What exactly IS Idzik's FA plan?

MexiRoll6

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idzik most certainly must have something up his sleeve either he knows about a few players that are going to get released or he makes a trade or he flat out sucks as a GM.

That, or big money for big names is your philosophy and not his.

Not letting Pettigrew get away would have been a positive. He could have been a nice red zone weapon and 4-mil per is NOT exactly breaking the bank. I would have liked to see Revis back - as would Rex I am sure - not to mention an offensive lineman or two. Breno Giacomini is not an upgrade over Howard. As I said, I don't advocate throwing good money after bad players, but you have to identify the bad ones right off. Tanny DID overspend on mostly Jets FA's (Revis) and QB's that weren't even FA's yet (Sanchez).

I think it is fairly safe to say that Rex will never be a general manager.  So who he would have killed for a player has nothing to do with general managing.  Rex worries about winning his next game.  Idzik wants to win and then keep winning year in and year out.  That is his job.  To provide the correct players and the correct cap situation for Rex to succeed on a long term basis

My philosophy is to improve this team I would hope his is too.

Yes.  But your philosophy is the one that led to us needing to dismantle the roster and in cap hell these last years.

Maybe if Sanchez wasn't horrendous, that philosophy would have worked.  And, we did big money for big names when a good foundation was already in place.  We don't have that now.  Are there players that would have made us better that we could have afforded, seemingly.  Are there players that would have made us a championship contender next year, very unlikely.

Yes.  But your philosophy is the one that led to us needing to dismantle the roster and in cap hell these last years.

Maybe if Sanchez wasn't horrendous, that philosophy would have worked.  And, we did big money for big names when a good foundation was already in place.  We don't have that now.  Are there players that would have made us better that we could have afforded, seemingly.  Are there players that would have made us a championship contender next year, very unlikely.

I would agree with you but the fact we had all that cap money to spend including Sanchez money and we didn't do much of anything. Are we really a better team right now than we were last year?

I would agree with you but the fact we had all that cap money to spend including Sanchez money and we didn't do much of anything. Are we really a better team right now than we were last year?

Yes, we actually are.  Just not as "better" as you'd like.

Cromartie, based on last years performance, is actually addition by subtraction... Literally... Ranked as one of the worst in the league.

Howard for Gia-whatever is at worst a push.

Decker >>>>>>>>> Holmes who barely played.

Geno will *hopefully* be better, as some QBs actually do improve, we just don't want to believe it because, Sanchez.

The important core is intact.  Free agency is not over.  We are undoubtedly better now than we were last year.

Just because you have the money, doesn't mean you should use it.  The day after you get your paycheck, do you go and blow it all?  Or, do you think long term?  In other words, again, just because we have the money available does not mean that we should make bad decisions.  We've got plenty of draft picks and plenty of time.  Lets grow a team the right way and not worry about sneaking out 2 more wins this year, because unless you for some reason believe differently, we're not a Super Bowl contender with or without Byrd.

Yes, we actually are.  Just not as "better" as you'd like.

Cromartie, based on last years performance, is actually addition by subtraction... Literally... Ranked as one of the worst in the league.

Howard for Gia-whatever is at worst a push.

Decker >>>>>>>>> Holmes who barely played.

Geno will *hopefully* be better, as some QBs actually do improve, we just don't want to believe it because, Sanchez.

The important core is intact.  Free agency is not over.  We are undoubtedly better now than we were last year.

Just because you have the money, doesn't mean you should use it.  The day after you get your paycheck, do you go and blow it all?  Or, do you think long term?  In other words, again, just because we have the money available does not mean that we should make bad decisions.  We've got plenty of draft picks and plenty of time.  Lets grow a team the right way and not worry about sneaking out 2 more wins this year, because unless you for some reason believe differently, we're not a Super Bowl contender with or without Byrd.

According to you we are better we have a gaping hole at CB who replaces Pace? Who are the starting Safetys?  Our WRs sucked worst in the NFL we signed 1 Decker if Giacomini was good why Super Bowl Champions Seattle allow him to walk?  RB is weak Ivory is great when hes healthy,Powell hasn't impressed me yet then who?  Goodson,Green?    Why not add Johnson or Blount? Who returns kicks and punts?  The facts that we haven't improved much.

Tony Gonzales is retired that site is bogus.

site is correct,,gonzalez never filed retirement papers w/NFL which is why Falcons had to release him 4 days ago..he is technically a FA now. Will he play, nahh, but site like that have no choice but to list players who are active. when Tony files his papers w/NFLPA I'm sure site will take his name off

According to you we are better we have a gaping hole at CB who replaces Pace? Who are the starting Safetys?  Our WRs sucked worst in the NFL we signed 1 Decker if Giacomini was good why Super Bowl Champions Seattle allow him to walk?  RB is weak Ivory is great when hes healthy,Powell hasn't impressed me yet then who?  Goodson,Green?    Why not add Johnson or Blount? Who returns kicks and punts?  The facts that we haven't improved much.

1) We still have 2 first round picks at the position and still have DRC on the radar and can draft another CB.  Push.

2) Pace in all likelihood replaces Pace.  He's still out there.  We didn't sign him right away last offseason either.

3) The same as they were last year, with the opportunity to improve through the draft, rather than spending big money on the position.  Push at worst.

4) So, you admit we improved at WR.

5) As for Giacomini, I guess you would make the exact same argument about Talib, Byrd, Verner, Revis, etc.  If any of these players were good why were they allowed to walk?  If Austin Howard was good, why did the Jets let him walk?  The point is, at worst, we are not worse at RT, and according to most scouting reports, we are better.

6) I'm very comfortable with our RBs, and there wasn't one available that I thought was an obvious upgrade.  We could use someone to catch passes out of the backfield, and we can probably get that in the 4th round, rather than overpaying.  Having said that, again, not a position we are worse at.  I also think Goodson if on the field, can contribute.

7) You've changed from "haven't improved" to "haven't improved much" which brings me back to my original point.

Tony Gonzales is retired that site is bogus.

There are a lot of inaccuracies.  Players will get extended, some will retire, some may sustain career-altering injuries. etc. etc.  But I guarantee that GMs know what the 2015 FA class looks like.  Generally speaking, it would be a good free agent market to target a WR, TE or edge rusher. 

There are a lot of inaccuracies.  Players will get extended, some will retire, some may sustain career-altering injuries. etc. etc.  But I guarantee that GMs know what the 2015 FA class looks like.  Generally speaking, it would be a good free agent market to target a WR, TE or edge rusher. 

What was I thinking?  I always thought teams prepare to win now. I didn't know the Jets are on the plan of winning in the future whenever that may be.

What was I thinking? I always thought teams prepare to win now. I didn't know the Jets are on the plan of winning in the future whenever that may be.

Win now? Lmao. You're delusional if you think the Jets can compete for a superbowl year two of a rebuild. The Jets can pull a Tannenbaum and go all in this year and win nothing and **** themselves in three years.

Or,

They can keep building a base and set themselves up to improve year by year while maintaining cap flexibility. ****, we can push 40m into next years cap and sign every free agent.

Win now? Lmao. You're delusional if you think the Jets can compete for a superbowl year two of a rebuild. The Jets can pull a Tannenbaum and go all in this year and win nothing and **** themselves in three years.

Or,

They can keep building a base and set themselves up to improve year by year while maintaining cap flexibility. ****, we can push 40m into next years cap and sign every free agent.

45 years and counting.....................yes I sound like a broken record. 

So you're saying at the beginning of the season the ultimate goal isn't the Super Bowl? 

What was I thinking?  I always thought teams prepare to win now. I didn't know the Jets are on the plan of winning in the future whenever that may be.

You have to suffer a little bit to become an organization that consistently puts a strong product on the field.

Because Idzik is from the Seahawks, everyone looks in that direction, but I think the team we should really look at is the Steerers, and I think we are building to become like them.  No big second contract splashes.  No headlines, just consistently a competitive team who lets guys go when someone is willing to outbid them and has a next man up philosophy.  Unfortunately, this change doesn't happen immediately.  But, I'm willing to be patient if it means we don't have to do, as Arsis points out above, what we're doing right now every couple of seasons when our All-In moves don't work.

Burger King sold tacos in the early 2000's. Just cause you're in the mood for mexican food didn't make the taco better. 

45 years isn't suffering enough? Bad drafts? PSLs? Inept coaches?    Wow 

You keep saying this like it changes anything.

Which of these moves that you've pointed out wins us the Super Bowl?  That's the criteria by which you'll end the suffering, in your own words.

So, what is the offseason plan that wins us the Superbowl XLIX?  Remember, anything short of that is just more suffering!

Burger King sold tacos in the early 2000's. Just cause you're in the mood for mexican food didn't make the taco better. 

They did?  But they didn't stop selling burgers the money maker did they?

You keep saying this like it changes anything.

Which of these moves that you've pointed out wins us the Super Bowl?  That's the criteria by which you'll end the suffering, in your own words.

So, what is the offseason plan that wins us the Superbowl XLIX?  Remember, anything short of that is just more suffering!

I didn't say win I said competes for the Super Bowl any move that improves this team is fine by me. We had all that cap money to spend and we had so many glaring needs. We sat back and let other teams sign all the great players that were free agents. We aren't a better team today even with Decker and Giacomini we are a few key players away from greatness.

We have a defensive core that matches up with any team in the league. Ever notice they are always on the field? This wears them down and they wont have much of a shelf life unless we improve the offense.

You have to suffer a little bit to become an organization that consistently puts a strong product on the field.

Because Idzik is from the Seahawks, everyone looks in that direction, but I think the team we should really look at is the Steerers, and I think we are building to become like them.  No big second contract splashes.  No headlines, just consistently a competitive team who lets guys go when someone is willing to outbid them and has a next man up philosophy.  Unfortunately, this change doesn't happen immediately.  But, I'm willing to be patient if it means we don't have to do, as Arsis points out above, what we're doing right now every couple of seasons when our All-In moves don't work.

True if you do not count the serial rapist.  :winking0001:   SeriousIy, I agree, the Steelers are a great model for personnel decisions.  

They did?  But they didn't stop selling burgers the money maker did they?

I didn't say win I said competes for the Super Bowl any move that improves this team is fine by me. We had all that cap money to spend and we had so many glaring needs. We sat back and let other teams sign all the great players that were free agents. We aren't a better team today even with Decker and Giacomini we are a few key players away from greatness.

We have a defensive core that matches up with any team in the league. Ever notice they are always on the field? This wears them down and they wont have much of a shelf life unless we improve the offense.

I agree we need to improve the offense, I just prefer to do it with a mix of the draft and free agency, rather than paying mediocre players.  If they were great, why would their teams have let them go, as you've pointed out so many times.

Archived