This board

Jetfanincanada

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only when you bring up Molson as a prize for those you do seem to be ok with.

Out of curiosity, as a new poster, who's gotten to you more: the ones who seem convinced the sky is falling or those who seem convinced it is not?

Come on, get your mediocre Canadian beer correct, it wasn't Molson, it was Labatt :)

To keep things in perspective, sports are entertainment, sports boards are a means to chat with others about one of my chosen forms of entertainment, so getting to me is a bit strong. 

That said there are d*#ks in all walks of life, sports fans are no different. 

I don't really care about the sky is falling or not falling mentality, just this notion that many seem to have that their OPINION is actually fact, and if you disagree with their opinion, you are flat out wrong and a moron.

I think it's comical that the same people who are bashing the sky is falling people are giving themselves reach arounds for their Idzik is God stance, when he has yet to really do anything. As if their opinion is somehow more credible then the opposite point of view. The funny thing is the sky is falling crowd seems to me to be less attacking to the opposing view, where the Idzik is God crew seems to go on the offense anytime anyone complains about anything.

My only real complaint is the Revis situation. Price is what you pay, value is what you get. I think we would have gotten more value out of signing Mevi$ for $12-$13m for say 4 years than to give say $9-10 for a DRC type guy. I recognize it's all posture because who knows what we could have gotten Mevi$ for anyway, but that is just my opinion.

Other than that, I will wait to see what is put on the field before praising or criticizing Idzik. And even at that, I want to see what he does over a few year period.

I blame JoeWillie78. Not specifically, but there are certain posters that have let a tone be set by being so one-note and obnoxious that they engender this type of response and it's started to creep into all interactions on the board.

There is also a lot of good natured ball breaking that happens between familiar posters that can be misinterpreted if you are not sure whether you are "in" or not.

And then there are the wiseasses. There's some of that too. So overall, you get what we have here now.

Got to disagree.  I liked Joewillie78.  Yeah he was a troll, but he took a beating with humor, and never got personally insulting

Don't need a recap.  As I said, "as big a dick as anyone else,"  and, there are a lot of dicks here, myself included.  I actually know BG, and he's definitely a "super twat."  I'm just saying lets all just call a spade a spade, laugh about it, and not take any of it too seriously.

No need to PM me with an apology for old business, I appreciate even the mention of it.  It's JetNation... It's all nonsense.  Hope all is well with you.

Now wait one damn second.... yeah, ok, fine.

But I must say, I do enjoy the humor of some posters running to this thread to supposedly agree with the OP while making sure to pat themselves on the back as clearly superior in the process.  Of course I'm sure the irony there is lost on many.  It's only made more amusing considering that there's posters from both extremes of the current battles who are doing so, all but guaranteeing that at least some of them are amongst those being referred to by our Canadian friend, simply depending on which side is the one he finds most unbearable.

What I don't understand is the need to start incessant thread after thread of complaints that are roughly about the same thing. As much as I disagree with the viewpoint that the Jets are just acting like morons by being passive in FA, I'm fine with people having differing viewpoints, But please stop using this site as your personal blog to bitch about how you think the FO are morons. It's not special, it makes you look like a two-year-old whining.

Don't need a recap.  As I said, "as big a dick as anyone else,"  and, there are a lot of dicks here, myself included.  I actually know BG, and he's definitely a "super twat."  I'm just saying lets all just call a spade a spade, laugh about it, and not take any of it too seriously.

No need to PM me with an apology for old business, I appreciate even the mention of it.  It's JetNation... It's all nonsense.  Hope all is well with you.

the apology was actually for avm. that was one humdinger of a night a few years back. I can be a temperamental bastard for sure and was in full drunken battle mode. great times.if its all the same, I am glad we cleared the air. hope all is well with you,also

Got to disagree.  I liked Joewillie78.  Yeah he was a troll, but he took a beating with humor, and never got personally insulting

No, I know. I can tell he's a good guy, I even told him that. I'm just saying that he made it really easy for people to be snarky with. He was relentless, to boot.

To me I like to talk Jets football, love a great sports debate, unfortunately I'm pretty dumb when it comes to trying to use the English language, and getting a point across without writing a short novel. You will get to know which guys you can have good debates with, and the ones that will just spew their nonsense no matter what.

All in all there isn't a better Jets board out there than Jetnation IMO!

Now wait one damn second.... yeah, ok, fine.

But I must say, I do enjoy the humor of some posters running to this thread to supposedly agree with the OP while making sure to pat themselves on the back as clearly superior in the process.  Of course I'm sure the irony there is lost on many.  It's only made more amusing considering that there's posters from both extremes of the current battles who are doing so, all but guaranteeing that at least some of them are amongst those being referred to by our Canadian friend, simply depending on which side is the one he finds most unbearable.

Wow, you lost me with the rest of your post, but I am just so happy I made a friend here!

there is too much fighting and name calling here I totally agree with that.

the good news is we Just banned all of the bad posters so the problem is now fixed. We did it quietly though so don't ask who, thanks.

the good news is we Just banned all of the bad posters so the problem is now fixed. We did it quietly though so don't ask who, thanks.

I feel like I hit the lottery in this thread, I made a friend, and my password still works!

There should be a thread pinned to the top of the main board which lists the banned posters and their offense.  It would serve as a warning to the rest.

#publicfloggingisgoodmkay 

being serious for a second, we did just have our busiest week here in like 5 years the posting volume was crazy with over 3000 post some days.

Ignore this my phone is screwy..

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day

ANGEL CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, get your mediocre Canadian beer correct, it wasn't Molson, it was Labatt :)

To keep things in perspective, sports are entertainment, sports boards are a means to chat with others about one of my chosen forms of entertainment, so getting to me is a bit strong. 

That said there are d*#ks in all walks of life, sports fans are no different. 

I don't really care about the sky is falling or not falling mentality, just this notion that many seem to have that their OPINION is actually fact, and if you disagree with their opinion, you are flat out wrong and a moron.

I think it's comical that the same people who are bashing the sky is falling people are giving themselves reach arounds for their Idzik is God stance, when he has yet to really do anything. As if their opinion is somehow more credible then the opposite point of view. The funny thing is the sky is falling crowd seems to me to be less attacking to the opposing view, where the Idzik is God crew seems to go on the offense anytime anyone complains about anything.

My only real complaint is the Revis situation. Price is what you pay, value is what you get. I think we would have gotten more value out of signing Mevi$ for $12-$13m for say 4 years than to give say $9-10 for a DRC type guy. I recognize it's all posture because who knows what we could have gotten Mevi$ for anyway, but that is just my opinion.

Other than that, I will wait to see what is put on the field before praising or criticizing Idzik. And even at that, I want to see what he does over a few year period.

Fair enough.  Hey, everyone's entitled to an opinion but I think it's a matter of volume.  The # of posts that have been generated every day about how horrible things are has grown exponentially.  The first few times, hey, whatever; Jets fans complaining is nothing that should draw attention.  But it's nonstop.  More and more and more and more and more.  When the same people regurgitate the same opinion it gets on others' nerves.  And to read the way it comes across, one can practically hear the - let's call them "critics" - screaming from their keyboards.

And for some, it's based on not spending money for the sake of spending it IMO.  Like I should feel more comfortable about a so-so RT if he cost $6M/year instead of about half that.  Or the barrage of complaints about not signing someone like Pettigrew to a $5M/year contract to make sure his prior team didn't one-up us.  

Idzik has 1 year of GMing under his belt.  Even if you like him so far, as I do, you still can't give him a full grade.  I think things he's done that have been very good get brushed aside as though anyone would have done exactly the same thing and gotten exactly the same results (like getting a higher first round pick for Revis, with 1 suitor, when the guy needs a new $16M/year contract to keep him).  I think this is a convenient stance to take, and some of the same complainers were pissed he didn't take a 2nd & something else the next season, as was TB's alleged top offer, when they thought Idzik had overplayed his hand.  Also it's convenient to overlook, by the non-moves, all the bad moves that were not made.  Non-moves are never compared to bad moves in hindsight; they're only compared to moves that would have been tremendous boons to the franchise for years.  Talk about a convenient position to take.

I think those complaining - and hey, I complain plenty - are taking no less of a know-everything position than those who don't share the opinion.  That if money is available, then it must be spent right away.  My opinion is this is what got us into a hole that's taking us 3 years to climb out of (when you count the last year of Tannenbaum's tenure).  Top players are worth top money.  Mediocre ones are not.  At the same time, a team that isn't a realistic contender right now has little business forking over $12M/year on a 1 year contract for a CB no matter how many years he once played for the Jets.  I think you are very mistaken that Revis would have jumped on a deal as you described, but that's my opinion.  That if he would have accepted that, then he wouldn't have required even a 1 year team option in NE to cost them some $25M.  He wants to get back up to $16M asap, and is betting on himself on a 1 year deal in NE while 100% healthy the whole season.  If he'd take $12-13M/year for an extended deal NE could have given him that.  If that's truly what he wanted then he wouldn't have jumped at NE's 1 year deal before taking a few days to shop around as a FA.  Last, I think it is an even bigger reach to believe that Idzik made that call - the call to not call - on his own.  It's a non-move I agree with, and it isn't because I have any affinity for the non-self-made man that is Woody Johnson.

I think his draft last year was good with the obvious exceptions of his OL picks.  But they were all just rookies, and one of them (Campbell) was known to be a project from day 1.  Smith was a value pick at a position of obvious need.  Mornhinweg thinks he'll turn out ok (or that's what he sold Eric Decker anyway), and it's tough to expect immediate results from him based on his prior experience, limited snaps with starters last summer, and then an injury that limited him in the final weeks of his first NFL summer.  He'll either improve or he won't.  But I can hardly argue with the value of the pick, particularly in a piss poor QB draft.  The rest of the offseason was filling stop-gap players with his limited resources.  Also a rebuilding team needs draft picks, and it seems he wanted to max out on compensatory picks, which means not signing true UFAs when cut players will do as well (e.g. Willie Colon).

This year we really had one MASSIVE need, and that was at receiver.  I say only 1 massive need because it was a unit we needed multiple players for.  For that, you have to do better than just drafting, since the odds of drafting and starting 2 rookie WRs is as close to zero as it is for Mark Sanchez to win the NFL MVP award this season (or ever).  We have other areas of need, but they're a lot easier to find productive veterans for later IMO.  Guard, a 3rd corner, a safety, a 3rd down back better than Powell, a TE...these positions I'd rather see what we can get in the draft from our mountain of picks, before we over-commit to huge dollars for a veteran who isn't a long-term solution anyway (like either corner NE signed) or frankly isn't good enough to justify the dollars it would have taken to get him (Howard, Pettigrew, and maybe DRC).  I'm sure we're not done in free agency yet.  I just think he had a plan to really use his loads of draft picks in a loaded draft to further build the team.  What interrupts that is throwing huge dollars at players who aren't really that good, or who are temporary indulgences like Revis.  So we signed the biggest name available at the biggest need position.  We may yet sign another, but if we don't I really won't get into an uproar with such a deep WR draft coming up in a month.

But it's all just opinion.  Some people who come here for a release, or for a break from busy lives, or just for entertainment.  It's annoying to them to see thread after thread about a singular opinion (that we have so much cap room and have no patience to not spend it heavily right away).  How could a person seriously get ANGRY about not signing Austin Howard for over $6M/yr, Brandon Pettigrew for over $4M/yr, or both? Really? That's who some want locked in as the Jets' starter for the next 3 seasons? The same complaint about not signing them will turn into a complaint for having signed & locked into them for so much, and it wouldn't take until mid-season.  Wasn't long ago people were furious with our GM for not sealing the deal on Asomugha. I think we know how that one would have turned out for us.

Your last sentence sounds good, but it seems to only be a valid opinion - for critics - if one is critical.  You can know he's terrible but you can't know that he isn't.  It's tough to read this board the past few days and come away with thinking the angry folks feel anything but that.  Maybe I'm just less critical because I don't see the Jets as true contenders until it's known that we have a true asset at the QB position.  Until then, frankly, it's hard for me to get excited about who we supposedly lost out on.  

And someday I'll learn to hit the "Post" button in between my thoughts.  Someday.  

It's amazing how there are about 10 or so people on this board who are convinced that they are God's gift to knowing football. They spew their opinions as undeniable facts and bash, ignore and brag, mock, everyone who does not agree with them. When proven wrong, or questioned they turn hostile, or go on the attack. Are all Jets boards like this?  

The comma after "mock" shouldn't be there.

Fair enough.  Hey, everyone's entitled to an opinion but I think it's a matter of volume.  The # of posts that have been generated every day about how horrible things are has grown exponentially.  The first few times, hey, whatever; Jets fans complaining is nothing that should draw attention.  But it's nonstop.  More and more and more and more and more.  When the same people regurgitate the same opinion it gets on others' nerves.  And to read the way it comes across, one can practically hear the - let's call them "critics" - screaming from their keyboards.

And for some, it's based on not spending money for the sake of spending it IMO.  Like I should feel more comfortable about a so-so RT if he cost $6M/year instead of about half that.  Or the barrage of complaints about not signing someone like Pettigrew to a $5M/year contract to make sure his prior team didn't one-up us.  

Idzik has 1 year of GMing under his belt.  Even if you like him so far, as I do, you still can't give him a full grade.  I think things he's done that have been very good get brushed aside as though anyone would have done exactly the same thing and gotten exactly the same results (like getting a higher first round pick for Revis, with 1 suitor, when the guy needs a new $16M/year contract to keep him).  I think this is a convenient stance to take, and some of the same complainers were pissed he didn't take a 2nd & something else the next season, as was TB's alleged top offer, when they thought Idzik had overplayed his hand.  Also it's convenient to overlook, by the non-moves, all the bad moves that were not made.  Non-moves are never compared to bad moves in hindsight; they're only compared to moves that would have been tremendous boons to the franchise for years.  Talk about a convenient position to take.

I think those complaining - and hey, I complain plenty - are taking no less of a know-everything position than those who don't share the opinion.  That if money is available, then it must be spent right away.  My opinion is this is what got us into a hole that's taking us 3 years to climb out of (when you count the last year of Tannenbaum's tenure).  Top players are worth top money.  Mediocre ones are not.  At the same time, a team that isn't a realistic contender right now has little business forking over $12M/year on a 1 year contract for a CB no matter how many years he once played for the Jets.  I think you are very mistaken that Revis would have jumped on a deal as you described, but that's my opinion.  That if he would have accepted that, then he wouldn't have required even a 1 year team option in NE to cost them some $25M.  He wants to get back up to $16M asap, and is betting on himself on a 1 year deal in NE while 100% healthy the whole season.  If he'd take $12-13M/year for an extended deal NE could have given him that.  If that's truly what he wanted then he wouldn't have jumped at NE's 1 year deal before taking a few days to shop around as a FA.  Last, I think it is an even bigger reach to believe that Idzik made that call - the call to not call - on his own.  It's a non-move I agree with, and it isn't because I have any affinity for the non-self-made man that is Woody Johnson.

I think his draft last year was good with the obvious exceptions of his OL picks.  But they were all just rookies, and one of them (Campbell) was known to be a project from day 1.  Smith was a value pick at a position of obvious need.  Mornhinweg thinks he'll turn out ok (or that's what he sold Eric Decker anyway), and it's tough to expect immediate results from him based on his prior experience, limited snaps with starters last summer, and then an injury that limited him in the final weeks of his first NFL summer.  He'll either improve or he won't.  But I can hardly argue with the value of the pick, particularly in a piss poor QB draft.  The rest of the offseason was filling stop-gap players with his limited resources.  Also a rebuilding team needs draft picks, and it seems he wanted to max out on compensatory picks, which means not signing true UFAs when cut players will do as well (e.g. Willie Colon).

This year we really had one MASSIVE need, and that was at receiver.  I say only 1 massive need because it was a unit we needed multiple players for.  For that, you have to do better than just drafting, since the odds of drafting and starting 2 rookie WRs is as close to zero as it is for Mark Sanchez to win the NFL MVP award this season (or ever).  We have other areas of need, but they're a lot easier to find productive veterans for later IMO.  Guard, a 3rd corner, a safety, a 3rd down back better than Powell, a TE...these positions I'd rather see what we can get in the draft from our mountain of picks, before we over-commit to huge dollars for a veteran who isn't a long-term solution anyway (like either corner NE signed) or frankly isn't good enough to justify the dollars it would have taken to get him (Howard, Pettigrew, and maybe DRC).  I'm sure we're not done in free agency yet.  I just think he had a plan to really use his loads of draft picks in a loaded draft to further build the team.  What interrupts that is throwing huge dollars at players who aren't really that good, or who are temporary indulgences like Revis.  So we signed the biggest name available at the biggest need position.  We may yet sign another, but if we don't I really won't get into an uproar with such a deep WR draft coming up in a month.

But it's all just opinion.  Some people who come here for a release, or for a break from busy lives, or just for entertainment.  It's annoying to them to see thread after thread about a singular opinion (that we have so much cap room and have no patience to not spend it heavily right away).  How could a person seriously get ANGRY about not signing Austin Howard for over $6M/yr, Brandon Pettigrew for over $4M/yr, or both? Really? That's who some want locked in as the Jets' starter for the next 3 seasons? The same complaint about not signing them will turn into a complaint for having signed & locked into them for so much, and it wouldn't take until mid-season.  Wasn't long ago people were furious with our GM for not sealing the deal on Asomugha. I think we know how that one would have turned out for us.

Your last sentence sounds good, but it seems to only be a valid opinion - for critics - if one is critical.  You can know he's terrible but you can't know that he isn't.  It's tough to read this board the past few days and come away with thinking the angry folks feel anything but that.  Maybe I'm just less critical because I don't see the Jets as true contenders until it's known that we have a true asset at the QB position.  Until then, frankly, it's hard for me to get excited about who we supposedly lost out on.  

And someday I'll learn to hit the "Post" button in between my thoughts.  Someday.  

Seriously, that was very impressive. I think if I tried to write that much I would get that Carping Tunnel crap, er something.

Archived