Jets (will maybe, someday) sign Brandon Pettigrew. Or not.

Favorite_Toon

Not sure if posted:

Pettigrew declines Jets offer and signs back with Detroit March 14th, 2014 8:58 am

Last night it looked as if Brandon Pettigrew signing with the Jets an NFL team* was a done deal, and so it was.  Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports this morning that Pettigrew has agreed to terms with his old team, the Lions, over the Jets and a few others.

Pettigrew agreed to a four-year, $16-million deal with the Lions on Thursday that includes $8 million guaranteed. He’s en route to Detroit this morning to take a physical and sign his contract.

Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com

Adding Pettigrew would have added a versatile piece for a Jets offense looking for upgrades all over, but I don’t think that losing out on the tight end makes or breaks this offense.  Pettigrew is a try-hard blocker and a red zone threat but not a playmaker.

While Pettigrew is known for his pass-blocking, Cumberland came a long way in that regard this past year and the Jets still have the draft to look forward to, which might be a more sensible way to add tight ends considering the class of players outside of Jermichael Finley, the best at the position and who is returning from a serious spinal injury.  Will the Jets now begin to court Finley more seriously?

If I had one criticism so far of John Idzik’s first serious shot at free agency?  It is that the GM seems to be losing out on players the team is rather interested in signing for what appear small incremental amounts in order to beat opposing teams.

While it is hard to say just how much interest there were in certain players that the Jets were connected with, but Verner went for what seemed an amount the Jets could easily beat and feel comfortable about.  So too did Pettigrew here.  Eric Decker signed for a smaller amount than I would have imagined.  There is a theme.

I don’t want John Idzik to turn this team into the Redskins, but I also don’t want him to turn it into the Cardinals either, a team that believes collecting salary cap space is a contest.  How much more would it take to have secured Pettigrew or any of the other players that the Jets were tied to?  Likely just small incremental amounts and it is fair to say that it is starting to get a little frustrating with as much money as the team has.

Note: I misinterpreted the intent of the tweet last night saying that Pettigrew would have a deal in place.  On little sleep last night I understood that to mean the Jets were that single team, but that was not the case.  

Still, the point here is that the Jets seem to be watching most players get picked off the top of the pile when there’s plenty of space for them to get better.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the New York Daily News, the Jets will sign TE Brandon Pettigrew shortly.

It's an upgrade on Zach Sudfeld and Jeff Cumberland, but it's far from a difference-making acquisition. Pettigrew is a plodding, catch-and-fall guy in the passing game that has averaged 9.95 yards per reception in his five-year career. He's also been a liability when blocking in the run game. Pettigrew will barely be on the TE2 radar with Geno Smith and the Jets.

It is also ANOTHER one Idzik let get away. What is it with these guys and FINISHING? What did Pettigew do, ask to go to the bathroom, call his agent - tell him what the Jets offered and got a better one from Detroit, then left? Woody is probably STILL sitting in his office waiting for him to return from the loo. Idzik looks like a penny pincher vs the overspending Tanny, but there is a limit to penny pinching just as there is a limit the other way as well. FIND SOME MIDDLE GROUND IGGY.

No doubt on Woody.

But as someone else just mentioned, this is exactly what everyone claimed they wanted.  Someone who does it "right" by building through the draft and then plugging the last - or the most dire - holes in free agency.  But people are all talk.  They want that until they get it.

Look, at the end of the day it comes down to knowing what the heck you are doing, whether that is draft, or FA, plus player development and cap mgmt. I love the idea of building through the draft, but if your draft picks don't work out, you built through the draft but a crap team. I hope like hell that Idzik is the real deal, it is our best chance at having a long lasting run, but hope is not a strategy. I don't think he has done anything to show me he is or is not the guy at this point, and I find it nothing more than wishful thinking anyone who claims he is doing such a great job, and is the greatest.

At the end of the day, he will probably either figure out the QB position or not. If Geno is the guy, he will be a successful GM, if not, he will have a hard time because he may not get 3 more years to find one.

If Sanchez was worthy of the draft slot we took him in, Mr T would have probably been still employed despite other mistakes.

So glad we didn't sign Pettigrew. Last thing we need on this offense is TE that can't block and has "shaky" hands. This allows us to draft the top TE in the draft.

agree, but sadly the Top TE , Ebron, will be gone by 18 and Amaro may be gone by when we pick next

Look, at the end of the day it comes down to knowing what the heck you are doing, whether that is draft, or FA, plus player development and cap mgmt. I love the idea of building through the draft, but if your draft picks don't work out, you built through the draft but a crap team. I hope like hell that Idzik is the real deal, it is our best chance at having a long lasting run, but hope is not a strategy. I don't think he has done anything to show me he is or is not the guy at this point, and I find it nothing more than wishful thinking anyone who claims he is doing such a great job, and is the greatest.

At the end of the day, he will probably either figure out the QB position or not. If Geno is the guy, he will be a successful GM, if not, he will have a hard time because he may not get 3 more years to find one.

If Sanchez was worthy of the draft slot we took him in, Mr T would have probably been still employed despite other mistakes.

Except Sanchez wasn't. And 3 years later it was obvious. Further, Tannenbaum knew what a child he was behaving like behind the scenes, that fans weren't made aware of.  And then he guaranteed him 2 more years, forcing us to stay clear of any other QBs in the meantime. Except for Tim Tebow, that is.

The problem right now, ultimately, is that with so many holes and so many picks, that the draft is after free agency.  He's had 1 draft class.  One player is a sure keeper.  One probably will be despite his mostly-rough rookie season. Still another probably is (to the extent we care about the FB).  A RB added for our 4th is also going to last for as long as anyone's rookie deal would have been (as well as being more of a sure thing than a pick would have been, and not really that much more $).  The 2 obvious question marks are Geno and Winters.  Even the most ardent believers in one or the other would be unsurprised if both ended up as complete and total failures.

At the same time, the draft is after free agency for every team, not just the Jets.  But every team isn't trying to fill as many holes as we are.  It is somewhat arrogant to feel that we can lock down whole units in free agency and bank on holes only for the remaining units being filled in the draft, but being filled by players we won't want to replace already by week 3.

So glad we didn't sign Pettigrew. Last thing we need on this offense is TE that can't block and has "shaky" hands. This allows us to draft the top TE in the draft.

I was ok with him if the price was right for such a player.  The right price allows us to move on or keep him around as the #2 TE.  Paying him in the $5M/year range likely means Pettigrew is our starting TE for the next 2 seasons minimum, unless we get lucky on a late-round flyer, because the team won't be making an even greater investment in another so quickly.

But if we'd gotten him for $3M or so? Meh.  Cumberland's making $2M and there's no dead cap space if we cut him loose after 1 season.  And only $1M dead if we'd cut him this coming August.

Basically I liked the flexibility a reasonably-priced Pettigrew gave us more than the starting TE that signing Pettigrew gave us.

Well said.

Except Sanchez wasn't. And 3 years later it was obvious. Further, Tannenbaum knew what a child he was behaving like behind the scenes, that fans weren't made aware of.  And then he guaranteed him 2 more years, forcing us to stay clear of any other QBs in the meantime. Except for Tim Tebow, that is.

The problem right now, ultimately, is that with so many holes and so many picks, that the draft is after free agency.  He's had 1 draft class.  One player is a sure keeper.  One probably will be despite his mostly-rough rookie season. Still another probably is (to the extent we care about the FB).  A RB added for our 4th is also going to last for as long as anyone's rookie deal would have been (as well as being more of a sure thing than a pick would have been, and not really that much more $).  The 2 obvious question marks are Geno and Winters.  Even the most ardent believers in one or the other would be unsurprised if both ended up as complete and total failures.

At the same time, the draft is after free agency for every team, not just the Jets.  But every team isn't trying to fill as many holes as we are.  It is somewhat arrogant to feel that we can lock down whole units in free agency and bank on holes only for the remaining units being filled in the draft, but being filled by players we won't want to replace already by week 3.

Im not arguing for Tannenbaum, and I am probably the biggest Rex fan alive, but I think Rex gets hit as much if not more for Sancho's immature childish behavior with no consequence than even Tannenbaum, but ultimately the Sanchez extension costs Tannenbaum his job, which it should have. All I am saying is that it is IMO, its about as bad to be praising Idzik as some savior and genius team builder as it is to be knocking him right now.

I was fired up the other night after the Revis thing and a bunch of whiskey, but the rest of it is pure TBD, nothing more.

Furthermore, Woody, and the Jets have given me zero reason to be optimistic over a 35+ year run, so I would rather not get my hopes up until they do something good. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I am all about that, I'm half Canadian, but it seems as though those with a negative spin on Idzik are getting bitch slapped, while the positive spinners are getting praised and patting each other on the back. I think both sides are silly right now.

The only one really objective has been Slats.

that manish clown posted that pettigrew was a jet....

Third post in the thread I posted.

According to the New York Daily News, the Jets will sign TE Brandon Pettigrew shortly.

Will sign not did sign big difference and that was to clarify that he wasn't signed and here we are 14 pages later.

Archived