Rapaport: Wilfork asks for release.

RSJ

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they have $10M.  It think that is because $4.5-5M of the Revis money is kicked to next year.

Have you noticed the way we treat $10M as if it is "a lot" for them, but we have more than $30M and it's "we better not overpay anyone!" or "we need to leave money for draft picks!"????

I think they have $10M.  It think that is because $4.5-5M of the Revis money is kicked to next year.

Idk, I know they had 15 at the beginning of free agency. Then cut their NT and signed Revis.

I love this.  I thought something like this would happen.  They will probably dump McCourty too.  And maybe they cannot resign Edelman.  Oh but they have Revis.   He will stop the run.  He will catch touchdown passes.  With Wilfat gone, teams will pour through the Pats D line.  Maybe they won't even have to pass it against the NE Revises..

That's why the NFL has the best structure.  There is an opportunity cost to signing a big name player like Revis.  Maybe they won't be able to keep other players.  This isn't Revis' fault btw.  Whoever is making the decisions (I assume Belichick) has to weigh the risks/rewards.

This is most peculiar.   I have heard about a dozen times that Revis got a one year 12 million contract.  That isn't what Jason's site says.

Jason has him on the Pats in 2015 with a 25 million cap hit 

I believe there is a 2015 team option on the contract. It allows the Pats to spread the 12 million over two cap years?

This is most peculiar.   I have heard about a dozen times that Revis got a one year 12 million contract.  That isn't what Jason's site says.

Jason has him on the Pats in 2015 with a 25 million cap hit 

Read the article Ape posted - Perspective on the Revis deal or whatever he called it.  Revis had it structured to provide some flexibility for 2014 AND to prevent him from being franchised in 2015.  It is actually like a 2 yr/$32M or something.  They will cut him at the end of this year and he will have been paid $12M though there is some wiggle because a big chunk of it is something like $333,333 game checks for 15 weeks. They have to cut him or restructure at the end of this year or pay him some crazy bonus. 

Read the article Ape posted - Perspective on the Revis deal or whatever he called it.  Revis had it structured to provide some flexibility for 2014 AND to prevent him from being franchised in 2015.  It is actually like a 2 yr/$32M or something.  They will cut him at the end of this year and he will have been paid $12M though there is some wiggle because a big chunk of it is something like $333,333 game checks for 15 weeks. They have to cut him or restructure at the end of this year or pay him some crazy bonus. 

yep. patriots get 2 years to spread the cap hit and revis gets franchise protection. win/win in that regard.

Thanks

Interesting how they hammered out this elaborate contract in 4 hours.   Hmmmmmmmm

Thanks

Interesting how they hammered out this elaborate contract in 4 hours.   Hmmmmmmmm

not as elaborate as it looks. the only real negotiating point was $ this year and protection from being franchised at the end of the year. the other stuff was just fluff to make that happen and give the pats two years to spread the money. the $333,333 bonus for 15 games is the only part to me that doesn't make a lot of sense. that's peanuts and doesn't really give pats much protection against a revis injury nor does it motivate him to tough out an injury to obtain it.

OH snap..WILFAT wants out.  I guess he sees that he is being asked to reduce his cap # and he said no, release me and let me show you my market value.

A 32yo 325+ DT coming off of an Achilles is going get 7.5 million/11.5 million cap figure?

Ok.

I just want to come in and say that Vince Wilfork is the single best NT I've ever seen. It's almost insulting how little notice his career will get - only the one ring from his rookie season. Seymour had the better timing and generally I like his style of player more, but Wilfork should be a HOFer and won't. He basically carried the Pats' D on his back during the second half of the 2000s, not one player close to his level on that team. 

Wasn't he hurt then? I could be wrong but thought so

I checked he missed the 177 yard game, but not the road game where we got 129.  Of course that was in the

A 32yo 325+ DT coming off of an Achilles is going get 7.5 million/11.5 million cap figure?

Ok.

The difference between the salary and the cap figure are the millions money you guys are paying him no matter where he plays.

Wilfork if released will be signed quick. The guy is a massive upgrade PLUS an achilles is Stronger after its been torn. So injury-wise I think Wilfork is no more susceptible to injury because of the Achilles.  

DO IT Pats, release Wilfork....your defense will instantly become worse...INSTANTLY.

Recipe to beat the Pats...RUN IT UP THE GUT!!!

Thanks

Sounds like a pretty simple deal.

They agreed on a one year deal and price and then added a bunch of clauses to protect each other.  The 2nd year numbers are so out there that they probably required no negotiation.  They are just there to insure that they either cut him or restructure next year. 

I love Wilfork but was just being tongue in cheek earlier. We cannot afford another Kris Jenkins. Idzik has been doing everything almost entirely right since he got here. Unless they feel otherwise, I don't think this is something we'd do. Watch it happen now.

Archived