John Idzik's latest fumbling of free agents leads to more Gang Groans for NY Jets fans

eboozer

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-gang-groans-fumble-article-1.1725052

John Idzik's latest fumbling of free agents leads to more Gang Groans for NY Jets fans

Idzik has not given Jets fans any hope that Gang Green can close the gap on the Patriots in 2014. The Giants, with not nearly the cap space, have already signed eight free agents, fixing their secondary, their return game and part of their offensive line.

Comments (17)

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, March 17, 2014, 11:50 PM.

Jets GM John Idzik (l.) refuses to endorse a Rex Ryan (r.) reunion with Darelle Revis.

John Idzik is known around the NFL for being a patient man, but his patience in free agency as he sits on a veritable fortune of salary cap space is now severely testing the patience of Jets Nation.

The Jets were pummeled with a gruesome 1-2 punch on Monday: Darrelle Revis officially was introduced as a member of the hated Patriots and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie signed with the hated Giants.

Sometimes, being a Jets fan is just a cruel assignment.

Free agency hits the one-week mark Tuesday at 4 p.m. Has anybody told Idzik it has started?

As the first phase of the market is just about all over – most of the big names have signed – Idzik has barely made a dent in the Jets’ primary needs with just two signings outside the building. The Broncos were so concerned about losing Eric Decker, despite 172 catches over the last two years, that they didn’t even offer him a contract, although he is an upgrade for the Jets, who had the worst receivers in the league last season.

Idzik, whose background is running the salary cap, has been too busy protecting Woody Johnson’s wallet. His plan must be to pick up some bargains as free agency enters phase two, but he had the money to make some quick strikes. Idzik has not given Jets fans any hope that Gang Green can close the gap on the Patriots in 2014. The Giants, with not nearly the cap space, have already signed eight free agents, fixing their secondary, their return game and part of their offensive line.

Johnson and Idzik allowed ego to get in the way when they refused to endorse the Revis Reunion that Rex Ryan and Revis very much wanted and let him escape to New England for what is essentially a one-year $12 million deal with just a $7 million cap hit this year.

Then the Jets had DRC in the building over the weekend. He’s not Revis or Richard Sherman or even Aqib Talib, who replaced him in Denver, but he’s surely better than Kyle Wilson, a starter by default at the moment.

RELATED: ROGERS-CROMARTIE TO MEET WITH BIG BLUE

The cardinal rule in free agency: If you want a player, barricade all the doors until he signs. Idzik unlocked the gates and DRC went running to the Giants.

“You bring a guy in that you want, you don’t kick the tires. I’m not a kick-the- tires guy,” one NFL source said Monday. “When you bring a guy in, you tell yourself, ‘We’re bringing him in because we like him and we want to sign him.’ If you don’t like him, why bring him in?”

The Jets have Dee Milliner and Wilson as the starting corners and the best news about that is it’s only March. Ryan loves Milliner, but if Wilson is still the starter in September, something went wrong. Ryan wanted DRC after not getting Revis, but once the former Bronco left Florham Park, he was not coming back. He went straight to East Rutherford — his itinerary was common knowledge – and the Giants signed him to a five-year, $35 million deal.

“Idzik is testing the patience of the agents,” one agent said. “He’s very deliberate and in free agency, it’s a game of musical chairs. There’s only so many seats and there’s only so many players. Idzik works at glacier speed. It’s good to be deliberate in certain instances, but when it comes to free agency, it’s dynamic, not static.”

Guess who is now the best cornerback left in free agency? That’s Antonio Cromartie, cut in a cap move by the Jets just 10 days ago. He’s still available and the Jets still need a corner after his second cousin signed with the Giants. Cro wants to come back, so maybe the Jets will now bring him back at their price, although after losing out on Alterraun Verner, Vontae Davis and DRC and showing no interest in Revis, the Jets may have surrendered valuable leverage. Once Idzik cleared out the bloated contracts of Santonio Holmes and Cromartie, he had ammunition to address some of the Jets’ biggest needs before continuing his methodical process of building through the draft.

Idzik went all-in on Decker with a five-year, $36.25 million deal that has $15 million in guaranteed money. The Jets hope Decker is not just a Peyton Manning creation because he will now try to put up No. 1-type numbers with Geno Smith as his quarterback. The Jets also had some interest in Green Bay wideout James Jones, but he signed Monday with Oakland. The Jets will survive without him. Idzik will try to find a true No. 1 receiver in the draft.

Idzik did sign Breno Giacomini to play right tackle – he was with him in Seattle — to replace Austin Howard, who signed with the Raiders. That’s an even exchange. Idzik’s other moves were re-signing his own players, including Jeff Cumberland, Calvin Pace and Nick Folk.

So, while the Patriots fixed their secondary by signing Revis and Brandon Browner and the Dolphins fixed their offensive line with tackle Brandon Albert and guard Shelley Smith, Idzik is sitting on Johnson’s wallet.

As Kermit The Frog says, “It’s not easy being green.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-gang-groans-fumble-article-1.1725052#ixzz2wKolDcpR

Stories like this get written because these beat writers need to write about something and they have been spoiled in the recent past. The Sanchez poor play is behind us, so are the Super Bowl guarantees, Tim Tebow is not in green or for that matter in the league, Rex Ryan's job security is no longer the issue, so what are these "journalists" going to write about. They have to put in some articles to make a living.

So now they are trying hard to invent a story of despair and disdain brought about by evil Idzik who will not sign free agents just for the heck of overpaying them. The sad part is there are fans who will fall for this BS hook, line and sinker!

The conspiracy theorist in me is starting to ponder: 

-Not adding veteran players to the roster with the vigor of a true "contender"

-Strategy of developing the youngsters on roster, and leaning heavily on the draft

-Facing a schedule that includes 5 playoff teams from 2013

-Looking ahead at a WR-rich free agency, and QB-rich draft in 2015

Are we aiming for a high draft pick in the 2015 draft? GastineauLives will be quick to point out that there is no such thing as "tanking" in the NFL, and I'm sure our players aren't going to just "lay down" for the season, but it doesn't mean the FO isn't setting the stage for a less-than-successful season. 

Last year we went 8-8, but a couple last second flags were major players in our not going 6-10.  A "W" is a "W", and .500 was enough for Rex to keep his job, but as free agents have demonstrated, the credibility of our current roster is closer to 6-10 than 8-8.

Would it pain anyone to think that we are staving off our big name acquisitions for a year with a better foundation in place, perhaps even a blue-chip QB prospect (Mariota, Hundley, Driskel, maybe even a big-ticket FA like Kaepernick)? 

According to the Jet Press Rex Ryan is 'pissed' at the way Iggy is handling free agency and frankly so am I. This guy seems more concerned about keeping Woody in caviar and golden Faberge eggs to spend any money. Revis was a HUGE blunder, not only in that the Jets didn't get him but the freaking Patriots did. Closing the gap on NE? I hardly think so. In fact I think the Jets are falling behind Miami. Freaking Christ Iggy SIGN SOMEBODY. If you take the time to bring a guy in for an interview sign the sumbich or why bother at all?

-Strategy of developing the youngsters on roster, and leaning heavily on the draft

Are we aiming for a high draft pick in the 2015 draft? GastineauLives will be quick to point out that there is no such thing as "tanking" in the NFL, and I'm sure our players aren't going to just "lay down" for the season, but it doesn't mean the FO isn't setting the stage for a less-than-successful season. 

Last year we went 8-8, but a couple last second flags were major players in our not going 6-10.  A "W" is a "W", and .500 was enough for Rex to keep his job, but as free agents have demonstrated, the credibility of our current roster is closer to 6-10 than 8-8.

Would it pain anyone to think that we are staving off our big name acquisitions for a year with a better foundation in place, perhaps even a blue-chip QB prospect (Mariota, Hundley, Driskel, maybe even a big-ticket FA like Kaepernick)? 

no

According to the Jet Press Rex Ryan is 'pissed' at the way Iggy is handling free agency and frankly so am I. This guy seems more concerned about keeping Woody in caviar and golden Faberge eggs to spend any money. Revis was a HUGE blunder, not only in that the Jets didn't get him but the freaking Patriots did. Closing the gap on NE? I hardly think so. In fact I think the Jets are falling behind Miami. Freaking Christ Iggy SIGN SOMEBODY. If you take the time to bring a guy in for an interview sign the sumbich or why bother at all?

Agree as far as im concerned Idzik sucks he hasn't won a damn thing here.

Stories like this get written because these beat writers need to write about something and they have been spoiled in the recent past. The Sanchez poor play is behind us, so are the Super Bowl guarantees, Tim Tebow is not in green or for that matter in the league, Rex Ryan's job security is no longer the issue, so what are these "journalists" going to write about. They have to put in some articles to make a living.

So now they are trying hard to invent a story of despair and disdain brought about by evil Idzik who will not sign free agents just for the heck of overpaying them. The sad part is there are fans who will fall for this BS hook, line and sinker!

Former GM Bill Polian said "Free agency is the opportunity for 32 teams to overspend for mediocre talent." So far Iggy has seen fit NOT to overspend, but not signing Revis and letting him go to NE was lunacy. 12 mil would have brought Revis back - for at least one year - and would have forced the Pats to overspend on DR-C or someone else. I would love to see Sidney Rice come here because it looks like the Jets will be spending their first round pick on yet another defensive player, most likely a safety or CB.

Former GM Bill Polian said "Free agency is the opportunity for 32 teams to overspend for mediocre talent." So far Iggy has seen fit NOT to overspend, but not signing Revis and letting him go to NE was lunacy. 12 mil would have brought Revis back - for at least one year - and would have forced the Pats to overspend on DR-C or someone else. I would love to see Sidney Rice come here because it looks like the Jets will be spending their first round pick on yet another defensive player, most likely a safety or CB.

Exactly free agency is mainly about improving our team but what you do also affects what other teams do as well. New England sat back signed Revis and laughed at us yet again.

It's still a mystery to me, though, why we couldn't have done about as much as the Giants did. We had twice the space to work with, and honestly, the Giants weren't any closer to a Superbowl than we were when this off-season began.

Don't forget what the Patriots did as well.

It's still a mystery to me, though, why we couldn't have done about as much as the Giants did. We had twice the space to work with, and honestly, the Giants weren't any closer to a Superbowl than we were when this off-season began.

The Giants are all in on their QB, they are going to do whatever they can year in and year out to win, which sometimes means mortgaging their future.  Lets look back at this in a year and see which team's players over- or under-perform relative to their contracts. 

Oh man, I missed the part where we had a QB who's won two super bowls (and was the MVP in both of them)

Shut up.

Shhhh... it'll be better if people figure it out after about 10 months of this sh*t.

The Giants are all in on their QB, they are going to do whatever they can year in and year out to win, which sometimes means mortgaging their future.  Lets look back at this in a year and see which team's players over- or under-perform relative to their contracts. 

Eh. I'm not saying that Geno is better than Eli, but... Eli has actually led the league in picks 2 years in a row now. With upgrades at the skill positions, it's at least conceivable that Geno could have a better season this year than Eli.

Oh man, I missed the part where we had a QB who's won two super bowls (and was the MVP in both of them)

Led the league in interceptions 2 years in a row. Again, not to say that Geno is better for sure, but with some increased experience and upgrades at the skill positions, it's quite possible that he will have a better year than Eli.

Eh. I'm not saying that Geno is better than Eli, but... Eli has actually led the league in picks 2 years in a row now. With upgrades at the skill positions, it's at least conceivable that Geno could have a better season this year than Eli.

Never said I believe in Eli, just that the Giants clearly do.  When you have a franchise QB or believe that you have one, you consider yourself a contender year in and year out and will act in FA and the draft accordingly.  If Geno had already won two superbowls, I would imagine Idzik would be acting fairly differently. 

I don't think there's any chance whatsoever that Idzik is attempting to tank this season.  I'll do cartwheels though if we get Kaepernick in free agency next year (though I can't imagine the 49ers wouldn't re-sign him).  

I don't think there's any chance whatsoever that Idzik is attempting to tank this season.  I'll do cartwheels though if we get Kaepernick in free agency next year (though I can't imagine the 49ers wouldn't re-sign him).  

No.  Technically, he's not "tanking". But he's not pulling out the stops to be competitive for the short term either; he is focused on the bigger picture.  Sometimes that approach resembles "tanking".  

If I remember correctly, I believe the Jets have spent about $95 million, that's with Sanchez on the roster. The cap floor is $119 million. When (if?) they cut/restructure Sanchez, that'll be another how much to spend?

They'll have to spend at least another $25 million, just to hit the cap floor. Something's going to happen. Stop acting like hormonal teenage girls. Christ, Tannenbaum made big splashes in free agency, and look at how that worked out.

Congratulations John Idzik!

The Jets rank last in "NFL Estimated Cash Spending" at $88,927,975 (just behind the Raiders) and Cash to Cap Ratio of .881

We'll see if Mr. Idzik can repeat this feat next year, as the Jets slowly build for a wild-card appearance in 2016

Keep up the good work.

http://overthecap.com/nfl-cash-space.php?Year=2014

Archived