Giants Sign DRC

brian101193

One of the talking heads on NFL radio mentioned that this is DRC's fourth team.  ARI, PHI and DEN all let him walk.  It's a fair point.  There may be more to DRC than meets the eye and that makes him not worth even $7mm/year.  Not to be a sour grapes kind of guy, but it is a point worth considering before you pull the trigger.

Sloppy 4ths, it's like the Lindsay Lohan of CBs. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the BPA is a cornerback. If not, were using our first rounder on need.

Goodbye Marquise Lee and Brandin Cooks.

Idzik has stated explicitly that he is going to draft BPA regardless.  If the #1 player on their board was a CB, that was going to be the pick despite signing DRC or not, pretty sure drafting Sheldon was a prime example of that.

so shoring up a position of need with the best available option, after letting all the other top options go by is a knee-jerk reaction? whats not knee-jerk? signing some mediocre player off the scrap heap or investing yet another high round pick in cornerback?

We did that for WR and yet everyone still seems to be pissing and moaning. We have 12 draft picks coming up and the ability to still resign Cro and a few other veteran stop-gaps, the secondary is going to be better than it was last year.

We did that for WR and yet everyone still seems to be pissing and moaning. We have 12 draft picks coming up and the ability to still resign Cro and a few other veteran stop-gaps, the secondary is going to be better than it was last year.

better than it was last year why? what makes you xcome to that conclusion? because it definitely has the potential to be worse also

DRC got 5 years/$35M. That does not seem like an overpay to me. What exactly did Izdik offer? Does he understand that we have tons of cap space? 

Because the contract isnt too bad, I am very confused. 

Love to be a fly in Rex's office.

bc_normal.jpg
RT @AdamSchefter: Giants are giving CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie a 5-year, $39M deal, including $15M gtd, per source.

Idzik has stated explicitly that he is going to draft BPA regardless. If the #1 player on their board was a CB, that was going to be the pick despite signing DRC or not, pretty sure drafting Sheldon was a prime example of that.

I don't think this is going to happen. It's not a great class and we're not really showing a lot of interest. Milliner was the top prospect at the position last year throughout the process and this year nobody can tell you with a whole lot of confidence who even goes first. Same thing for Richardson at another relatively weak position in a super strong class overall and this probably isn't a coincidence.

8 million a year is to much for this guy

We'll see how the $7 mil APY breaks down. Obviously, the 5 yrs. is to spread the SB out over... he'll never see yr. 5. Probably heavily front loaded with an out after yrs. 2 or 3, like all the other good GM's are doing.

better than it was last year why? what makes you xcome to that conclusion? because it definitely has the potential to be worse also

I stated it previously in another thread, but I'll summarize here:

1) Milliner graded out very well his last month of the season and finished as defensive player of the week.

2) Antonio Allen won't be losing playing time to Ed Reed. It was clear Allen was the superior player and showed it. 

3) Cro was ranked 105 out of 110 CBs last year, it's almost impossible to get worse play.

And the most important reason is that I see our offense taking a big step forward. One of the main reasons for the little turnovers is that teams had a lead the majority of the games and could take short, safe throws instead of the down and distance ones.  I think our offense improving is going to have a bigger impact on our secondary than any CB we add.

We'll see how the $7 mil APY breaks down. Obviously, the 5 yrs. is to spread the SB out over... he'll never see yr. 5. Probably heavily front loaded with an out after yrs. 2 or 3, like all the other good GM's are doing.

but when they cut him they have to eat the guaranteed money, no?  I don't think they can front load it that much.

but when they cut him they have to eat the guaranteed money, no?  I don't think they can front load it that much.

If it's front loaded that means they have to give him around 10 a year for the first 2.  The thing averages out at 7.8 million a year for 5 years.

I don't think this is going to happen. It's not a great class and we're not really showing a lot of interest. Milliner was the top prospect at the position last year throughout the process and this year nobody can tell you with a whole lot of confidence who even goes first. Same thing for Richardson at another relatively weak position in a super strong class overall and this probably isn't a coincidence.

While you could be right, I'm not going to guess what Idzik thinks, I'm going to go off what he has repeatedly said and what he's done.  He's explicitly stated that the draft is for BPA and free agency is for need.  He drafted BPA in his first draft, one of them being a defensive lineman, following the drafting of two first round defensive lineman.  I see no reason to think he wouldn't draft Justin Gilbert or Dennard if he fell, even if DRC was on the team.  Wilson's contract is going to be up and you need as many talented CBs as you can get in this league.  I just don't see Idzik drafting Dennard or Gilbert over Lee/Beckham/Cooks that much moreso now than I did if we made the DRC trade.  I'm sure it has some weight if the difference was between the 11th ranked play on your board and say the 13th ranked player, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion we're going CB in the first round now.  I still think WR is a bigger need than a second #1 CB.

#Giants CB DRC gets a five-year deal worth $39M with $14M guaranteed, source said. He’ll receive a $10M signing bonus and $16M over 2 years.

8 million a year.  This guy just ain't that good.  He had one good year, in a contract year, and sucked before that.

With that said the Jets are in a bind at CB.  There isn't much out there.   Can't see Milliner, who stunk for 12 games last year, and Wilson, who is a deent slot guy, but is going to get killed outside, carrying the load

I see two. Gilbert sucks and Dennard sucks.

The point was not to debate the talent-level of Gilbert or Dennard, it was to show that IF they were the top player left on the Jets' board, that's who Idzik is selecting, regardless of free agent acquisitions.  I don't think CB is any more likely the pick now that it would have been if we signed DRC. I still fully expect them to select Lee, Beckham or Cooks in the first.

8 million a year.  This guy just ain't that good.  He had one good year, in a contract year, and sucked before that.

With that said the Jets are in a bind at CB.  There isn't much out there.   Can't see Milliner, who stunk for 12 games last year, and Wilson, who is a deent slot guy, but is going to get killed outside, carrying the load

Whose fault is that? It can't be Idzik's fault, because apparently nothing is Idzik's fault ever, no matter what.

The point was not to debate the talent-level of Gilbert or Dennard, it was to show that IF they were the top player left on the Jets' board, that's who Idzik is selecting, regardless of free agent acquisitions.  I don't think CB is any more likely the pick now that it would have been if we signed DRC. I still fully expect them to select Lee, Beckham or Cooks in the first.

If this is actually the way they g,o who are the projected 2nd or 3rd Rd. CB's?

Thanks Idzik

My feelings exactly. I was driving home when I heard it on ESPN , almost drove the Jeep into a bridge abutment . What a bunch of aholes. . We can't rely on the draft since we're picking in the middle of the pack in every round. Free agency , especially with being 40+ mil under the cap, was our chance to plug some major holes. I don't get it. 

I stated it previously in another thread, but I'll summarize here:

1) Milliner graded out very well his last month of the season and finished as defensive player of the week.

2) Antonio Allen won't be losing playing time to Ed Reed. It was clear Allen was the superior player and showed it. 

3) Cro was ranked 105 out of 110 CBs last year, it's almost impossible to get worse play.

And the most important reason is that I see our offense taking a big step forward. One of the main reasons for the little turnovers is that teams had a lead the majority of the games and could take short, safe throws instead of the down and distance ones.  I think our offense improving is going to have a bigger impact on our secondary than any CB we add.

Our offense is taking a step forward with Decker. One step. That's enough of a step that we don't need a good secondary any more?

CAN WE PLEASE STOP THE DRC TALK AND THREADS OR CONTINUE ON A GIANTS FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? You've been talking about Hakeem Nicks for the past ******* year.

People are going to talk about things that aren't interesting to you, it's the internet. Hell, you've been doing it to all of us since you signed up here.

#Giants CB DRC gets a five-year deal worth $39M with $14M guaranteed, source said. He’ll receive a $10M signing bonus and $16M over 2 years.

sh*t contract for a guy who has only played at the top of his game in a contract year. While it stings on the surface that we didn't get a sexy name to plug in at CB - my first inclination here is to side with the GM's decision on this.

What's so great about all these corners that their original clubs let them all go? Vontae Davis is the only guy who resigned with his club. Revis is the only one who is worth big money and he has bad blood here and cannot be trusted. Denver got ******* annihilated in the Superbowl. Seattle let a pair of guys go. San Francisco let a dude walk. Maybe we just have Milliner develop and a rotation of average guys on the other side. Everyone needs to chill the **** out.

Archived