Dyer: Luckily For The Jets, This General Manager Knows What He’s Doing

F.Chowds

This was the offseason that the New York Jets wanted from general manager John Idzik. And after two full days of free agency, it was exactly what the team needed.

After a 2013 of rebuilding, the Jets emerged this offseason with oodles of cap space (oodles being the technical term used by football accountants and cap experts) and the ability to bring in depth and top-tier talent.

But then on the first day of free agency, the Jets sat quietly while the underachievers of the NFL reached with big dollar contracts for players with uncertain potential. Sure, players on the Jets big board flew off to sign contracts for dollar amounts that they as a franchise were unwilling to match.

And of course, panic set in.

It was assumed that Idzik was getting schooled in his second offseason with the Jets. Last year marked an underwhelming assortment of deals for his team, mainly under-the-radar signings in a year marked by tight cap restraints. But this was supposed to be the year of the splash, the year of big names.

This offseason was supposed to be about the stars, about the marquee being filled with impact players. The Jets were supposed to be players coming into free agency. It was supposed to be a flurry of big names.

But then Aqib Talib, Alterraun Verner and Vontae Davis flew off the shelves. What did the Jets do? They signed kicker Nick Folk to a four-year contract, a player they had just franchise tagged weeks before. Then they lost Austin Howard to the Raiders and suddenly, it seemed as if the Jets had no plan, nofuture.

But Idzik sat there, like the ninja that he is, and waited patiently.

He didn’t pay attention to the hand-ringing on Twitter. He didn’t listen to the sports talk hosts griping over his quiet offseason. And he didn’t cave into pressure.

Instead, methodically he stuck to his plan and what he did was improveicon1.png his team on Wednesday

There was the contract for Breno Giacomini, a right tackle perhaps more polished then Howard, who has 31 starts over the past two seasons for the Seattle Seahawks. Then there was the deal for Eric Decker, a five-year contract competitively priced for a player coming off a career year with the Denver Broncos.

At no time did Idzik reach. At no point was there panic. Instead, he worked his board and he improved the team.

Patiently he sits in his office in Florham Park, unwilling to change his style. He is pragmatic and thoughtful and will never pay the price for being rash. He didn’t jump at the opportunity to sign Darrelle Revis to a contract, knowing that the price would mortgage his team’s ability to make further moves down the road. This team had multiple holes to fill and it didn’t need just one piece. Idzik recognized that and wouldn’t flinch.

He’s suffering in the backpages right now, but it won’t matter much come Week 1.

For that’s Idzik’s style. The Jets won’t be a team that spends now only to have buyer’s remorse later. They will pursue a path that gives them flexibility, the types of moves that left Idzik’s last team, the Seahawks, ready for an extended run of successicon1.png.

It was the mindset that Jets ownership wanted when they hired Idzik last offseason. There’s substance, not sizzle to everything the franchise does moving forward. It won’t always work, but it will have a purpose. There will be a directionicon1.png and a mentality for this franchise.

So all that angst over the Jets’ quiet offseason after just hours of the open market is what Idzik expected all along. And the Jets will be fine with that.

Remember that this time last year, the Jets were pegged to be the worst team in the NFL. The popular talking point was that they had the inside track on the No. 1 pick, that they were the frontrunners in the Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes. And Rex Ryan’s Jets future wasn’t even talked about or considered. It was assumed he had no future with the team and his next stop would be Rutgers.

Instead, behind Idzik’s solid draft class and some shrewd free agent signings, the Jets finished 8-8. A team destined by the pundits to be among the worst in the league was in the playoff picture until mid-December. Idzik had the last laugh then as he embraced Ryan in the visiting locker room in Miami, celebrating an improbable season.

And Idzik will have the last laugh now. Just like the ninja that he is.

And this article is just as unfounded as the one's screaming the exact opposite. The truth is that he has done less than many of us hoped, but at the same time has definitely made a couple of moves which were positive with Decker being the obvious one.  he has a bunch of picks in this years draft after having a solid draft last year. Who knows?

Everything that is written is mere speculation, but I will say that the org which I think is the most soundly run in the NFL, the Pittsburgh Steelers, have also been rather quiet during this FA period and has been for many years. They let big names go every single year all the way back to Greg Loyd and Kevin Green up to Mike Wallace and Sanders this year. They are unshakeable. They sign a key player here and there but rarely big splashes. 

I would have to say that while I have no idea if he will be anywhere near as effective as the Steelers, Idzik's philosophy sure looks a lot like how they've been doing it for a long time and they are successful every year. Especially where grooming young guys to replace big name big $ players is concerned.

It's been hard for me as I'm used to the Jets being the off season champs. but I'm very interested to see where this gangly bastard of ours is heading.

I think he's seeing what's going on between denver and new england and how they're pushing for the last hoorah for their eras and playing it safe. Denver lost decker and might lose moreno, but their defense got better, and the pats are already tough with brady/belichick being there. At this point i obviously wouldn't save the signings until next year because then the pats and broncos are dying out, but just taking it slower than to waste cap space this year and slowly improve without all huge signings, wait until the rookies that come out of this draft gain some experience and then spend. It's not stupid what he's doing, you don't become a GM by being one dimensional. This has to at least weigh into his decisions a little bit. The whole league sees what other teams are doing. And also it's been 5 days and there are still free agents worth signing. No one is going to pay DRC the 9 mil that denver was going to, and now that they signed talib, and DRC's visiting the giants (who cannot afford him) we can grab him for a decent amount cheaper than the 9 mil that he turned down. 

I think he's seeing what's going on between denver and new england and how they're pushing for the last hoorah for their eras and playing it safe. Denver lost decker and might lose moreno, but their defense got better, and the pats are already tough with brady/belichick being there. At this point i obviously wouldn't save the signings until next year because then the pats and broncos are dying out, but just taking it slower than to waste cap space this year and slowly improve without all huge signings, wait until the rookies that come out of this draft gain some experience and then spend. It's not stupid what he's doing, you don't become a GM by being one dimensional. This has to at least weigh into his decisions a little bit. The whole league sees what other teams are doing. And also it's been 5 days and there are still free agents worth signing. No one is going to pay DRC the 9 mil that denver was going to, and now that they signed talib, and DRC's visiting the giants (who cannot afford him) we can grab him for a decent amount cheaper than the 9 mil that he turned down. 

mike_tannenbaum_new_york_jets_crop_340x2

tannenbaumweb4s-1-web.jpg

For that’s Idzik’s style. The Jets won’t be a team that spends now only to have buyer’s remorse later. They will pursue a path that gives them flexibility, the types of moves that left Idzik’s last team, the Seahawks, ready for an extended run of successicon1.png.

And Idzik will have the last laugh now. Just like the ninja that he is.

These kinds of comments are out of touch with reality.   The Seahawks found great players through the draft, but they also were a team who made splash signings/trades every season.   Marshawn Lynch, Sydney Rice, Pervy Harvin, guys like Matt Flynn & Charlie Whitehurts,  Avril, Bennet, etc.  Not every move worked out, but when people say Idzik is following the Seahawks, they obviously didn't pay much attention to how the Seahawks actually built that team.

We didn't sign Geno, we drafted him... and he was trying to stick to his BAP philosophy, a prime example that it doesn't always work.

Toma toe Tom ato same difference. For once I agree with you....this (Eugene) isn't working. 

These kinds of comments are out of touch with reality.   The Seahawks found great players through the draft, but they also were a team who made splash signings/trades every season.   Marshawn Lynch, Sydney Rice, Pervy Harvin, guys like Matt Flynn & Charlie Whitehurts,  Avril, Bennet, etc.  Not every move worked out, but when people say Idzik is following the Seahawks, they obviously didn't pay much attention to how the Seahawks actually built that team.

Thank God they banged on a 5'11 QB in the third round so everyone can talk about how brilliant they are.

Thank God they banged on a 5'11 QB in the third round so everyone can talk about how brilliant they are.

Their defense and running game are better than the d and running games that we took to back to back afccg. They did get lucky with Wilson, but if we could have done that with Sancho, they could have had a lot of success even without Russell.

And this article is just as unfounded as the one's screaming the exact opposite. The truth is that he has done less than many of us hoped, but at the same time has definitely made a couple of moves which were positive with Decker being the obvious one. he has a bunch of picks in this years draft after having a solid draft last year. Who knows?

Everything that is written is mere speculation, but I will say that the org which I think is the most soundly run in the NFL, the Pittsburgh Steelers, have also been rather quiet during this FA period and has been for many years. They let big names go every single year all the way back to Greg Loyd and Kevin Green up to Mike Wallace and Sanders this year. They are unshakeable. They sign a key player here and there but rarely big splashes.

I would have to say that while I have no idea if he will be anywhere near as effective as the Steelers, Idzik's philosophy sure looks a lot like how they've been doing it for a long time and they are successful every year. Especially where grooming young guys to replace big name big $ players is concerned.

It's been hard for me as I'm used to the Jets being the off season champs. but I'm very interested to see where this gangly bastard of ours is heading.

This dude gets it.

And this article is just as unfounded as the one's screaming the exact opposite. The truth is that he has done less than many of us hoped, but at the same time has definitely made a couple of moves which were positive with Decker being the obvious one.  he has a bunch of picks in this years draft after having a solid draft last year. Who knows?

If we can only draft as well as the Steelers! By the way, Steelers are in cap hell.... A little of the shine has come off the armor lately. 

If we can only draft as well as the Steelers! By the way, Steelers are in cap hell.... A little of the shine has come off the armor lately. 

Sure, Everything will ebb and flow, but can you deny that the Steelers have been the model for a franchise in the NFL?  Never do they go after the big names in FA, they are competitive almost every season and have been to the super bowl more than anyone.  They groom their own homegrown talent to replace the guys who want to leave for the big pay day. It at least looks like Idzik might be trying to emulate that model. 

This is what happens when a team thinks ahead.  The Steelers get out from boat-anchor contracts before they become even more onerous and, while they may cut ties with proven players who still have something left in the tank, they are always re-tooling and re-loading.  Call it long-tem vision, or helicoopter vision --  this is the benchmark of a team that actually has a plan and sticks to it.  

This is what happens when a team thinks ahead.  The Steelers get out from boat-anchor contracts before they become even more onerous and, while they may cut ties with proven players who still have something left in the tank, they are always re-tooling and re-loading.  Call it long-tem vision, or helicoopter vision --  this is the benchmark of a team that actually has a plan and sticks to it.  

Agreed. I've envied my Steeler fan friends for years. Since Neil Odonnell really.  I would like to think Idzik is moving us in that direction. The past two seasons look that way to me. It's painful to change, but we're finally doing it.

Ahhhh to imagine the Jets being a strong organization.

Agreed. I've envied my Steeler fan friends for years. Since Neil Odonnell really.  I would like to think Idzik is moving us in that direction. The past two seasons look that way to me. It's painful to change, but we're finally doing it.

Ahhhh to imagine the Jets being a strong organization.

Baby steps.

Another 6-8 yrs. should do it.

actually I think we are a contending team perennially in 2015,,seattle model ,,gm scheineder started in 2010,,7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 13-3,,its all about drafting and knowing when its time to throw big bucks around..timing..

actually I think we are a contending team perennially in 2015,,seattle model ,,gm scheineder started in 2010,,7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 13-3,,its all about drafting and knowing when its time to throw big bucks around..timing..

exactly, it's all about drafting.   How well Milliner, Geno, and Winters turn out will have a big impact on the team's improvement.   Idzik gets another chance this year to keep building and he needs to hit on more than he misses.   

nice read, the 'back page followers' and those who need to 'win FA week' wont like it, but its true,,the seattle model..

Zach Miller had an 11million dollar cap number last year. They traded for Matt Flynn, Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, Marshawn Lynch.

So if you're saying pay a Pro Bowl Level QB, your best starting WR and All World CB 600,000 each, then sure I'm all for it. Where do I sign?

I'm not saying they didn't draft well or got lucky (they did a little) but playing it safe is not why they are Super Bowl Champions. Because they didn't. They paid Sidney Rice 8.5 million dollars last year.

Archived