Seattle's roster construction, as it stands currently

Jetsfan80

What's the deal with Goodson?  Is he fully recovered from his surgery?  Is he prison bound?  I haven't seen or heard anything about his future with the team recently.

Ever since the media couldn't talk about him being in rehab it's as if they're treating him like he doesn't exist.  It's bizarre.

This is the last mention of him, from Feb 23:  http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/35880/sunday-notes-heard-around-the-combine

Mere speculation from Cimini, as expected.  And nothing since.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever since the media couldn't talk about him being in rehab it's as if they're treating him like he doesn't exist.  It's bizarre.

This is the last mention of him, from Feb 23:  http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/35880/sunday-notes-heard-around-the-combine

Mere speculation from Cimini, as expected.  And nothing since.

Maybe he is in a legal holding pattern until rehab is completed.   If he is back and contributes, I see it strictly a bonus.  We'll get a RB somewhere in the draft, I think.    

Has to make you proud as a webmaster.  I still remember the scouting report on 80.  Boy were they wrong.

JetsFan80:

Pro's

• Shows a lot of moxie and poise.  Strong intangibles -- Hard working, won't be out-posted.
  • High motor, high volume poster.  Relentless.
  • Great understanding of meme's.

Con's

• No posting experience at the college level outside of intramural message boards, will it translate?
  • Lacks elite "zip" on his posts.
  • Questionable time in the words per minute.  Average speed at best.
  • Doesn't have crisp topic focus.  Tends to stray and lose focus at times, often posting meme's for the sake of posting meme's.

Comparisons:

Jetsfan80 doesn't match up with conventional big time message board posters.  

Evaluation:

Non-impact poster, banned from the board in 2-3 years tops.  Certainly won't be as unbannable as PatsfanTx.

Fantastic job, but you do realize that you are now going to be expected to do this for absolutely everyone, right?

but that guy in my office is a giants fan and I told him a month ago the jets were gonna rule free agency and now I look like a tool

damn you idzik !!!!!

We got Decker and that guy with the funny name and didn't sign drc to a five year deal. #winning

I don't care, nor should you, if there were qbs who were available last year that played within the last two seasons but aren't franchise qb. They still would have done jack sh*t for our franchise so what does it matter. Unless you think they would've made us SB contenders.

A viable alternative at QB would've allowed the Jets to more effectively bench Geno when he really needed to be benched. Maybe a Jason Campbell could've won one of those winnable games during the Jets post-bye losing streak. One win there, and the Jets are in the playoffs. Were the Jets Super Bowl contenders last year? Of course not. But playoff experience of any kind would've been valuable for the young team.

This blew up on Facebook and Twitter.  You also made the front page of YES Network.com as well.  Thanks.

I don't see glorifying Jetsfan80 as ultimately good for the site. Pretty short-sighted move, Max.

I understand where you're coming from, I do. I am concerned that we are putting an awful lot of faith in Idzik's ability to draft. He did well with Richardson and it seems that Milliner will turn out to be a very good player as well. The rest is an incomplete and I felt it wouldn't be breaking the bank to try and sign a CB, especially with the cap going up by about 17 mil over the next two years. That's the root of my disappointment, not getting a known commodity when there were such available. I could give a rat's ass about Pettigrew or anyone else we were "interested" in. I also don't like the idea of having to draft a CB now. I thought we were drafting BPA, but that smells a little bit like drafting for need. That's all.

This seems pretty damn fair to me. It's not about needing the Jets to sign every free agent, or the most expensive free agents. I'd've been a lot happier to this point if they managed to sign Browner or Thurmond at CB.

I also really think the Ivory pickup was big.  People say "well he can't catch passes".  Does it matter?  There are plenty of fine RB's in the league who can't catch passes worth a lick.  That's where, hopefully, Mike Goodson will come in handy for us next season.

It matters. A starting RB who's a threat in the passing game keeps the defense on their toes. As it stands now, if Ivory is in the game, it's a running play. At least Powell offers some versatility. Even if the Jets run a pass play with Ivory on the field, he can't even be used as a safety valve dump-off. Somehow that's supposed to be overlooked for 833 yards of rushing? The guy is the most overrated pickup for the Jets that I can remember.

It matters. A starting RB who's a threat in the passing game keeps the defense on their toes. As it stands now, if Ivory is in the game, it's a running play. At least Powell offers some versatility. Even if the Jets run a pass play with Ivory on the field, he can't even be used as a safety valve dump-off. Somehow that's supposed to be overlooked for 833 yards of rushing? The guy is the most overrated pickup for the Jets that I can remember.

He was hurt for a large portion of the first half of the season so I don't see how you can overlook 833 yards.  Everyone was saying Powell was the better back around week 6.  By the end of the year this was a laughable statement.

Dude had 4.5 ypc despite everyone knowing a run is coming, behind a suspect run-blocking unit, and with defenses stacking the box against our rookie QB.  I'd say that's pretty impressive.  He created his own yardage a lot of the time.

No, he isn't a good pass-catcher, but he's good at what he does.  Idzik brought him in because of his Marshawn Lynch tendencies.  Does it matter that Lynch isn't really much of a pass-catcher?  Nope. 

We haven't had a RB like Ivory in a long time.  Used to be we had RB's who took what the line gave them.  Even Thomas Jones was in that category.

but that guy in my office is a giants fan and I told him a month ago the jets were gonna rule free agency and now I look like a tool

damn you idzik !!!!!

I just dont see the Giants as that good for a SB run w/SF and Sea in NFC and they just spent a ton of cap cash that will hurt i n a few years IMHO

No, he isn't a good pass-catcher, but he's good at what he does.  Idzik brought him in because of his Marshawn Lynch tendencies.  Does it matter that Lynch isn't really much of a pass-catcher?  Nope. 

We haven't had a RB like Ivory in a long time.  Used to be we had RB's who took what the line gave them.  Even Thomas Jones was in that category.

Marshawn Lynch caught 36 passes last year for 316 yards and two TDs. He has over 100 receptions in four years with Seattle. Chris Ivory has caught five passes total in his three year career. He's completely useless as a receiver, and that renders the offense one-dimensional when he's on the field.

We have had a RB more similar to Ivory than Thomas Jones since Thomas Jones (who caught 74 passes for 482 yards in three years as a Jet), his name is Shonn Greene. Of course, even tiny-hands Greene managed 65 receptions for 482 yards.

Ivory would be an excellent piece as the downhill runner protecting a lead, but his complete inability to catch a pass makes him a liability as a starter, IMHO.

Fantastic job, but you do realize that you are now going to be expected to do this for absolutely everyone, right?

"If you're good at something, never do it free"

My demands are a free premium membership.

Marshawn Lynch caught 36 passes last year for 316 yards and two TDs. He has over 100 receptions in four years with Seattle. Chris Ivory has caught five passes total in his three year career. He's completely useless as a receiver, and that renders the offense one-dimensional when he's on the field.

We have had a RB more similar to Ivory than Thomas Jones since Thomas Jones (who caught 74 passes for 482 yards in three years as a Jet), his name is Shonn Greene. Of course, even tiny-hands Greene managed 65 receptions for 482 yards.

Ivory would be an excellent piece as the downhill runner protecting a lead, but his complete inability to catch a pass makes him a liability as a starter, IMHO.

I think you're simply putting too much stock in that.  If he rushes for 4.5 ypc he's doing his job.  If Goodson is available and we draft another RB, we'll have a dearth of options as pass-catchers.  If he's such a liability he wouldn't have any success as a runner because of his one-dimensional nature.  But he does have success at what he does, so he was well worth the 4th round pick. 

Ivory was never intended to be the every down back.  Just a quality addition to our RBBC.  What's wrong with that?

Has to make you proud as a webmaster.  I still remember the scouting report on 80.  Boy were they wrong.

JetsFan80:

Pro's

• Shows a lot of moxie and poise.  Strong intangibles -- Hard working, won't be out-posted.
  • High motor, high volume poster.  Relentless.
  • Great understanding of meme's.

Con's

• No posting experience at the college level outside of intramural message boards, will it translate?
  • Lacks elite "zip" on his posts.
  • Questionable time in the words per minute.  Average speed at best.
  • Doesn't have crisp topic focus.  Tends to stray and lose focus at times, often posting meme's for the sake of posting meme's.

Comparisons:

Jetsfan80 doesn't match up with conventional big time message board posters.  

Evaluation:

Non-impact poster, banned from the board in 2-3 years tops.  Certainly won't be as unbannable as PatsfanTx.

Just saw this.  That is awesome!

Great post!!!!!!!!!!

Archived