John Idzik boxes himself into a cornerback

stoicsentry

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It aint looking good.

If Idzk uses the first couple of draft picks on offense, Rex will blow a gasket.

Who could blame him? By my count, we've only got 7 former first-rounders on the defense right now. Not sure how any coach would be able to make that work.

Is that irrational? I'm not claiming the end is nigh, just that it's a little frustrating. I think that's fair. 

I was being facetious, Slats. I'm in the same boat as you. I've seen people express frustration here and get shouted down and compared to whining screaming children because they are perplexed as to what the actual plan is and don't have some sort of blind faith in some nebulous idea of "Idzik's plan" or the "Idzik way". 

Is that irrational? I'm not claiming the end is nigh, just that it's a little frustrating. I think that's fair. 

Where have you been, man? Anyone that even hints at a criticism of Idzik is getting mauled here lately. The way people act, you would think Idzik had a long track record of success behind him.

It is frustrating seeing the jints and Pats sign two CBs a piece while the Jets can't close on any. Thurmond, Browning, or DRC all would've fit Rex's defense.

Good point.  It would've been worth it to sign Thurmond (3.5M) simply for insurance purposes by the time we were courting DRC.  There is no young CB talent remaining.  None.  Idzik has struck out so far.  Not impressed.

Where have you been, man? Anyone that even hints at a criticism of Idzik is getting mauled here lately. The way people act, you would think Idzik had a long track record of success behind him.

Yeah, that is ridiculous.  Clear-headed, thoughtful-minded posters don't have to agree like sheep that he's somehow providing miracle work here.  He's not.  It's not unfair to state he's been missing on nearly every prospect.  And I'd go a step further by saying he was damn lucky to land Decker.  That was a team-friendly contract and everyone knows it.  If I were a betting man, I'd bet that this forum would be near-mutinous had he not signed Decker. 

It's fair to criticize his body of work to this point.  Absolutely fair.  I don't see why posters can't freely discuss such opinions.

Good point.  It would've been worth it to sign Thurmond (3.5M) simply for insurance purposes by the time we were courting DRC.  There is no young CB talent remaining.  None.  Idzik has struck out so far.  Not impressed.

Yes I thought this would have been a good pick up for us-for depth. He impressed me in the game he played against Giants late in the year. Not a surprise then Giants snatched him

Yeah, that is ridiculous.  Clear-headed, thoughtful-minded posters don't have to agree like sheep that he's somehow providing miracle work here.  He's not.  It's not unfair to state he's been missing on nearly every prospect.  And I'd go a step further by saying he was damn lucky to land Decker.  That was a team-friendly contract and everyone knows it.  If I were a betting man, I'd bet that this forum would be near-mutinous had he not signed Decker. 

It's fair to criticize his body of work to this point.  Absolutely fair.  I don't see why posters can't freely discuss such opinions.

Glad to see that, after you were finished touting the brilliance your own beliefs, you supported the concept of it being such a "clear-headed, thoughtful-minded" viewpoint by going out of your way to discount even what the team has accomplished so far in FA solely because of your baseless belief that it was "damn lucky".

But please, tell us all more about what absolutely fair criticism that is, or how simply not blindly falling in line with such completely unfounded absurdities somehow must equate to viewing a grand total of one week of the offseason as "miracle work", which literally no one has come close to saying.

Here's the bulk of your 2014 likely roster:

QB: Geno, Simms, Brett Smith/Tajh Boyd

RB: Ivory, Powell, Goodson

WR: Decker, Marqise Lee/Brandin Cooks, Kerley, Nelson

TE: Cumberland, Sudfeld, Draft pick

LT: Brick

LG: Winters

C: Mangold

RG: Colon

RT: Giacomini

K: Folk

DE: Mo

NT: Harrison

DE: Richardson

OLB: Barnes/Pace

ILB: Davis

ILB: Harris

OLB: Coples

CB1: Milliner

CB2: Bradley Roby

CB3: Wilson

FS: Josh Bush/Draftee

SS: Antonio Allen

Not terrible.

I think there's a difference between "can't" close on any and "chose" not to close on any.  Time will tell if it was wise, of course, and few doubt Revis will be better than whoever's opposite Milliner, but our situations were different than those in Denver, Indy, New England, and even with the Giants.  All of them know they're going all-in on their current QB.  The Jets are still rebuilding to see how many starters they can get for $700K-$3M before going for those who are $6M-12M to fill in the remaining holes.

I would have offered more than Idzik did for DRC, but I wouldn't have topped what the Giants gave him. It might work out for them, but there are a LOT of red flags on that player. 

I think if a guy comes in and says this will be a longer process to do right - like the most recent SB winner - you don't cut the guy's nuts off before his 2nd draft and demand high-priced players at positions that may yet be filled by draft picks.

Not terrible.

on paper at least it doesn't look like its gonna equate to more wins though. we may go 8-8 again

on paper at least it doesn't look like its gonna equate to more wins though. we may go 8-8 again

Perhaps so, but it's still pretty much the same situation it would have been regardless of what they did in FA, which is that it will all come down to what they can get out of Geno (or any other QB).  The Jets could've signed all three of Revis, Davis, and DRC, and certainly been better off (this year) if they had done so, but if the QB play doesn't significantly improve it's likely all for naught.

Not terrible.

We dont agree on some things here - but overall the Jets should be solid right now without signing another person. People forget that 5 of the guys in the Jets front 7 are under 23 and only going to get better. You dont need a dominant secondary if you can dominate the line of scrimmage.

I'm upset about the DRC thing and how Idzik has handled it - but I can't kill him until I see everything unfold. I'm one of the few on here that thinks it would be ok to go with Walls, especially if you get a FS in the draft or to draft a CB in the later rounds. There are some interesting mid round prospects.

I think there's a difference between "can't" close on any and "chose" not to close on any.  Time will tell if it was wise, of course, and few doubt Revis will be better than whoever's opposite Milliner, but our situations were different than those in Denver, Indy, New England, and even with the Giants.  All of them know they're going all-in on their current QB.  The Jets are still rebuilding to see how many starters they can get for $700K-$3M before going for those who are $6M-12M to fill in the remaining holes.

I would have offered more than Idzik did for DRC, but I wouldn't have topped what the Giants gave him. It might work out for them, but there are a LOT of red flags on that player. 

I think if a guy comes in and says this will be a longer process to do right - like the most recent SB winner - you don't cut the guy's nuts off before his 2nd draft and demand high-priced players at positions that may yet be filled by draft picks.

I don't have a major issue with not paying DRC over $8M/year, but -again- it's frustrating to see the Pats and jints not only sign Revis and DRC, respectively, but also sign Browner and Thurmond to reasonable deals. Either of those guys could've helped the Jets. 

It is frustrating seeing the jints and Pats sign two CBs a piece while the Jets can't close on any. Thurmond, Browning, or DRC all would've fit Rex's defense.

where have you been? you need to get your priorities straight. and please don't come back with the whole "I have a life outside of jn" garbage.thats just a cop out

I don't have a major issue with not paying DRC over $8M/year, but -again- it's frustrating to see the Pats and jints not only sign Revis and DRC, respectively, but also sign Browner and Thurmond to reasonable deals. Either of those guys could've helped the Jets. 

May be frustrating, but refusing to be the top bidder is not the same as "can't" close the deal, without qualifying that he can't because he chooses not to outbid those who are either overpaying or in different situations.

JMO.

May be frustrating, but refusing to be the top bidder is not the same as "can't" close the deal, without qualifying that he can't because he chooses not to outbid those who are either overpaying or in different situations.

JMO.

Sure, but what do you make of the report that he offered DRC a one year "show me" deal at 6 mil (I think that was the dollar amount) 

Do you discount that report entirely? And if you don't then, does that sound like the action of someone in which you should have absolute faith? He wasn't accepting that deal in a million years.

Sure, but what do you make of the report that he offered DRC a one year "show me" deal at 6 mil (I think that was the dollar amount) 

Do you discount that report entirely? And if you don't then, does that sound like the action of someone in which you should have absolute faith? He wasn't accepting that deal in a million years.

I have no reason to doubt the report, even though we've seen some prior reports this past week get debunked already.  DRC is the type of player that I'd rather see string 2 high-end seasons in a row before he gets high-end money.  If he was 24, that's one thing.  He's been in the league for a while now, though.

I don't know what DRC was accepting because I don't know what was being offered.  It could also have been his opening bid and that was already too far off to make a 2nd one.  I wasn't in the room so I don't know the context of it.  I could think of a way he would, and that's if he wasn't getting a big long-term deal that he wanted.  Then he could do worse than having his dollars propped up by being the transformative player who turns a bad secondary into an above-average one (if it even would play out that way with him). 

He took $15M guaranteed from the Giants and I don't blame him a bit for taking it.  But ultimately he got 2 years instead of 1 guaranteed, and $7M/year is $1M more per season than $6M.  It's not as far off as you're insinuating.  If the Giants offered him $5M/year or even $6M/year long-term maybe 1 year at $6M doesn't look as bad to someone who wanted much more and is willing to bet on his own performance.

I'm not saying it went down this way, but is this that far-fetched?

Idzik: I offer 1 year guaranteed at $6M with a big bump to $8M/year for the next 2 or whatever, if certain reachable incentives are met.  Incentives that should be met if you're truly worth more.

Reese: I offer 2 years guaranteed at $7M.  See if the Jets will top that.

Idzik: I will not top that.

All I'm saying is if you just look at the end number, and nothing else, it looks worse on its face than it may have played out.  

I have no reason to doubt the report, even though we've seen some prior reports this past week get debunked already.  DRC is the type of player that I'd rather see string 2 high-end seasons in a row before he gets high-end money.  If he was 24, that's one thing.  He's been in the league for a while now, though.

I don't know what DRC was accepting because I don't know what was being offered.  It could also have been his opening bid and that was already too far off to make a 2nd one.  I wasn't in the room so I don't know the context of it.  I could think of a way he would, and that's if he wasn't getting a big long-term deal that he wanted.  Then he could do worse than having his dollars propped up by being the transformative player who turns a bad secondary into an above-average one (if it even would play out that way with him). 

He took $15M guaranteed from the Giants and I don't blame him a bit for taking it.  But ultimately he got 2 years instead of 1 guaranteed, and $7M/year is $1M more per season than $6M.  It's not as far off as you're insinuating.  If the Giants offered him $5M/year or even $6M/year long-term maybe 1 year at $6M doesn't look as bad to someone who wanted much more and is willing to bet on his own performance.

Well, then this brings me to another point. If the deal he accepted from the Giants is a two-year deal and not far off from what we offered, why are there some among us acting as though such a deal would be a cap-killer and the kind of thing only a drunken sailor would do?

You know what, don't even respond. There are no answers. We just have to see it all play out.

Well, then this brings me to another point. If the deal he accepted from the Giants is a two-year deal and not far off from what we offered, why are there some among us acting as though such a deal would be a cap-killer and the kind of thing only a drunken sailor would do?

You know what, don't even respond. There are no answers. We just have to see it all play out.

But I will anyway.

$15M guaranteed vs $6M guaranteed.

If they were so far apart, DRC would not have hung around so long and taken the physical.  You don't sit around and go through a physical for a deal you are not going to accept in a million years.  

Right. The only thing similar about Hartline and Decker is their contracts.

Their numbers are very similar besides TD catches. Hartline hasn't exactly had a Peyton Manning type QB throwing him the rock either. Also take into account Decker has had other weapons (D.Thomas, Welker, Juluis Thomas) on offense help give him quality match ups against opposing defense. Hartline was a the Dolphins #1 WR in '12 playing with the likes of Davone Bess, Armon Bins and Marlon Moore. While I'd certainly give Decker the edge the comparison is not far off.

Their numbers are very similar besides TD catches. Hartline hasn't exactly had a Peyton Manning type QB throwing him the rock either. Also take into account Decker has had other weapons (D.Thomas, Welker, Juluis Thomas) on offense help give him quality match ups against opposing defense. Hartline was a the Dolphins #1 WR in '12 playing with the likes of Davone Bess, Armon Bins and Marlon Moore. While I'd certainly give Decker the edge the comparison is not far off.

Decker once produced with Tim Tebow at QB.  It's not like Decker suddenly emerged when Peyton Manning arrived.  He's far better than Hartline.

If they were so far apart, DRC would not have hung around so long and taken the physical.  You don't sit around and go through a physical for a deal you are not going to accept in a million years.  

This is the part that doesn't make sense for me. This guy supposedly turned down 6 years from the Broncos and yet he's offered a one year deal and he's considering it strongly enough to take a physical? Did he really think that might be as good as it gets? He already had a visit lined up with the Giants, what is it to take a physical for the Jets? A cab ride and an hour of his time?

Archived