Giants Sign DRC

brian101193

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want exposure no better place to get it here-prove yourself in New York market is worth more than in Houston , etc

You think that matters that much in the internet age?

I think if you want to live in/around NYC - which a lot of people with money want to do - then the Jets can be an attraction.  

From the Pauline stuff, it sounds like Idizk attaches a number to every FA, and isn't willing to go above it, which is long-term best practice. The problem is that in the short term, we now have to trot out Milliner and Wilson as the starting CBs, spend yet another top-50 pick on a CB (and then trust him to start as a rookie), and/or drag Cromartie's worm-eaten corpse back for another run.

Where are the other two places? Becase they weren't one of the 11 teams to have a losing record, they don't live in a third-world country like detroit, their facilities are state of the art, they seemingly have a team that was on the up-swing winning 3 of the last 4 games, they have one of the 5 youngest teams in the league, they have immense cap-room going forward to make additions provided their QB actually shows he can play in the league.

Not compelling.

It's not the most ideal situation, but there are plenty of teams worse-off than the Jets.

Like the Raiders?

It's a totally different scenario though, one where Idzik has all the leverage. Because of the new CBA, he can exercise his option and then use the franchise tag to lock Wilkerson up for a few more years without him ever seeing free agency.

He can yeah. But wouldn't that make him the highest per year player at his position?

From the Pauline stuff, it sounds like Idizk attaches a number to every FA, and isn't willing to go above it, which is long-term best practice. The problem is that in the short term, we now have to trot out Milliner and Wilson as the starting CBs, spend yet another top-50 pick on a CB (and then trust him to start as a rookie), and/or drag Cromartie's worm-eaten corpse back for another run.

So if you bought a PSL, jokes on you.

ewwwww

I'd rather him have a long-term plan as opposed to shell out big contracts to keep us above average to appease the fans. With the relative uncertainty that is our QB position, he may be waiting to spend big money on certain players until that settles itself out, which isn't the worst plan. 

The other thing I'm not certain with is if Idzik won't spend money on a player for Rex this offseason, why does everyone think he'll us the 1st rounder just to appease him come draft time?  If he's basically telling Rex to f*ck off by not signing one of these CBs, why is he going to change his draft strategy just to placate him? It's contradictory. 

MMehtaNYDNManish Mehta
Friend of Rex Ryan chimes in on news Jets couldn't land Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (or any legit CB in free agency): "Rex is pissed." #nyj
1 minute ago

Rex is the one who wanted Kyle Wilson and then failed to turn him into an starting-caliber player, so he can go kick rocks.

Not compelling.

Like the Raiders?

Oakland, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Minnesota, Tampa Bay and St. Louis are not places that I'm going to choose automatically over the Jets.  Probably include the Titans in there as well and maybe even Houston. What makes any of them so compelling?  The chance to play with a rookie QB who may or may not be better than Geno?  For a veteran that is getting paid the same amount of money, sure, one of the teams like Green Bay, New England, Diego and Denver are going to obviously be better, but there's a handful of teams, basically all of the ones without a proven QB that are on pretty equal footing.

Rex is the one who wanted Kyle Wilson and then failed to turn him into an starting-caliber player, so he can go kick rocks.

Source turns to friend, nice work by Mehta.  And agreed. Rex has a handful of high-drafted CBs on his roster already and will probably be getting another 2nd-4th round talent come May.  If he's the genius he boasts, he can make it work.

MMehtaNYDNManish Mehta
Friend of Rex Ryan chimes in on news Jets couldn't land Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (or any legit CB in free agency): "Rex is pissed." #nyj
1 minute ago

I call b.s. there is no way rex isn't happy with the improvements so far

Maybe Idzik can use some of the money he's so greedily hording to send you some xanax, maybe that'll mellow you out a bit.

I need some of those too!

wtf, is Idzik just sitting at home on facebook playing candy crush!? F me!

I want full-on Armageddon. I want dissension. I want civil war to rock Florham Park.

He's used to Tannenbaum, a guy who went out and spent whatever was necessary to bring in whatever things Rex wanted. This is why Rex is not a GM, and won't ever be a GM, and why Tannenbaum is out of a job.

Seriously, we just got done with one of the worst runs ever by a GM for this franchise, and his successor is doing everything the exact opposite way, and this is a problem? As far as I'm concerned "Do Everything the Opposite of Tannenbaum" should replace "Play Like a Jet" throughout the ******* building. Yeah, 2014 is probably going to be meh, but James Jones and Vontae Davis were never going to change that and it sure as sh*t wasn't worth sacrificing the long-term stability of the cap to see if it would.

Oakland, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Minnesota, Tampa Bay and St. Louis are not places that I'm going to choose automatically over the Jets. Probably include the Titans in there as well and maybe even Houston. What makes any of them so compelling? The chance to play with a rookie QB who may or may not be better than Geno? For a veteran that is getting paid the same amount of money, sure, one of the teams like Green Bay, New England, Diego and Denver are going to obviously be better, but there's a handful of teams, basically all of the ones without a proven QB that are on pretty equal footing.

Of those, the Raiders and Cleveland are clearly worse. Jacksonville has no state tax and Gus Bradley (the new popular coach). Tampa has no state tax and Lovie. Minnesota is an icy sh*thole, so I'm not going there regardless, but--like Houston--they have some talent and new coaches. The Jets have a coach on an interim deal, no QB, monster tax rates, a garbage stadium, a losing history, a scavenging, TMZ-like media consortium following it, and a reputation for ending the careers of free agents.

He's used to Tannenbaum, a guy who went out and spent whatever was necessary to bring in whatever things Rex wanted. This is why Rex is not a GM, and won't ever be a GM, and why Tannenbaum is out of a job.

Seriously, we just got done with one of the worst runs ever by a GM for this franchise, and his successor is doing everything the exact opposite way, and this is a problem? As far as I'm concerned "Do Everything the Opposite of Tannenbaum" should replace "Play Like a Jet" throughout the ******* building. Yeah, 2014 is probably going to be meh, but James Jones and Vontae Davis were never going to change that and it sure as sh*t wasn't worth sacrificing the long-term stability of the cap to see if it would.

Totally agreed. I think, personally, that Idzik is going to wait for the light to come on for a QB--any QB--then start building around that guy. Until that dude emerges, he's going to milk the cow, clean the garage, and slap pieces in where he can.

Totally agreed. I think, personally, that Idzik is going to wait for the light to come on for a QB--any QB--then start building around that guy. Until that dude emerges, he's going to milk the cow, clean the garage, and slap pieces in where he can.

Is the cow in the garage, or...?

I agree, he ain't worth that much, his older cousin who we let go is better. WTHBS, I will reiterate: Players just aren't too interested in playing for this owner, this team, this coach, these coaches. It ain't all the new GM's fault. Players aren't seeing too much promise from this Jets organization going forward-we better build through the draft because Free Agency has just flown out the window...hell. even james Jones decided Oakland is a better option. I'll take my chances on Miles Austin over Santonio.

Guys are going to Oakland and Detroit.  Has to tell you one thing:  it is all about overpaying for them

I do not agree AT ALL that it was one of the worst runs by a GM for this franchise.  Tannenbaum started off pretty well.  I honestly don't think that Tannenbaum started off any differently.  I agree that when he started bending to whims and rushing out to stick his fingers in the dyke that it all went to sh*t.  Not doing that from the start is a good thing. The Favre more was probably the end of the "smart" Tannenbaum.

I think the major issue a lot of Jets fans face is that we've had decades of incompetent people running the team. There have been a lot of truly incompetent front offices throughout the league. So the natural assumption is to believe that if things don't go the way they want it is just a by-product of a dumb person making dumb decisions.

I don't know enough yet to judge whether Idzik can be a successful GM, but what I glean from it is that he seems to be avoiding the big-time risks. We'll see if that's the right approach in the long-run. Whether Idzik's tenure here is successful is ultimately going to come down to how well he drafts anyways. This upcoming one is a big one for us and I'm hoping like hell we come away with good players. 

I do not agree AT ALL that it was one of the worst runs by a GM for this franchise.  Tannenbaum started off pretty well.  I honestly don't think that Tannenbaum started off any differently.  I agree that when he started bending to whims and rushing out to stick his fingers in the dyke that it all went to sh*t.  Not doing that from the start is a good thing. The Favre more was probably the end of the "smart" Tannenbaum.

Tannenbaum's last years here looked to me like he was a guy who knew he was going to get fired unless the Jets performed well. As a result, he knowingly made "borrow from tomorrow to pay for today" type deals that really crippled our cap flexibility because hey, if he gets fired, it's not his problem anymore anyways.

Archived