Last I checked, WR was our biggest need, and we got the # 1 WR on the market.

Jetsfan80

At corner, we have two former first rounders whom about half the teams in the NFL would like to have.  Milliner played outstanding down the stretch and Wilson is one of the better slot corners in the league.  Yet because we missed out on Vontae Davis, Darrelle Revis and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, somehow we're to believe we're sunk at the CB position. While any of those 3 would have been nice to have, particularly Davis (who Idzik coveted), it's difficult to believe we're really that bad off here.  Meanwhile, Antonio Cromartie is still available any time we'd like to bring him back.

Safety has never been a valuable position in Rex Ryan's defense, and we retained our starters from last season.  Antonio Allen, who pick sixed Tom Brady, is back.  Landry is back.  Ed Reed might be back.  Does Jairus Byrd or TJ Ward add an extra element to the defense?  Sure.  But let's not pretend that it is ever in the cards to overspend at this spot.  This defense was once ranked # 1 with Eric Smith at safety.  It can return to # 1 without Jairus Byrd.

We're supposedly missing pass-rushers.  Well, we gain one next year.  When Antwan Barnes returns.  Along with Quinton Coples and Calvin Pace.   Surely Rex Ryan can make it work with those guys.

The entire reason Rex Ryan was retained as HC came with the assumption that the defense would be fine under his guidance even if we didn't address all of our weaknesses.  I have to imagine we will come away with at least a few new players to the D with 12 draft picks.  Rex should have all the players he needs when all is said and done to field a high-caliber defense.  If he can't, he isn't the defensive genius we once thought.

No, our biggest need was clearly at WR, where only one player (Kerley) seemed capable of having an 800+ yard season regardless of QB.  So Idzik addressed it in free agency.  He brought in a player who has produced with three different QB's, and will surely produce here.  Need filled.

So instead of looking at what Idzik has NOT done this offseason, I choose to look at what he is accomplishing, and what it says about his philosophy.  As he promised, this is a team that will be built through the draft.  I'm willing to give Dee Milliner and Geno Smith a chance, because they've both shown flashes that they can and will improve their games.  I'll hazard a guess that Sheldon Richardson will continue to progress off his Defensive Rookie of the Year campaign.  And I imagine the 2014 draft will be a fun one.  

If the players we already have continue to progress, we'll show we never needed the pricey free agents we passed on.  And if we have another draft in 2014 like we did in 2013, we can expect to see some more impact players added into the fold that won't cost big dollars and be gone in 2-3 years.

The slow play is the right play.  If you cannot see this then this is not the team you'll want to follow.  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

totally agree,..I've agreed with your take all week, we've had zero talent on offense for too long but our defensive genius HC needs corners ...if you would've told me in January we'd spend all 12 draft picks and every FA dollar on Offense I would've signed for it, and shouldn't that be ok? Shouldn't the " best defensive mind in football" be able to draw something up?....I'm totally fine with our approach and even happier our GM isn't getting bullied by the child , frat boy HC running into his office and demanding he sign Santonio Holmes.

totally agree,..I've agreed with your take all week, we've had zero talent on offense for too long but our defensive genius HC needs corners ...if you would've told me in January we'd spend all 12 draft picks and every FA dollar on Offense I would've signed for it, and shouldn't that be ok? Shouldn't the " best defensive mind in football" be able to draw something up?....I'm totally fine with our approach and even happier our GM isn't getting bullied by the child , frat boy HC running into his office and demanding he sign Santonio Holmes.

We need Pro Bowlers all over the field on defense or Rex Ryan, who once beat Peyton Manning with Drew Coleman getting significant snaps, won't be able to do anything.  Duh.

Last I checked, we had more than 6 other needs that we haven't even begun to address.

They're not "needs".  They're "wants".  Our only significant need was WR.  We don't "need" corners or safeties, because we have 4 returning starters there.  We lost Austin Howard then immediately filled his spot with a better run blocker.  

Rex Ryan has 7 corners including two 1st round picks,..picks he made by the way. How many more damn corners must have have? How about developing Milliner and WIlson and Berry and Walls and the other 3 on the roster? 

Get a FS in the draft and call it a day. Move on to the offense. Rex has been crying corners for years, yet I dont know the last time our corners got us in the playoffs. Moving on. 

Since Idzik arrived, we've accumulated the following:

1.  The 2013 top overall rookie (Richardson)

2.  The 2013 top corner prospect (Milliner), who shut down Josh Gordon.

3.  The 2013 top QB prospect (Geno), who may well be a real life, actual QB if given time.  He also might be a better prospect than any QB in the 2014 draft, the way things are looking.  If he's not, oh well.  We burned the # 39 pick on him, not a top 10 pick.

4.  A nasty, mean runner (Ivory) who looks like a poor man's Marshawn Lynch; averaged 4.5 ypc behind a so-so line, with opposing teams stacking the box no less.  

5.  An underrated pass-rusher (Barnes), who was leading the team in pressures and had 2 sacks in 5 games before his injury.

6.  A former nobody WR (Nelson) who proved to be a nice # 4 and could play a big role on the '14 roster, even as the 4th option.  

7.  The 2014 top WR free agent (Decker), who has produced with 3 different QB's, without having to overspend; he could have easily been a Colt and been Andrew Luck's favorite target for the next 10 years.

8.  An upgrade at the RT position without having to pay $6M per season.

Last I checked, when did John Idzik become a scouting guru?

He didn't, but he ended up with the DROY as part of his 2013 haul, and that was without using his own scouts.  And he did so by making a pick most of us (including me) didn't like at the time.  He makes the unpopular moves but they're having a tendency to work out so far.  I'd say he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Archived