NY Jets have private meeting with USC receiver Marqise Lee after his L.A. pro day

hoping4ASuperBowl

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-private-meeting-usc-wr-marqise-lee-article-1.1720452

The Jets made an important first step to upgrading its offensive skill positions by signing free agent wide receiver Eric Decker to a lucrative five-year deal Wednesday night, but there’s likely more to come.

The Jets may add another wideout in free agency, but general manager John Idzik’s best hope of landing a cornerstone player at the position will be in the draft in May. To that end, the organization has shown significant interest in USC receiver Marqise Lee.

The Daily News has learned that Lee, the 2012 Biletnikoff Award winner, met privately with some high-level Jets personnel before and after his Pro Day in Los Angeles Wednesday, a good indication that the team will seriously consider him with the No. 18 overall pick.

RELATED: SORRY, JETS FANS! REVIS REACHES ONE-YEAR, $12 MILLION DEAL WITH RIVAL PATRIOTS

The 6-0, 195-pound Lee is regarded as one of the best run-after-the-catch receivers with inside-outside skills in the draft. He also provides a dimension in the kick-return game.

The Jets, of course, are in the process of revamping the receiving corps to help Geno Smith in his second season. Lee’s skillset could help replace the void left by Santonio Holmes, who was released earlier this week.

Rex Ryan and Idzik have left little doubt that improving pass-catchers is one of the team’s priorities in free agency and the draft. Texas A&M’s Mike Evans, Florida State’s Kelvin Benjamin, LSU’s Odell Beckham and Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks are also intriguing options.

RELATED: JETS AGREE TO MAMMOTH DEAL WITH WR DECKER

Lee followed his breakout season in 2012 (1,721 yards, 14 TDs) with a junior year sprinkled with a couple nagging leg injuries that led to 791 yards and 4 TDs. Reports from USC’s Pro Day suggested that Lee looked good in positional drills.

"I'd give myself a B+," Lee told reporters Wednesday. "I'm just trying to get fully up to par to the Marqise that people want me to get back to."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-private-meeting-usc-wr-marqise-lee-article-1.1720452#ixzz2vsdpYEOQ

A
ny info on how good this kid is?  I thought I saw some draftniks compare him to Desean Jackson.  Do you guys like this kid?

He's way too small.

Marvin Harrison, Tory Holt, Reggie Wayne, Isaac Bruce, Steve Smith, Greg Jennings...  We all would like a Calvin Johnson, but usually guys that are 5'11" to 6'1" are able to get to top speed faster and put pressure on defensive backs quicker than someone like Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin.  I know in your world, no one under 6'3 can be considered a true #1 WR, but it's just not the case.  Hell, weren't you the one who so desperately wanted hakeem nicks?  Dude measured in at 6'.5", does that 1" really make him that much more of a threat than Lee?

Archived