Pace is back, 2 for 5.

aec4

don't want Cro back. didn't want Pace back. if we are in a rebuild, let's rebuild. last year I know we had to dumpster dive. but why bring in the Geritol boys in the second year of a rebuild? besides, I am on record: my considered medical opinion is that Cro's hip is shot, probably arthritic. He has had that hip injury before this season. As for Pace, I don't even want Harris. Why would I want Pace?

We have enough holes already why do you want to create more ? Pace had 10 sacks last year who would you have signed to replace pace for this year ?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have enough holes already why do you want to create more ? Pace had 10 sacks last year who would you have signed to replace pace for this year ?

agree,,we will make big splash on Day 1 of FA in 2015 IF we are SB ready or 2016 at latest. 

don't want Cro back.  didn't want Pace back.  if we are in a rebuild, let's rebuild.  last year I know we had to dumpster dive.  but why bring in the Geritol boys in the second year of a rebuild?   besides, I am on record: my considered medical opinion is that Cro's hip is shot, probably arthritic. He has had that hip injury before this season.  As for Pace, I don't even want Harris.  Why would I want Pace?

Like I said, it is always a good idea to have vet leadership around. Especially when they know the system inside and out.  Pace is a great guy to keep around. He is even keeled and has been effective against the run as well as the pass. He's on the decline of course, but if we are going to bring in youth for his position and we have to have depth, a guy like Pace for 2.5 mil not the worst thing to have for a year or two while the kids get up to speed. 

Didn't work real well for Howard, and Cro

Howard was overpaid by $2M/year.  The Jets actually offered nearly that (stupidly IMO).

Cromartie was given an $8M/year contract by the team and got 3/4 of it over the first 3 years.  There isn't a competent GM in the NFL that would have let him finish out that contract.  Presently, there aren't any GMs who will offer him within a couple million of that even for 1 season.  And there are plenty of teams who could use a CB.

He was worse than most rookie corners last season.  His game is not based on brains but on being physically superior to the guys he's covering.  Amazing athlete with elite speed and for the position he's a freaking giant.  As soon as that speed starts to leave, though, he's going to give up a ton of big/important catches and will be out of the league very quickly after that.  This is not the type of CB who will slide back to safety when he "only" runs a 4.50-4.55.  For Cromartie it will be the end of his career.  My opinion, anyway.

Good signing because it's cheap enough that it could be just for depth.  If he's a backup who goes in & out, or is just insurance, it's low enough that if we suddenly got someone so much better, keeping him could be justified as a backup (until or unless his skills suddenly drop off a cliff and he's just useless or something).

I wouldn't mind if the jets grabbed 2. inside and outside

I'd love Chris Borland in the 3rd-4th round.  In a season or two, he could be Harris' replacement, and is already better than Davis.  Only reason he falls is because he has "short arms".  Which is one of those useless measurables that caused Zach Thomas to drop to the fifth round.

I'd love for us to grab Barr, but we still have so many other holes to fill...

Which is exactly why you take Barr.  He's a coveted talent.  You can't fill all your needs at 18, but if Barr is legit, he fixes several problems.  Reaching for a position of need leads you to draft inadequate players, and that position ends up being a need all over again.

We took Richardson last year despite him playing a position of relative strength for our roster.  1 year later, we can't imagine life without him. 

Which is exactly why you take Barr.  He's a coveted talent.  You can't fill all your needs at 18, but if Barr is legit, he fixes several problems.  Reaching for a position of need leads you to draft inadequate players, and that position ends up being a need all over again.

We took Richardson last year despite him playing a position of relative strength for our roster.  1 year later, we can't imagine life without him. 

I still remember shaking my head in confusion once it was announced we drafted Richardson.  I couldn't believe we drafted another d lineman that high.  But now I love the pick and take back my initial reaction to the pick.  Kid's a beast.  

I have a feeling the crowd will be pretty unhappy if we go defense in the 1st round yet again, but who cares.  If Idzik goes with his BAP and it's Barr, then do it.  Barr opposite Coples would be very nice.  Our defense could be so nasty.

I still remember shaking my head in confusion once it was announced we drafted Richardson.  I couldn't believe we drafted another d lineman that high.  But now I love the pick and take back my initial reaction to the pick.  Kid's a beast.  

I have a feeling the crowd will be pretty unhappy if we go defense in the 1st round yet again, but who cares.  If Idzik goes with his BAP and it's Barr, then do it.  Barr opposite Coples would be very nice.  Our defense could be so nasty.

It takes several offseasons to go from a "blank slate" to a "contender", so we should only be unhappy with a pick if it's a reach.  Draft impact players regardless of position, and eventually you'll have solid, young players all over the field as your foundation.  That's how the best teams are built.

One addendum to this is that you also have to take the VALUE of the position into your judgment of who the "Best available players".  There's a good reason TE's are paid less than WR's, and safeties are paid less than CB's. 

Even if Ben Ebron is the next Vernon Davis I'm not convinced he'd be the right choice at 18.  And the way the game is played, the value of safeties has gone down over the years.  They're not really allowed to hit anyone anymore, meaning that safeties have morphed into poor man's CB's.  We survived as a top defense with Eric Smith at safety.  We don't need to be taking Ha-Ha Clinton Dix at 18 unless we really feel he's the best value pick available.

It takes several offseasons to go from a "blank slate" to a "contender", so we should only be unhappy with a pick if it's a reach.  Draft impact players regardless of position, and eventually you'll have solid, young players all over the field as your foundation.  That's how the best teams are built.

One addendum to this is that you also have to take the VALUE of the position into your judgment of who the "Best available players".  There's a good reason TE's are paid less than WR's, and safeties are paid less than CB's. 

Even if Ben Ebron is the next Vernon Davis I'm not convinced he'd be the right choice at 18.  And the way the game is played, the value of safeties has gone down over the years.  They're not really allowed to hit anyone anymore, meaning that safeties have morphed into poor man's CB's.  We survived as a top defense with Eric Smith at safety.  We don't need to be taking Ha-Ha Clinton Dix at 18 unless we really feel he's the best value pick available.

I thought the consensus was TE's were on the upswing ever since the success the Pats had with Gronk and Hernandez.  Then the 2 TE set became a craze.  So do you think what the Saints paid Byrd is over the top?  

Perfectly said. The Jets must take BAP this year just like they did last year.

Yup.  He got a couple of sacks and was leading the team with 12 QB hits when went down 5 games into the season.  

Completely misread your post -- thought you were asking how much he'd be getting (as in new contract).  Ignore my stupidity :)

To your point, though, I'm hopeful for him this year.  One of those situations where you could improve without really making any new moves if things go right.

Completely misread your post -- thought you were asking how much he'd be getting (as in new contract).  Ignore my stupidity :)

To your point, though, I'm hopeful for him this year.  One of those situations where you could improve without really making any new moves if things go right.

If Rex can somehow get him back to 2011 form (or better) it will be a big improvement with very little outlay.

I thought the consensus was TE's were on the upswing ever since the success the Pats had with Gronk and Hernandez.  Then the 2 TE set became a craze.  So do you think what the Saints paid Byrd is over the top?  

Gronk and Graham play with 2 of the best QB's in the NFL.  And neither were 1st round picks. 

Yes, I think the Saints overpaid Byrd.  Though for Rob Ryan's system, safety may be a little more valuable.  They need guys who can produce turnovers.  Their D has been a mess for years.  For a defense like ours, safety isn't very valuable.

Archived