All things DRC (merged Eleventy Quintillion times)

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is he having his visit with the Jets this afternoon?

We need that guy in the worst way...

Agreed . We need another solid starter opposite Milliner. I'm getting worried with the Pats loading up on CB's and trying desperately to resign Edelman. 

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN  2h

Jets do not want Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to leave today without a deal in place. But will #NYJ show necessary sense of urgency?

Int. CONFERENCE ROOM in Florham Park. DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE and his AGENT are discussing a contract proposal from the New York Jets.

AGENT: My advice? Take it. You like the coach, you like the front office, and the money is right in line with the CB market this offseason. Plus you've got a chance to make plenty of bonuses--which, considering how well this system fits your talents, should be a given.

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE [distantly]: Yeah, I guess.

AGENT: What's wrong?

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: It's just...

AGENT: What? If you're having reservations, you should tell me. Whatever it is, we'll work it out.

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: No, everything seems ok, it's just...

AGENT: [nods expectantly]

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: Have they shown the necessary sense of urgency?

Int. CONFERENCE ROOM in Florham Park. DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE and his AGENT are discussing a contract proposal from the New York Jets.

AGENT: My advice? Take it. You like the coach, you like the front office, and the money is right in line with the CB market this offseason. Plus you've got a chance to make plenty of bonuses--which, considering how well this system fits your talents, should be a given.

AGENT: What? If you're having reservations, you should tell me. Whatever it is, we'll work it out.

lol

So Tanny used to overpay and we hated it.

Now Idzik is making sure he pays market value and we hate it.

At this point the only GM  that would please the fans is Tony Soprano. Just pickups the FA he wants from his place and has him sign the first contract he offers or else. And yeah he gets 25% of the cut!

So Tanny used to overpay and we hated it.

Now Idzik is making sure he pays market value and we hate it.

At this point the only GM  that would please the fans is Tony Soprano. Just pickups the FA he wants from his place and has him sign the first contract he offers or else. And yeah he gets 25% of the cut!

I think the altitude in Denver is starting to get to you. :screwy:

I think the altitude in Denver is starting to get to you. :screwy:

Yes thats what it is.Nothing to do with whining JETS fans who defy basic logic. The same guys who complain about the Holmes and Sanchez contract are now like why not sign DRC for whatever it takes and we should have given 5 mill to Pettigrew!

Yes thats what it is.Nothing to do with whining JETS fans who defy basic logic. The same guys who complain about the Holmes and Sanchez contract are now like why not sign DRC for whatever it takes and we should have given 5 mill to Pettigrew!

Why is it that everyone uses the "whining" word when someone disagrees with you?

I was just "ribbing" you a little over the Soprano comment.... Gheesh! Lighten up.

Int. CONFERENCE ROOM in Florham Park. DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE and his AGENT are discussing a contract proposal from the New York Jets.AGENT: My advice? Take it. You like the coach, you like the front office, and the money is right in line with the CB market this offseason. Plus you've got a chance to make plenty of bonuses--which, considering how well this system fits your talents, should be a given.DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE [distantly]: Yeah, I guess.AGENT: What's wrong?DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: It's just...AGENT: What? If you're having reservations, you should tell me. Whatever it is, we'll work it out.DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: No, everything seems ok, it's just...AGENT: [nods expectantly]DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: Have they shown the necessary sense of urgency?

You MUST develop this. Ill direct.

Plot twist: His agent is Machete.

Why is it that everyone uses the "whining" word when someone disagrees with you?

I was just "ribbing" you a little over the Soprano comment.... Gheesh! Lighten up.

whining is just the word of the day around these parts. if you have a different view than those that use it, you will be continued to be called a whiner

Well I hate to break it you, but all the free agents worth their salt (and some who aren't) have gotten overpaid this offseason. Except Decker, because Idzik is the man.

Why is DRC still available this late in the game?  Other teams passed but yet hes gonna be a Hall of Fame CB for the Jets.

Well I hate to break it you, but all the free agents worth their salt (and some who aren't) have gotten overpaid this offseason. Except Decker, because Idzik is the man.

Not so sure about that statement.

Aqib Talib (DEN)

Contract Details

Six-year contract worth $57 million. Talib received $11.5 million in fully guaranteed salary. The full guarantee is made up of a $5 million signing bonus, $2 million 2014 roster bonus, and $4.5 million 2014 base salary. His 2015 and 2016 base salaries are both guaranteed for injury only and will become fully guaranteed if he is on the roster on the 3rd day of that respective league year. He has $500,000 roster bonuses paid for games active in the first three years of the contract. Base salaries are $4,500,000(2014), $5,500,000(2015), $8,500,000(2016), $11,000,000(2017), $11,000,000(2018), and $8,000,000(2019).

Contract Analysis

Here’s a prime example of the media often overstating the guaranteed money in contracts. Contrary to reports, Talib received $11.5 million in fully guaranteed salary. Given Denver’s situation, there is a legitimate chance that this ends up being a one-year deal. And given the $7 million in cap savings that gets credited to Denver if they part ways with Talib after 2015, I’d be surprised if he remains a Bronco for more than two seasons.

PFF Analysis

Vontae Davis (IND)

Contract Details

Four-year contract worth $36 million. Davis received $15 million in fully guarantees and another $5 million in partial guarantees. The fully guarantee is comprised of a $ 5 million signing bonus, $5 million 2014 base salary, and $5 million of his 2015 roster bonus. If he is on the roster the 5th day of the 2015 League Year he will fully guarantee another $5 million of his contract. Davis can earn up to $3 million in performance escalators which are available in the final two years of his contract.

Contract Analysis

Because $5 million of Davis’ $6 million 2015 roster bonus is guaranteed, this reads like a two-year deal worth $20 million. Davis, who has been inconsistent in his career thus far, has $7 million and $9 million base salaries in 2016 and 2017, respectively. With only $2,500,000 in dead money associated with the deal in 2016, Davis will have to continue to perform at a high level to earn all $36 million.

Alterraun Verner (TB)

Contract Details

Four-year contract worth $25.5 million. Verner will earn $8 million in 2014, all of which is fully guaranteed. In 2015 he has $4 million guaranteed for injury only. This money will become fully guaranteed if Verner is on the roster on the fifth day of the 2015 League Year. In 2016 he has a $2 million guarantee that will become fully guaranteed in 2016. He can earn $250,000 for each year he is selected to the Pro Bowl. Base salaries of the contract are $5,000,000(2014), $4,250,000(2015), $6,750,000(2016), and $6,500,000(2017)

Contract Analysis

Darrelle Revis’ replacement, Verner’s contract is front-loaded. With the use of a roster bonus and no signing bonus, Tampa Bay can part ways with Verner after 2014 with no cost (his 2015 salary is guaranteed for just injury). The $8 million he’ll be paid this coming year is 31% of the contract’s total value. Verner won’t turn 26 until December, so chances are he’ll play out this entire deal. The Bucs got great value here.

Linval Joseph (MIN)

Contract Details

Five-year contract worth $31.25 million. The deal contains $12.5 million in fully guaranteed money, made up of a $3 million signing bonus, $2.4 million roster bonus, $2014 base salary, and $3.6 million of his 2015 base salary. Base salaries of the contract are $3,500,000(2014), $3,900,000(2015), $5,650,000(2016), $6,150,000(2017), and $5,150,000(2018).

Contract Analysis

This deal, which makes Joseph the NFL’s 11th highest paid defensive tackle in terms of average salary, is basically a two-year/$13 million deal (or $12.8 million if Joseph skips OTA’s). His dead money amount decreases from $6 million in 2015 to $1.8 million in 2016, so the Vikings will be free to cut him after the two years. Minnesota will then be able to evaluate on a year-to-year basis as to whether Joseph is worth a $6-$7 million cap hit each year.

http://overthecap.co...agent-analysis/

I believe we paid what Decker is actually worth. Didn't overpay, but certainly not a bargain either. Now its up to Decker to prove if we overpaid or underpaid.

Verner and TJ Ward were steals and they were both needs for the Jets. But Im not complaining. We are not in a bad shape. Hopefully we can get DRC for $8mil (turning down 9mil per was a mistake he'll realize).

Why is DRC still available this late in the game?  Other teams passed but yet hes gonna be a Hall of Fame CB for the Jets.

Because he's terrible. Everyone knows that if you aren't signed in the first 12 hours you're awful.

<12 hours: All-pro and potential HOFer

12 hours < & <24 hours: Pro-bowler

<24 hours  &  < 48 hours: potential starter

<48 hours: Total bust

Dominique Rodger-Cromartie flew to Newark last night from Florida to visit with the Jets and Giants over the weekend. It is not known yet which team DRC will choose next, but what is known is that he turned down a six year $54 million contract from the Broncos.

Why would Rodgers-Cromartie do such a thing? Mike Klis of the Denver Post explains in an article about the particulars of the contract John Elway offered the veteran cornerback to return to the Broncos.

Klis argues that “no NFL contract is what it seems” and that his agent Eugene Parker knows his way around six year $54 million contracts. While the contract was generous in the first year, it was what the deal looked like after two and three years that made DRC balk at the offer before Elway moved on quickly to Aqib Talib just as he did with DeMarcus Ware and Jared Allen.

It also should be noted that included in the $10 million, first-year money to Rodgers-Cromartie was a $5 million signing bonus that would have carried future salary cap ramifications and made it extremely difficult for the Broncos to release the cornerback after the first year.

So Rodgers-Cromartie would have made $16 million after two years. And then it would have been $24 million over three years.

That’s the deal Rodgers-Cromartie turned down. The other $30 million over the final three years was essentially fluff.

Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com
Parker and Rodgers-Cromartie are likely going to want to see more guaranteed money up front. DRC might be the best remaining corner on the market and is arguably the best player still available. If the Jets are serious about making an upgrade at the cornerback spot DRC as it seems they are, then this player represents their best last shot.

It is no secret that the Jets have been slow-playing the market. As of Saturday they have the fourth-most cap space remaining but there are plenty of teams who could easily sign Rodgers-Cromartie if they wanted to. So the good news for the Jets is that they still have $27 million in cap space, not even considering Mark Sachez’s figure. Meanwhile the Giants have about $11 million in cap space remaining so signing a player like DRC could quickly soak up the rest but is doable.

My hope is that Idzik realizes this is the time to strike for players that could be key contributors to the Jets in 2014 and beyond. Now that we are through the initial 72 hour flurry, the Jets GM can get players at what he feels like are good values.

But what will be a good value for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie? It is fair to say that since the Broncos pulled their deal off the table with DRC that maybe he isn’t worth the $54 million over six years he was originally offered. Even so, if the Jets want to make the one move that has the potential to solidify this defense they shouldn’t get too cute with the Giants and their recent Super Bowl trophies ready to greet the cornerback when he arrives.

136 Comments

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: Hold it the pats are on the phone

AGENT: what ?

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: Um John may I use your facilities plz ?

Archived