The Jets have 7 CBs on the roster 2 #1 Draft picks

joewilly12

I agree with you that's a decent list to choose 2 starters from id rather they sign a RB,WR,LB,OL.

IMHO You can never have enough CB's. Remember the year the Pats had to use WR Troy Brown as a DB ? Plus the fact that the league has gotten more pass happy recently makes it imperative that we pick up a decent coverage CB.

Free agent CB Aaron Berry is drawing interest from teams.

Berry, 25, missed the entire 2013 season with a torn ACL and has appeared in just 19 games over the last four seasons due to injuries. A once-promising UDFA, Berry has flashed starting-caliber tools and can contribute on special teams. Berry should only require a one-year deal and is a low-risk, high-upside signing for a team that's willing to take a chance on his health.
  • Thumb Down 1

Are they talking about the same Antonio Cromartie that we all know? LOL!!

While there is a chance cornerback Antonio Cromartie re-signs with the New York Jets, the veteran is receiving plenty of intention on the open market. The Arizona Cardinals hosted him for a visit Thursday and Friday, according to Kent Somers of AZCentral.com, but the two parties have yet to come to an agreement.

Cromartie is coming off a mediocre season in which he only racked up 35 combined tackles and three interceptions in 16 games, but he is a veteran of the NFL who has composure in unfavorable situations.

After being cut by New York, Cromartie took to Twitter to comment on the situation:

Arizona already has one of the most dynamic defensive backfields in the league with Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu, and the addition of a hard-hitting veteran like Cromartie would help the team reach the next level.

Whether the two teams can reach a deal will be the top storyline of the coming days.

Predicted Landing Spot: Arizona Cardinals

We have Aaron Berry as well. If he can finally stay healthy he could thrive in this d.

isn't aaron berry a free aget this year? saw a tweet saying teams had interest in him

edit:  already been answered. should have read further down the page

Edited by ylekram

Are they talking about the same Antonio Cromartie that we all know? LOL!!

While there is a chance cornerback Antonio Cromartie re-signs with the New York Jets, the veteran is receiving plenty of intention on the open market. The Arizona Cardinals hosted him for a visit Thursday and Friday, according to Kent Somers of AZCentral.com, but the two parties have yet to come to an agreement.

Cromartie is coming off a mediocre season in which he only racked up 35 combined tackles and three interceptions in 16 games, but he is a veteran of the NFL who has composure in unfavorable situations.

After being cut by New York, Cromartie took to Twitter to comment on the situation:

Arizona already has one of the most dynamic defensive backfields in the league with Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu, and the addition of a hard-hitting veteran like Cromartie would help the team reach the next level.

Whether the two teams can reach a deal will be the top storyline of the coming days.

Predicted Landing Spot: Arizona Cardinals

Cros tackling the last 2 years HAS really improved...I know its mind blowing, but it is true.

In all seriousness Walls doesn't suck

With all of the money being thrown around in FA don't you think another team would have signed Darrin Walls to start for them if they thought he was worth a sh*t?  Instead we signed him to a 2 yr. $1.9M contract.  He's depth.  He's not a starter.  Neither is Wilson.  He's a slot CB.  We have Milner and a black hole at the other CB.  The team either needs to sign someone (if anyone is even left at this point) or draft a CB.

Ras-I Dowling

Ellis Lankster

Dee Milliner

Johny Patrick

Lowell Rose

Darren Walls

Kyle Wilson

Outside of maybe drafting another do we really need anymore? Maybe Idzik told Rex you have 2 #1 draft picks make it work.

Yeah, but are their contracts structured like Aqib Talib's? If not, then I'm going to be really pissed!

Dowling was drafted - and released by the Patriots, I believe - and who knows DB's better than Belichick? Not many, so if he cut Dowling, old Ras-I better find his way to his next line of work.

It's amazing to me that Belichick apparently knows so much about defensive backs yet has consistently had one of the worst pass defenses every year for a while now.

The Jets will draft a CB with the 18th pick either Gilbert or Dennard watch and see. Remember joewilly12 said it.

Remember? How can we forget when you'll remind us 1000 times. If a CB is the BPA I have no issue with it, but I think we can draft one in a later round for depth and be fine.

The Jets will draft a CB with the 18th pick either Gilbert or Dennard watch and see. Remember joewilly12 said it.

If they go CB in the first round, it will be 3 times in 5 years they did that.

I think it could be the thing that would finally make me snap as a jet fan.

You could have Revis, Haden, and Sherman as your 3 corners and you're still not going to win anything.

Now if we went QB in the first round 3 out of 5 years until we found the right one, I wouldn't mind it.

Rex is an idiot, and is meant to be a DC and that is all.

If they go CB in the first round, it will be 3 times in 5 years they did that.

I think it could be the thing that would finally make me snap as a jet fan.

You could have Revis, Haden, and Sherman as your 3 corners and you're still not going to win anything.

Now if we went QB in the first round 3 out of 5 years until we found the right one, I wouldn't mind it.

Rex is an idiot, and is meant to be a DC and that is all.

Rex isn't running the show here isn't it quite obvious Revis to New England. This team is in the hands of John Idzik and Woody Johnson.

• Thumb Down 1

It's amazing to me that Belichick apparently knows so much about defensive backs yet has consistently had one of the worst pass defenses every year for a while now.

I was going to write something about this but I was on my phone and can only get through 1 sentence posts (not exactly my style).

He's had a crappy secondary for some time.  Pro bowl votes or not (since Patriots players used to get Belichick-association votes the closer it was to their last ring or even the undefeated* regular season).  There has been no shortage of draft picks and FAs brought in to man the unit.  And they've been pretty terrible for the most part.  So this acumen in judging CBs has led him to do what? To be Mike Tannenbaum, who probably figured he didn't know what he was doing and the chance of a bust is lower if you get the most expensive guys or trade up all the time.

Like it takes any genius to buy the highest-priced players.  What makes a GM (or director of player personnel or whatever) valuable is one who can find solid or better players all around without doing that.

With Idzik, a couple of key draft picks will either show to be bad picks or guys who will eventually be valuable (if not cornerstones of the franchise), and who just had a rocky rookie season, as most rookies would have if thrust into starter roles whether they were ready yet or not.

But grabbing the most expensive, and then the 7th-most expensive, CB in the NFL? This is EXACTLY what people here were ripping on Tannenbaum for.  I mean EXACTLY.  That you do NOT dump this kind of money on a pair of corners.  But then Belichick does it and it's smart.

Just for the record, Bill Belichick's genius in this regard, ultimately, is his realization that he should be following the footsteps of Mike Tannenbaum.  If that doesn't make him a freaking brilliant judge of CB talent then I don't know what does.

Ras I Dowling was the 33rd pick in the draft if he can stay healthy he could help this team.

If Rex can't get it done with two first rounders and a 3rd guy that practically is a first rounder. He needs to stop pretending to be a cb guru.

• Upvote 1

I for 1 don't see the desperate need for corners the media portrays. And have not heard Rex say there's a desperate need for corner.

Darrin Walls - young, motivated, he showed alot of good play last season. I'm excited to see how much he's improved, he said he has been working with a personal trainer this Offseason on his physically and going up to battle for the ball at the highest point.

Kyle Wilson - I don't understand why some fans come after his head when he consistently competes at a high level. He could possibly be the best nickle corner in the league. and has been a good corner whenever asked to play outside.

Dee Milliner - he has amazing upside & potential. Rex said his early errors were technique, well what would you expect from a guy who was thought of a top 5 pick who didn't even know how to back pedal. He showed signs late but I'm sure by preseason he will be far better.

Truth is safety is our major issue, Revis made there jobs easier, when he left we had a pro bowler in Laron Landry and a underrated yeremiah bell.

With better safety play, we could be a better secondary. I wanted Byrd but no crying over spilled milk. Hoping we can get ha ha now.