Dyer: Luckily For The Jets, This General Manager Knows What He’s Doing

F.Chowds

actually I think we are a contending team perennially in 2015,,seattle model ,,gm scheineder started in 2010,,7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 13-3,,its all about drafting and knowing when its time to throw big bucks around..timing..

Seattle is not a contending team, perennially. We don't know that yet. Those chickens are coming home to roost soon and they're going to be asking to be paid more money. They had one of the three highest cap numbers in the league last year as it was.

Patiently he sits in his office in Florham Park, unwilling to change his style. He is pragmatic and thoughtful and will never pay the price for being rash. He didn’t jump at the opportunity to sign Darrelle Revis to a contract, knowing that the price would mortgage his team’s ability to make further moves down the road. This team had multiple holes to fill and it didn’t need just one piece. Idzik recognized that and wouldn’t flinch.

What a load of crap. Revis signed for about what it will take to get DR-C under contract 12-mil. Not a back breaker by ANY means and he would have solidified the Jets secondary  - which is still very weak - and allowed the Jets to not have to draft a DB. Now the MUST draft one and hope he catches on quickly. In FA you have to identify your needs and fill them, but Idzik has done little or nothing with a boat load of money. Now we are down to the dregs, so he can sign about 15 crappy players to small contracts. Iggy most definitely dropped the ball BIG TIME.

This is what happens when a team thinks ahead. The Steelers get out from boat-anchor contracts before they become even more onerous and, while they may cut ties with proven players who still have something left in the tank, they are always re-tooling and re-loading. Call it long-tem vision, or helicoopter vision -- this is the benchmark of a team that actually has a plan and sticks to it.

Call it talent recognition and development.

If you don't draft and develop well the steelers method would produce crap teams. Building through the draft is great if you draft and develop well. We have never been able to draft or develop offensive skill players.

Yeah it all starts with draft. If you don't draft well you can't like mike Wallace go which would've been a mountain of money for steelers. The main thing jets haven't done well over the years is knowing when to let guys walk. The best teams aren't afraid to do it. With idzik there are signs we are turning that corner.

tell that to rex while hes out there coaching his heart out with nothing to show for it thanks to this clown

Rex is confident he will win the battle against Idzik's attemtp to build an offense.  First pick of the draft  = cornerback.  Rex walks off triumphantly. Take that Idzik!

If you don't draft and develop well the steelers method would produce crap teams. Building through the draft is great if you draft and develop well. We have never been able to draft or develop offensive skill players.

I agree. Hopefully that process will begin this year. He did ok last season in the draft.  Geno, will improve this year as he did the last 4 weeks of the season, Millner was Defensive player of the month in Dec. Winters has a year under his belt and DROY in Richardson.

Let's see what he does this draft.

No player drafted under Rex Ryan has ever made the Pro Bowl, eh.

I think that Wilk, Sheldon and Millner will be in plenty of pro-bowls. The offense has really been the problem, which is not Rex's fault, it is a combo of bad drafting and bad coaching on the offensive side of the ball. Hopefully we have a good coach over there now, and hopefully we can draft better over there, or even sign better FA's over there. I don't think Rex takes any blame at all for your cheap shot.

Zach Miller had an 11million dollar cap number last year. They traded for Matt Flynn, Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, Marshawn Lynch.

So if you're saying pay a Pro Bowl Level QB, your best starting WR and All World CB 600,000 each, then sure I'm all for it. Where do I sign?

I'm not saying they didn't draft well or got lucky (they did a little) but playing it safe is not why they are Super Bowl Champions. Because they didn't. They paid Sidney Rice 8.5 million dollars last year.

BINGO, last year paid rice / got harvin when they knew they had a SB run in them..

I expect some marquee names from Jets in 'maybe' 2015 and for sure in 2016 free agency

Archived