All things DRC (merged Eleventy Quintillion times)

I don't know how this is considered a loss. If Idzik wanted DRC, he would have just forked over more money, but wasn't willing to cave to demands.  Losing would be vastly overpaying or missing out on one player when you were paying attention to a different player who had no interest in signing with you.  Giants got him because they threw more money at him, pretty simple.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, the Jets will be fine with the corners they have and a mid rounder for depth. They can even bring the other Cro back on a reduced deal and still be fine.

The secondary was bad last year. It's going to be better this year because....?

Because we spend a mid-round pick on it for depth? Because we bring back Antonio Cromartie who's now a year older (that's if Arizona passes on him)? Because Dee Milliner now has 1 year of experience?

Because we spend a mid-round pick on it for depth? Because we bring back Antonio Cromartie who's now a year older (that's if Arizona passes on him)? Because Dee Milliner now has 1 year of experience?

Milliner was really good in December. Allen's a good player imo....DRC would have been a nice move though. If Cro isnt brought back I'd imagine a rookie and the remaining guys on the roster will battle for that CB spot.

Milliner was really good in December. Allen's a good player imo....DRC would have been a nice move though. If Cro isnt brought back I'd imagine a rookie and the remaining guys on the roster will battle for that CB spot.

If they weren't going to touch the secondary, they could have at least signed a pass-rushing OLB or something.

As Matt mentioned, Milliner was really good the last quarter of the season, PFF had him ranked near or at the top of all CBs in coverage, so yes, a full season and off-season will help not only him but the entire secondary.  If Walls were to start, it would be an upgrade, as he graded out significantly better in every/almost every category (don't have numbers in front of me) compared to Cro, which would be an upgrade.  Allen will be getting more burn, who is a very talented player: after Cro left, he described Allen as a "freakish talent, who could be the next Ed Reed." Obviously quite hyperbolic, but a former player talking about a relatively unknown rookie is solid praise.

So yes, it's not hard to believe that our secondary will be better, considering the only player we lost, was ranked 105 out of 110 or so CBs in the entirety of the NFL last season. Not sure why that's so hard to believe. Or do you think everyone else on the defense will stay the same and our new CB will be worse than 105??

If they weren't going to touch the secondary, they could have at least signed a pass-rushing OLB or something.

Which one?  Does DeMarcus Ware help this team in 2016?  DRC was targeted because he's 27.  Just like Decker.  As much as you'd like to think all these free agents we missed out on are helping this team win an immediate championship, Idzik is thinking realistically and long-term.

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr 47s

Confirming the terms and the deal. Am told it's worth $35 million. #nyg

Ralph Vacchianoþ@RVacchianoNYDN·5s

According to a source, DRC's five-year deal with the Giants is worth $35 million, according to a source. #NYG

I hate to be DRC's agent right now. Reject a 6 yr 54 mill for a 5 yr 35 mill deal. Thats some representation right there.

As Matt mentioned, Milliner was really good the last quarter of the season, PFF had him ranked near or at the top of all CBs in coverage, so yes, a full season and off-season will help not only him but the entire secondary.  If Walls were to start, it would be an upgrade, as he graded out significantly better in every/almost every category (don't have numbers in front of me) compared to Cro, which would be an upgrade.  Allen will be getting more burn, who is a very talented player: after Cro left, he described Allen as a "freakish talent, who could be the next Ed Reed." Obviously quite hyperbolic, but a former player talking about a relatively unknown rookie is solid praise.

So yes, it's not hard to believe that our secondary will be better, considering the only player we lost, was ranked 105 out of 110 or so CBs in the entirety of the NFL last season. Not sure why that's so hard to believe. Or do you think everyone else on the defense will stay the same and our new CB will be worse than 105??

Wow.  So not only is the secondary better at this moment, on March 17, than it was at the start of 2013, we still have 5 months to make more upgrades.  Can stoic be any more wrong on this stuff?

Barnes was leading the team in QB hits and had two sacks through the first five games in his situational role. Between him and Pace, the only way they're addressing OLB is via the draft, not by signing a $10 million per year 30+ year old veteran.

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr 47s

Confirming the terms and the deal. Am told it's worth $35 million. #nyg

Ralph Vacchianoþ@RVacchianoNYDN·5s

According to a source, DRC's five-year deal with the Giants is worth $35 million, according to a source. #NYG

A reasonable deal.  I would have been fully on board with $7M per.  Damn.

Barnes was leading the team in QB hits and had two sacks through the first five games in his situational role. Between him and Pace, the only way they're addressing OLB is via the draft, not by signing a $10 million per year 30+ year old veteran.

Everyone seems to forget about Barnes.  A really underrated signing.

Wow.  So not only is the secondary better at this moment, on March 17, than it was at the start of 2013, we still have 5 months to make more upgrades.  Can stoic be any more wrong on this stuff?

The only two players that we lost from our secondary are Ed Reed and Cromartie. Reed, while he had his mentor bonuses and the few ints, was taking too much time away from Allen, who is clearly the superior athlete at this point in time. Our defense is exremely young and to think that they all are going to stagnate or somehow regress is just irrational fear.  Most of them were showing improvement, some significant improvement towards the end of the season and considering how poorly Cro played last year, it should almost be expected that we get better play out of the CB that takes his place.  It's possible that Walls' limited reps won't translate to a full season of play, but the odds of us having someone replicate just how poorly Cro played doesn't seem likely. 

I don't think a reunion  with Cro or a one year stop-gap with someone like Bailey or Samuel out of the question either. Plenty of teams have #2 CBs that aren't drafted in the first half of the first round. I think we'll be fine, especially considering the rest of the defense looks to take a big step forward, with the majority of the marquee players being extremely young.

A reasonable deal.  I would have been fully on board with $7M per.  Damn.

$7 per seems reasonable, but we have to see how it was worded. Idzik may have wanted a contract that gave no pro-rated bonuses, as a lot of contracts this year are being constructed, so as they could cut him if he went back to his Philly ways without a lot of dead-space.  Who knows, but $7 million does seem far, assuming you're getting the good Cro.  

Neither player has been signed yet.  We could easily bring both back if no other options present themselves.

We need to bring them both back our secondary wasn't the problem it was the lack of points scored by the offense without decent WRs. 

Sign a WR Austin or Britt then sign RB Johnson.Moreno or Blount so we can put up some points.

First of all, whether you agree with it or not, Idzik is unblinkingly disciplined when it comes to sticking to his value assessment. So when this started to look like a bidding war, the Jets were never going to go above a number they believed to be DRC's value. On top of that, the whole thing played out as the Jets being used as leverage here, i mean he visited us first, then we hear about the Browns being a mystery team and how "badly" both sides wanted him. Smelled like agent leaks all over the place. Although Rex says dumb sh*t about his players all the time.

I also think something should be clear here, the corner the Jets wanted was Vontae Davis. They were aggressive with him and THAT was the one that got away here. It's bad as a principle from that point to get into bidding wars over what the Jets assess as lower on their list of good fits at corner. Desperation would be overpaying for your plan B, which is something as fans appears to be frustrating and makes them look stagnant.

I get why corner looks like a gaping hole here. Rex loves good press corners and his defense is predicated on it. It's not a coincidence why we draft corners round 1 so frequently. But in terms of building this team, the Jets have struggled being even a league average offense. Their defense has been at least top 11 the entire time rex has been here. Their offense has been above top 20 once i think. They're among the worst in the league the past few years turning the ball over and have struggled recently getting turnovers.

I'm much more concerned in improving our offense then getting rex a shiny new toy at corner just to have the same problems we have had year in and year out. If Rex can't field a competent defense with two first round corners and three first rounders in the front seven then what value is Rex generating as a defensive coach. That's plenty of weapons.

Wow. So not only is the secondary better at this moment, on March 17, than it was at the start of 2013, we still have 5 months to make more upgrades. Can stoic be any more wrong on this stuff?

I don't know where all this hate is coming from. Why is it crazy to think that a team with 40m to spend and a weakness at corner and safety should do SOMETHING to improve?

I'm much more concerned in improving our offense then getting rex a shiny new toy at corner just to have the same problems we have had year in and year out. If Rex can't field a competent defense with two first round corners and three first rounders in the front seven then what value is Rex generating as a defensive coach. That's plenty of weapons.

You're concerned about offense? Fine. But besides Decker, there have been no upgrades on offense on what should have been an easy-to-upgrade offense. Zero.

We swapped one mediocre RT for another mediocre RT, our LG still sucks, we don't even have an RG. We have no one that can catch the ball out of the backfield. We don't have a TE that is a legitimate NFL starter. Let me know when Idzik finally wakes up and does something about any of that, then we'll talk.

Archived