but he is not the only significant player in the middle that was lost.

I remembered hearing something right after he went down that took into account downs he was off the field. That said, I'd have to acknowledge that a lot of those times could be in trash time. Not that Belichick is known for taking his stars out :P

I'll take your word for it if you say it won't be as bad as it seems, I just know that as a Jets fan I'll be more than happy to see him in a different jersey.

Reminds me of the Jets AFCCG runs. Top heavy, but a couple of injuries would've ended the entire season.

I'd equate it more to the Favre/Jenkins year. If you remember. Jenkins was a DMVP candidate until his injury. Favre was still enough with the rest of the talent until playing through the injury. When they were both out/injured...we saw what happened. And tried to forget it.

I remembered hearing something right after he went down that took into account downs he was off the field. That said, I'd have to acknowledge that a lot of those times could be in trash time. Not that Belichick is known for taking his stars out :tongue:

I'll take your word for it if you say it won't be as bad as it seems, I just know that as a Jets fan I'll be more than happy to see him in a different jersey.

I'd equate it more to the Favre/Jenkins year. If you remember. Jenkins was a DMVP candidate until his injury. Favre was still enough with the rest of the talent until playing through the injury. When they were both out/injured...we saw what happened. And tried to forget it.

I really hope it will not be as bad with Kelley and Mayo back.  Or the Patriots are f'd.  Not that you care.  :)

I remembered hearing something right after he went down that took into account downs he was off the field. That said, I'd have to acknowledge that a lot of those times could be in trash time. Not that Belichick is known for taking his stars out :tongue:

True. So it was the Favre year, plus 2 yrs from Sanchez.

Archived