Miles Austin...

Villain The Foe

Oh, this thread - like all the others - devolved into "we need #1 WR herp derp derp" generalizations? I'm shocked.

Anyway, your post is right. The fact that we have such a huge portion of men that root for this team that combine 100% buy-in to paranoia spoonfed to them by beat"bloggers" with a housewife's depth of understanding of the game is alarming, to say the least.

I disagree the men who post on this forum are dedicated fans that are tired and weary of let down after let down. 1969 I remember it well how about you?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok for arguments sake lets say Decker is the Jets #1 WR opposing teams defenses key on him who does that leave us with? Without another legit WR and a viable running game this offense has not improved since last season.

Honestly, if you have their number 1 guy on Decker and a safety in the box. You send speedy Hill on a go and you have Kerley and Cumberland with a mismatch somewhere. That or Hill has single coverage and drops the pass from Geno.

Honestly, if you have their number 1 guy on Decker and a safety in the box. You send speedy Hill on a go and you have Kerley and Cumberland with a mismatch somewhere. That or Hill has single coverage and drops the pass from Geno.

So you are going to rely on Stephen Hill to fill that vacancy and do that job consistently for an entire NFL season?  Even with his past history here? He had 1 good game his entire career.

So you are going to rely on Stephen Hill to fill that vacancy and do that job consistently for an entire NFL season? Even with his past history here? He had 1 good game his entire career.

To run really fast in a straight line most of the time and keep the safety busy? Why not? Dude is 22 and it's his third year. He should be able to do that much.

To run really fast in a straight line most of the time and keep the safety busy? Why not? Dude is 22 and it's his third year. He should be able to do that much.

Unless Troy Polamalu decides to hit him. No really Id rather have a guy I can trust and count on to make that big game catch that decides a win or a loss.

I disagree the men who post on this forum are dedicated fans that are tired and weary of let down after let down. 1969 I remember it well how about you?

I wasn't alive. 

It doesn't make me less of a fan. Just like pitching a tantrum every time something happens that I don't understand or can't control doesn't make you or anyone else more of a fan. Don't blame "disappointment" for your, or anyone else's, inability to keep your composure. We are all Jets fans, we are all disappointed. Perpetually.

Unless Troy Polamalu decides to hit him. No really Id rather have a guy I can trust and count on to make that big game catch that decides a win or a loss.

I still want to give our 3rd year 2nd round pick a shot. If he and geno take 5 steps forward we can have a competent offense.

Most receivers take 3-4 years to "get it".

I love how Stephen Hill has gone from a raw prospect we all knew would need time to come around. To the bane of existence and completely incapable of anything on an NFL field.

I wasn't alive. 

It doesn't make me less of a fan. Just like pitching a tantrum every time something happens that I don't understand or can't control doesn't make you or anyone else more of a fan. Don't blame "disappointment" for your, or anyone else's, inability to keep your composure. We are all Jets fans, we are all disappointed. Perpetually.

You forgot a few I I I me me me's. 

I was alive and I cant wait to see it happen again before I die. Years and years of consistent failures and mistakes takes its toll on a lot of us.

Most receivers take 3-4 years to "get it".

I love how Stephen Hill has gone from a raw prospect we all knew would need time to come around. To the bane of existence and completely incapable of anything on an NFL field.

So by the time his contract is up, "he gets it" and winds up on another team.  makes sense.    You can't wait 4 years for a guy to Maybe "be good" in the NFL.    Why did a guy like Hilton in Indy get it from the start?     He might have his issues, but at least he contributes.  Hill pretty much is pointless on the field after two years in the NFL.

wasnt miles austin good that one year? Sign the beast

Miles Austin and Kenny Britt both had very good years better than Stephen Hill has ever had yet many want to hold onto hope with this guy hes taking up a roster spot for a WR that would actually contribute.

I was thinking about this and it's debatable....but I think I agree. If you want to be a really tough grader by definition. Personally, imo, these are your true #1 guys right now. 

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Andre Johnson

3. Larry Fitzgerald

4. AJ Green

5. Dez Bryant

6. Demaryius Thomas

then...Josh Gordon (is one year enough to put him here? maybe)...Antonio Brown (awesome player, def the Steelers #1 but an NFL league wide legit #1? maaaybe or just a slight cut lower?)...Brandon Marshall and Vincent Jackson have to be part of the conversation. Then your Nelson's, Jeffrey's, Jackson's, Smith's & Colston's probably also a cut below a true #1 but all probably still better than Decker and very good. I dunno, we'll see. I mean, is Demaryius Thomas really that good without Manning? Is Jeffery that good without Brandon Marshall? Just saying. 

^ I would probably add Gordon, Brown, Marshall and V. Jackson as true #1s with the other guys a slight notch below. So about 10 true #1s all together? ^

Decker is probably somewhere in the 15-20 range I'd like to think. Which isn't bad at all and pretty much in line with his contract give or take. 

Unless he's a complete product of the system. I don't think he is. He was playing solid prior to Peyton even as a rookie and was an excellent WR at Minn and had a pretty good buzz around his draft stock. He slid I think due to a foot problem and didn't test prior to the draft. 

Until 2013 Roddy White certainly should have been on that list.

Miles Austin and Kenny Britt both had very good years better than Stephen Hill has ever had yet many want to hold onto hope with this guy hes taking up a roster spot for a WR that would actually contribute.

Miles Austin totaled 354 yards in his first three seasons combined.  If he were a Jet, you and the I-want-it-now crowd would have already run him off the team.

Miles Austin totaled 354 yards in his first three seasons combined.  If he were a Jet, you and the I-want-it-now crowd would have already run him off the team.

No I would have made excuses for the guy and said he was a project in the making and learning the position isn't that's how its done here?

So by the time his contract is up, "he gets it" and winds up on another team.  makes sense.    You can't wait 4 years for a guy to Maybe "be good" in the NFL.    Why did a guy like Hilton in Indy get it from the start?     He might have his issues, but at least he contributes.  Hill pretty much is pointless on the field after two years in the NFL.

WRs take time. It's a pretty well-established "given" about the NFL. The WRs that figure it out early are usually the exception, and/or usually have an above average QB working with them.

Bingo.

I've made a LOT of money over the years in fantasy football by making 3rd year wideouts my late round picks, which allows me to keep them for 2 years. I know, I know... fantasy football blah blah... but it's knowing this about real football that has benefited me in fantasy games.

No I would have made excuses for the guy and said he was a project in the making and learning the position isn't that's how its done here?

That's how it's done in the entirety of the NFL for about as long as you've watched football. It's widely been considered that the third year of a wide receiver's career is when the light normally turns on.  Guys like Randy Moss, Fitzgerald and Megatron have made people forget that the vast majority of wide receivers do not start dominating out of the gates. 

So if we have a player that hasn't performed we should cut them for an older injured guy that put up similar numbers to start their career.  If we have the top FA WR, he isn't a true number one because he got his with Peyton and Thomas. OTOH, these other guys are #1s even though they put up between 100-800 yards last season?  Britt, Nicks, Austin < Decker. 

So if we have a player that hasn't performed we should cut them for an older injured guy that put up similar numbers to start their career.  If we have the top FA WR, he isn't a true number one because he got his with Peyton and Thomas. OTOH, these other guys are #1s even though they put up between 100-800 yards last season?  Britt, Nicks, Austin < Decker. 

WR position 101.

You need to catch the damn ball. Hill cant catch Miles Austin and Kenny Britt can catch.

Case closed.

Is a free agent. I didnt know that the 'boys cut him given that we've been talking about DRC for a few days. 

What do you guys think about picking him up? I hear he has bad hammy's but is he worth a look? 

Austin plays like an old man he is not the dynamic player he once was. No thanks

I'd rather not tie up salary cap on a destined for the IR, even if it's veteran minimum type stuff. He's done.

Find the next Miles Austin.

We actually did find him, and his name was Miles Austin.  Have to say that the Jets read that one pretty well, although the Cowboys kept him.

Hill entered the leauge in 2012.  He has 6 dropped passes in those 2 years, only 1 in 2013.  In the same time frame Austin has 8 and Britt has 11.  Case closed.  

Did you ever watch Hill play live in person?  The guy is a terrible route runner as well. Stephen Hill couldn't carry Austins and Britts jock strap or catch it for that matter.

Did you ever watch Hill play live in person?  The guy is a terrible route runner as well. Stephen Hill couldn't carry Austins and Britts jock strap or catch it for that matter.

Live in person!  You are spending too much time worrying about jockstraps and performance from 2010.  Kenny Britt was basically benched for being lazy and failing to follow instruction.  Just what you want on a young team with a young QB.  We need pickups that will help us in 2014 and 2015.  Not 2011.

JW12- Hill can't can't catch why would we want a player that drops everything lets bring in Austin and other guys who also had slow starts to their career

Observer - Hill had one singular dropped pass last year, less than the other players you've mentioned.

JW12 - Yea but have you seen these other things Hill can't do that i've seen with my eyes plus he still can't catch i don't care if he only dropped one i saw his bad hands with my eyes

Observer - Okay.

JW12 - Thats what i thought izdick needs to be fired

JW12- Hill can't can't catch why would we want a player that drops everything lets bring in Austin and other guys who also had slow starts to their career

Observer - Hill had one singular dropped pass last year, less than the other players you've mentioned.

JW12 - Yea but have you seen these other things Hill can't do that i've seen with my eyes plus he still can't catch i don't care if he only dropped one i saw his bad hands with my eyes

Observer - Okay.

JW12 - Thats what i thought izdick needs to be fired

Stephen Hill was drafted ahead of Jefferey we even traded up to get this kid.Jefferey is miles ahead of him.  Westhoff didn't like the selection as well. He has been a project a wait and see WR im tired of waiting and not seeing a damn thing. If he isn't injured he's not playing anyway. Rex pulled the plug on him last season. Time to move on.

Stephen Hill was drafted ahead of Jefferey we even traded up to get this kid.Jefferey is miles ahead of him.  Westhoff didn't like the selection as well. He has been a project a wait and see WR im tired of waiting and not seeing a damn thing. If he isn't injured he's not playing anyway. Rex pulled the plug on him last season. Time to move on.

The kid doesn't turn 23 for another month, he's got more natural physical ability than any WR in the draft, but he's extremely raw and needs to be brought along slowly.  If he puts in a healthy season this year, he's going to easily surpass his first two season's numbers combined.

The kid doesn't turn 23 for another month, he's got more natural physical ability than any WR in the draft, but he's extremely raw and needs to be brought along slowly.  If he puts in a healthy season this year, he's going to easily surpass his first two season's numbers combined.

I hope you are right.

If we can trade HIll for Jefferey straight up, do it.  Until then, what is the ******* difference?  That GM has been fired.  You don't like injured receivers and your plan is Austin and Britt?  This is a very well thought out plan. 

I hope you are right.

I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again, but you just don't give up on a 22/23 year old kid who's measurables are out of the world and has shown that he can actually catch the ball.  His route running was improving as was his productive up until he got hospital passed in the tennessee game.

Not that measurables are everything, but just for comparison (when the season starts):

Hill--------->23 yo . 6'4" 215 lbs. 4.28 forty, 4.48 shuttle, 6.88 3-cone, 39.5" vert, 14 reps bench, 11'1" broad jump.

Watkins-->21 yo. 6'.5" 211 lbs. 4.43 forty, 4.34 shuttle, 6.95 3-cone, 34" vert, 16 reps bench (proday), 10'4" broad jump

Obviously Sammy is the superior player, which is why he's going in the top 10 picks. However, knowing how explosive Watkins is, you see the raw physical tools of Hill when you compare their numbers, which is a reason he's not going to be let go. You can't find guys with those numbers who also have actual NFL experience.  

If we can trade HIll for Jefferey straight up, do it.  Until then, what is the ******* difference?  That GM has been fired.  You don't like injured receivers and your plan is Austin and Britt?  This is a very well thought out plan. 

Those other guys were never Jets, so by merely being released from their team they obviously become more attractive and valuable to us.  I call it the vending machine theory. Normal snickers bar is average, but you see it drop out of the arms of that candy-machine goddess and it instantly becomes ten-fold more delicious.

I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again, but you just don't give up on a 22/23 year old kid who's measurables are out of the world and has shown that he can actually catch the ball.  His route running was improving as was his productive up until he got hospital passed in the tennessee game.

Not that measurables are everything, but just for comparison (when the season starts):

Hill--------->23 yo . 6'4" 215 lbs. 4.28 forty, 4.48 shuttle, 6.88 3-cone, 39.5" vert, 14 reps bench, 11'1" broad jump.

Watkins-->21 yo. 6'.5" 211 lbs. 4.43 forty, 4.34 shuttle, 6.95 3-cone, 34" vert, 16 reps bench (proday), 10'4" broad jump

Obviously Sammy is the superior player, which is why he's going in the top 10 picks. However, knowing how explosive Watkins is, you see the raw physical tools of Hill when you compare their numbers, which is a reason he's not going to be let go. You can't find guys with those numbers who also have actual NFL experience.  

With all due respect these numbers don't mean a damn thing if you cant catch and stay on the field.

Archived