Pace is back, 2 for 5.

aec4

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets re-signed OLB Calvin Pace to a two-year, $5 million contract.

Pace revived his career during a quiet 10-sack 2013 campaign, adding 53 tackles and two forced fumbles. He hasn't missed a start in New York since 2010. Pace remains a worthwhile contributor, but is going on age 34. The Jets need to begin targeting a true franchise pass rusher to book end Quinton Coples. After signing Eric Decker, perhaps they'll pursue one in the draft's first round.

Meh signing, most likely to hedge our bets if we can't find his replacement this year or next. I'd also assume it's not structured in a way where it's painful to cut him next year. I can live with Pace for another year or two if that means we keep upgrading our offense. Also, dude seriously needs to buy dinner for the rest of the d-line for freeing him up for all these sacks. 

Solid move.  Nothing spectacular but he had a good year and it's a decent price for a possible starter.  Wasn't a position at which there seemed to be a particular bevy of young talent available in FA, and I'm sure Pace won't keep them from potentially addressing the position in the draft.  Also remember they have Barnes coming back from injury as well, who will likely be taking some snaps away from Pace.

Very much agree with this. Look at how many of the Jet FAs got signed by the Jets. The utter lack of interest in restructuring or signing him as a UFA shows seems to indicate that they're done with him.

Yep. It's obvious the Jets are not panicking with CRo being a great example.  They would have signed him.

They actually still may. If this Cardinal thing does't work out and Cro calls back saying he's into a one year show me deal or a 3-4 mil per contract for 3 years Idzik may bite. We're just done with him at anywhere near big time CB money. I think the Jets believe he is on the decline and will not get into a bidding war with him. I'm sure they would work it out if he came real cheap. I don't see too much interest out there for Cro other than the Cards.

I like the Pace signing. He's solid.

Agreed. It's a good signing for all parties. Pace was productive last year and it cost the Jets pretty much nothing to bring him back. Whereas Pace needs a dominant D-Line to be successful at this stage in his career

Meh signing, most likely to hedge our bets if we can't find his replacement this year or next. I'd also assume it's not structured in a way where it's painful to cut him next year. I can live with Pace for another year or two if that means we keep upgrading our offense. Also, dude seriously needs to buy dinner for the rest of the d-line for freeing him up for all these sacks. 

well said.

Archived