Pace is back, 2 for 5.

aec4

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to the 10 sacks, Pace showed good all-around play last season.  I wouldn't have cried if he was replaced with a demonstrably better player, but have no problems with him being on the field for another year.  The guy also showed the right attitude after being released and brought back on the cheap last season.

Agreed. Barr at 18 would be to good to be true for me so I doubt it happens lol do you know where he's projected to go in the first round? Do we have a shot at him?

He's been mostly considered a Top 10 pick but after the combine you started to notice he's still gonna be a work in progress. Slight frame, weak bench press, his interviews came off a little weak, he's a converted RB, sorta of a tweener really best suited as 34 OLB. Gotta figure Clowney and Mack are going before him (as edge rushers) so when you look outside the top 5 picks, not a lot of 34 Defensive teams looking for an OLB besides Baltimore and Pittsburgh (Pitt should be set there). He could surprisingly slide given how deep this draft is. BUT THEN HE GOES AND RUNS A FREAKING 4.41 40 at his pro day. So almost definitely gone before 18.  

He's been mostly considered a Top 10 pick but after the combine you started to notice he's still gonna be a work in progress. Slight frame, weak bench press, his interviews came off a little weak, he's a converted RB, sorta of a tweener really best suited as 34 OLB. Gotta figure Clowney and Mack are going before him (as edge rushers) so when you look outside the top 5 picks, not a lot of 34 Defensive teams looking for an OLB besides Baltimore and Pittsburgh (Pitt should be set there). He could surprisingly slide given how deep this draft is. BUT THEN HE GOES AND RUNS A FREAKING 4.41 40 at his pro day. So almost definitely gone before 18.

Wow thanks for the info. Sucks I really like the kid I hope he falls to us. I obviously like Mack even more but that's 100% not happening unless we trade up which we probably won't.

Oh man. I'll be brokenhearted if this guy doesn't make the roster.

I'm almost in tears at the thought of listening to Francessa (who I NEVER listen to) trying to say this guys name.  It's worth a roster spot for that (almost).

Thoughts on Calvin Pace's return

March, 16, 2014

MAR 16

5:50

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Outside linebacker Calvin Pace has agreed to a two-year, $5 million contract to return to the New York Jets for a seventh season. A few takeaways:

Pace

1. Exception to the Idzik rule: This is an un-Idzik-ian move because of Pace's age (33). General manager John Idzik has been trying to rebuild the roster for a year with younger players, sticking to one-year, minimum-salary deals for those on the wrong side of 30. Pace fell into that category last year, getting cut and re-signing for one year, $1 million. This time, Idzik made an exception, essentially rewarding Pace for a career-high, 10-sack season. It's usually not a smart practice, paying for past performance with a player near the end of his careers, but we're not talking about a lot of money here. Pace has a strong ally in Rex Ryan, who undoubtedly pushed for the return.

2. Not done yet: Bill Parcells used to have a saying for guys like Pace. He called them hold-the-fort guys -- i.e. holding the position until a younger player can be integrated into the system. The Jets have to think about finding an heir apparent at strong-side linebacker; put it on an already lengthy list of needs. They could address it on the second day of the draft, especially if Auburn's Dee Ford slips into the second round. Ohio State's Ryan Shazier might be interesting, but he's undersized for the Jets' scheme. It'll get real interesting if UCLA's Anthony Barr slips to the Jets in the first round (18th pick), which isn't farfetched. How would another front-seven pick grab you? The Jets have a few power rushers; they need a speed rusher.

3. Deceiving numbers: I wouldn't expect another double-digit sack season from Pace. As I wrote in a recent blog, his total from last season is misleading because he caught some big breaks and benefitted from excellent pass coverage. Consider: Six of the 10 sacks occurred when the quarterback held the ball for at least 4.0 seconds, unofficially -- i.e. a coverage sack. Another 1.5 sacks came when he was unblocked -- blown blocking assignments by the offense. Give Pace credit for finishing, just don't write him down for another 10 spot.

Good re-signing, surprised he got two years but good for him. Good situation for Idzik to draft someone to groom behind him.

Agree, and I wouldn't be surprised if Rex talks John into bringing back Ed Reed at a similar price, but only 1 year.

Yeah but if they were in damage control mode Cro would have been here already.That's my point.

I actually hope they sign Cro back. I think he's just lovely and miss him. 

don't want Cro back.  didn't want Pace back.  if we are in a rebuild, let's rebuild.  last year I know we had to dumpster dive.  but why bring in the Geritol boys in the second year of a rebuild?   besides, I am on record: my considered medical opinion is that Cro's hip is shot, probably arthritic. He has had that hip injury before this season.  As for Pace, I don't even want Harris.  Why would I want Pace?

Archived