Why....

SoFlaJets

What is the last team that signed a big free agent and won a championship

Saints? Though, it took a while.

New Orleans.

80 and I were discussing this in another thread over the weekend.  Going all the way back to the mid-90's Dallas dynasty there were 2-3 teams that won Super Bowls with big time FA additions.  I'll go look for the list and post it in here if I can find it.

Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com

After Pace collecting 10 sacks for Jets in 2013, the team should be able to manufacture more sacks out of their veteran group again in 2014.  Pace will push for time on the edge along with Antwan Barnes, who will be back this year after a season-ending injury in 2013.  Even though the team has now re-signed Pace the talent at the edge is still thin, so look to see if the Jets don’t add linebacker / defensive ends in the middle rounds of the NFL Draft in May as longer-term and depth solutions.

While there were some tempting veteran edge players like DeMarcus Ware and Julius Peppers that were on the market shortly, none seemed interested in coming to New York.  After letting DRC and a number of players walk without contracts, it’s hard to not feel frustrated with John Idzik’s slow-playing of free agency.  So far the Jets have done more in re-signing or cutting their own players over to bringing new players into the organization.  

The problem with the 2013 team was that it needed more talent to compete for a playoff spot.  So far, the team doesn’t seem substantially better than it was after almost a week into free agency outside the Eric Decker signing.  95% of the top 50 free agents have signed with clubs.  Little top-tier talent remains, are the Jets going to make a few calculated risks?

No one is suggesting that the Jets should throw good money after bad contracts.  But comparing the amount of cap space the team has to the level of talent the team has imported thus far?  As best I can tell, the natives are getting restless …

Well let's see...

XLVIII -- Seattle Seahawks, built through draft

XLVII -- Baltimore Ravens, built through draft

XLVI -- New York Giants, built through draft

XLV -- Green Bay Packers, built through draft

XLIV -- New Orleans Saints, debatable -- biggest piece was a FA (Brees).  Could make an argument this team was built through FA.

XLIII -- Pittsburgh Steelers, built through draft

XLII -- New York Giants, built through draft

XLI -- Indianapolis Colts, built through draft

XL -- Pittsburgh Steelers, built through draft

XXXIX -- New England Patriots, built through draft

XXXVIII -- New England Patriots, built through draft

XXXVII -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers, admittedly I'm a bit foggy on them...but I feel like they were a D built through the draft no?

XXXVI -- New England Patriots, built by Mo Lewis

XXXV -- Baltimore Ravens, built through the draft

XXXIV -- St. Louis Rams, mostly built through draft.  Kurt Warner was no big time FA pickup, Marshall Faulk was traded for.  Their other pieces (Bruce, Holt, Pace, etc) were drafted

XXXIII -- Denver Broncos, built through the draft

XXXII -- Denver Broncos, built through the draft

XXXI -- Green Bay Packers, built through the draft

After that, you get to the Cowboys/NFC ownage for about 10 years.  Regardless, the point stands.

^^^

Someone argued the Packers should be counted as a FA (and with Reggie White, that's fair).  If you're talking purely big FA additions, the Rams certainly aren't on that list.  The Ravens were also argued solely because of Anquan Boldin.  He's a good player and all, I don't take anything away from him...but you're crazy if you consider the Ravens a FA built team.  Regardless, for the sake of being fair we'll count them.

That'd leave you with Baltimore once, Green Bay once, New Orleans once.  3 out of the last 18.

If someone wants to come in and correct me, by all means.

^^^

Someone argued the Packers should be counted as a FA (and with Reggie White, that's fair). If you're talking purely big FA additions, the Rams certainly aren't on that list. The Ravens were also argued solely because of Anquan Boldin. He's a good player and all, I don't take anything away from him...but you're crazy if you consider the Ravens a FA built team. Regardless, for the sake of being fair we'll count them.

That'd leave you with Baltimore once, Green Bay once, New Orleans once. 3 out of the last 18.

If someone wants to come in and correct me, by all means.

One guy does not a fa build team make. Unless it's at qb and hes the star of your team. Even then that's a stretch.

One guy does not a fa build team make. Unless it's at qb and hes the star of your team. Even then that's a stretch.

I agree 100%.  That was the argument made in the other thread, that it's "laughable" to consider the Ravens and Packers teams built through the draft when they had Reggie White and Anquan Boldin.

My point is, even if I begrudgingly give those two teams...it's STILL only 3 out of 18. 

Also bear in mind that Brees was coming off surgery from an injury in the last game of the season.  I'm not sure what contract he got at the time, but it wasn't the equivalent of Peyton money.  He had one good year in San Diego (they drafted Eli then swapped him with Rivers because he had been subpar up to that point), then got hurt at the end of the season.

But again...I'll concede the Saints.

Also bear in mind that Brees was coming off surgery from an injury in the last game of the season.  I'm not sure what contract he got at the time, but it wasn't the equivalent of Peyton money.  He had one good year in San Diego (they drafted Eli then swapped him with Rivers because he had been subpar up to that point), then got hurt at the end of the season.

But again...I'll concede the Saints.

Yeah, there were some definite concerns surrounding Brees when he was a FA, but of course you cannot dispute that his signing has been a complete difference-maker for the Saints.  Just consider that the Dolphins opted to trade a 2nd rounder for freakin' Daunte Culpepper rather than sign Brees (which is both telling and absolutely hilarious).  Teams were having Pennington-type nightmares (who was coming off his second consecutive rotator cuff tear) when it came to Brees.

What is the last team that signed a big free agent and won a championship

You mean moves like this ( Wes Welker, G Louis Vazquez, CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and DT Terrance Knighton) kind of helped Denver get to a super bowl.

Or you could say Seattle won a super bowl because they also added guys like Percy Harvin(huge trade) and DEs Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett.

Does being the big spenders in FA win you championships or even get you there?   No, ask the Dolphins, Eagles, or Redskins.   But obviously adding great players who help your team is a plus over hoping you are some genius who can draft 12 All pros every year.

Yeah, there were some definite concerns surrounding Brees when he was a FA, but of course you cannot dispute that his signing has been a complete difference-maker for the Saints.  Just consider that the Dolphins opted to trade a 2nd rounder for freakin' Daunte Culpepper rather than sign Brees (which is both telling and absolutely hilarious).  Teams were having Pennington-type nightmares (who was coming off his second consecutive rotator cuff tear) when it came to Brees.

There are always risks.  Nobody thought Brees would be Brees, but he was a pretty damn QB for a franchise that pretty much was recovering from the Ryan Leaf fiasco back then.       If you switched Culpepper to the Saints and Brees to the Dolphins,  there might not be the stranglehold of the Pats winning the AFC East every season. WHo knows, but we do know the Saints would pretty much never have any suspensions and probably no playoff births.      

That entire franchise was recovering from Katrina and with Brees, Bush, Peyton as HC, they changed not only the team, but that entire city around in a sense.    The city still has issues, but the Saints probably aren' t even in New Orleans at this point if Culpepper was a Saint and Brees was a Dolphin.

You mean moves like this ( Wes Welker, G Louis Vazquez, CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and DT Terrance Knighton) kind of helped Denver get to a super bowl.

Or you could say Seattle won a super bowl because they also added guys like Percy Harvin(huge trade) and DEs Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett.

Does being the big spenders in FA win you championships or even get you there? No, ask the Dolphins, Eagles, or Redskins. But obviously adding great players who help your team is a plus over hoping you are some genius who can draft 12 All pros every year.

I actually looked at Super Bowl losers too, you'd be surprised how few were FA heavy like the Broncos.

As for Seattles trades, no question whatsoever. However being active in trades and being active in bringing in big name FAs are two very different things. Just earlier in the thread the big names the jets have brought in the past 5-6 years were discredited if they were by trade :P

The facts are the facts. A large majority of teams to win the Super Bowl the last two decades did not have the spending frenzy everyone seems to want this off season.

It can be argued that that's not what this team needs or that the NFL is changing or anything else...but historically speaking it is what it is.

I'll add that it goes without saying that bringing in guys to compliment good drafting (whether via trade or FA) is a plus. You can't rely solely on drafting. But to try any fix all issues through signing free agents just doesn't work

Yeah, there were some definite concerns surrounding Brees when he was a FA, but of course you cannot dispute that his signing has been a complete difference-maker for the Saints. Just consider that the Dolphins opted to trade a 2nd rounder for freakin' Daunte Culpepper rather than sign Brees (which is both telling and absolutely hilarious). Teams were having Pennington-type nightmares (who was coming off his second consecutive rotator cuff tear) when it came to Brees.

Also, agree 100%.

I really just wanted to lob the rotator cuff softball up for ya. Knew I could depend on you

Every time I think of Nancy Kerrigan I think about my friend Rich telling me how him and a couple of his Bahston buddies were at a party and ended up anally assaulting her fat drunk cousin who was puking while getting porked by them a perfect mental image...it was consensual too LOL..those Pats fans, I'll tell ya

Every time I think of Nancy Kerrigan I think about my friend Rich telling me how him and a couple of his Bahston buddies were at a party and ended up anally assaulting her fat drunk cousin who was puking while getting porked by them a perfect mental image...it was consensual too LOL..those Pats fans, I'll tell ya

Gross.

Archived