What exactly IS Idzik's FA plan?

MexiRoll6

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which players are we talking about that are signing the bigger deals that teams can easily get away from after 2-3 years?

Aqib Talib (DEN)

Contract Details

Six-year contract worth $57 million. Talib received $11.5 million in fully guaranteed salary. The full guarantee is made up of a $5 million signing bonus, $2 million 2014 roster bonus, and $4.5 million 2014 base salary. His 2015 and 2016 base salaries are both guaranteed for injury only and will become fully guaranteed if he is on the roster on the 3rd day of that respective league year. He has $500,000 roster bonuses paid for games active in the first three years of the contract. Base salaries are $4,500,000(2014), $5,500,000(2015), $8,500,000(2016), $11,000,000(2017), $11,000,000(2018), and $8,000,000(2019).

Contract Analysis

Here’s a prime example of the media often overstating the guaranteed money in contracts.  Contrary to reports, Talib received $11.5 million in fully guaranteed salary. Given Denver’s situation, there is a legitimate chance that this ends up being a one-year deal. And given the $7 million in cap savings that gets credited to Denver if they part ways with Talib after 2015, I’d be surprised if he remains a Bronco for more than two seasons. 

PFF Analysis

Vontae Davis (IND)

Contract Details

Four-year contract worth $36 million. Davis received $15 million in fully guarantees and another $5 million in partial guarantees. The fully guarantee is comprised of a $ 5 million signing bonus, $5 million 2014 base salary, and $5 million of his 2015 roster bonus. If he is on the roster the 5th day of the 2015 League Year he will fully guarantee another $5 million of his contract. Davis can earn up to $3 million in performance escalators which are available in the final two years of his contract.

Contract Analysis

Because $5 million of Davis’ $6 million 2015 roster bonus is guaranteed, this reads like a two-year deal worth $20 million. Davis, who has been inconsistent in his career thus far, has $7 million and $9 million base salaries in 2016 and 2017, respectively. With only $2,500,000 in dead money associated with the deal in 2016, Davis will have to continue to perform at a high level to earn all $36 million.

Alterraun Verner (TB)

Contract Details

Four-year contract worth $25.5 million. Verner will earn $8 million in 2014, all of which is fully guaranteed. In 2015 he has $4 million guaranteed for injury only. This money will become fully guaranteed if Verner is on the roster on the fifth day of the 2015 League Year. In 2016 he has a $2 million guarantee that will become fully guaranteed in 2016. He can earn $250,000 for each year he is selected to the Pro Bowl. Base salaries of the contract are $5,000,000(2014), $4,250,000(2015), $6,750,000(2016), and $6,500,000(2017)

Contract Analysis

Darrelle Revis’ replacement, Verner’s contract is front-loaded. With the use of a roster bonus and no signing bonus, Tampa Bay can part ways with Verner after 2014 with no cost (his 2015 salary is guaranteed for just injury). The $8 million he’ll be paid this coming year is 31% of the contract’s total value. Verner won’t turn 26 until December, so chances are he’ll play out this entire deal. The Bucs got great value here.

Linval Joseph (MIN)

Contract Details

Five-year contract worth $31.25 million. The deal contains $12.5 million in fully guaranteed money, made up of a $3 million signing bonus, $2.4 million roster bonus, $2014 base salary, and $3.6 million of his 2015 base salary. Base salaries of the contract are $3,500,000(2014), $3,900,000(2015), $5,650,000(2016), $6,150,000(2017), and $5,150,000(2018).

Contract Analysis

This deal, which makes Joseph the NFL’s 11th highest paid defensive tackle in terms of average salary, is basically a two-year/$13 million deal (or $12.8 million if Joseph skips OTA’s). His dead money amount decreases from $6 million in 2015 to $1.8 million in 2016, so the Vikings will be free to cut him after the two years. Minnesota will then be able to evaluate on a year-to-year basis as to whether Joseph is worth a $6-$7 million cap hit each year.

http://overthecap.com/otcpff-continuously-updated-free-agent-analysis/

Which players are we talking about that are signing the bigger deals that teams can easily get away from after 2-3 years?

You're awfully quiet after my FA contract post! Maybe you are starting to see it my way?

Welcome aboard!

You want to pay Pettigrew 5 million dollars for what bro? Cumberland had arguably better numbers than Pettigrew last season and Pettigrew never once cracked the 800 rec. yards mark as a TE. 5 million....seriously? This would be one of those wreckless signings that the Jets need to stay away from. Pettigrew caught 40 passes for 400 yards and 2 TD's in 14 games. You want to pay 5 million for a guy who averaged less than 30 rec yards a game last year? Mind you this is a guy who has the most dangerously explosive WR in the NFL in Megatron taking away attention. 5 million....thats laughable. 

TJ Ward is a strong safety, though better than the SS we have now, our concern is getting a FS. I'd prefer to save that 5 mill and develop Antonio Allen even more. Allen was having a really good season imo last year before the signing of Ed Reed interrupted things. And Antonio Allen has shown that he can cover top tier TE's. 

I would have liked Schwartz at 4 mill.

Pettigrew is an all around TE, very good blocker. I think he still has the skill-set to be a star, might've just needed a change of scenery.

You are supposed to fill holes in FA and build depth through the draft, but thusfar in free agency our fearful GM has been scared to spend any money. I don't advocate throwing good money after bad, but please Iggy DO SOMETHING. Show the fan base there IS a plan here and not just random throwing of darts at a board and then deciding to try again when you don't like where it lands.

Finally, someone with some sense makes a post. Idzik's asleep at the wheel apparently driving on the bridge to no where.

So far, the Jets have not improved over last season, sure they added decker, but outside of that, they still need to sign a CB to break even with losing Cro.

Pettigrew is an all around TE, very good blocker. I think he still has the skill-set to be a star, might've just needed a change of scenery.

I agree that he's a better all around TE. He doesnt need to come off the field on running plays and because of that doesnt tip off the defense that its a pass play given that he's on the field. My problem was 5 million a year. His numbers dont lie, and for 5 million I'd prefer to keep that money and work with Cumberland. Cumberland has a skillset as well, albeit more geared to the passing game but you can teach a guy technique in the blocking game as well. 

BS? Pettigrew was ranked the 55th TE on PFF. And when has safety EVER been an important piece for this defense?

I am not heart broken over Pettigrew, to say the least. as for the safety, the only time I can think of is when they had the number 1 defense in the league

If he couldn't become a star with Megatron hogging all the attention in the red zone, no f***ing way he becomes a star anywhere else.

Why did Verner not fit our defense?

in much the same way the experts said Sheldon Richardson didn't fit out defense. verner was asked to play more zone coverage than man coverage. idzik thought he fit the defensive system as he was looking to sign him

Exactly. Why dont we put Cumberland and his 4 TD's on the bench so Pettigrew can display those 2 awesome TD's

You put Cumberland on a team with stafford megatron Reggie bush and a defense allows points and he would have TE1 numbers. Honestly think he is underrated on here which is rare because jets fans tend to grossly overestimate their own players. He has worst statistical qb in league throwing to him last year. We can disagree whether geno will improve or not but 2013 is a fact

Aqib Talib (DEN)

Contract Details

Six-year contract worth $57 million. Talib received $11.5 million in fully guaranteed salary. The full guarantee is made up of a $5 million signing bonus, $2 million 2014 roster bonus, and $4.5 million 2014 base salary. His 2015 and 2016 base salaries are both guaranteed for injury only and will become fully guaranteed if he is on the roster on the 3rd day of that respective league year. He has $500,000 roster bonuses paid for games active in the first three years of the contract. Base salaries are $4,500,000(2014), $5,500,000(2015), $8,500,000(2016), $11,000,000(2017), $11,000,000(2018), and $8,000,000(2019).

Contract Analysis

Here’s a prime example of the media often overstating the guaranteed money in contracts.  Contrary to reports, Talib received $11.5 million in fully guaranteed salary. Given Denver’s situation, there is a legitimate chance that this ends up being a one-year deal. And given the $7 million in cap savings that gets credited to Denver if they part ways with Talib after 2015, I’d be surprised if he remains a Bronco for more than two seasons. 

PFF Analysis

Vontae Davis (IND)

Contract Details

Four-year contract worth $36 million. Davis received $15 million in fully guarantees and another $5 million in partial guarantees. The fully guarantee is comprised of a $ 5 million signing bonus, $5 million 2014 base salary, and $5 million of his 2015 roster bonus. If he is on the roster the 5th day of the 2015 League Year he will fully guarantee another $5 million of his contract. Davis can earn up to $3 million in performance escalators which are available in the final two years of his contract.

Contract Analysis

Because $5 million of Davis’ $6 million 2015 roster bonus is guaranteed, this reads like a two-year deal worth $20 million. Davis, who has been inconsistent in his career thus far, has $7 million and $9 million base salaries in 2016 and 2017, respectively. With only $2,500,000 in dead money associated with the deal in 2016, Davis will have to continue to perform at a high level to earn all $36 million.

Alterraun Verner (TB)

Contract Details

Four-year contract worth $25.5 million. Verner will earn $8 million in 2014, all of which is fully guaranteed. In 2015 he has $4 million guaranteed for injury only. This money will become fully guaranteed if Verner is on the roster on the fifth day of the 2015 League Year. In 2016 he has a $2 million guarantee that will become fully guaranteed in 2016. He can earn $250,000 for each year he is selected to the Pro Bowl. Base salaries of the contract are $5,000,000(2014), $4,250,000(2015), $6,750,000(2016), and $6,500,000(2017)

Contract Analysis

Darrelle Revis’ replacement, Verner’s contract is front-loaded. With the use of a roster bonus and no signing bonus, Tampa Bay can part ways with Verner after 2014 with no cost (his 2015 salary is guaranteed for just injury). The $8 million he’ll be paid this coming year is 31% of the contract’s total value. Verner won’t turn 26 until December, so chances are he’ll play out this entire deal. The Bucs got great value here.

Linval Joseph (MIN)

Contract Details

Five-year contract worth $31.25 million. The deal contains $12.5 million in fully guaranteed money, made up of a $3 million signing bonus, $2.4 million roster bonus, $2014 base salary, and $3.6 million of his 2015 base salary. Base salaries of the contract are $3,500,000(2014), $3,900,000(2015), $5,650,000(2016), $6,150,000(2017), and $5,150,000(2018).

Contract Analysis

This deal, which makes Joseph the NFL’s 11th highest paid defensive tackle in terms of average salary, is basically a two-year/$13 million deal (or $12.8 million if Joseph skips OTA’s). His dead money amount decreases from $6 million in 2015 to $1.8 million in 2016, so the Vikings will be free to cut him after the two years. Minnesota will then be able to evaluate on a year-to-year basis as to whether Joseph is worth a $6-$7 million cap hit each year.

http://overthecap.com/otcpff-continuously-updated-free-agent-analysis/

Ok, yes, they can get away from them... I guess more deals are being done with roster bonuses.  But this all does not come without paying a premium for them early on and still a lot of money later if you do want to keep them.  And with year one being a year where the Jets are not contenders, most of this is throwing good money after bad.

You're awfully quiet after my FA contract post! Maybe you are starting to see it my way?

Welcome aboard!

My apologies for having a life outside of JetNation.

He's spent a nice amount of money in the less than 7 days of free agency. Ask Nick Folk, Leger Douzable, Eric Decker, Breno Giacomini. In the first 5 days of free agency he's solidified the kicking spot, resigned depth to the D-line, upgraded the right side of our O-line for less money and added a WR that has had success running the entire route tree. To add, he currently has the 4th best cover corner in 2013 on the east coast showing him the facility and selling him this fanbase and culture. 

Idzik isnt scared money, he's smart money. 

If you are talking about Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, he ALSO went to the bathroom and is NOT likely coming back. Watch him sign with the G-Men for about what it would have cost for Revis. Woody and Idzik have their heads up their collective asses. Idzik DID INDEED misjudge FA and how quickly the good ones get gobbled up. Now he sits with a boat load of money but NO ONE that is worth giving it to.

If he couldn't become a star with Megatron hogging all the attention in the red zone, no f***ing way he becomes a star anywhere else.

Megatron hogging the ball is EXACTLY the reason Pettigrew is not yet a star. I am not all that upset about him walking, but not signing Revis is unforgivable, regardless of how things ended in his trade. Now NE is upgraded and STILL has spent more than the Jets even though they had far less money. Cap hell may be in their future but by that time Brady will be gone and the Pats will go back to being a joke.

Maybe Idzik is waiting for cap casualties I read somewhere that Jonathan Joseph CB and DeSean Jackson WR could be on that list who knows?

Maybe is NOT a word I like very much. He had the chance to solidify the Jets secondary with Revis, which would have made them a top-5 defense next year for sure. He and Woody let personal differences get in the way and that is something you can't do. I don't see an OL or a DB worth giving FA money to, so right now are the Jets better than last year? No. And BTW what is he doing with Sanchez? Is he keeping him? There is talk that the Jets might just keep the turnover machine as a backup. What other team in the NFL has a backup QB making 12-mil a year? Only the Jets.

Maybe is NOT a word I like very much. He had the chance to solidify the Jets secondary with Revis, which would have made them a top-5 defense next year for sure. He and Woody let personal differences get in the way and that is something you can't do. I don't see an OL or a DB worth giving FA money to, so right now are the Jets better than last year? No. And BTW what is he doing with Sanchez? Is he keeping him? There is talk that the Jets might just keep the turnover machine as a backup. What other team in the NFL has a backup QB making 12-mil a year? Only the Jets.

This team never fails to disappoint its fans if it isn't on the field its off the field. Idzik is not the answer at GM. The Revis debacle is proof. The Sanchez story unless cut will truly make us the laughing stock of the NFL for another season.

If you are talking about Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, he ALSO went to the bathroom and is NOT likely coming back. Watch him sign with the G-Men for about what it would have cost for Revis. Woody and Idzik have their heads up their collective asses. Idzik DID INDEED misjudge FA and how quickly the good ones get gobbled up. Now he sits with a boat load of money but NO ONE that is worth giving it to.

The expensive ones arent necessarily the good ones. You guys think too short term. If DRC signs with the Giants for as much as it would have cost for Revis then the Giants just got salary cap rapped because DRC isnt nearly as good as Revis. Also, Revis is a Mercenary football player. He'll sign with any team as long as they're the higest bidder. 2 years 32 million is a contract given when you believe you're a piece away from the chip. You as a Jets GM do not give that contract out when you still have holes and depth issues, and you certainly dont give such a revis contract to DRC. 

Like I said on another post, lets wait to see what the final 53 man roster looks like before we start saying that the front office misjudged or fell asleep at the wheel. 

Ok, yes, they can get away from them... I guess more deals are being done with roster bonuses. But this all does not come without paying a premium for them early on and still a lot of money later if you do want to keep them. And with year one being a year where the Jets are not contenders, most of this is throwing good money after bad.

My apologies for having a life outside of JetNation.

When you come on as strong and confident as you did, a but of humility would serve you well when you are proved flat out wrong.

I've been wondering for a while now what's so great about TJ Ward. 

He's legit, Gato.  

Good size, and can cover a good amount of ground for a thumper.  He's a (very) willing tackler and he gets ints, sacks, forced fumbles and pd's.

Why is everyone the jets sign a good deal and all the other deals a terriable deal? Just remember all FA contracts just make the price go higher next year . So if u don't adjust idk what to tell you . I still think they got sticker shock and didn't realize how teams had more money then we thought . If ur they only one out there u can low ball but when there's other teams u need to move with the market . They seemed to want lafell he got 3 for 11 over priced yes but not going to break the cap. You can draw a line in the sand all you want but they all will go where the get paid the most

Why is everyone the jets sign a good deal and all the other deals a terriable deal? Just remember all FA contracts just make the price go higher next year . So if u don't adjust idk what to tell you . I still think they got sticker shock and didn't realize how teams had more money then we thought . If ur they only one out there u can low ball but when there's other teams u need to move with the market . They seemed to want lafell he got 3 for 11 over priced yes but not going to break the cap. You can draw a line in the sand all you want but they all will go where the get paid the most

Because Idzik has won six SBs prior to coming to the Jets, so his moves, and moves he does not make, must be brilliant. Keep up.

When you come on as strong and confident as you did, a but of humility would serve you well when you are proved flat out wrong.

Did I not admit I was wrong about getting away from the deals?

Having said that, I'm very comfortable with the idea that none of those deals were good ones for the 2014 Jets.

Archived