What exactly IS Idzik's FA plan?

MexiRoll6

You are supposed to fill holes in FA and build depth through the draft, but thusfar in free agency our fearful GM has been scared to spend any money. I don't advocate throwing good money after bad, but please Iggy DO SOMETHING. Show the fan base there IS a plan here and not just random throwing of darts at a board and then deciding to try again when you don't like where it lands.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are supposed to fill holes in FA and build depth through the draft, but thusfar in free agency our fearful GM has been scared to spend any money. I don't advocate throwing good money after bad, but please Iggy DO SOMETHING. Show the fan base there IS a plan here and not just random throwing of darts at a board and then deciding to try again when you don't like where it lands.

Other than Decker and the Seahawks OL, List the other players he should have signed and at what price?

You can't fill 8 holes with three free agents that will be on the books for 3-5 years. Which has the beautiful side effect of ******* your cap up so you can't improve in future offseasons.

Tanny did this and we loved the splash/bragging rights of FA week, but we were in Cap Hell for a few years and couldnt do crap to improve team or draft many kids and then keep them in fold w/renewed contracts w/available cap money. Folks forget smart GMs use most of Cap money to renegotiate current players before they hit FA year and cost a ton

Other than Decker and the Seahawks OL, List the other players he should have signed and at what price?

Not letting Pettigrew get away would have been a positive. He could have been a nice red zone weapon and 4-mil per is NOT exactly breaking the bank. I would have liked to see Revis back - as would Rex I am sure - not to mention an offensive lineman or two. Breno Giacomini is not an upgrade over Howard. As I said, I don't advocate throwing good money after bad players, but you have to identify the bad ones right off. Tanny DID overspend on mostly Jets FA's (Revis) and QB's that weren't even FA's yet (Sanchez).

IMO the plan has been side tracked a bit.  Not a failure, but as yet luke warm.

I think Idzik misguessed the value of OL in this FA market, and the speed at which they were signed.  First couple of hours a lot of the  good OL were gone.

He signed a player he was familiar with.  Steady but nothing special.  Lateral move.  Imo they should have signed Revis.  They are either going to pay close to 10 mil for a player not as good, or go into the season with a weak secondary.  I don't think this is so much on Idizk as it is on Woody.  He just wasn't ever going to sign Revis another check.  I understand why.

Decker was a good signing.  Think they paid a bit to much, but still a good signing.  They still have tons of money left, and still can fill a bunch of the holes before the draft.   They won't be super stars, but hopefully they will be at starter level.

What Edzik does here in FA, and the draft, is going to determine his future as the Jets GM, and the Jets future.   A true competition has to be created for Smith at QB.  I only see two players who can do that, and neither is very popular with Jets fans.  Vick or Sanchez

You can't fill 8 holes with three free agents that will be on the books for 3-5 years. Which has the beautiful side effect of ******* your cap up so you can't improve in future offseasons.

No, of course not. You can fill 3 holes with 3 free agents, then fill the remaining 5 with draft picks. What's the harm in that again? Are we really at risk of "****** our cap up" when we have about $40M to work with?

face it jets fans

there was no reggie white to go after this year

build through the draft

I don't know about you, but I'm not pumped at the idea of running Brian Winters, some rookie draft pick and Breno Giacomini out on our offensive line every week. 3 OL you can't trust.

Build through the draft, indeed. But there's no reason why we can't plug a few holes here and there.

Not letting Pettigrew get away would have been a positive. He could have been a nice red zone weapon and 4-mil per is NOT exactly breaking the bank. I would have liked to see Revis back - as would Rex I am sure - not to mention an offensive lineman or two. Breno Giacomini is not an upgrade over Howard. As I said, I don't advocate throwing good money after bad players, but you have to identify the bad ones right off. Tanny DID overspend on mostly Jets FA's (Revis) and QB's that weren't even FA's yet (Sanchez).

Pettigrew sucks,IMO. Glad the deal fell through.

No, of course not. You can fill 3 holes with 3 free agents, then fill the remaining 5 with draft picks. What's the harm in that again? Are we really at risk of "****** our cap up" when we have about $40M to work with?

Are we signing a bunch of 1 year deals? Yes we are at risk and you're being shortsighted. What happens three years from now when our core is up for free agency and we still have old clowns like revis and ware on the books for 25m? There goes mowilk. Bye bye Sheldon.

I don't know about you, but I'm not pumped at the idea of running Brian Winters, some rookie draft pick and Breno Giacomini out on our offensive line every week. 3 OL you can't trust.

Build through the draft, indeed. But there's no reason why we can't plug a few holes here and there.

why on gods (kinda) green earth would you make any assumptions about the opening day roster on march 15th ?

He's spent a nice amount of money in the less than 7 days of free agency. Ask Nick Folk, Leger Douzable, Eric Decker, Breno Giacomini. In the first 5 days of free agency he's solidified the kicking spot, resigned depth to the D-line, upgraded the right side of our O-line for less money and added a WR that has had success running the entire route tree. To add, he currently has the 4th best cover corner in 2013 on the east coast showing him the facility and selling him this fanbase and culture. 

Idzik isnt scared money, he's smart money. 

He's spent a nice amount of money in the less than 7 days of free agency. Ask Nick Folk, Leger Douzable, Eric Decker, Breno Giacomini. In the first 5 days of free agency he's solidified the kicking spot, resigned depth to the D-line, upgraded the right side of our O-line for less money and added a WR that has had success running the entire route tree. To add, he currently has the 4th best cover corner in 2013 on the east coast showing him the facility and selling him this fanbase and culture. 

upgraded the right side of our O-line---- I think you're stretching the truth for the sake of your argument. He is NOT an upgrade. Cheaper = Yes... Better?=No

and selling him this fanbase and culture. ----- Too bad.... I thought we had a chance to sign him, before you mentioned that!!

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 4m
The #Seahawks were going to cut Zach Miller. Instead, he stays 2 more years for the chance to make $8M. He will earn a $1.65M roster bonus

Another one bites the dust.

good post, ,like I've said cap money is for more than FA's.. its MAINLY for inhouse proven commodities

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 4m

The #Seahawks were going to cut Zach Miller. Instead, he stays 2 more years for the chance to make $8M. He will earn a $1.65M roster bonus

Another one bites the dust.

Please don't tell us it's The Wizard of Id's fault. I'm really not worried about the TE position. Or the guards. Players do grow and get better.

upgraded the right side of our O-line---- I think you're stretching the truth for the sake of your argument. He is NOT an upgrade. Cheaper = Yes... Better?=No

and selling him this fanbase and culture. ----- Too bad.... I thought we had a chance to sign him, before you mentioned that!!

Pro football focus has Giacomini as about even in the passing game but a better run blocker than Howard. Match that with the cheaper contract then I see an upgrade here. And if you dont see it that way then I'll even agree with you that he's as good as Howard, but not worse so we didnt go backwards with the position. 

Idzik is changing the culture and I seen it last year. I didnt see Santonio holmes lashing out in interviews though in some interviews you seen that Holmes was obviously annoyed at something, Rex Ryan, the most animated person in the building on any given day was even reserved and more professional if you will. 

Not saying that DRC will be a Jet, there are rumors that he will also see the Giants, but with Decker here and Cromartie being his cousin you never know. 

villain, not to offend you in the least bit at all, but  there is huge room for debate here. nick folk, was a good signing. however he was already under contract for this year, regardless. leger douzable was another smart signing and am very happy it got done. didn't hear 1 report of any interest whatsoever from another team. eric decker, another good signing at a much needed position.one could argue that without even an offer from Denver, that new York made a lot of sense for decker, not for football but for his/wife celebrity status. to say that the jets upgraded the right side of the oline, some would say that that is your biggest stretch. you want to call it a lateral move, even that's debatable, but injury and continuity concerns should also play a factor. not to mention,most likely, starting a new right guard. could work out just fine, could be a colossal disaster. drc might have been the 4th rated cover corner last year on a super bowl team, but what about his other 5 years in the league? lots of red flags on this guy. wants big $$, reportedly plays when he wants, mentioned retirement, etc. I would not count that signing as in the bag just yet.

Revis or Verner and Byrd for the Defense and Nicks and Howard for the offense team drastically improved and money to spare with Sanchez still under contract.

Revis or Verner and Byrd for the Defense and Nicks and Howard for the offense team drastically improved and money to spare with Sanchez still under contract.

If we needed a JN poster to be GM, you would literally be the last one picked.

good post, ,like I've said cap money is for more than FA's.. its MAINLY for inhouse proven commodities

Some of us dont get that. They dont see that Leger Douzable's resigning with us is great, especially with him putting a performance together last year that could have garnered a starting opportunity at another team. 

Nick Folk has more than deserved this contract. How many game winners has he kick for us since he's been here? He's even shoved it to his old Cowboy team a couple years back. 

When we're ready to give Wilkerson a new contract we will have the money available given how responsible Idzik is in this FA process right now. 

Pro football focus has Giacomini as about even in the passing game but a better run blocker than Howard. Match that with the cheaper contract then I see an upgrade here. And if you dont see it that way then I'll even agree with you that he's as good as Howard, but not worse so we didnt go backwards with the position. 

Idzik is changing the culture and I seen it last year. I didnt see Santonio holmes lashing out in interviews though in some interviews you seen that Holmes was obviously annoyed at something, Rex Ryan, the most animated person in the building on any given day was even reserved and more professional if you will. 

Not saying that DRC will be a Jet, there are rumors that he will also see the Giants, but with Decker here and Cromartie being his cousin you never know. 

Yeah, I saw their grading of the 2... it was a Fractional difference. Regardless, we got an equal player at a reduced cost... C+ Idzik

Changing the culture is the biggest thing I've noticed to date. Rex's bloviating has been reduced, no more "leaks" to Manish, "cancers" have been removed...A+

Did a good job with a bad situation last year... B

FA, so far= C

Listen, I like Idzik and hope above all hope he succeeds... he's learning on the job and I respect that. I do hope, however, that he has some "cojones" when it comes to sticking his neck out and not always playing it safe.

Do I want Byrd on this team this year and next?  Sure.  Do I want Byrd on this team for years 4-6 at a 9M cap number?  Absolutely not.  Do I want that kind of cap hit when we cut him?  No.

Same goes for a lot of these players.  Idzik is not mortgaging our future while there's still tremendous uncertainty at the QB position and we're not a FS (or a FS and Revis) away from a championship.

Do I want Byrd on this team this year and next?  Sure.  Do I want Byrd on this team for years 4-6 at a 9M cap number?  Absolutely not.  Do I want that kind of cap hit when we cut him?  No.

Same goes for a lot of these players.  Idzik is not mortgaging our future while there's still tremendous uncertainty at the QB position and we're not a FS (or a FS and Revis) away from a championship.

You do realize there are ways to structure a contract to avoid these problems down the road, right?

villain, not to offend you in the least bit at all, but  there is huge room for debate here. nick folk, was a good signing. however he was already under contract for this year, regardless. leger douzable was another smart signing and am very happy it got done. didn't hear 1 report of any interest whatsoever from another team. eric decker, another good signing at a much needed position.one could argue that without even an offer from Denver, that new York made a lot of sense for decker, not for football but for his/wife celebrity status. to say that the jets upgraded the right side of the oline, some would say that that is your biggest stretch. you want to call it a lateral move, even that's debatable, but injury and continuity concerns should also play a factor. not to mention,most likely, starting a new right guard. could work out just fine, could be a colossal disaster. drc might have been the 4th rated cover corner last year on a super bowl team, but what about his other 5 years in the league? lots of red flags on this guy. wants big $$, reportedly plays when he wants, mentioned retirement, etc. I would not count that signing as in the bag just yet.

Im offended! 

lol. 

Some could argue alot of things. I cant do anything about that. Folk was franchised because Idzik wanted time to work out a deal without other teams tampering. We didn't hear any talk involving Leger Douzable probably because it was the first days of FA. Lets be serious here. Ware was cut, Revis was cut, Cromartie was cut etc. We didnt hear alot about Rodgers-Cromartie either though he was the 4th best cover corner in the league last year. My point here is that not every free agent is going to get attention within the first 5 days of free agency. Its not like we resigned Douzable after the draft and he's been sitting waiting for a team to recognize him for 2 months.

As for my biggest stretch, Im going off the PFF ratings and the fact that he was the starting RT of a superbowl team that just blew out the Denver Broncos. I know he's missed some games, but it seems to me that he was trusted in the seahawks running attack as well as to protect Wilson.  

As for DRC, I remember Cromartie being a "red flag" after he didnt attempt to tackle Shonn Greene in the playoff games. Now the lens it turned on DRC a man who had a very good season for the Broncos playing man coverage, a guy who had horrible time for the Eagles playing zone coverage in the slot. Sounds to me like DRC is a man cover corner and isnt good at zone. That situation reminds me of when Kurt Warner had all these red flags coming from the Giants to Arizona given his terrible stretch as a Giant. Come to find out that he didnt fit their system and when he got back to a system that worked for him he went back to being that hall of fame type QB. There's no red flags for DRC unless you run a zone based defensive scheme. If you run man coverage then ignore the flags. Lastly, a man that talks retirement is a man who hasnt retired. As for the rap on him playing when he wants, he's had success in the regular season and post season playing in two superbowls. I'll leave that part up for Idzik to make a decision on. 

Archived